Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Bobby Eaton and Dennis Condrey? They were both terrific. Arn and Tully too. Bobby Eaton and Steve Regal.

Maybe Doug Furnas and Phil Lafon? I think Road Warrios were kind of both not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Bad Wolf posted:

All over. It makes sense, have a guy in the first match play a different masked character in the fourth match and put him in the main event Battle Royal. You got three wrestlers for the price of one !
It made everybodies rosters look bigger.

You could probably rephrase this as "what tag teams never head a break-out star." Road Warriors, Bushwackers, Demolition*. Though there are a few where both members of a team went on to have similar careers, i.e. solid midcarters, like Strike Force or Powers of Pain.

*The original two, you could say Crush had a more noteworthy career after Demolition.

I thought about Strike Force but Rick Martel was an AWA champion back when that meant something. After he got stuck in the tag scene and midcard in WWF, but that was possibly more to do with Vince not seeing a a main eventer than him not having the potential.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Smoking Crow posted:

ONE FALL! is so bad

it's not as bad as when the wrestlers do a grappling exchange and someone yells WRESTLING! when it's finished

One fall is great. It encourages the crowd to make noise, it's not intrusive like counting ahead of the ref, it's not during the match. It's the perfect 'THE MATCH IS GOING TO START AND YOU ARE PART OF IT' notification to fans.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Kenny actually said during an early interview that he actively doesn't want to be the company ace and is happy to step back and just participate in good matches with good wrestlers.

I find that really weird to be honest. If I were AEW (or even anyone with a vested interested in their success) and debuting, I'd be pushing the biggest star Pre AEW at the start of the show as the biggest star in the company. He can lose later but now he should be absolutely murdering people so there's no doubt that he's a big deal. Like Moxley and he should be the top stars, and everything should be able getting them as hot as possible so whoever paid a ticket to see AEW on the strength of the names involved gets to see them be what they paid to see. Then a year later or whenever they can be unseated and someone else can come up maybe. I dunno.

Unless he doesn't want the pressure or something.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

What wrestlers have amusing/consistent “weakness feuds”? I will name a few of what I’m talking about :

1) Randy Savage vs Royal Rumble match rules

2) Pentagon Jr vs Sight Gags (masks, dupes, the Gobbler)

3) Randy Orton vs tables

Kane and Inferno matches?

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

BodyMassageMachine posted:

So of all the WWE guys who are constantly “on the verge of leaving” like Rusev, Sasha, The Revival, etc., who has the highest ceiling if they bounce to, say, AEW or NJPW?

I feel like I always see people here and otherwise saying “oh man, just wait until the Revival show up in AEW, they’ll be AMAZING!” Which might be true, but after an initial push of “oh poo poo, these dudes are here!,” do they have a ceiling of “another tag team” or are they total diamonds in the rough that will explode in popularity/talent (similar to Juice Robinson going from a nobody CJ Parker to his moderate upper-midcard success in NJPW now)?

Or, if Sasha goes to AEW, do you see her as a potential new ace for the Women’s Division, or nah?

I think Sasha could be an ace for AEW certainly. She's a terrific wrestler and has buckets of charisma.

I think the Revival will be a great heel team for someone to shine against. They'll never be massive, but they'll be popular enough to make their move worth it in the long term.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

bartok posted:

I thought Big Show's ECW title defense against Ric Flair was really fun.

Here's mine: Despite not being a Hulkamaniac growing up I was a huge fan of his friend/alleged lover Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake. I think it helped that my only exposure to the guy until Wrestlemania IX was his matches on old Coliseum Home Videos and his talk show segment on WWF Challenge and Superstars. I stopped caring about Brutus when he turned heel in WCW and then eventually became face again as the Booty Man.

I loved Brother Bruti. I was so annoyed when Ron Bass cut his face up so he couldn't challenge Honky for the IC belt. I was sure he was the man to do it. I liked his high knee and the sleeper in WWF.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Just chiming in: I loved that Valentine/Garvin feud at the time, it felt like they beat the poo poo out of each other.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
- Stealing Gangrel's watch from his bag, and putting it back a few months later when they returned to the same arena

I can see this being absolutely annoying as gently caress but on the other hand , putting it back in the same arena is really funny as a concept.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Zombie Lemur posted:

I was watching some of Doink's early run and I got to wondering how many gimmicks there have been where the person comes off like a total goof but is a killer in the ring.

Kurt Angle at times and later day Mick Foley sort of fit the bill, but their goofiness was more earnest rather than being a way of playing mind games.

I feel like there has to be more.

Eugene I guess?

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
It's a multi part question which makes it trickier:

Presumably duration has a bearing but also:

these promos

these matches

this everything

I'm going to be honest, for me, Hogan had better promos when I was a kid. I loved listening to him. Austin was a great talker but for what Hogan was doing, he was perfect.

For the matches, what of Triple H's first good run? Benoit, Jericho, Austin, Michinoku, The Rock, Cactus Jack, Angle? I dunno anyone else ever had that combination of ability, calibre of opponent and the booking behind them to make them look as strong.- Obviously he turned to poo poo after the injury.

This everything: I'm going to go with drawing here- Hogan launched the company not just nationally but worldwide. Austin rebirthed the company too. I dunno. I believe Meltzer said that Austin sold more merch and drew more money in his time on top than Hogan did in all of his.

Also I don't know about Bruno very well, the only time I really saw him, he was attacking Randy Savage for hitting Ricky Steamboat's throat with a ring bell.

Von Linus fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 15, 2023

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Macho was Space Ghosts Grandfather in Space Ghost Coast to Coast

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Davros1 posted:

NWA's Starrcade '89: Future Shock had two: a four man one (Flair, Sting, Muta, and Luger), and a four Tag Team one (Road Warriors, Samoan SWAT Team, The Steiners, and Doom)

I didn't see that but in my head at the time it was going to be the greatest thing in history. I meant all of those guys? And Muta was too cool to boo.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Venomous posted:

apparently Triple H was that from 2000 until the quad tear

I remember thinking he was shite in 98 (although I think he was hamstrung by crash tv, the talent around him and also that injury he got) but him with actual good workers like Foley etc, he was really REALLY good. I dunno, maybe he was able to rise to their level.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Wrestlers are a bunch of chinlock marks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
It does make you wonder about all the difficult to work with reputations people got in WWE, and how it was basically just Weinsteining.