Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Not that experience level matters as such, but uh, is the scale completely different on the celestial floor? Feels like I spent weeks just crawling from 95 to 105, then two match wins in celestial trial ramped me right up to 118. Then after getting knocked back to 10, a fight against someone who was level 1700 (!?), I only got 100 exp again, so it's not just a difference in levels...

You have to be playing on the celestial floor to get big xp. A celestial win will get you somewhere between 10k~50k usually (sometimes more), whereas playing on floor 10 will get you around 200~500xp. I think there are XP bonuses for having a winstreak and breaking someone else's winstreak as well. Not sure how opponent level factors into XP (if it does at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah drilling a combo in training mode and trying to land it in a match are very different challenges. since you only sporadically get it started it's natural to psych yourself out because you HAVE to do it THIS time. and that's on top of all the mental load you have from being mid game and the fact that you're starting in a very different mental state than when you're in training mode.

the good news is that you're doing the right thing! it just takes a bit more time. you have the muscle memory down, which is vital. hitting it in a match requires you to be comfortable/familiar with the setup so you can recognize it and execute it. which means you should play more matches and keep trying to land it, which you're doing.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
EDIT: I think I'm mixing up moves, disregard this for now

guppy fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 13, 2021

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I think it's intentional that Celestial wins give you a crapton more exp. It's an indicator that shows if a person's been in Celestial at all even if they aren't currently in there because the exp gains are so small outside of Celestial that even endlessly grinding on the game won't level you up very much at all.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/ScrubQuotesX/status/1437264776921587719

Strive needs more zoners.

Also, I'm suddenly tempted to pick up Axl.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
where the gently caress is dizzy

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

abit sad innit mate

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jack Trades posted:

https://twitter.com/ScrubQuotesX/status/1437264776921587719

Strive needs more zoners.

Also, I'm suddenly tempted to pick up Axl.

This guy has NO idea what fighting an Axl is like. There's no running away involved at all.

We don't get away from you, we get YOU away from US.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Anyone have tips for the goldlewis/ram matchup? Or videos? There are literally none on keeponrockin.
I'm just totally lost about what to do in neutral. I'm slow as poo poo, all I have going for me is range, but Ram's sword normals outrange my grounded pokes. And then her low jump height + super long j.S totally dominate the air so I can't control ground space with j.D or air space with my j.S. Unlike pot or another goldlewis she's also fast enough that I can't get away with using the gun or mine from out of range.

Even the matches I win I start off by losing neutral and then defending long enough to escape or steal the corner.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

If you get a hit you have to kill her or mix her then kill her. You will basically need to burn your health to get your one chance to corner her and if she gets away from the corner alive you’re going to lose. Just slowly advance and gain ground to the corner. Don’t take big risks because if you get put on defence against a good Ram as Goldlewis you’re loving done for

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Sounds similar to how Pot Vs Ram goes. That might be Pot's worst match up. I rather fight Axl with each round going to timeout

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Anyone have tips for the goldlewis/ram matchup? Or videos? There are literally none on keeponrockin.
I'm just totally lost about what to do in neutral. I'm slow as poo poo, all I have going for me is range, but Ram's sword normals outrange my grounded pokes. And then her low jump height + super long j.S totally dominate the air so I can't control ground space with j.D or air space with my j.S. Unlike pot or another goldlewis she's also fast enough that I can't get away with using the gun or mine from out of range.

Even the matches I win I start off by losing neutral and then defending long enough to escape or steal the corner.

Here's a video of Gobou steamrolling a Ramlethal player for a few games. Not sure how much help it's going to be as he's basically winning neutral immediately and then the Ram doesn't get to play any more. I think one thing to keep in mind is that you want to play midscreen as much as possible. Ramlethal doesn't get any good offense from midscreen hits but Goldlewis can run his oppressive offense from anywhere on the screen. If you get cornered by Ramlethal the round is basically over for you. On the other hand, it's difficult for Ram to escape from Goldlewis (I mean, it's hard for anyone really) just so long as you are aware of her meter situation and safejump any reversal supers she might toss out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIbYzGBdi0w

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
He has way scarier pressure than my basic looping high/low poo poo but in terms of neutral it looks like I just need a better feel for the footsies. Mostly he's getting one good j.D knockdown into pressure, which is the same basic thing I'm trying to do, but he has a way better read on when the ram is going to push buttons so he can get away with it. (Whereas I just do it randomly and eat poo poo).

