Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Keep in mind that doesn’t really mean a whole lot for how good characters actually are or tiers. Sol and May are still definitely stronger then Goldlewis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

It's also a really narrow range, if that's all we have to go on then the balance looks great tbh.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack-O is a clear outlier in that either people haven't learned her yet or she's actually quite weak.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Thirsty Dog posted:

It's also a really narrow range, if that's all we have to go on then the balance looks great tbh.

Yeah, I'd like to see a version that was zoomed out to the whole 0-1 range of possible values, and with the blue bars removed so you just see the confidence intervals. That would give a clearer big picture.

Edit: You can't remove the blue bars, but you can zoom out on the page, which makes Happy Chaos' error bars even more hilarious. He has a 100% winrate vs May based on a total of 2 games played.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 1, 2021

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
No need to thank me, I'm beating up those Sols. But seriously, its rare to find a good Sol. A ton of them play the same and get more degenerate as they lose. Bandit revolver gimmicks seem to be the flavor of the month.

On the other hand, I am awful at fighting Axl. I'll lose like 8/10 games to them on both my mains!

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

Jack Trades posted:

Jack-O is a clear outlier in that either people haven't learned her yet or she's actually quite weak.

I'm practicing her right now and the weakness definitely feels like my brain more than the character. She can be fun as hell but you need a constant vigilance against trying to do poo poo that looks cool but is fake as hell. go yolo and she gets stuffed so bad.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

im guessing characters like may and sol may be skewed by being more popular. whereas most players on celestial playing goldlewis have a better idea of what they're doing on average. that doesn't explain zato, though. maybe he's just weak. ah well

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

b_d posted:

im guessing characters like may and sol may be skewed by being more popular. whereas most players on celestial playing goldlewis have a better idea of what they're doing on average. that doesn't explain zato, though. maybe he's just weak. ah well

You can see the character popularity there too. Nago and Ky are the most popular characters.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Can't really gauge a characters strength based on that chart. It's just a fun little graph to see what celestial players are up to. Zato is definitely strong!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

poe meater posted:

Can't really gauge a characters strength based on that chart. It's just a fun little graph to see what celestial players are up to. Zato is definitely strong!

You can judge how easy it is for an average player on floor X to win with character Y (against character Z).

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Zato definitely isn't weak. Him having a winning matchup against Nago alone is enough to earn him a place.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Jack Trades posted:

You can see the character popularity there too. Nago and Ky are the most popular characters.

no i can't. it's a lot of work to look at a whole graph and read the text on it. clicking a link to a whole page and reading any number of words on there? that is a full-time job.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

It's surely more the former, but the latter has some truth to it and would also demotivate people from playing her. When you need a relatively larger amount of setup to get your damage going and that damage isn't one to two touch kill level (or at least not as easily), there's not going to be as big a draw.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

Holy poo poo is Golddick that good now? I haven't played since the last patch in I think September?

Did they buff him that hard or did people figure him out?

Goldlewis is a strong character who is held back by some bad matchups. The FD changes also hurt his offense because it's very easy to push him out if you have meter to burn. But his knockdown game is amazing and he gets left/right mixups midscreen and can do fuzzy high/lows with meter. His damage is also obscenely high in the corner and he cranks opponent's RISC very quickly.

His bad matchups include characters that have an easy time shutting him down in neutral. Axl is the obvious one that people point out but it's not unwinnable. I-No is rough because chemical love is so strong against Gold in neutral due to his size and lack of double jump/low jump arc. I'd say he's disadvantage against at least half the cast right now with very few advantage match ups. He's kind of like Waldstein from UNI in that regard: strong tools and not a bad character on paper, but he just struggles with the rest of the cast.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Played some happy chaos
Love him.
No idea what im doing

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Happy Chaos is cool.

