Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Ultra Carp

sweet thursday posted:

Yeah but this ain't it OP lmao

:supaburn::iceburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
2005 owned

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
remember the forum Hot Topic: Michael Moore

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

*in Jim Gaffigan’s voice when he says Hot Pockeeets for his Hot Pockets routine* Hot Topiiic

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

N. Senada posted:

If you know a better place to pick up scene girls, I’d like to hear it OP

please tell me a better place

I’m confused, if you are into teenage scene girls I would assume you are already the vocalist for a successful pop punk band?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea OP, you can get some sweet Funko Pops there! Which is basically beanie babies for millennials.

Pretty sure beanie babies were beanie babies for millennials tbh.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
All of the 2005 scene girls are single moms now, just get on tinder

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Yea it exists and you're invited to Chridtiana Mall in Delaware (the State) to hang out to browse the Hot Topic and smoke cigarettes outside then we can go watch a movie Angry Birds 2

Sounds good, but can we go see the Dora movie instead. Checking for show times

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Schlong Connery posted:

Sounds good, but can we go see the Dora movie instead. Checking for show times

Yea

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

Literally A Person posted:

....the pot is thusly sweetened.

Give me odds on being murdered by some lunatic goon in Delaware.

I don't think anyone's ever been murdered in DE. Everyone just dies of old age or off's themselves either purposefully or accidentally

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Schlong Connery posted:

I don't think anyone's ever been murdered in DE. Everyone just dies of old age or off's themselves either purposefully or accidentally

Actually people get murdered in Wilmington nonstop

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Actually people get murdered in Wilmington nonstop

Nothing in the circle bulge counts as Delaware it’s just philly

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Nothing in the circle bulge counts as Delaware it’s just philly

But that only makes the murder more???

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Is murder in Delaware a Hot Topic?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Is murder in Delaware a Hot Topic?

Asking for directions in Wilmington was a learning experience.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah they still exist, they're basically the only B&M that sells merch for a lot of nerd poo poo so I pop in there every now and then

(my fiancee got this dope Evangelion shirt there a little while back)

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah they still exist, they're basically the only B&M that sells merch for a lot of nerd poo poo so I pop in there every now and then

(my fiancee got this dope Evangelion shirt there a little while back)

So wait, is nerd crap counter-culture now? I thought even the good looking and non-socially maladjusted where nerding it up these days.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

So wait, is nerd crap counter-culture now? I thought even the good looking and non-socially maladjusted where nerding it up these days.

non-commital handwavey motion? nerd crap with a huge marketing budget (the MCU, Gears of War, DBZ, that kind of thing) is absolutely not counter-culture but stuff that's more on the fringes of it fits OK with their vibe

e: like, to keep going with anime as examples, I can pop into like four separate stores at the mall for a DBZ or One Punch Man shirt (I actually have one of the latter I grabbed at Gamestop of all loving places), but I'm pretty sure HT is the only B&M carrying Junji Ito merch or stuff like that Eva shirt

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 8, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

No it's hip

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Is it hip to be square?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Is it hip to be square?

Yea

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Oh juice. Finally my oddly shaped head is paying off in spades!!!!

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Edgar posted:

Are other hot topics super cramp and half the people inside are employees?

Yeah, they're all like this. Every location is smaller than a Cinnabon stand and has like 3 employees just milling around near the Funko Pops for whatever bizarre reason.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Yeah, they're all like this. Every location is smaller than a Cinnabon stand and has like 3 employees just milling around near the Funko Pops for whatever bizarre reason.

The funk-poops is what give them their radical powers.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The disaffected tough guy house style of 2000s GBS posting only instead of talking about making GBS threads your pants or how you blackmailed your uncle because you found out he was gay it's about being vaguely unsettled by the existence of a thing that targets young people even after you yourself are no longer young.

