Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I can accept that, but... honesty time? I'm having a real tough time, mentally speaking, with just being dumpstered on for 10 matches straight and not winning a single round (not match, round). It's fine to lose matches when you learn something from it and it's at least somewhat even, but just getting combo'd from neutral to dead without being able to do anything at all, I just feel like the worst player in the world and makes me want to uninstall in shame. Obviously none of that is my opponents' fault, they're just playing the game, but... even if I don't care about winning, I care about having fun and feeling like I have agency, and that ain't it.

Even in matches where you're getting wrecked you can take an opportunity to learn after the match. Rewatch and look for a consistent move the opponent uses to get into their poo poo. If it's extremely strong and they keep going for it, that's the kind of stuff you can practice baiting out and punishing or at least find ways to not leave yourself open to it. You can also note down the combo they're doing and replicate it in training mode to look for gaps you didn't see while in the middle of a match.

Basically a replay of you getting walloped is an opportunity to learn the match up, to learn what people playing that character will fish for.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I am regularly getting deleted by things like my opponent just dashing up from neutral and throwing me, followed by a combo into the corner. Or just having a poke 6P'd and I'm just dead. Heck, even trying to jump out of grabs hasn't been working after the initial bout of success because now I run into people that just block any attack on the way down, then continue doing it. Besides, after a match like that, the only thing I want to do is alt+f4. I'm sorry, but I just don't have the patience to do things like watch replays or hang out in training mode. I just want some fun games against other people who are just as bad at the game as I am. Losing is fine in a match like that, but not when I feel helpless all game.

If your pokes are getting consistently 6P'd, you might be too predictable to some one who knows the match up better. Find other ways to approach with your character and mix up those approaches. You also don't always have to jump out of a grab, you can find your fastest normal button to pop them for getting too close. You can also figure out your character's safest jump, or mix in air dashes and empty jumps.

And I know training mode can seem boring, but just dropping five to ten minutes here and there will do anyone a lot of good. You don't have to do it right after a match or anything, just make a note of whatever got you and come back when you're in a headspace to learn. There's an amount of practice you're going to have to do though, and - outside of matches with friends/discords - it's either going to be in a real match with the pressure that brings or while in training mode.

edit: Like training doesn't need to be hours and hours, it can be just a minute of seeing what buttons can beat something else and a few more of testing what that can convert into if you don't yet know. Then you can hop back in to matches and work on making that instinctive or seeing what responses your opponents have.

also they really need to add the option to pause matchmaking while in training mode

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 7, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
So for character specific poo poo, this is where it's good to watch high level players (ie Fame96 for Nagoriyuki) like exquisite tea mentioned. Sure maybe Nagoriyuki doesn't have a literal air dash but he can do this poo poo. And you may not know what got you in a match, but if you write down which match it was you can come back later with a beer to just chill and figure it out. Think of it like a puzzle game hidden in Strive.

I'd also say a part of getting better at defense is to stop reacting and start predicting. This is where character and player knowledge comes in handy. Plus it just makes reacting easier because you're not looking for everything, just specific things.

And yeah, don't be afraid to just put away a character for a bit and see if some one else suits you as well. If nothing else it's a great way to learn what makes them tick for when you go up against them.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Could you explain what fuzzy jumping is? Or fuzzy block for that matter? I played the tutorial mission with that title, but... I'm not sure if I learned the lesson it intended me to learn. What I did was hold 1 until it seemed like the AI was going for an overhead, and switched to 4, and in the end I kinda felt like I passed the mission on luck alone. Is it just the same thing as picking the "safe" block option (1) and only switching to 4 when you see an overhead coming? And I don't see how this applies to jumping?

How do you share replays?

It already got answered, but don't forget if you see a term you don't recognize/fully understand you can also check out The FGC Glossary by Infil or the Dustloop glossary.

As for sharing a replay, if you're on PC they're saved under %LOCALAPPDATA%\GGST\Saved\SaveGames\<user-ID> as REP###.sav. I think you can just upload that and have some one download it to watch it? Alternatively you can just record and upload them to youtube.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 7, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
A really long range poke/projectile can also trigger his invulnerability state without letting him get close enough to do damage, although he'll be able to block after it. It's an option if you think the spin is a lead up for Big Fuujin.

If by spin you mean Fuujin itself (the green swirly bit), only one move that comes off of it (the low slash) is actually safe. The overhead can be interrupted, the jump up and fan toss can be DP'd, and you can throw him if he hops towards you. But unless you're good at reaction a lot of that is prediction.

Or you can practice this if you play Gio, Sol, Ky, or Chipp and break my heart.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 8, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
So other than some of the really obvious stuff like the burst at the start, don't be so conservative with your meter. You can't keep it after a round, don't die with a stick of butter in your hands. Think of RC as the "actually it's still my turn" button when you get blocked or get a combo going. Also going for Nagoriyuki's big super immediately after blood rage starts is pretty predictable. I don't play Nago much, but you should work on using his command grab (Bloodsucking Universe) to manage your blood meter. Don't forget you can do his command dash and cancel into the bite for extra range.

