Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Davros1 posted:

He was.

The Wild Samoans never wrestled at Mania, and Sika had made a brief comeback in the mid-80s.

Sika was in the battle royal at WreatleMania IV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I think Meltzer said he’s still lead booker but Marty Scurll is on the booking team now.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
The most entertaining Low Ki ever was was as LayCool’s baby brother.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Can’t remember the last time a conversation went on this long about the Harts and the pissing in the mouth story hadn’t come up yet.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Were HBK and Diesel actually called "Two Dudes with Attitude" or was that sort of a fan-given nickname like "Port Authority" for Enzo and Case?

During their initial heel run they didn’t have a team name, but they because Two Dudes With Attitudes during their babyface run in 95. It was the official team name, I remember hearing it a lot during their feud with Owen and Yokozuna.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Randaconda posted:

I loved jobbers back in the day, when they looked like some unfortunate fan or some dude they found driving a truck or something

I was watching old episodes of Superstars on the Network and instantly fell in love with these lads.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

bartok posted:

Has Shawn Michaels talked about his post-retirement match at the second KSA show? I never saw the match and stopped supporting WWE altogether because of the event but what I've seen of it on Botchamania and Twitter made it look like a real WMOTY contender.

Shawn, HHH, Undertaker, and Kane are all on the Undertaker documentary series on the Network describing what a disaster it was. There's a funny bit of backstage footage where Shawn and HHH get to the back immediately after the match ended, and Shawn laughingly says "missed it by that much!".

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
WWF War Zone was worth it entirely for the Ahmed Johnson promos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bGErn95VGQ

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Doc M posted:

I also like the cover photo, which looks like Sandman was trying to put up a barbed wire fence but was too drunk to do it properly and this was the end result.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I remember renting WCW Mayhem with a few friends and the very first match we played was a four-way where we all climbed each turnbuckle as soon as the bell rang and immediately got stuck, the only thing we were able to do was just spin in place and taunt until time ran out for a draw.

MOTY

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Who would win in a tag match, Vince and Trump or Inoki and Bolsonaro?

Bolsonaro would contract COVID three times during his ring entrance.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Alaois posted:

Scott Norton

Oddly enough, this was my choice as well, and for some reason, after that, the name that comes to mind is Masa Chono.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Wasn't Stone Cold supposed to be a serial killer? And Waylon Mercy?

Stone Cold was not supposed to be a serial killer, per se, but he designed the persona to evoke the personalities of some serial killers he'd researched.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

bartok posted:

He's also according to Mick Foley's first book the inventor of the Mandible Claw.

I think that story is actually true.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

jesus WEP posted:

I can still make myself mad by thinking about how much better the main event of Mania 14 would have been as the final blowoff to Bret vs Austin

Agreed, though I wonder, what would have been the plan for Shawn Michaels have been if Bret had stayed? Best I can figure is Owen.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Red posted:

I liked Eric S. a lot except for his 38-page essay on why it was wrong for John Cena to dress like a gangster at WrestleMania.

I really enjoyed his stuff, but I don't remember this. But from my memory of Eric S, I'm guessing the reason is "Chicago".

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lamuella posted:

Where do people rank the Mankind / Undertaker "Boiler Room Brawl" compared to modern cinematic matches? Or can it actually be compared?

I could easily see it as a precursor to the cinematic match, but I think the whole actual boiler room segment was recorded in one take. It was essentially just a hardcore match that was mostly pre-taped.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Red posted:

When Jerry Lawler first joined the WWF, was he planned to wrestle full time, and it just worked out that he ended up announcing, or was the part-time wrestling/full-time announcing thing always the plan?

Pretty sure his deal was always full-time announcing and part time wrestling. He was still working/running Memphis and I don't think he wanted to give that up.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I never bought the NAO as a credible thread to the LOD, then they won the titles, and they chucked Cactus Jack and Chainsaw Charlie off the stage in a dumpster, and I thought they were the coolest guys ever.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Punch McLightning posted:

Hey, remember how there were/are conspiracy theories because someone edited Benoit’s wiki page as a “joke” to say it was a murder-suicide earlier than anyone would have known, and they somehow did so with a Stamford, CT IP?

Wasn't the guy who did that a goon? Or am I off base? For some reason, it sticks in my head that the guy was a goon.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I love the 2010 Rumble personally, it's got so many different things going for it: Straight Edge Savior CM Punk dominating the first fifteen minutes or so and cutting promos between eliminations, a really fun Beth Phoenix/Khali spot, a really great run from HBK trying to get his shot at the Undertaker, and a fun surprise return/winner. Well worth the time to check it out if you haven't seen it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

davidbix posted:

MUCH better in the ring than he gets credit for. Best place to start is probably his Portland work that's on YouTube (lots of long 2/3 fall main events) and the stuff from the 1983 Greg Valentine feud that's on WWE Network (Hidden Gems house show match, Starrcade '83 dog collar match, and whatever matches/angles are on the weekly Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling shows).

That said, his match with Bret at WrestleMania is pretty much the last worthwhile match he ever had, and his work by the time he got to WCW was abysmal.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Mick Foley has several best sellers.

