Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

CopywrightMMXI posted:

2. Who is the most famous WWE wrestler without a Wrestlemania appearance? It’s gotta be Kamala right?

This is a super fun question to try and nail down. It has to be someone from the 70s/80s who never quite made that leap into the Mania era.

Maybe Tony Atlas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Battle Royal with NFL players at 2.

drat! I did a quick Google for him + WrestleMania and didn't see anything at first glance.

Edit: Coming back to this - Ken Patera, Steve Williams, Brian Pillman, Bobo Brazil? Maybe Bruno Sammartino if you don't count him managing his son at WM 1.

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 8, 2019

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Sharparoni posted:

What is the most powerful move in wrestling logic? Does anything beat the Canadian destroyer off the ladder through a table from last weekend? Maybe a Burning Hammer would still beat that

The heart punch has killed people

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Incessant Excess posted:

Why does New Japan have the hard cam set up to face the entrance ramp where the fewest fans are visible? It seems like you'd ideally want an animated crowd as the background for the ring yet in a lot of their arenas they do it this way.

Japanese crowds aren't necessarily the most animated, so I don't know that it matters. You aren't supposed to stand or hold things above your head as to not block anyone else's view and ruin their experience. If your thing is seeing a crowd of people sitting and clapping rhythmically while others hold tiny towels and teddy bears, I can see your point though.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

CopywrightMMXI posted:

To piggyback off of this, who are the biggest NXT success stories? It seems that most of the bigger names were already big before and didn't need to be in developmental.

Roman and Charlotte? Braun would have been if they didn't constantly cut his legs out from under him.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

fatherofmustard posted:

Roman was barely in NXT. He was more of an FCW guy.

Eh. I'd still count it. It's kind of semantics at that point. He was still a developmental guy and probably their best/latest claim to a home grown success.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Braun completely bypassed the NXT system.

Did he? I thought he at least worked house shows but was just never on TV. How quickly did he go from being hired to being on Raw?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hedgehog Pie posted:

IT'S THE ULTIMATE SWERVE

THAT JARRETT HE'S A LATTER DAY LAURENCE OLIVIER HE IS

I was ten years old and I didn't want to see him on my TV.

I must have been a broken child because I loved Jeff Jarrett. He was such a piece of poo poo with his glowing entrance gear.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hedgehog Pie posted:

It was a long time coming for me, but I can just about understand why some people are big fans of his now. I do appreciate an unapologetic heel.

There are no excuses for his WCW run and he was awful there and in TNA 90% of the time, but something about the cocky 90s Double J is extremely my poo poo.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

rujasu posted:

It's tough to say what would have happened if WCW had kept Austin around. I don't think he would have remained "Stunning" into the nWo era, everyone was changing gimmicks around that time, and it's tough to be "Stunning" when you're going bald.

Didn't he job out to loving Duggan almost immediately when that whole crew came around?

I don't envision a scenario where he would ever have stuck around WCW, but if he did then his ceiling would have probably been similar to Malenko or Eddie. I don't think Hogan or probably Bischoff would have let him get much higher than that, and I don't know that anyone else who was on top around that time would have been pushing for him as a top guy at all.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Honk-a-Meter was loving incredible. I loved hearing him talk about being The Honky Tonky Man's record every week and being The Greatest Intercontinental Champion of "all the times". Plus that was like peak Santino + Beth stuff, which was also pretty great.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

LividLiquid posted:

It was your usual transphobic bullshit about how trans women shouldn't compete with cis women because they're actually men. Worse yet, he was even talking about wrestling, where it isn't actually a competition.

Didn't he also say intergender wrestling is bad because it convinces women they can beat up men in real life fights, thus giving them some inflated sense of power that would lead to them getting beaten up all of the time? Or was that a different moron?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It definitely has its moments of circus activity, like Patterson, Brisco, and one of Godfather's ladies (didn't she turn out to be Victoria or someone like that) all becoming champions in goofy ways backstage.

