Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I am excited to see all the new character outfits and sincerely hope the theme of the game's redesigns is "cool coats".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

HerniaFlange posted:

some DnD RPG thing and the character has a giant weaponized 20-sided die.

You mean Faust?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

hat

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

They will condense 2/6P inputs onto 1/6K and end once and for all the scourge of players mapping P above K on their control setup. 5P/6K will be gone.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The end of the story mode in Xrd put Haehyun in kind of a central important position so I feel like she has a good chance of returning out of all the Xrd additions.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Haehyun is a lot more likely for how she fit into story mode, which they said the new game continues.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Heavenly Potemkin Buster should last even longer.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

5D8 combos being tiny feels weird even if it makes sense for everything doing more damage individually.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

But stuff like that, I just don't understand how I'm meant to do that at the pace of an actual match. If I'm not just mashing buttons, it feels like it takes far too long for me to think about how to do anything.

I know, I'm just whining about being bad at the game. I'm just disappointed after so many people swore "No, GG's tutorials are way better than other fighting game tutorials".

The tutorials are teaching you the important things you don't know, I think what it sounds like you're bouncing off of is not already knowing these things yet. Being able to incorporate those things into your gameplan comes with time, and you can only really become more confident in your gameplan when you are able to understand what you're even looking for in the first place, which is what the tutorials are ultimately introducing you to.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

g-c posted:

is this game super complicated to learn? the art direction is really drawing me in and looks really fun. I missed the beta though so I didn't get a chance to try it out

This game was made with you in mind so trust the program to guide you onboard

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Spuckuk posted:

Milia and I-no are the most setup focused characters and made it in though?

Think more why May doesn't have hoops or otter beachball anymore.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

What are these token placing characters called so i dont wrongly call them setup chars anymore?

Summons is the term used for May's things.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Arzachel posted:

They're not giving every single character tools to passively control parts of the screen anymore but there still can be characters specifically built around the concept. Venom doesn't seem like a stretch to me.

It looks like they're explicitly designing the game to omit that exact thing and them retiring Venom in a Rev2 story mode makes a lot more sense in hindsight.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Imagine Bedman being the first DLC character and then the last one is Shadow Bedman

Showing up, a delay and then him showing up again would be completely in line with his character.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

"This is the largest automobile that Zepp could afford"

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/MFViewtiful/status/1387214787117993986

:smith:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF07o74V7nc

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/bel_laurant/status/1397034193809547264

:(

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

yo mamma a Horus posted:

my dream is that he plays like ABA where he sucks until he lets the alien out lol.

He's got the Eliza Skullgirls little creature mechanic.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

At 1 minute 46 seconds of Axl Low's theme the music gets low and chill and then a voice asks, "how penis is your plenty?", and you're gonna know it's coming and you're gonna hear it every time. This will probably line up with the transition between round 2 and 3.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Theotus posted:

So those of you with a stick, what button layout are you using? Dedicating a button to roman cancels didn't seem necessary so I am drunkenly messing around in arcade mode with:

P S HS x
K dsh D x

Does that seem about right?

P goes below K

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Theotus posted:

Never really wrapped my head around K being a combo button in the old GG games. Only ever played them casually.

The logic for why it was set up that way is that KSH were like your main gatling combo buttons. Starting combos with P had a damage proration, it's a good button for mashing out of gaps or like jumping in with a bunch of overheads to check someone's blocking but K and S were both much better pokes and better ways to start big things, so KSH were all in a row next to each other. You can think of the buttons as ABCDE instead of PKSHD if that helps them make more sense.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Hyper Inferno posted:

Looking at the frame data, I'm surprised May's 5HS has gone from +7 to -15.

Team Red are cowards.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Steam download is live.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The way the always-online feature keeps pausing to connect with a server feels like its going to nickel and dime you out of time spent in the game.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Playing Strive buttons with any imprinted memory of prior Guilty Gears is what it must feel like to lose your arm in battle. You're pushing the buttons and the thing you expect isn't there. New players to the series don't have to worry about it at all but it's a really weird phenomenon to deal with as a GG liker of yore.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

b_d posted:

this is the classic GG layout, i don’t know if the default is different in Strive. i put dash on the fourth top button to make dash-RC easier. idk why you’d need a macro for RC or burst on stick.

When I loaded up on pc for the first time the layout was set for pad, which translated to box layout with dust on tip row 3rd button.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I want to battle to the character select song more than any of the selected character songs.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

All the extra colors are locked behind a $15 DLC paywall and all the colors for everyone past like the first two or three are the same palettes in the same order:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_42XOHsEeJM

e: I'm here fishing like a sucker going "where are my colors?" and here they were.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Sol is the ideal for what a character should feel like and I hope all characters get buffed to that someday.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Numerous Slayer references such as "is a vampire"

He do be teleporting around a lot.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Fix posted:

I suck at this game. If I knock someone down, I'm trying to get the gently caress away.

Knocking someone down is a prime opportunity to hit them when they get back up again! I don't know about other characters but if you're May you can knock them down and immediately do the walrus beachball summon and the timing should make it slap them on the head as soon as they stand up again.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Char posted:

Jesus, as Nago, how to you handle Ky? He seems impossible to approach.

You can 6p through stun edge projectiles and 6p his f.S pokes.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If someone gets mad about you playing May, just tell 'em to blame the beasts.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

interrodactyl posted:

hey guys i found a cool guide to the cool character "potemkin" whoever made this must be a pretty cool person

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzGNDbFmJNI

That's a handsome thumbnail on that video. Really well-composed and attractive.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

dhamster posted:

It's common for long pokes to have big vulnerable hurtboxes that come out before, during and/or after the active frames. Here are what some of the most dominant pokes in Xrd look like:

e: bonus dolphin

In addition to the hurtboxes being so far forward, the fact that these hitboxes are all skinny and high off the ground means they're all prime for counterpoking with 6P. It is a humble but powerful option at ranges where you may not think it's so useful.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Skypie posted:

Is this due to the upper body invincibility that 6P provides? If I'm being honest, I assumed a lot of these long pokes were active longer with more aggressive hitboxes so I didn't think to counter play them with 6P

Yup! You only have a hurtbox from the knees down, so low pokes like 2S can get you but if they're throwing out those long narrow f.S pokes you have a ready answer for them. May's 6P is especially good for this, in older games it wasn't a great antiair but it really excelled at counterpoking.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The May dust combo I've seen is even easier since you don't need to jump, the j.D does the jumping for you. It went:

HDKHDSS

And does a million trillion damage.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I just picked up the game. Is there an official tier list for who the cutest is?

Only your heart knows the truth. Follow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Hyper Inferno posted:

My preferred followup after HS dolphin is 5K. Stuffs people trying to jump, on block I can still jump/dash/another dolphin for more stuff.

I appreciate how the move where May lifts her entire body parallel with and completely off the ground is both jump and dash cancelable.