Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Yeah, 2008 Cena and 2010 Edge.

I wouldn't even really count Mr. Perfect as a surprise entrant. They went into the show making a medium-sized deal out of the fact that Perfect, Goldust, Val Venis and Godfather would be showing up. It's even in the show's intro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

LividLiquid posted:

WhatCulture Wrestling isn't interesting, but it kills time and Simon Miller's enthusiasm is always good for that parasocial jolt.

That's a perfect description.

I've started watching of Wrestling with Wregret. I don't watch the show review episodes, but his other stuff is pretty solid. Plus he tends to rein in the comedy sketch stuff, which is death for me when it comes to YouTube personalities.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

He also used a bunch of them in Chikara for a time. Back in 2015 he was hyping yet another BS retirement tour. When the 2016 season started, he was pretty much told, "No, you said you were retiring. You gave up the rights to the Chuck Taylor name. Somebody else already picked it up." So Stokely Hathaway made his debut in Chikara as R&B singer Chuck Taylor TM while the original had to start calling himself other names.

Apparently, just losing his name caused Orange Cassidy to no longer physically recognize him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What is Kevin Nash's best match from a workrate point of view?

Probably his match with Bret at Survivor Series 1995.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I wish WWE signed him. He would have been the perfect spokesman for their social media video product.

"Who are you to Tout El Dandy?"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Since we're on the subject; actually funny wrestling skits/matches? Kurt had a lot of good stuff if we're being honest.

That time Bryce Remsburg took a bullet for Ashley Remington.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBv8UoLc3yk

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

SLUM KING posted:

There was a Scott Norton vs Ernest Miller match on Nitro that was surprisingly fun. Then I think they had a rematch not long after and it was dogshit like every other Miller match.

It was part of a pretty fun angle. Cat's in the ring, cutting a promo on how he can kick anyone's rear end, basically doing an open challenge. Backstage, the nWo's watching this and someone starts going, "Hey, Norton! The Cat's calling you out!" with everyone else going with it. Norton storms out mid-shave and goes ballistic. He runs to the ring and kicks Cat's rear end.

Then for the next couple weeks, Cat would specifically call out Norton and get thrashed. This led to a PPV match where Cat finally got his win and that was it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I was a fan of Santino referring to him as the Honky Donkey Man.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm updating my guide to King of Trios article and I was wondering if I could get help with the guys I don't know. Just a paragraph of info.

- The Carnies (Nick Iggy, Kerry Awful, and Tripp Cassidy)
- The Embassy (Prince Nana, Jimmy Rave, and Sal Rinauro)
- Lance Lude and Rob Killjoy from the Ugly Ducklings (on Team Quack Attack with Mike Quackenbush)
- Thomas Santell and Kris Statlander (on Team Nerder Death Kris with Nick Gage)
- Freddie Mercurio (on Team Queens with Solo Darling and Willow Nightingale)
- VeloCities (Paris De Silva, Jude London, and Mat Diamond)

Freddie Mercurio's deal seems to explain itself, but I was wondering if there's more to him than "Freddie Mercury as a wrestler."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Aesop Poprock posted:

That was the last time I watched a wrestlemania with a group of people as it was happening and all of us indy loving workrate smart fans were losing our goddamned minds at how fun that match was

To add to the match, me and my friends did a Price is Right thing where we each tried to guess on how long the match would go. Very exciting when added to all that finisher spam.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Has there been a worse top babyface in WWE than Seth fr*cking Rollins?

I'm going to say Lex Luger. He was basically Vince's attempt to replace Hogan, but without any of the explosive charisma or the ability to win important matches.

His run as top guy goes as thus:

- Badass, albeit random, face turn where he shows up via helicopter at the USS Intrepid to bodyslam Yokozuna.

- Builds towards his SummerSlam title match via the Lex Express. Those segments were death to watch.

- Even though it's stated that SummerSlam is his one and only shot against Yokozuna for the title, Luger wins via count-out and celebrates as if he won the title.

- Pivots into a feud with Ludvig Borga (aka Dumpy Lesnar) and does win the feud via being the sole survivor in the Survivor Series main event.

- Gets to be in the Royal Rumble as his "okay, but after THIS, no more opportunities at Yokozuna's title" window into the championship. He co-wins with Bret Hart and the post-match reaction from the crowd makes it apparent that Bret is way more popular.

