Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Momomo posted:

I've been going between floors 8 and 9 and I still can't really get RC combos to work, half because I never think to use them and half because I get too impatient even using them that I mess it up. I also can't get the drift RC to work in a way that feels natural. The command to do it feels totally backwards (dash and THEN rc, instead of RC and dash) so every time I try I get myself mixed up.

I also have a lot of trouble using 6P. I've seen people say it's really good, but it is basically a dead button when I try and use it.

Drift RC becomes a lot easier if you do it with the dash macro instead of a 66 input, then it's just two buttons and you don't have to coordinate your left & right hands etc etc.

The use of RC in combos changes a lot between different characters but one of the easiest ways to use it is to just do your normal non-RC combo, then then as you do the last hit say "eh i feel like I wanna keep hitting them" and pop RRC to extend it. Usually you can get by just learning one "RC extension" and doing it whenever you feel like cashing in meter for damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Momomo posted:

I also have a lot of trouble using 6P. I've seen people say it's really good, but it is basically a dead button when I try and use it.

Which character do you play and when are you using your 6P? Some characters definitely have worse 6Ps than others.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Momomo posted:

6P is almost universally good for beating fS and jump-ins. That's what it's for.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Momomo posted:

May I interest you in switching to the fantastic long range character, Axl Low

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

6P is a button that makes your top half invincible. A lot of long-reaching attacks have hurtbox extensions inside their hitboxes and they don't all reach all the way to the floor, so if you think someone is going to poke you from far away you can 6P to make yourself invincible from the knees up and stick a hitbox out into their big hitbox and hit the caramel hurtbox center inside their poke.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Depending on the kind of player you're fighting, you can also use 6P aggressively. Dash at them then hit 6P to pop them for hitting the wrong button.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Control Volume posted:

May I interest you in switching to the fantastic long range character, Axl Low

if someones problem is their 6P feels like a dead button axl is not the move lol. most axls dont even know it exists

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/X17NSF7.mp4

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I know this is a broad question, but is there a trick to escaping Gio's corner pressure? I feel like in fighting games whenever strings feel impossible to deal with there are usually gaps or some knowledge check you can do to escape, but none of the basic stuff I tried worked.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

fadam posted:

I know this is a broad question, but is there a trick to escaping Gio's corner pressure? I feel like in fighting games whenever strings feel impossible to deal with there are usually gaps or some knowledge check you can do to escape, but none of the basic stuff I tried worked.
Unless the last patch changed something, you can 6P the flipkick overhead and interrupt the spiral kick special's startup.
Also the flipkick and the dogkick specials are - on block so if you block them you should take your turn.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Unless the last patch changed something, you can 6P the flipkick overhead and interrupt the spiral kick special's startup.
Also the flipkick and the dogkick specials are - on block so if you block them you should take your turn.

Thanks playa. As a big GG noob I think I have to get used to using my punches way more lol.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jack Trades posted:

6p works on the wolfkick as well now, so she has no "safe" special to end her pressure without counterplay.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

lol, does the chaingun or drone change at all?

Reiley posted:

6P is a button that makes your top half invincible. A lot of long-reaching attacks have hurtbox extensions inside their hitboxes and they don't all reach all the way to the floor, so if you think someone is going to poke you from far away you can 6P to make yourself invincible from the knees up and stick a hitbox out into their big hitbox and hit the caramel hurtbox center inside their poke.

Off the top of my head, though checking dustloop for this would be a good idea

Ky and Nago's big forward stab can be 6P'd

Faust's long range stab grab can be 6P'd

I'm sure one of May's bigger swings can be 6P'd but gently caress if I know which one, same with Zato now that I think about it.

I-no's 5S, the guitar lightning bolt, can be 6P'd although it doesn't feel quite as long reaching as Ky or Nago's stab it's still plenty punishable if they like doing it as a poke.

Millia and Testament feel like their 6P is extra big.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

6p works on the wolfkick as well now, so she has no "safe" special to end her pressure without counterplay.

I feel like that could always be reactively 6P'd, same with dolphin.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 17, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

FunkyFjord posted:

I feel like that could always be reactively 6P'd, same with dolphin.

No not the overhead. Sepultura.
The grounded safe ender which she used to use for frametraps or to punish you for mis-predicting the flip by counterhitting your 6p.

They moved the hitbox up so it is vulnerable to 6p as well now when it used to beat it:
old:
new:

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Woah I can actually crawl it if there's a gap

fadam posted:

Try using FD

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

No not the overhead. Sepultura.
The grounded safe ender which she used to use for frametraps or to punish you for mis-predicting the flip by counterhitting your 6p.

They moved the hitbox up so it is vulnerable to 6p as well now when it used to beat it:
old:
new:

Ooh I was thinking about her spiral arrow kick and not the big dog kick follow up that almost always gets thrown in. I don't play Gio so I thought that was a normal lol.

Still feels like that comes out quick enough that I probably can't 6P it in frame trap/block chain but maybe I should go ahead and try to counter it the next several times I fight a Gio.

This explains why I see that kick either replaced or followed up by backdash dash in 2K a lot more frequently now.

Deapite that losing change Gio seems just as common and maybe better now after patch?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

fadam posted:

generally against this what you want to do is learn what moves are punishable - this has already been explained. you have three broad ideas for getting out of corner pressure. the first is to find an unsafe move and contest with a fast button(most characters this is going to be 5K) or use 6P for upper body invincibility. the second is to use FD to gain space and either whiff punish with something like 2D2D or superjump out. finally you can YRC if you have enough meter

training mode + dustloop is good for learning what you can contest but ultimately you just want to play more games and try stuff out on your character

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

TGLT posted:

Which character do you play and when are you using your 6P? Some characters definitely have worse 6Ps than others.

