Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

The exact details depend on exactly when you're looking, but if anything WWE has trended towards taping fewer shows at once.

At the nadir in the New Generation, they were sometimes doing 3 tapings at the shittiest venues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I wanna get a month of Stardom World. Is there anything particular I oughtta seek out on it?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Awesome. If I can ever get past the subscription screen, I will seek these out. (It doesn't want to accept either card I have, I've tried in both languages, and with date in both orders.)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

They're definitely trying to put in reminders of how good he is with the recent subplot of him finding weird angry intensity, even if it's in matches that don't really matter. They've been extremely heavy on Kenny Omega offense if just to keep him simmering on the back burner. Dynamite is still trying to introduce more of its characters and build some storylines, but Kenny isn't going to be booked in a slump forever.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Where the hell has Aleister Black been

like I haven't been watching WWE for months but generally I at least get what's going on from twitter people and gif accounts and stuff

Did he piss someone off?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ranger Ross? He wasn't a huge star but the army Patriot thing went a long way.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

God wrestling crowds were so amped back then.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Alberto's enzuigiri was a thing of absolute art, but despite what WWE2K15 told me, you can't just make a match off nothing but enzuigiris.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It still blows my mind that WWE saw some broke-rear end TV show make Alberto white-hot and they didn't follow in that path. MexAmerica was just throwing money into a loving incinerator.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yukaichiban posted:

Interested in this but felt it isn't thread worthy; if wrestling died tomorrow and we knew it was happening in some weird hypothetical, what do you want the final wrestling match ever to be?

Katsuyori Shibata vs. Tyson Kidd

Stipulation: You'll know when it's over.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Lid posted:

Alberto is charged with rape amd kidnapping, burned every bridge he ever had, and will go down as having all the success he could possibly want handed to him by winning the genetic lottery and being born into Mexican lucha royalty. Hes a better looking Teddy Hart.

I mean are we judging by whether someone is a huge piece of poo poo or whether they didn't accomplish anything, because Berto's one and not the other.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Was Mutoh billed as a face in the US ever? I have this vague fever dream type memory of him getting a face vignette as Super Black Ninja but that would have to be in WCCW and that's before Ninja Turtles set off the ninja craze for kids I think.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What's the worst gimmick to get over, such that it stands as an indictment of us as wrestling fans?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Eugene was popular

Related, I'm not sure if Norman the Lunatic's face roles later were a Eugene esque exploitation or not. Like was Trucker Norman just a trucker or Norman the Lunatic *thinking* he was a trucker?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Norman became a trucker

I guess that explains why he was so fixated on those keys

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Dacap posted:

I’ve been thinking about watching through Lucha Underground as I’ve never seen it beyond a few matches.

Is there a pared down watch list of episodes to to go through to see kind of the main story beats and best matches, or should I just watch it in its entirety?

A common answer is to start with Aztec Warfare 1 because season 1 is kind of stalling for time while they get everyone's visa issues worked out at first.

And yeah I agree watch the first three seasons. Four has some good wrestling but the show just isn't what it was.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Did Jazzy really quit because she thought people playing Secret Hitler was a jab at her being German

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Does any promotion in the English speaking world do King's Road style battle of wills poo poo

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Things I hate?

I'd pay money to never see the rapid-fire punch-trading that looks fake as hell again.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Seams posted:

I hate it when somebody puts on a submission in the middle of the ring and the commentators go "ITS LOCKED IN THEY HAVE NOWHERE TO GO" and then the other wrestler gets to the ropes. Guess it wasn't loving locked in was it idiot. Also not a very good submission if the other wrestler can survive it for ages AND crawl to the ropes.

I'm convinced you can make that work if commentary establishes the difference between a simple pain hold and one that will legitimately break ligaments or whatever. Like an STF just hurts but a Kimura will put you on the shelf or whatever. That way you establish a tier of submissions to preserve those spots and also allow other submissions to win matches without making the guy who taps out look like a chump.

edit: For a spot I love, I love those fighting spirit moments where someone doesn't fully no-sell offense but kind of just delays the sell. Like you get clobbered with a finisher, kick out at one, beat the gently caress out of the other guy and then fall over half-dead. That poo poo rules.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

In all honesty, I assumed "Tama Tonga would do well in WWE" was a joke about him looking like Roman Reigns.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If I wanted to spend money watching Japanese dudes chop the poo poo out of each other, and streaming or DVDs are an option, what's the best bang for my buck?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What happens, hypothetically, if they pick up Yuji Okabayashi

Like how do you package that

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Samoa Joe's theme was good but I legitimately can't think of another great one that didn't involve another talent.