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Is ram near the corner? She pressing them butts

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I get bored waiting for rams swords to explode and do stupid things instead of just blocking

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If you just block and wait for the ram sword to explode every time she can loop her pressure infinitely.
Sometimes you've gotta jump out of it.
Goldlewis and Nago need to superjump up to avoid it which kind of sucks though.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

potemkin can flick the explosion after blocking the sword which is ftw because somehow his return projectile is eaten by the explosion (?) and if ram hits a normal he gets counterhit.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

b_d posted:

potemkin can flick the explosion after blocking the sword which is ftw because somehow his return projectile is eaten by the explosion (?) and if ram hits a normal he gets counterhit.

It's worse than you think because it's bugged or simply broken. Ram's sword throws count as both projectile and physical hits at the same time, so sometimes you will flick a hit of the sword and the physical part will simply negate the projectile immediately. But then depending on how exactly Pot's hurtbox collided with the sword, sometimes the projectile will go through the physical part and work normally instead. And it's entirely ambiguous which one will happen!

You can influence it in Pot's favor at neutral by doing Kara FDB instead, but of course that's not an option during block strings, so you're just kind of SOL.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Hmm I thought it bugged out depending on how the camera is zoomed

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I hope the next patch improves the proximity range for close S on anii and probably sone of the other slow bad frame data characters cause i feel like the difference is life or death sometimes and the range you can get close S in is super loving tiny like the models can still be practically touching and you still get far S

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Real hurthling! posted:

I hope the next patch improves the proximity range for close S on anii and probably sone of the other slow bad frame data characters cause i feel like the difference is life or death sometimes and the range you can get close S in is super loving tiny like the models can still be practically touching and you still get far S

the last patch showed that this suffering is an intentional part of playing anji

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The last patch, after some time playing, is essentially just giving anji more opportunities to use his terrible moveset, like the billion frame airborne projectile with no hitbox until it hits the ground

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

I get bored waiting for rams swords to explode and do stupid things instead of just blocking

everytime lol. although millia can do the qcbK dash and its a nice escape that some rams arent ready to deal with.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Hgggh I just can't get down doing RRCs in combos against live opponents. For whatever reason, I just forget to RC. Consistently. I'll do the combo for half an hour in training, get into a live match, and just not RC after dolphin, even though I'm thinking "okay RC" I just... don't.

Thankfully, this practice is teaching me the value of 2K > 2D > [4]6S on May, which is both a great use of my generally good ability to know when to go for a low, and makes opponent rage like nothing else.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
It's good to have a combo in mind, but if you're having issues remembering to RRC then just get into the habit of RCing period when you have the bar. BRC over people's heads for stupid hits. PRC away after a whiff. YRC on defense. Slap the RC button when you only meant to hit the dash macro but your brain misfired. Huff RC shockwaves to slow down your perception of time like that one drug in Dredd. Get comfortable with thinking of RCs as fun and crucial piece of your toolkit locked behind a minor bar expenditure, instead of as a costly thing to be used sparingly or as an option for specific situations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Incorporating RCs really is just a 'just do it' thing. Step 1 is to RC after you either hit a thing or get blocked, doesn't matter which, then see what you can get after it. Step 2 is working out what the best options after the RC are or looking up videos.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Whenever you see something the slightest bit unfamiliar on defense just RC, if it works you'll have something for your 10,000 IQ highlight reel and if it doesn't then you still have the moral victory.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I use RC so much now that I completely forgot how to use my super. I'm not sure if this is a step in the right direction.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The only times generic supers are useful are wallbreak enders, kill secure enders, or yolo reversals. RCs are almost always a better use of meter outside of in the corner.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I use RC so much now that I completely forgot how to use my super. I'm not sure if this is a step in the right direction.