- In the WrestleMania X mini-tournament, Luger gets first shot at Yokozuna. Right before the match, it's announced that Mr. Perfect (who hadn't been heard from in months) is the special referee. Perfect proceeds to screw Luger over and the two get in a pull-apart brawl backstage. Perfect immediately vanishes off TV, meaning Luger has no way of getting his heat back.

- Luger spends the next half a year feuding with the Million Dollar Corporation, which could presumably help him bounce back into the main event. Instead, he loses the feud at Survivor Series. He spends the remainder of the WWF run in a tag team with the British Bulldog. Bulldog turns heel and Luger is a left in the dust. His last major appearance is at SummerSlam, where he does a run-in to help Diesel, but Diesel beats him up anyway.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Helicity posted:

Yeah but torture rack > curb stomp

But Luger didn't do the torture rack in WWF.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

One of the top Big Show moments is when he was cutting a promo about how much he wanted to punch Triple H in the face and his eyes started bulging out of his skull in a completely inhuman way. After that I started fan-casting him as the Heavy for if they ever make a Team Fortress movie.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jerusalem posted:

It was from back when he was The Giant in WCW, but I have always loved the scene in The Waterboy where Captain Insano laughs so hard he starts crying :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex7xsCFI_c8

Within a year of that movie coming out, Adam Sandler released a song called "Seven Foot Man" and I always wondered if it was inspired by working with Big Show.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Probably his WWF debut because I wasn't 100% sure it was going to be him. Then "JERICHO" appeared on the tron and the place went nuts, followed by him doing the iconic pose for the first time.

Underrated Jericho moment: telling Mankind that the only reason so many people read his book was to see if he died at the end.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t know anything about wrestling. How do I know if a show/match/whatever I’m watching is good?

I suggest watching Hulk Hogan vs. Ultimate Warrior from WrestleMania 6, followed by Hulk Hogan vs. Ultimate Warrior from Halloween Havoc '98. The drastic difference in quality should be helpful.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Schneider Heim posted:

When wrestlers debut a new move or finisher, the commentary team is usually given a heads up on what it's called, right? Has there been instances wherein the wrestler themselves say what the move's called?

The Chikara Special fits in with this. Mike Quackenbush and Chris Hero had a lengthy feud where Hero kept ducking a singles match until he got overconfident. The match played up how well the two knew each other and their moves, culminating in Quack busting out a new submission that Hero had no answer to and tapped out. On the DVD, Quack cut a post-match promo where he named it the Chikara Special and threatened to teach it to all of his students so everyone could make Hero tap.

But my favorite story for how a move got named is when Bret Hart started his singles career. Nobody knew how to call his finisher until he did a match on Wrestling Challenge, where Jim Neidhart was on the commentary team. Neidhart referred to it as the Sharpshooter because of course Bret tells him these things.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

frankenfreak posted:

Is that what they call it now?

That's so cool!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TheCool69 posted:

Thinking about Seth and Fiend and how lame ot really was, I want to know some real blood feuds or rivalries that had real heat and satisfying and beliavable end?

Undertaker destroyed Edge in an awesome match and followed it up by throwing him into Hell.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Manwall! posted:

People often talk about dream matches, but what are some potential nightmare matches you can think of; matches that never happened but would have almost certainly been either complete shitshows or so lacking in chemistry as to be unwatchable?

Giant Gonzalez vs. Great Khali.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

War Horse keeps showing up on my Twitter feed. What's his deal? Is he any good? Because he comes off as Earth-3 Ultimate Warrior where he takes the same basic gimmick but an indie wrestling style and is presumably not human garbage.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Especially because Moxley was very open and honest about suffering from depression in WWE and Seth Rollins came out with some bullshit about how Moxley couldn't cut it with the big boys and took his ball and went home and poo poo like that.

It makes me think about how Hogan pulled that poo poo when Edge had to retire, which wasn't quite on the Rollins/Moxley level, but they were once a tag team based on Edge's hero worship, so it still felt especially gross to me.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Huntman posted:

CHIKARA is probably the best example of this if I had to guess. I haven't kept up with them in a long time, but they did a whole time travel storyline that I remember sticking out pretty well, someone more well versed in CHIKARA can probably explain it better than me.

Yeah, that one worked out mainly because it focused on one guy.

