Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Real datamine talk:

https://twitter.com/Lean_Buscaglia_/status/1419943705688125441?s=20
https://twitter.com/Lean_Buscaglia_/status/1419945021239959553?s=20
there are entries in the data files for voice lines vs "COS", "SLY", "JKO", and "BKN", probably meaning Happy Chaos, Slayer, Jack-O, and Baiken

Hey, one of those could be Jam KuradOberi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Real datamine talk:

there are entries in the data files for voice lines vs "COS", "SLY", "JKO", and "BKN", probably meaning Happy Chaos, Slayer, Jack-O, and Baiken

I'd be down for this. I've always wanted to learn to play baiken and Jack-O is super cool thematically. If they gave her something to do other than minions I'm probably in

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Real datamine talk:

this could just be futureproofing against characters that arent necessarily in s1 tbh, but yeah, could be neat!

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

How the hell do you get close to Faust when he's on the other side of the screen spamming item tosses and the scalpel moves that either outright throw you to the other side of the screen or have so much pushback on block that they might as well? (As a reminder, Nago does not have air dashes and since you can't block coming out of Fukyo that just puts you right underneath the items.)

Crab if you're PC and ever want to do some Faust sets, let me know. I haven't fought enough Nagos and wouldn't mind the chance to see what does and doesn't work myself. I linked my steam profile earlier in the thread and am in the goon discord under the same name.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Slayer with a dash macro hell yeah. If they don't completely gut him and let him keep BDC, there's no way that doesn't let something stupid be possible. I'm also mad psyched at the idea of using drift and quick RCs with him. Drift RCing into and out of Dandy Step sounds incredibly fun.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Blue Labrador posted:

Slayer with a dash macro hell yeah. If they don't completely gut him and let him keep BDC, there's no way that doesn't let something stupid be possible. I'm also mad psyched at the idea of using drift and quick RCs with him. Drift RCing into and out of Dandy Step sounds incredibly fun.

Bdc with a button is gonna own

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I just want to point out that Polygon's written a single article about Strive beyond the glorified press released 'DLC got announced' stuff, and it was about the writer not liking the no-gameplay story mode compared to the Netherrealm approach

So that's a waste of six digits right there, buddy.

EDIT: Also, that datamine is disappointing if true, specifically truer than the last one. That Man was a promisingly unusual character to see, but now... nope, two characters from older games.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 28, 2021

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
Holy poo poo I made it to floor 9 and it wasnt beating up new Goldicks. As a fighting game noob I havent felt this accomplished since when I first started and I ended a match with a combo. I'm sure I'll probably go 0-3 and get kicked out but I'm going to savior this moment!

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Strive and Xrd spent their entire runtime removing all of the cool parts about That Man and then Strive gave all those cool parts to Happy Chaos so the data mine character changes are a huge improvement.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

It would be weird if Chaos didn't show up so I'd rather see him sooner than later, I want to see what they come up for him cause goldlewis is crazy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

RevolverDivider posted:

Strive and Xrd spent their entire runtime removing all of the cool parts about That Man and then Strive gave all those cool parts to Happy Chaos so the data mine character changes are a huge improvement.

See that's weird to hear, because Happy Chaos is the polar opposite of 'interesting' to me, there's just no appeal to his skillset or personality.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't think Goldlewis is going to be for me, but boy from the few matches I had against a floor 7 one, he hits hard. Not sure what his pressure is going to look like long term, but he covers a huge area with those normals and they have pretty significant block stun and knockback. That said, I think Ky probably has the advantage against him so long as you never ever throw a stun edge that isn't on knockdown.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cleretic posted:

See that's weird to hear, because Happy Chaos is the polar opposite of 'interesting' to me, there's just no appeal to his skillset or personality.

Gun characters are cool

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

looks pretty legit to me

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Cleretic posted:

Gun characters are cool and That Man has been so thoroughly scrubbed of any antagonistic or villainous qualities that it’s nice to get an actual antagonist who is a piece of poo poo as playable

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Just add Belial to Guilty Gear

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

No, put the actually interesting GBVS characters in Strive.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I'd just like to point out that nothing about the new data leak invalidates the old one, and in fact it reinforces the old one with both pointing to Jack-O as a DLC character.