Hot Topic was never counterculture simply by wont of being a national chain store, you were just a dumb teenage who thought people laughed at you because you were different but you laughed at them because they were all the same just like millions of other teens. It was founded by a retail executive who coldly calculated the whole thing based off of how popular MTV was.

quote:

Hot Topic was founded by Orv Madden in 1989, after the executive became aware of the marketing opportunities which had been created by MTV and other popular forms of alternative youth culture. Previous to starting Hot Topic, Madden had spent the entirety of his working life in the retail industry. A native of Alton, Iowa, Madden earned his MBA from the prestigious University of Chicago and eventually earned a position as vice-president of the Federated Department Stores' Children's Place and Accessory Place divisions, a title he held for six years. While Madden's retail experience well prepared him to strike out on his own, it was his personal drive and lifelong devotion to contemporary music that allowed him to see the market niche Hot Topic would eventually fill.

During the 1980s, when MTV first made its presence felt in modern music and culture, Madden realized that there was a potentially huge consumer market for music-influenced apparel and accessories which, while being served by regional, independent stores and venues, was largely overlooked by national chains and outlets. In a 1997 interview, Madden said that in starting Hot Topic he 'saw an underserved market--music-related t-shirts and apparel--that traditional mall-based retailers were ignoring, and I decided to pursue it.'

Their corporate run history page conveniently doesn't mention that but you can clearly see that even from day one it was selling merch of network TV sketch shows, Disney movies, and South Park. If Funko Pops existed back then they would have been selling them too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeUiiT84Ubg

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Sleeveless posted:

Hot Topic was never counterculture simply by wont of being a national chain store, you were just a dumb teenage who thought people laughed at you because you were different but you laughed at them because they were all the same just like millions of other teens. It was founded by a retail executive who coldly calculated the whole thing based off of how popular MTV was.

Um, bro. I never shopped at the Hot Topic. But it seems like you must have spent a lot of time there.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Orv Madden is responsible for all the mom and pop alternative clothing stores going out of business in the early 90s

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

A huge floating silver sphere appears over the football stadium, the crowd begins to panic, scream and stampede as the vast shadow of the sphere slowly travels over them. As the immense shining ball hovers above the field a cacophonous pronouncement is made.

"I AM ORB MADDEN. I HAVE KILLED JOHN MADDEN AND ABSORBED HIM. WE ARE ORB MADDEN. COME TO THE MALL AND SHOP AT MY NEW STORE HOT TOPIC. THIS HAS BEEN ORB MADDEN."

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

A huge floating silver sphere appears over the football stadium, the crowd begins to panic, scream and stampede as the vast shadow of the sphere slowly travels over them. As the immense shining ball hovers above the field a cacophonous pronouncement is made.

"I AM ORB MADDEN. I HAVE KILLED JOHN MADDEN AND ABSORBED HIM. WE ARE ORB MADDEN. COME TO THE MALL AND SHOP AT MY NEW STORE HOT TOPIC. THIS HAS BEEN ORB MADDEN."

The new arena event for the Something Awful Hunger Games is looking good.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
When I was at the mall, I saw a store like hot topic but it was called boxlunch. Same stuff but it had more light inside and more "remember the 90's" theme.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
My gang hangs out in the nature store

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
When will Funko Pops go away??? Can someone give me like an approximate year so I have something to look forward to??

I just don't understand them at all I don't understand how that's a thing people buy that it's a thing so many stores sell I look at them like a gorilla looks at a pressure cooker.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I do support the Christiana Mall though their California Pizza Kitchen is on point and the movie theater has some awesome seating and there's a Shake Shack and a Container Store in the outer ring shopping centers these days.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

When will Funko Pops go away??? Can someone give me like an approximate year so I have something to look forward to??

I just don't understand them at all I don't understand how that's a thing people buy that it's a thing so many stores sell I look at them like a gorilla looks at a pressure cooker.

They won't go away until the great Funko-War of 2379. It'll be a bloody day but humanity, in the end, will push back the tide of funkles and reclaim the planet for ourselves once again.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I do support the Christiana Mall though their California Pizza Kitchen is on point and the movie theater has some awesome seating and there's a Shake Shack and a Container Store in the outer ring shopping centers these days.

Thank you for coming to this thread to endorse Christiana Mall and give further evidence for goons that it is a cool place to hang out and visit Hot Topic

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niiNPH64Xv4

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I miss malls. There, I said it

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

EorayMel posted:

The new arena event for the Something Awful Hunger Games is looking good.

OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Shaq fu part two.