I use Anji and when I think to use it, it's typically when someone is trying to jump at me (and I am specifically telling myself not to just use Kou). It might be a case where the animation is just not very helpful in showing what it's good at, but it feels like it has no range and I get hit wherever I try to use it.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

You have to be careful with 6P in general, people like to treat it like it's the solution to all their problems but they're high commit buttons with not-so-great reward. Your opponent can just choose to do nothing instead and then you whiff a big fat 6P and eat a punish (this probably isn't a thing on lower floors, since everyone at that level always wants to be doing SOMETHING). Everything in moderation. Some moves can also just be hard to anti-air and you gotta hold it or really understand how their moves interact with your 6P.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Unless you're Testament. Their 6P is bonkers and kind of difficult for a lot of characters to punish and beats like everything.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Kongming posted:

You have to be careful with 6P in general, people like to treat it like it's the solution to all their problems but they're high commit buttons with not-so-great reward. Your opponent can just choose to do nothing instead and then you whiff a big fat 6P and eat a punish (this probably isn't a thing on lower floors, since everyone at that level always wants to be doing SOMETHING). Everything in moderation.

yeah, lots of fighting game players like to give advice like "may matchup is easy, just 6P to stuff dolphin and its gg" and then someone reads that, practices 6P to beat dolphin for an hour, and then when they play a may the may player just goes for aerial crossups all game and blends them into a fine powder

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Momomo posted:

I use Anji and when I think to use it, it's typically when someone is trying to jump at me (and I am specifically telling myself not to just use Kou). It might be a case where the animation is just not very helpful in showing what it's good at, but it feels like it has no range and I get hit wherever I try to use it.

Yeah the issue with Anji's 6P is Kou is like right there, fast, powerful, and Anji's air buttons are pretty good anyways if you miss. The hitbox can also be a bit visually janky since it's basically not on the fans.

Honestly unless you have a specific 6P combo in mind I don't know why you wouldn't just hit them with Kou for jump-ins outside of like reaction time. 6P's a solid choice for countering long pokes and contesting other 6Ps though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wish there were meterless combos off 6P, it felt good to anti air into corner carry + hard knockdown in older games if you knew the route. Damage is already bonkers why not add meterless routes off 6P.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

In Training posted:

I wish there were meterless combos off 6P, it felt good to anti air into corner carry + hard knockdown in older games if you knew the route. Damage is already bonkers why not add meterless routes off 6P.

A bunch of the cast gets decent ch combos off anti air 6P, they just don't have a hosed up c.S like Millia does.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
made a level 1600 giovanna ragequit on celestial today. progress feels good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

What a good, incredibly specific overlap

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Finally to the point in this game where I can a. understand why my combos are dropping and try adjusting mid-match, b. understand what my opponents are doing and have a rough idea of when to challenge a blockstring and c. quickly notice when Im mashing buttons and stop.

Im still horrible but Im finally at a point where I can figure out the causes of my own failures.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Anji players, how are you guys enjoying him now? He seems infinitely more annoying to fight against now. I'm running into a bunch of Anji gorillas where it feels extremely tough to get out of the corner.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

poe meater posted:

Anji players, how are you guys enjoying him now? He seems infinitely more annoying to fight against now. I'm running into a bunch of Anji gorillas where it feels extremely tough to get out of the corner.

I havent played much cause of mon hun

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I haven't touched the tower in forever, but I've played some matches with friends. I think it's fair to say fuujin is less of a suicide pact than it used to be and I like the new options off of throw -> butterfly, but I did still feel the loss of rin bounce and kou hkd. I guess you could say overall it was a buff? But like a buff from last place to the new last place.

edit: Also converting off of a counter hit rin is harder than it used to be and I don't know why that needed to happen to it. Rin in general feels more consistent but just overall worse. Maybe I'll finally sit down and play in the tower again to really feel out the changes.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 7, 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im waiting for a very ignorant slayer

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Real hurthling! posted:

:hmmyes:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Real hurthling! posted:

The day he's added, I will be there.

In the meantime, I keep putting off learning the basics of fighting games to instead play nothing but Elden Ring all year.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I should've put Slayer as a character I wanted in the survey but I put ABA and Zappa for laughs and Jam cuz that's my friend's main

Not that I'm gonna do anything but play Baiken for the life of the game but still

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'd like Zappa but they'd probably water him down the same way they did Testament.

I can only dream of getting my boi Raven though. Maybe he'll make it into the game unmolested...in Season 4 or something.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I would love Slayer but I dunno if he makes it in one piece. A lot of the more basic cast sorta did though, Potemkin is very recognizably himself from like the PS2 to now

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I can't imagine a version of Slayer with no Dandy Step, Pilebunker or command grab. I don't think he's really got any gimmicks or resources that would make him tough to bring into Strive.

At least not compared to the more complex stuff they culled when redesigning, say, Jack-O or Baiken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Skypie posted:

I can't imagine a version of Slayer with no Dandy Step, Pilebunker or command grab. I don't think he's really got any gimmicks or resources that would make him tough to bring into Strive.

At least not compared to the more complex stuff they culled when redesigning, say, Jack-O or Baiken

His fancy back teleport tech is 100% going away.