I'm mildly interested in what playable Asuka will even look like. Has he ever been shown to fight anywhere in the series? I thought he just stood around being ominous and/or taunting.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

looks pretty legit to me

wheres your blue checkmark bebo

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Obama with Robot Arm Gun when?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ve been getting into Ram lately, but I have no idea how to do anything more complex other than cS-5H, mix highs and lows, and throw my swords when the opponent is in the corner.

Somehow I have not yet been kicked out of 7. :v:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

I’ve been getting into Ram lately, but I have no idea how to do anything more complex other than cS-5H, mix highs and lows, and throw my swords when the opponent is in the corner.

Up close you can cancel a fast normal like 5k into 623p and then that gets you to the rekka or a wall break with swords depending on position

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

porfiria posted:

Obama with Robot Arm Gun when?

Seriously, if what we need is a gun character, he's right there and has way more personality and motivation than Happy Chaos.

Plus then it brings Guilty Gear's Fighting Politician count to five, which I think would mean that it has the majority of playable Fighting Politicians in fighting games as a whole.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
So in what situation would you actually use 87412H as goldlewis? It's a low combo starter, but it's slow as balls and its range is so short that you'll just whiff if you cancel into it off of any blockstring longer than 1 hit even in the corner. When would you use this over 5k/2k?
I also don't really get what 69874H does.

My poor hitbox fingers need a ton more practice with everything though. I've just been autopilot ending my strings with 41236H or 63214H most of the time just because it's easy, but both of those pretty useless for that except for making yourself safe since they're mids and they push you back too far to keep your turn.

Also: is it possible to do the up-input Typhoons without needing to buffer during another move? I recall the Goldlewis intro video showing a lot of that but I can't manage it except for the two that end in up. Am I just inputting too slowly?

chumbler posted:

I don't think Goldlewis is going to be for me, but boy from the few matches I had against a floor 7 one, he hits hard. Not sure what his pressure is going to look like long term, but he covers a huge area with those normals and they have pretty significant block stun and knockback. That said, I think Ky probably has the advantage against him so long as you never ever throw a stun edge that isn't on knockdown.

His coffin specials all have huge guardcrush blockstun but as far as i can tell none of his normals are plus except c.S
And most of the specials have so much pushback that he can't really abuse the guardcrush for mixups in the same way Potemkin can.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 28, 2021

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Seriously, if what we need is a gun character,

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Cleretic posted:

Seriously, if what we need is a gun character, he's right there and has way more personality and motivation than Happy Chaos.

I get not liking Happy Chaos but it’s insane to say he has no personality. gently caress Crawl is one of the best songs in the game for displaying personality and he’s not even playable yet

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Pollyanna posted:

celestial ram is literally that plus c.S > 2H > dauro when people get too close, and using mortobato at appropriate times as a reversal super.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Cleretic posted:

My immediate vibe on Goldlewis as an Axl player: He's probably the scariest matchup for Axl that's still generally in Axl's favor, because while it's fairly easy to keep him under control, he gets terrifying if he slips your grasp and gets to do some stuff.

Skyfish is also one of the few full-screen options capable of beating Rensengeki, thanks to having basically instantaneous travel. An Axl spamming Rensen will beat a Gold spamming Skyfish because of Skyfish's longer 'wind-down' animation, but Gold can whip out a Skyfish and use that to run in really well.

I main May and play Chipp on the side. I think Goldlewis is cool as gently caress. Figured he'd be my next side character, but he doesn't click with me. Oh well.

Where the hell is my shill money, ArcSys?

J2DK fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 28, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Also: is it possible to do the up-input Typhoons without needing to buffer during another move? I recall the Goldlewis intro video showing a lot of that but I can't manage it except for the two that end in up. Am I just inputting too slowly?
i assumed after watching the video that he would have hell of prejump frames to make those possible, but according to dustloop he has the normal 5. (though it's been less than one day so that could easily be wrong.) that would mean that doing the motions with up in the middle would be very tight, and doing the motions that start with up have to be done with... a hitbox or similar? that motion takes a bare minimum of 3 frames (assuming you only need the cardinals) which means you have 2 frames of leniency. which is almost physically impossible to do with an actual stick.

so yeah i think you pretty much have to be in the middle of something else to do those versions on the ground.