A good example of a lengthy story written ahead of time affected in parts by the chaos of indie wrestling is the whole BDK storyline. The whole thing was essentially a three-year angle. 2009 was about Chikara having a bunch of minor angles where nothing seemed to stand out as the focus, only for everything to culminate in a year-ending segment where Claudio Castognoli was revealed to be a heel and had a full-on nWo stable at his beck and call. It was immediately understood why all those guys were working for him against Chikara due to their own arcs. 2010 was about the BDK dominating the company in pretty much every possible way, only for Chikara to gradually fight back and get some major wins towards the end that took away the BDK's mystique and power. In 2011, they were a top heel faction, but no longer what they used to be. A round robin tournament was held to crown the first ever Grand Champion and it led to the BDK imploding, all while top face Eddie Kingston won the tournament during the season finale.

There's a lot of people involved in that and while things ultimately worked out, there were still some issues and hiccups that needed to be worked around.

1) In 2009, there was a mysterious masked man named Vokoder showing up to stalk and threaten UltraMantis Black. The original plan was that he was Sami Callihan, which made plenty of sense. Even some close-up photos from fans made it apparent that Callihan was under the mask. Then some kind of falling out happened and he stopped showing up. Afterwards, Vokoder was changed to being Tim Donst (again, you could sort of tell it was him if you saw a close-up pic). Still made plenty of sense when he unmasked, but Callihan probably would have made for a better twist.

2) King of Trios 2010 was supposed to have the BDK's A-team defeat Team Mexico in the opening round. Team member Skayde was basically Quack's RL mentor and was in charge of getting the teammates together. He not only failed to secure them (they took other bookings that weekend), but he kept demanding more money over the phone. Quack ended up cutting ties with him for good and they instead had the BDK face a team "randomly selected" by a corrupt authority figure where Amasis and Ophidian were forced to team up with BDK member Sara Del Rey, who kept trying to throw the match. It ended up getting the BDK over a bit more as heels and gave us a few good hope spots.

3) In 2010, they were building towards a mask vs. mask match between Equinox and BDK's Lince Dorado. Not only did Lince start no-showing events, but Quack got pissed at him for showing up on a Scott Hall YouTube documentary with no mask while identifying himself. Not sure which of those events happened first. Either way, Lince was gone and his existence/feud was swept under the rug.

4) Eddie Kingston and Claudio Castagnoli never got to have their blowoff match. The original idea seemed to be to have them be the finals for the Grand Championship tournament, but instead it became apparent that Claudio was signing with WWE. Instead, he jobbed out a bunch in the brackets and his final in-ring appearance was losing to Sara Del Rey, putting the focus on her. They instead did Quack vs. Eddie as the finals and at least had Claudio do a talking heads segment about why it was such a big deal.

There was also the tragic blow of Larry Sweeney's suicide in early 2011, but that shockingly had no effect on anything story-related, unless they intended on having him feud with Pinkie Sanchez.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Halloween Jack posted:

Since UltraMantis Black adopted his current name, have they ever done an angle with an UltraMantis Red or Gold or whatever?

Over a dozen ants, but only one mantis.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jerusalem posted:

A few years ago there was a show, PPV I think, where Vince McMahon does a backstage segment. After the segment he's left alone in the room and turns around and has a vision of himself from the 80s (blue jacket and all) and looks startled, then moves on. I can't remember if it was a cardboard cutout of himself or if it was an Ultimate Warrior style mirror hallucination, and to the best of my knowledge NOTHING ever came of it. I think it might have been meant to be the start of some kind of angle where Vince realizes what a monstrous caricature of himself he has become, but if so it got abandoned almost before it began. Does anybody remember the particular show or have a screenshot/gif/clip?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that this was during that brief stretch where they brought back Saturday Night's Main Event. It was the intro to the first new episode with I guess Vince feeling all nostalgic for what he was like during the original run.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DeathChicken posted:

WWE really likes that whole bit. There was also the time Orton was feuding with Undertaker, Orton hallucinated Cowboy Bob covered in blood. Then he was fine so it was made clear that we, the audience, were apparently hallucinating along with Randy, and uigoigoi

I recall WWECW having a bit where Zack Ryder saw Rosa Mendes for the first time backstage, then we got to see him fantasizing about them being a couple.

Also, there was that major WTF segment about Mark Henry, JBL and El Torito that I'm not going to begin to describe.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TV Zombie posted:

Does Brodie Lee own his name? I know that, that is his name on the indies but I associate that name with Chikara and Quack is kinda anal about this stuff, I believe.

