Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
when to harvest?
This poll is closed.
Too late, wait a year 5 10.42%
Right now 8 16.67%
wait like a day or something 6 12.50%
goku 29 60.42%
Total: 40 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
they smell bad. nothing that smells that bad should be eaten imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

rear end contraire mon frare

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Wtf you never eat smelly cheese!?!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
that smells funky not bad

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm literally shaking with rage that you won't eat a perfectly done steak just smothered in sauteed onions and mushrooms in a red wine reduction without even using your hands, in total silence and complete darkness and completely nude

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
Fun fact, all mushrooms are edible. Some are just edible once.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Big Beef City posted:

I'm literally shaking with rage that you won't eat a perfectly done steak just smothered in sauteed onions and mushrooms in a red wine reduction without even using your hands, in total silence and complete darkness and completely nude

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

what kind of mushrooms are in the OP + where are they

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Op got em all but if you crawl into his roof hole you may be able to snatch a few.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Colonel Cancer posted:

Op got em all but if you crawl into his roof hole you may be able to snatch a few.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

My parents say they found me in a fertile mound of earth and fungus, a happy dirty newborn baby

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
If you come upon a bunch of mushrooms growing a ring you are in luck! Elves have danced there and if you piss in the ring you will die from too much piss. If you dance with them they will take you to their place and have their way with you, which sounds cool until you realize elves are loving boring as poo poo and just wanna dance their stupid old dance at all times and only rarely gently caress.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
TRAGEDY

SOME ABSOLUTE FUCKER POACHED ME

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

What the gently caress? Lawyer up my friend.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
this batch was close to the edge of the property. Luckily I have larger groups deeper in where the old growth has turned to snags

mushroom law is the dark underbelly of tree law, no bar association to worry about here

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

When morel season hits here in spring it's amazing the lengths people will go to protect their spots.
Saying they found them but never where, making sure that any photos they post have no landmarks in them, can't see the horizon, etc. It's funny as hell.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

SniperWoreConverse posted:

this batch was close to the edge of the property. Luckily I have larger groups deeper in where the old growth has turned to snags

mushroom law is the dark underbelly of tree law, no bar association to worry about here

You're supposed to grow the poisonous ones near the edge of the property

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
these are naturally grown mushrooms I didn't "plant" them there.

I have hawthorns and poison ivy slowly growing across the perimeter tho

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

these are naturally grown mushrooms I didn't "plant" them there.

I have hawthorns and poison ivy slowly growing across the perimeter tho

lol if you planted poisonous ones there next season do you think they'd come back and blindly harvest them?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
In my experience you can't really plant mushrooms. That soil zone is colonized with that kind and I'd have to dig it all out and replace it with whatever other kind

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

In my experience you can't really plant mushrooms. That soil zone is colonized with that kind and I'd have to dig it all out and replace it with whatever other kind

You can get plugs that you drill into stumps or logs and it plants colonies.
They have them for tons of culinary varieties, especially 'shelf' style shrooms like Chicken of the woods.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah and I've grown some oysters and stuff like that. If I wanted to plant some other kind of mushroom there I would have to get something that can either coexist or outcompete the existing ones, or strip out the existing colony

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Jose posted:

if they don't make you trip then i don't see the point of mushrooms

Imagine having the tastebuds of a child as an adult. :rolleyes:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Resting Lich Face posted:

Imagine having the tastebuds of a child as an adult. :rolleyes:

I have a sensory disorder and reflexively puke if I try to eat them. They always smell good cooking, though.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

500 good dogs posted:

I have a sensory disorder and reflexively puke if I try to eat them. They always smell good cooking, though.

You're missing out; they taste even better than they smell. But hey I understand the sensory thing: I have a visceral reaction to onion that hasn't been minced to roughly submolecular sizes. Important flavor in a lot of dishes but if there's any of the texture or un-cooked taste left I just can't do it.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Resting Lich Face posted:

You're missing out; they taste even better than they smell. But hey I understand the sensory thing: I have a visceral reaction to onion that hasn't been minced to roughly submolecular sizes. Important flavor in a lot of dishes but if there's any of the texture or un-cooked taste left I just can't do it.

:hai:

Are there any oniony things you can eat? Like not even onion rings? They're delicious.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I’ll be completely honest OP, I have never met a...mushroom forager? Whatever the name is regardless never met one that wasn’t a loving weirdo

God speed don’t pick the poison ones *tips scally cap*

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

500 good dogs posted:

:hai:

Are there any oniony things you can eat? Like not even onion rings? They're delicious.

Onion rings are a no-go. The smell and flavor on their own is offputting but I don't know if that's a consequence of the texture thing or if I dislike all things about onions. Still, sometimes they're an important ingredient (like in curries or bolognese) so I will use them sparingly and mince the everloving gently caress out of them so they well and truly disappear into the food and it makes the food better (just like I'm not gonna want to taste fish sauce on its own but you need it for thai cooking).

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Wait there's people who can't eat onions? Like, not for religious reasons? Wtf

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
*bites into peeled white onion like it's an apple*

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Onions are one of the best foods. Extremely cheap and easy to grow. Tastes great, you can get sweet ones, spicy ones whatever

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

That's why I always keep an onion on my belt.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

JK Fresco posted:

Wait there's people who can't eat onions? Like, not for religious reasons? Wtf

Some brahmin hindus don't eat onions or garlic

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8

OP is a mindless zombie now :spooky: :zombie: :spooky:

Skyrim Job
Sep 1, 2019

by Smythe
You know who else liked mushrooms? Bushwick Bill, may he RIP

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

TRAGEDY

SOME ABSOLUTE FUCKER POACHED ME

Does this fall under tree law?

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

hakimashou posted:

Some brahmin hindus don't eat onions or garlic

I said not for religious reasons

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Guys I'm ALLERGIC to mushrooms they will kill me! My kids Tayviinne and Brandwyn inherited this also

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Do it ironically posted:

I’ll be completely honest OP, I have never met a...mushroom forager? Whatever the name is regardless never met one that wasn’t a loving weirdo

God speed don’t pick the poison ones *tips scally cap*

If you spend enough time among mushrooms eventually all the spores you're inhaling take root in your brain turning you into a mindless slave. According to some estimates almost 20% of all people may be mushrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse

Big Beef City posted:

You can get plugs that you drill into stumps or logs and it plants colonies.
They have them for tons of culinary varieties, especially 'shelf' style shrooms like Chicken of the woods.

I've had Chicken O' The Woods that was growing on a big willow tree. It tastes delicious, texture of chicken. not too mushroomy flavor