You also had less silly stuff, too, like Raven as champion and the amazing 3-way match with Kane and Big Show at Mania.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Low Desert Punk posted:

Yoko in WCW would've been pretty dope honestly if he kept losing weight

I can't think of a place where he would have had less of a chance to lose weight than in WCW. I don't think anyone running things would have monitored it or cared.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Jerusalem posted:

Also part of what made Sting go,"gently caress this noise" and spend a year in the rafters was because after all the benefit of the doubt he gave to Luger and going to bat for him when others talked poo poo about him, the moment nWo Sting showed up Luger didn't show the slightest hesitation in believing Sting had betrayed him and the rest of WCW.

Sting/Luger was so loving great.

Sometimes I really miss WCW. I was always a WWF kid growing up and while I watched Nitro every week, too, it was never necessarily my favorite. Anytime the Sting/Luger/nWo stuff comes up I just want to go back and watch it all.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Big Show's WWECW run was also kind of fun. He seemed interested, at least. Also, Show Miz.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TheKingslayer posted:

'With the deepest regrets, and tears that are soaked
I'm sorry to hear that your dad finally croaked
He lived a full life on his own terms
Soon he'll be buried and eaten by worms
But if I could have a son as stupid as you
I'd have wished for cancer so I would die too
So be brave, and be strong, get your life on track
'Cause the old bastard's DEAD and he ain't never comin' back!'

:perfect:

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Speaking of the Tombstone, what other moves have been around a while and are now named after a wrestler or their gimmick, instead of whatever it was originally called? Sharpshooter is one, what was the Crippler Crossface called before Benoit if anything?

I always liked that they called it the Spicolli Driver in ECW after he passed away, but it never really stuck except with nerds I guess.

Rings of Saturn probably falls into that Crippler Crossface category? I don't know what that thing would have been called before he used it, but that's the only thing I know to call it.

Diamond Cutter is called way more than the Ace Cutter, but what was it even called before it was the Ace Cutter? Just a Cutter?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Blast Fantasto posted:

Johnny Ace called it the Ace Crusher/Crusher. It was only after DDP that people started calling it a cutter.

Derp, Ace Crusher not Cutter. Shows how much DDP did to change the perception of that move and who is most associated with it at first thought for many of us.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I know some guys in WCW used to do it, but not with the effect of the coins spilling everywhere. I think there's also a story of one of the Rougeau Brothers knocking out one of the British Bulldogs backstage (or vice versa) sometime in the 80s with the same method.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I agree, and looking back I'm surprised they let him do it. Wasn't that after piledrivers were banned for everyone but Taker, Kane, and occasionally Lawler?

His thighs and rear end were so huge, though, that I doubt anyone could have ever come close to hitting the mat. Probably the safest sitout piledriver anyone could have ever taken.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I thought someone hosed up giving one to The Undertaker and that was the reason? Could've sworn it was one of those spots where someone reversed the Tombstone on him or something like that. Could totally be wrong, though, and probably am.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Didn't Sandman also almost become the RAW GM before it wound up being Regal or someone else? I feel like Sandman had a couple of real close calls of doing things in WWE that would have been interesting in a new and bizarre way, but then he missed out.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

jesus WEP posted:

Nakamura’s WWE theme is better you’re just nostalgic

It's true. I loving loved his NJPW theme, but I went so long without hearing it that when I finally did again I was surprised at how much bigger and more epic his WWE theme seemed in comparison.

Both themes are great, though.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MrBling posted:

I'm bad with money, so if I want to buy like old NWA/WCW wrestling figures or japanese ones is all just ebay or are there any other good sites that sell them?

(I'm in europe for shipping purposes)

Toudoukan is in Japan and is like the holy grail of wresting shops: https://www.toudoukan.com/@en/

I think they'll ship if you order enough stuff and they're adding new stock literally ever day. Lots of cool finds as far as figures go. When I was visiting for Wrestle Kingdom I got an out-of-box Hayabusa and a still-in-box Minoru Suzuki vs Jushin Liger Pancrase X New Japan set. You'll find many things you don't need and everything you want.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

My favorite gimmick match is the dog collar match. It's such a gruesome concept and done so rarely on large stages these days.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Halloween Jack posted:

Ha, gently caress, I was just about to post that. A lot of times you can't tell the difference, since he's landing next to the guy and you can't see how much weight is leaning on the target. Then there are the ones where you can just see him landing elbow-first on a guy. Sick.