He wrestled as Brodie Lee for several years before joining Chikara. Though Quack did give him the "Big Rig" gimmick, which translated into his Luke Harper look.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Low Desert Punk posted:

has there ever been anything said on WWE television that's funnier than "BIG UPS to my boys limp bizkit"

Luther Reigns angrily pointing out that he's eaten peas at least once, as a way to somehow tie into his former, rough life as a convict.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I had Wrestlemania X-7 on video when I was a kid and sadly they cut out Heyman's BIG UPS to Limp Bizkit. :(

They also cut out Heenan's "It's great to be back at Wrestlemania, Tony" gag. It was weird because even though they also cut out Mean Gene sputtering "Tony!?" in response, they left in him saying "Are you puttin' me on??". That confused the hell out of me back then.

What are some other random wrestling edits that are rarely talked about?

With Royal Rumble 2014, they removed the shot of Kane crouching near the barricade minutes before his SURPRISING attack on CM Punk that nobody saw coming.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Ganso Bomb posted:

I don't know how it ranks on the lists, but the Mr Perfect turn after Heenan slapped him on Prime Time is loving incredible.

This will always be my favorite one. It's just so well done and is one of those special wrestling moments where poo poo is hosed due to real life and they pull out a gem with their backs to the wall.

For those who haven't seen it, the storyline was that Randy Savage and the Ultimate Warrior had a face vs. face title match at SummerSlam, which was ruined by Ric Flair and his "executive consultant" Mr. Perfect (who hadn't wrestled since the previous SummerSlam). Flair beat Savage for the title shortly after... which he then lost to Bret Hart, taking the belt out of the story. Savage and Warrior became a tag team based on being over-the-top lunatics in silly sunglasses and were set to face Flair and Razor Ramon (who was new to the company and was getting a brief main event heel push) at Survivor Series.

A couple weeks before the PPV, Warrior quit WWF. Or was fired for using human growth hormone. Whatever. He was off the show. The only silver lining was that his last segment was using his body to shield Savage from a beatdown, which at least wrote him off in kayfabe.

They had all the Superstars and Wrestling Challenge episodes taped. All they had to work with to pivot the story was Prime Time Wrestling, which at the time was just about Vince McMahon, Bobby Heenan, Mr. Perfect, Jim Duggan and Hillbilly Jim discussing storylines and showing clips from house shows. They dedicated one episode to basically rebuilding their big Survivor Series match by having Savage appear via satellite to say that he wanted Mr. Perfect to be his partner. Heenan, Flair, Razor and even Perfect laughed their asses off at this idea. Perfect and Flair were buds! Perfect was in Flair's corner! Why the hell would Perfect be his opponent?

But as the two hours continued, cracks started to show. Flair's confidence started to get a little out of hand and he went from saying Perfect wouldn't take him on to saying Perfect couldn't take him on. Savage made it apparent that he respected Perfect and wondered why he was stuck on the sidelines. Perfect started to question it himself, all while Flair and Heenan insisted on talking for him. Was it in his best interest to be the "executive consultant" or was it just a way for Flair to keep one of his greatest potential threats under his thumb?

Then when it came time for Perfect to give his answer, Heenan tried to control him and bit off more than he could chew. It finally pushed Perfect into siding with Savage, which made Heenan slap him out of anger and immediately grovel upon realizing what he did. Perfect humiliated Heenan to end the show and that one episode of Prime Time sold a Warriorless PPV.

Then we got Perfect vs. Flair, in what was probably the first truly great match in Raw history.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jerusalem posted:

Daniel Bryan vs. loving Sheamus AGAIN :lol:

That was it. That was their big plan for the Yes Movement. Sheamus.

And I actually like Sheamus! But even so, :laugh:

YOU!

WANT!

SHEAMUS!!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

In the MOTYC thread, Jersualem said that Okada vs. Naito was seven years in the making. Since Wrestle Kingdom's main event was a mini-tournament, there was no real primer on that finals going in and all I knew was that they were past due on pulling the trigger on Naito and this was the time for it.

So what's the big backstory to it all?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gaz-L posted:

Oh boy.