M. Night Skymall posted:

I was too lazy to find the tweet, but apparently someone has created a fake invoice from arc systems work showing them paying people to promote guilty gear (instead of melty blood I guess.) And SA got 12 grand. So where's that money, fess up people. How on earth is SA on the same fake invoice as tiktok, look how relevant we are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFlh1yhy-J8

ETA: The tweet: https://twitter.com/bebopaloobopawo/status/1416695656991928320

i like that they paid 320 grand to twitter. like, the company? are they suppressing melty blood tweets for blood money?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ya must be a conspiracy to suppress other games and not the fact that nobody knows what melty blood is unless they are a huge fg nerd in their 30s

Even people who watch Evo already don’t like GG if the comments on streams are anything to go by

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I hope Ramlethal and Happy Chaos get married in the next story arc. Or are they the same person? I feel like half of the GG cast is one of two people.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Sorry to double post, but can anyone tell me off the top of their head why my throws always whiff whenever I knock somebody into the corner with my swords as Ram and then I run up to them? It looks like they're just crouch blocking but I keep getting the whiff animation. Am I just doing it too early?

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

porfiria posted:

Sorry to double post, but can anyone tell me off the top of their head why my throws always whiff whenever I knock somebody into the corner with my swords as Ram and then I run up to them? It looks like they're just crouch blocking but I keep getting the whiff animation. Am I just doing it too early?

Probably. There's a few frames of throw invulnerability there you're probably running into. I do it all the time with May's command throw myself.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah 5 frames of throw invul after leaving blockstun/knockdown/hitstun (i think? not sure about that last one)

from the patch notes:
• Players can now queue up as spectators even when there are no players having a match at a Duel Station.
:worship::worship::worship:

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

So in what situation would you actually use 87412H as goldlewis? It's a low combo starter, but it's slow as balls and its range is so short that you'll just whiff if you cancel into it off of any blockstring longer than 1 hit even in the corner. When would you use this over 5k/2k?
I also don't really get what 69874H does.

842H is +16 on block, and you can also use it in corner combos because it hits up top when it starts. Stuff like c.S 2H 426H c.S 842H etc.

684H hits at the same range and speed as 624H, but it lifts up on hit. You can't get anything off it without meter but it gives you more time to set up the drone and move in.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

RevolverDivider posted:

I get not liking Happy Chaos but it’s insane to say he has no personality. gently caress Crawl is one of the best songs in the game for displaying personality and he’s not even playable yet

Do we actually know that Crawl is his? I don't feel anything identifiably 'Happy Chaos' about it. Maybe that one line about rainbows, but that more fits the sort of character you'd immediately picture as being named 'Happy Chaos' rather than the one we've got. I guess the chorus is a bit of a mirror to I-No's, which could work for him?

I find Happy Chaos uninteresting because he doesn't have much in the way of motivations, predilections or limitations. Not even in the 'I'm rudderless and that's a problem' that I-No has going on in this game, he just doesn't have much there, which makes it hard to really care about him. Like, why do I care if he does or doesn't get what he's going for? He clearly doesn't. It's good that he's surrounded by people who actually do have stakes, be they on his side (I-No, Nago) or against him (the G4, Asuka), because by himself he's about as interesting as a natural disaster: scary, sure, but not interesting by itself so much as causing interesting problems.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Shadow Bedman is real

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
they should put orochi yashiro in this game

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It's wild that they made an anime Joker, but it's the Potemkin who got the society song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Crab if you're PC and ever want to do some Faust sets, let me know. I haven't fought enough Nagos and wouldn't mind the chance to see what does and doesn't work myself. I linked my steam profile earlier in the thread and am in the goon discord under the same name.

Sure thing, but mind that I'm still a floor 8 scrub. I'm in the goon discord too, look for crab-related names. Probably won't get a chance to play until tomorrow evening though.