Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Can somebody help me figure out who was involved in a terrible storyline I vaguely remember?

It was one of the times where they were bringing a wrestler's struggles with alcohol into a storyline, and I think it culminated in them getting a bottle of liquor poured on their head/in their mouth and actual liquor was used (IIRC they didn't know about that part beforehand)

I had it in my head that it was something from the 'Drunk Hawk' angle with LoD and Droz, but I think I've got the wrestlers wrong. I know it isn't when Stone Cold poured beer all over Scott Hall.

Anybody have an idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

MorrisBae posted:

Jerry Lawler did that to Jake Roberts circa-1996

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Lawler with recovering alcoholic Jake Roberts.

Thanks guys!

Now that I have the answer, I'm kind of surprised I didn't think of Jake.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

https://youtu.be/3QubGv9tlVs

I can't think of Sid and not think of this.

I've been laughing about this all day.

Didn't Goldberg repeatedly crush his car?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Edge & Christian posted:

I saw the same video (someone made a surprisingly thorough Too Much playlist) and didn't notice but I watched it again with headphones and you're right, that chant comes in hard around 4m40s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHLcCuLdJCw&t=280s
Not an excuse for a single person involved, but wrestling crowds of the era were eager to chant that term at all sorts of heels, from heels clearly being coded as gay ('Adorable' Adrian Adonis, Goldust, the Beverly Brothers, Lenny & Lodi, Beverly Brothers) to just people who weren't with any consistency and closer to just run of the mill heels (Freebirds, Midnight Express, Rip Rogers, Shawn Michaels, New Age Outlaws/Mr. rear end, Triple H, Kurt Angle).

It's disgusting in every context but what makes Too Much extra bad/noteworthy is that someone (probably Russo, from the sounds of it) saw Too Much getting it (along with general booing and an even stronger "Jerry's Kid" chant at the start of the match) and went DIS, DIS RIGHT HERE IS HOW YOUSE GUYS ARE GONNA GET OVER, SWEAR TA GOD.

The big hugging spot at the end of the linked match makes it seem like they were already tweaking it in that direction, so I may be doing a lovely chicken/hateful egg thing here.

:yikes:

So was this angle sort of like a test run before that Chuck and Billy thing they tried a few years later? That one got as far as a fake called off wedding, right?

Was Kanyon in the WWE when either of these angles were going on? Did he (or any other LGBT wrestlers; he's the only one I can think of) ever comment on those angles?