Nakamura's was fine, I GUESS.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What's the deal with Samoa Joe vs. Necro Butcher? I hear about it all the time but have avoided it because I'm not into death match wrestling.

Is it something I need to see anyway? What's so important about it?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Why is the late Alabama Doink known and talked about vs. any other number of fake Doinks around the country? Like what made this one part of peoples' wrestling knowledge?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Are there any wrestlers of note that had a wizard gimmick? Not just users of magic but an out-and-out loving *wizard*. (And not Grand Wizard Ernie Roth.) Bonus points if you have photos, videos, or even stories.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Lid posted:

Kevin Nash as Oz

I just watched a match. What the gently caress. Why would you take a giant brute and package him as a loving wizard

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

karmicknight posted:

Warner Media owned both WCW and a large collection of films and it was the idea of someone in charge of WCW to leverage Warner's film connection to create a bunch of wrestlers to reference classic films that warner had the rights to.

God they really did a Space Jam 2 to him. Wow.

Were there other wrestling wizards? Any that wrestled maybe a little wizardly/cerebrally? Like when I think of a wrestling wizard I think of maybe The Genius with less gay panic and maybe some Phantasio-style gimmicks.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Friend of mine is playing World Wide Wrestling RPG and has made a convict character who's a big power-move wrestler but with good workrate. Accordingly, he's looking for some especially fancy power moves and/or things that fit the convict theme. I'll need video examples for anything because he's not a wrestling guy at all. He's relying on me and a couple friends to clue him in.

For the convict theme, I've shown him several Electric Chair setup maneuvers including OWA, Croyt's Wrath, and the Electric Chair Facebuster, which imo is more appropriately a power-guy move than a finesse one like the others. I showed him the Lethal Injection even though he's probably not a flippy guy.

For just cool looking power moves I showed him the F5, Falling Crucifix Powerbomb, Delayed Vertical Suplex, the Spinebuster (especially since it has so many styles), End of Days, Deep Six, everything Matanza/Jeff Cobb does, Pumphandle Powerbomb, Military Press Slam.

What other flashy/complicated power moves am I missing? Does anyone do an Electric Chair Lungblower? That sounds horrifying. I tried to find that Total Bellas clip where Bryan Danielson shows Nikki Bella the ripcord forearm smash but can't find it. Open to other ideas.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I kinda tried to sell him on the idea that great big men do more with less, but he wants to be a giant with Movez. I'm cool with that, but it changes the search a bit.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Screwdriver and Jackhammer were big ones I absolutely missed. Also suggested the Samoa Joe Uranage and Muscle Buster.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

When I was playing in e-feds in the 90s, we all wanted to play the Undertaker who could also do the Inverted Reverse Pineapple Upside Down Cake Death Driver that we'd just seen in some video from Japan.

Yeah, like if he were trying to build an actual wrestling career, I'd strongly encourage against all this, but for elfgames with wrestlers? Sure, do a Springboard German to the exposed concrete or whatever. It ain't your joints.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

My cousin got thrown out of an ROH taping because he kept shouting that while he was drunk. I've always wondered if any of his shouting made it to broadcast.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Kosmo Gallion posted:

WWE has been garbage for over a decade, especially the last 18 months.

But what are some good things WWE has promoted in the last 18 months? Bayley/Sasha? Drew's main event run? Lashley and the Hurt Business? Walter? Bianca (until SummerSlam)?

Probably a hot take but the Firefly Funhouse match was some wild, daring poo poo and I had a lot of fun watching it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I fell out of sync with New Japan. What happened to Kitamura?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Not that I want them to get work again but I'd like to see the Starr vs. Quackenbush match from JJSB2 with a crowd that knows they're both shitheads.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

WCCW had two refs in their double-ring matches.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is Braun Strrowman's Champion of Islam belt back up for grabs or does he hold that title forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

2/27/2020 - The Undertaker wins the Tuwaiq Mountain Trophy.

Undertaker defended the Tuwaiq Mountain Trophy in THE BONEYARD and retired. I have not yet played the New Day Netflix Halloween movie, but it's possible that it's possible win all of these prestigious items if you make the right choices in the game.

I think it's cool that they brought back the Aggro Crag just for Taker.