The big thing I don't like about him is it seems like all of his buttons absolutely kill ground momentum. Makes Run - Button have way less range than you think it'll have.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Far slash hits like half the screen at least

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

His f.S is crazy disjointed in the front and it usually beats other f.S buttons of similar range, like his hands are entirely disjointed, which is weird for this game. It seems like he has good range on his normals but poor framedata unless you cancel into Fire.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

His j.D owns too. Cross up from any distance practically

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I didn't realize how much of an unconcious button masher I was until I tried to learn Happy Chaos.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I didn't realize how much of an unconcious button masher I was until I tried to learn Happy Chaos.

I call it "extended double tapping".

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Tekken 7 was the game that made me realize I was lousy with excessive inputs and maybe needed to practice cleaning that up a bit.

Happy Chaos is really neat but also I'ma stick with Jack-o as my wacko

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Put your finger on HS and take it off when you want him to shoot. Negative edge is the natural enemy of mashing

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Does GG have negative edge? I thought it only did anything for zato

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Happy's gunshots have negative edge, now that he's in the game.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

it doesn't have the general property that you can trigger special moves with both the negative and positive edge like SF does, if that's what you mean. does KOF do that too i forget

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
KoF has no negative edge. In general it's a Capcom thing. ArcSys only uses it for puppet characters and rarely other character specific gimmicks. MK has it as toggle option.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

KoF has no negative edge.

Well, outside of button hold characters

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.

mango sentinel posted:

ArcSys only uses it for puppet characters and rarely other character specific gimmicks.

At least for the XX games negative edge worked for special moves and overdrives as well. Xrd was the first game to not make it a thing in general like for Capcom fighting games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I lose a lot as happy chaos trying to get the kill with the 2 hand stance shot cause the slowmo behind the back angle of the gunshot owns

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

MK has it as toggle option.

Am I insane or wasn't this the default in mk11?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Real hurthling! posted:

I lose a lot as happy chaos trying to get the kill with the 2 hand stance shot cause the slowmo behind the back angle of the gunshot owns

https://twitter.com/monkeydfoolster/status/1466613841278775301

edit: i thought he was in that stance in this clip but it's good to watch anyway and imagine if it was TWICE as cool (two hands)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thats the lazy one hand version.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i think chaos is not gonna ultimately be for me.

Strictly speaking as a casual scrub, his speed and his normals are just not cutting it for a character with no defensive tools and no pressure or damage without concentration.

If he was a loving gorilla i could see having all these limitations on his power but hes like an explosive damage character that needs a lot of stars to align to cash out.

Im excited to see him in tournaments tho.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I tried him a bit and boy is he hard to wrap my head around between converting hits with gunshot, managing ammo and concentration, and getting used to how long it takes to lock on. I often went into negative penalty because I'd try to backdash for range too much, which clearly means I'm not using his tools well at all for positioning. He doesn't really seem like a stars aligning type of character though, compared to like Jack-O, because the whole point of him seems to be turning any hit into damage with the gun. Whether that damage will end up being enough is maybe a question.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

I tried him a bit and boy is he hard to wrap my head around between converting hits with gunshot, managing ammo and concentration, and getting used to how long it takes to lock on. I often went into negative penalty because I'd try to backdash for range too much, which clearly means I'm not using his tools well at all for positioning. He doesn't really seem like a stars aligning type of character though, compared to like Jack-O, because the whole point of him seems to be turning any hit into damage with the gun. Whether that damage will end up being enough is maybe a question.

use curse orb more bc it's a backdash without negative penalty and allows you to not worry about targeting for a bit. just like 5K6K orb if they block, reload if you need to and then just see what they do and hit 6S or 6P to do some damage if they whiff or jump, or go into the Hunter stance to throw out a sniper shot and make them guard crush block if they're afraid of approaching. Granted I suck rear end at the character but this is kind of working for me to understand their gameplan

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

brainSnakes posted:

Am I insane or wasn't this the default in mk11?

Negative Edge was just hardwired into MK9 and a bunch of people complained so they gave you the ability to turn it off in 10 and 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Kazunoko has picked up Happy Chaos and is playing him as a rushdown character to huge success, barely ever bothers with clones and saves his bullets for hit confirms and combo enders

https://youtu.be/ir0CfH1ZWy8

Honestly one of the players I expected to pick him up the most since he's crazy with technical characters