General opinion in most guilty gear games is that RC is a better use of meter than super in most situations so you're probably doing it right.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

RevolverDivider posted:

The only times generic supers are useful are wallbreak enders, kill secure enders, or yolo reversals. RCs are almost always a better use of meter outside of in the corner.

The supers that are used a lot are like Zato refill with his swords or are super +frames on block (I-No, Gio).

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah that’s what I meant by generic supers, Zato and Ino love using their meter for supers. Nago only has use for super as a wall break ender or reversal.

Ky is one of the few exceptions but that’s cause RTL wall breaks from like mid screen

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RevolverDivider posted:

Ky is one of the few exceptions but that’s cause RTL wall breaks from like mid screen

And even then he often uses the meter just as much to make stun dipper safe or convert from it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Glagha posted:

General opinion in most guilty gear games is that RC is a better use of meter than super in most situations so you're probably doing it right.

I always feel like a big dummy when I autopilot into an RC combo extension in the corner instead of going for a super wallbreak as Goldlewis. Then I lose my corner and my oki!

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I'm having some input problems that I'm not sure how to adapt to. I'm using a hitbox and I'm having a hard time doing drift RC inputs because it seems like using the dash button is best for that (it's in the MK position on my controller right now) but I've gotten used to doing RC's by tapping the top 3 buttons (p,s ,hs,) and doing both at once is weird and I'm having a hard time getting used to it. Do other people do drift RC's in a different way or would it just be best for me to bind RC to one of my outside buttons and get used to hitting that?

dprk -i juche.deb
Jul 25, 2012

you must give up playing this hole

Dracula Factory posted:

I'm having some input problems that I'm not sure how to adapt to. I'm using a hitbox and I'm having a hard time doing drift RC inputs because it seems like using the dash button is best for that (it's in the MK position on my controller right now) but I've gotten used to doing RC's by tapping the top 3 buttons (p,s ,hs,) and doing both at once is weird and I'm having a hard time getting used to it. Do other people do drift RC's in a different way or would it just be best for me to bind RC to one of my outside buttons and get used to hitting that?

What finger are you hitting the dash button with? I have it on the MK position too, and I find it pretty comfy to tap the dash button with my thumb and then hit the top three buttons with my index, middle and ring fingers.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RevolverDivider posted:

Yeah that’s what I meant by generic supers, Zato and Ino love using their meter for supers. Nago only has use for super as a wall break ender or reversal.

millia disc super also has crazy wallbreak range

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Dracula Factory posted:

I use hitbox and assuming you're using default arcade layout for GG I put dash button next to H. So it top row looks like K S H Dash. Also make sure you tap dash slightly before you RC. If you hit them all at the same time you will not drift.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

this thread posted:

A bunch of good advice about RCs and meter usage
Points well taken! I was very free with meter usage on RCs when I started playing, but over time I've gotten more and more hesitant to use them, especially since I switched over to using a stick, and the three-button input. I think I got too much in my head about being afraid to mess up the input when really I should be doing it more to make sure the input is solid in muscle memory.

In conclusion, here's me spending 100 meter in the dumbest way possible:

https://i.imgur.com/XliGk9t.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

dprk -i juche.deb posted:

What finger are you hitting the dash button with? I have it on the MK position too, and I find it pretty comfy to tap the dash button with my thumb and then hit the top three buttons with my index, middle and ring fingers.

This is how I'm doing it too, after some messing around just now I realized that I was often moving my ring finger down to hit the button instead and that is obviously not good, so I'm just going to pay more attention to my thumb hitting it until I can get the muscle memory down.

Kongming posted:

I use hitbox and assuming you're using default arcade layout for GG I put dash button next to H. So it top row looks like K S H Dash. Also make sure you tap dash slightly before you RC. If you hit them all at the same time you will not drift.

This was also helpful, I was trying to hit RC after the dash much quicker than I needed to, so my timing was all messed up.

Thanks for the advice! I think I figured it out and now the actual hard part is learning how to play JackO at all optimally lol.