It's also super telling watching the guys receiving the elbows. The reactions of the dudes in the latter part of the video are so much more true to life of a dude landing on top of you, especially one where he just elbows DDP in the gut instead of landing on the chest. Never really noticed the change before, but I also checked out on all of his stuff in WCW anyway at that point.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Low Desert Punk posted:

would it really have been that difficult to just use a new finish instead of an elbow drop? Maybe you could bust it out for really, really big matches

same thing with hogan, he continued to completely destroy his body with leg drops when he could've just switched to the axe bomber or something

But nostalgia!

I imagine everyone figured it would ruin the mystique of those guys if they just suddenly started using a new finisher when they got too old, plus it would be a clear signal that they WERE too old and shouldn't even be wrestling anymore. Kudos to the guys who get by on low impact, low effort finishers like an iron claw or sleeper hold.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Lord of Hats posted:

If Corpus Christi is so widely known to be a terrible crowd, why do companies keep going there? Do the tickets sell well?

I feel like this is AEW trying to prove that there are no bad towns/crowds, just towns/crowds who won't cheer for the same bullshit they've been getting for 20 years.

Wasn't Pittsburgh also known as a "notoriously bad crowd" town and they were super pumped for Dynamite the entire show?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lamuella posted:

Has anyone in wrestling ever actually got over because of a gimmick about having an outside job?

(The Undertaker doesn't count)

Big Boss Man is an easy one, I think.

This is a pretty interesting question. I figured I'd be able to think of a handful right away but, really, most of those gimmicks fell flat a lot of the time.

Maybe we can count The Mountie, too? I guess if someone wants to get over in wrestling with an outside job gimmick, they just need to be cops.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Show also had that spectacle where he murdered Ric Flair on ECW TV

I remember this being very fun but don't want to chance it by going back and watching it now

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Julio Cruz posted:

What would people say is the most famous/iconic face turn in wrestling history?

I don't know how it ranks on the lists, but the Mr Perfect turn after Heenan slapped him on Prime Time is loving incredible.

I feel like this is kind of a hard done. Face turns don't seem to have as much longevity as big moments as heel turns do in my head for some reason. Maybe because heel turns tend to happen because of the heel's actions and face turns tend to happen because of someone doing something to them or being saved by someone else.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gavok posted:

This will always be my favorite one. It's just so well done and is one of those special wrestling moments where poo poo is hosed due to real life and they pull out a gem with their backs to the wall.

For those who haven't seen it, the storyline was that Randy Savage and the Ultimate Warrior had a face vs. face title match at SummerSlam, which was ruined by Ric Flair and his "executive consultant" Mr. Perfect (who hadn't wrestled since the previous SummerSlam). Flair beat Savage for the title shortly after... which he then lost to Bret Hart, taking the belt out of the story. Savage and Warrior became a tag team based on being over-the-top lunatics in silly sunglasses and were set to face Flair and Razor Ramon (who was new to the company and was getting a brief main event heel push) at Survivor Series.

A couple weeks before the PPV, Warrior quit WWF. Or was fired for using human growth hormone. Whatever. He was off the show. The only silver lining was that his last segment was using his body to shield Savage from a beatdown, which at least wrote him off in kayfabe.

They had all the Superstars and Wrestling Challenge episodes taped. All they had to work with to pivot the story was Prime Time Wrestling, which at the time was just about Vince McMahon, Bobby Heenan, Mr. Perfect, Jim Duggan and Hillbilly Jim discussing storylines and showing clips from house shows. They dedicated one episode to basically rebuilding their big Survivor Series match by having Savage appear via satellite to say that he wanted Mr. Perfect to be his partner. Heenan, Flair, Razor and even Perfect laughed their asses off at this idea. Perfect and Flair were buds! Perfect was in Flair's corner! Why the hell would Perfect be his opponent?