(Thumbs up, cheap pop.)

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Didn't Vince once march out to the ring and bring whoever was wrestling to the back during a SmackDown taping because the match was so bad?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Triple H almost always releases the guys arms on the Pedigree now, so that the guy taking the move can break his fall with his hands. I would think it's much safer now that it would've been in the 90s.

E: F, b.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, if Vince was told by his dad to take care of somebody apparently he does almost religiously.

If I remember correctly, Lou Albano was one of those people but he was such a pain in the rear end that Vince cut him off anyway.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I saw Bix say this earlier on Twitter, but Christian's WWECW run is actually some really, really strong work. He had a match with Zack Ryder for the ECW title which I absolutely loved.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Even funnier than this were the dainty little punches he threw at the bit when he was setting up for the RKO on his first match back.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

oldpainless posted:

Just do the onlyfans Lance

See why they called him "Lance" to begin with.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

a cyborg mug posted:

Dustin Rhodes does his own for sure and I believe also did it as Goldust too. Might depend on the wrestler/complexity of the paint but I feel like it might be a point of pride/such an integral part of their character that many would learn to do it themselves? I’m just thinking aloud here and can’t give any definite proof of anything

For the most part, I think the wrestlers do it on their own. I've seen photos of Warrior, Sting, and Jeff Hardy doing their own.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

1glitch0 posted:

My personal favorite is his match with Val Venis at Summerslamn 98. It's not the greatest match ever but I've always thought of it as a perfect match to show someone who has never heard of pro wrestling to explain to them what pro wrestling is.

I've always had a soft spot for this match-it was two capable, up and coming workers who were given twenty minutes on a PPV and worked their asses off. It wasn't a great match, but they both worked so hard that it was really, really good. It's the sort of thing that never happens in WWE today.

Granted, both D'Lo and Val spent the next few years spinning their wheels after this and neither of them did much of note after this. Which is a shame, in D'Lo's case. Val Venis sucks.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

El Generico posted:

I never felt like he was underutilized in his role as heel ally to whatever heel needed an ally at the time, but I never got sick of him either.

I remember like 10 years ago, someone who was feuding with John Cena brought out Bull Buchanan, who cut a stunningly entertaining promo about how Cena ruined his life. I doubt he'd have been a superstar, but they probably could've done more with him.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
How hands-on is WWE in the production of the foreign language feeds of their shows? Knowing how big Vince is on screaming in the ears of his announcers, is there anything in place to do the same to the other languages? Or, is there more emphasis on having it come across the way WWE wants it to on, say, the Hindi broadcast (being that India is a huge market for them) than the Russian one?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
What are some of the better Dark Side of the Ring episodes? I've seen the Benoit episodes and the Von Erich episoes, which were both excellent (although the Von Erich one really glossed over what a piece of poo poo Fritz was), and I'd like to check out some more.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Kosmo Gallion posted:

The only time a HHH centric Raw was good was when he and Batista teased breaking up and fighting, only for it to be revealed as a ruse to trick Benoit or Edge or something. Audience went mental at the idea of Batista kicking Hunter's rear end. I think this contributed to WWE going all in on Batista.

When Batista finally turned on Triple H, it was one of the coolest moments ever on Raw, marred slightly by the backstage segment that showed HHH and Ric Flair talking about what an idiot Batista was while he listened from around a corner. It was a very cheesy, unneeded bit.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What is the best Shawn Michaels match?

My vote is against Mankind at Mind Games.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

D.N. Nation posted:

There was a terrific sequence in the Shawn Michaels/Kurt Angle match at Mania 21:

- Shawn goes for a moonsault off the top rope
- Angle jumps up to meet him on the turnbuckle, gives him an Angle Slam
- Kickout at 2.5
- Angle loses his poo poo, grabs HBK and tells him to stay down
- Sweet Chin Music from outta nowhere
- Kickout at 2.99999 (miiiight have been past 3, still awesome)
- Shawn thinks he's won, slowly staggers to his feet, only for
- Angle to pop up ("like a scary movie," Lawler says) and put on the ankle lock
- HBK writhes around in pain forEVER, then taps

Isn't this the match where Angle pulls the straps down, wrestles for a few minutes, gets angry, pulls the straps back up, and then pulls them right back down?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

From Bob Holly's book:

(Sure, Bob. Put yourself over too.)

I mean, I sure as hell wouldn't gently caress with Bob Holly, but he did say he was the least frightening guy in that group.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sandman McMahon posted:

He traded the ring for a pair of cowboy boots and half a case of Pilsner. Wait, that might have been Bruce. I forget.

Traded the ring for Bruce? Man, he got screwed in that deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Kinda funny since years later CM Punk was bemoaning The Rock coming in for those return matches.

Also was Shawn Michaels the only person Rock didn't want to do business with? On account of Shawn being a gigantic rear end in a top hat to either Rock's mom or dad or someone?

I believe it was the Rock's grandmother, Lia Maivia. She ran the Hawaii promotion after Peter Maivia died, and apparently, Shawn was an rear end in a top hat to her at one point. Plus, if I remember correctly, he and Triple H pretty vocally buried Rock backstage during his Rocky Maivia days.