OK, Naito was being groomed as early as 2013 as the successor to Tanahashi, the clean cut smiling babyface who had a big spectacular high flying finisher and would take the torch and be the rival to the young hotshot heel Kazuchika Okada. The problem is it wasn't working. He wasn't over, and when he won the G1 and came out to make the final challenge for the Wrestle Kingdom main event, even the crickets were silent. This forced NJPW to rethink the whole card and come up with a hail mary, which was to call a fan poll on whether the world title match (Okada/Naito) or the IC title (Nakamura/Tanahashi) would go on last. The fans voted for Shinsuke and Tana. So Naito is the only guy, since the briefcase tradition started, to win the G1 but NOT get his title match as the official main event at the Dome. He then spent a year or two dicking around the upper mid-card but basically being bland and pretty much not over despite the booking's best efforts. So he went back on a mini-excursion to CMLL (the same kind that resulted in Nakamura becoming the King Of Strong Style that got him over) where he met up with La Sombra and friends, Los Ingobernables. He basically went full rudo, telling racist fans to gently caress off and parodying their own racism back at them. And when he got back to Japan, he kept doing that and found some like minded buddies in EVIL and Bushi to hang out with, deciding that if the company and fans didn't want him when he worked his rear end off for them, then he was going to tell them to piss off and do the bare minimum and STILL be better. Eventually this led to him winning the world title, but only after outside interference and at Dominion, in Osaka, where he has the most heat of all. He also wins the IC title during this time and absolutely shits on it, smashing it against the ringposts, dragging it on the floor, straight up refusing to take it back to the locker room, basically just taking out the frustration he feels at being passed over for this white leather strap that was basically only invented to give MVP a vanity belt.

Fast forward to 2 years ago. Naito and LIJ have gradually turned babyface, being more anti-establishment anti-heroes, and Naito wins the G1 again. THIS time, he gets his main event with Okada, but he gets just too caught up in the moment and it costs him, he loses and it feels like this was his last chance to exorcise the demons from WK8. So he drifts back to the IC title, his relationship with it becoming more complicated as he reconciles his anger at it with the fact that winning it does in fact put him on some what of a pedestal. He more or less forgives it at WK13 when he refuses to use it on Jericho, showing the belt respect for once.

That led to him deciding if he can't best Okada in any other way, length of reign, being the youngest champion, most reigns or defences... He'll do it the only way open. By embracing the intercontinental title and being the first ever guy to hold it AND the world title at the same time. And then Ibushi and White decided to butt in and say they wanted to do that too. White even won the IC title in the autumn, pulling the goal one step further from Naito's grasp. But then ANOTHER fan poll got held to see if the fans wanted Naito's idea of the Double Gold Dash to happen. And they did. The fans chose Naito after 7 years.

That's awesome. Thank you.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Silly Burrito posted:

This and the video were great, but why was Perfect out for a year? Legit injury?

oldpainless posted:

Recurring back problems I believe

Yeah, his back was majorly hosed. His last hurrah was dropping the Intercontinental Championship to Bret Hart at SummerSlam '91, which is the best way to do it.

After his face turn, he feuded with Flair until winning a Loser Leaves match. Once that was over with, WWF used him to put over Lex Luger and later Shawn Michaels (great feud that introduced Diesel). He left once again in the lead-up to Survivor Series '93, fittingly enough. They hinted at his return a few times, but his back issues were too severe and he was stuck in non-wrestling roles like commentator and Triple H's manager.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Kennel posted:

What are notable Rumble examples of a jobber/lower midcarder eliminating a big star.

Maven & Undertaker, anything else?

R-Truth threw out Mark Henry and Big Show at the same time once, if that counts. He didn't really have anything going on at the time and it was over a year before he got his big heel push.

Test threw out Jericho back when Jericho had a big feud with Michaels going on and Test's whole thing was Stacy Kiebler calling his fans "Testicles."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

MrBling posted:

A few years back Austin said that he could probably do a full year on the standard WWE schedule but then he wouldn't be able to walk afterwards.

Well, yeah. Ryback was on the roster.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Schneider Heim posted:

What were famous/infamous instances wherein people (especially those involved in the industry) got worked into a shoot?

Just to share my own experience, there was an audience member in a local indie show that tried to climb the ring when a beloved babyface turned heel and cut a scathing promo. Fortunately he was stopped.

Russo and Hogan going for that worked shoot goodness, only Russo went too far with his angry insults and Hogan thought it was a genuine double-cross, causing him to sue WCW and walk out for good.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

oldpainless posted:

If you could take any two wrestlers from any year and combine them into the best wrestler who would you choose and why was it 2002 Brock Lesnar and 2014 Brock Lesnar?

Give Earthquake the Ultimate Warrior gimmick.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

LA Park with Hulk Hogan's push.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

RAW IS WAR'S A THORN
IN YOUR EYE

Just reading this, I automatically hear the guitar riff and pyro going off.