But as the two hours continued, cracks started to show. Flair's confidence started to get a little out of hand and he went from saying Perfect wouldn't take him on to saying Perfect couldn't take him on. Savage made it apparent that he respected Perfect and wondered why he was stuck on the sidelines. Perfect started to question it himself, all while Flair and Heenan insisted on talking for him. Was it in his best interest to be the "executive consultant" or was it just a way for Flair to keep one of his greatest potential threats under his thumb?

Then when it came time for Perfect to give his answer, Heenan tried to control him and bit off more than he could chew. It finally pushed Perfect into siding with Savage, which made Heenan slap him out of anger and immediately grovel upon realizing what he did. Perfect humiliated Heenan to end the show and that one episode of Prime Time sold a Warriorless PPV.

Then we got Perfect vs. Flair, in what was probably the first truly great match in Raw history.

Just reading this is so loving good so I looked it up to see if anyone had it available on YouTube.

We're all in luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCvi1JuF4uU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The best referee is Mike Chioda because he's consistently good at his job, rarely if ever fucks up (that I can remember, at least), and is a background player not taking any spotlight for himself.

Plus, he was the first ref I saw throw up the devil horns to signal for a 2-count and I always loved that.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I remember the FSN era being really great. Am I misremembering? In my hazy memory, it was when the X Division was getting a lot of attention and we got those crazy tag team matches (including the tag team cage match) between AMW and XXX.

My timeline is most likely off and just mashing together all of the stuff I liked.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MassRafTer posted:

It was a mixed bag. The show was OK and had better wrestling than the Russo era, but the company's direction was incredibly boring in 2004. It only got worse as they brought in Hall, Nash, Savage, DDP and pushing some really bad projects. But there were still some great matches to counter the bad stuff. But maybe half of the PPVs were good?

It was the 4-5 months between going off FSN and then debuting on Spike where the company fired on all cylinders because they looked at those months as inconsequential and let someone other than Jarrett have the belt and actually let the X Division main event.

Ahh that's right. I totally forgot about that period between FSN and Spike.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

NikkolasKing posted:

Who is the shortest wrestler to do the "step over the top rope" entrance?

It seems like something only the exceptionally tall wrestlers do but I'm not sure if that's just their gimmick to emphasize how tall they are or if only really tall wrestlers can actually manage it.

I don't know if they ever did it regularly but I feel like this is a thing Spike Dudley or Crash Holly would've done.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

NikkolasKing posted:

Is The Sandman a truly bad wrestler or just a lovably sloppy wrestler?

Everybody I know of loves the guy but the "smarks" treat it more as a guilty pleasure. I think I've seen folks on here even say he's their favorite bad wrestler.

I imagine he has to be at least passable and not bad to have lasted as long as he did in ECW, WCW, and WWE. I know there are/were terrible wrestlers in all of those promotions but everyone mostly at least knew the basics.

I only saw him briefly as the surfer Sandman but I don't remember him being laughably terrible. I think it's more a case of leaning to his strengths which were his aura and entrance and just doing a few moves mixed with simple brawling.

That being said, I haven't seen a "Sandman in his prime" match in ages so I could be completely wrong.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pope Corky the IX posted:

RAW IS WAR'S A THORN
IN YOUR EYE

That rooftop intro with everyone fighting and fire everywhere was like the coolest poo poo to me as a kid. Even that other one with Austin walking through a dilapidated warehouse with burning barrels or whatever. It all felt so cool and dangerous.

I think the lesson here is, more things need to be grimy and on fire in WWE and then maybe one day I'll be interested again.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The exploding Nitro intro was great.

Then in the dark days we got this abomination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZmMMBjNHh4

It really is insane how miles ahead of everyone WWE has always been with video production. I guess it's finally starting to change now with how AEW utilizes cinematography and some of the UK/Europe indies doing some neat videos, but it was always the one thing that stuck out to me in the WCW vs WWF era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Why is it sometimes Jushin Liger and other times Jyushin Liger? Even NJPW has done it both ways recently.