RevolverDivider posted:

YRC isn’t that good but it’s still an option you need to make sure people respect.

Honestly a lot of iffy options work like that. X may not always be the best, but do it once or twice and now your opponent has to waste mental energy thinking about it.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 9, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I know Sol's f.S is a really good button, BUT
https://i.imgur.com/pIFAwHA.mp4
maybe not fit for every situation

I wish Anji would get a big stupid grin on parry startup like he does with Sai.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Are you talking about when he spins his fans while approaching? That's -8 on block but it might push you out of range of your fast moves. The other one I can think of, when he slashes at an upward diagonal, is his 6P so it's got upper body invulnerability. His only move with plus frames is Fuujin > P (when he jumps up and tosses his fans down).

Real hurthling! posted:

Try that a few more times and enter the cool lose 50 meter and get grabbed zone

I'm not in heaven, but it's served me well unless my dumb thumb drops it. It definitely takes player knowledge - I usually wait for when I feel a flow chart incoming or on run up if they've a habit of attacking . His meter's definitely more for RC than either of his supers though.

I'll never top this parry.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 11, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Skypie posted:

It's that but then he does like an upward swirl? I eat it when I try to jump so I'm learning that's not the way to avoid it, but it's annoying to read it and he jabs me as soon as he lands and I can't seem to even get my c.S to come out first.

also I just got very frustrated against a Ky because at least twice I could see my 5K or c.S extended but I got grabbed anyway.

Ohhh, I think you're talking about his 236S (Kou). Yeah, that one is an anti-air move that also has upper body invulnerability. It can't hit an opponent that's grounded so you don't have to think about it unless you're in the air at least.

edit: As for recovery, landing cancels out recovery from air moves and yeah Kou has low recovery (comparable to his c.S).

TGLT fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 11, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Anji is a wonderful brain genius moron who wants to be friends with a samurai. Then, he becomes friends with a samurai. He has no further story that matters.

Real hurthling! posted:

Anji can also wiff j.d to fast fall and set up a butterfly while you are recovering from getting hit by a kou .

I haven't tested it, but tapping FD in the air would probably let you fall even faster.

But yeah approaching Anji in the air is risky.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah. Hopefully the next balance patch addresses that, the unbeatable fuujin option select, and I dunno make Fuujin -> 4K a backhop so you can bail out of Fuujin unless they go for a long range poke.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
The problem is his buttons are slow. His fastest is 6f versus something like Sol's 3f, so you can still be bopped. And twirl is already a risk.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
After some quick labbing, this is probably the best example I can come up with. You can also trade with his slash. It's a mashing race in Anji's favor, but Anji shouldn't have to mash at all. Twirl is already extremely punishable if the opponent doesn't attack, it feels like he should get the combo he wants if he makes that read.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Additionally, if you twirl into a projectile you're just hosed because the opponent doesn't suffer the hitstop.

Real hurthling! posted:

Also lol i didnt know why fujin mixup stopped working recently...thanks for telling me there was an os!

I go look it up and omg anjis workhorse special move can be option selected for high/low block by simply inputting hcb after he yells "fujin"

Yeah, they need to remove that. It's only on Sol, Gio, Leo, and Ky, but poo poo 3 of those 4 are already doing fine.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Honestly, a 4K backhop would be enough. You can stagger nagiha just a bit to catch anyone trying to punish the overhead, so it'd be fine if they just gave you a separate but mostly safe horizontal retreat to complement ichishiki.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

This scenario is why i switched to ram last night but it wasnt off stun edge it was off a twirled normal

Wanted to add an addendum, if you're going up against a super fast character like Chipp your safest move off twirl is going to be throw if you parried something fast like his 5P. If you're going up against a tasbot you might get throw teched but most the time you can set up a throw into butterfly oki. Otherwise if you twirl a fast recovering move you can be punished with Chipp's extremely fast 5P if you hit any other button. Not sure what all characters and moves can do that as well.

So real matchup specific there, but you do at least get 28 frames to recognize what move you parried and you can hit 6D to stay safe if you're not sure.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emYIxB7z6bo

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

BurningBeard posted:

Hey so I see that Xrd is on sale right now, and at the price it seems fine. I’d like to mess around with prior GG even if there’s no online presence for it, but I’m really confused with all these versions of the game. If I grab Rev2 does that include everything comprehensively from the first release of Xrd onward?

You either want All in One if you only care about the characters or All in One Deluxe if you also want the DLC colors and system voices. I think most listings will also include in parenthesis if it includes the optional (Color, system voices) DLC or not.

Like if you're looking at the listing on GameBillet, that does not (I think) include the optional DLC.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 14, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also for some reason Xrd doesn't have Rollback netcode on PC although GGXX: AC, the game from 2006 does. I personally dunno if people are still playing AC on Steam but that's a much harder game to get into at this point

AC +R only got rollback last year, and yeah there are people still playing it. Even if you can't find matches online you can always hit up a discord somewhere. Not going to be nearly as many new players though compared to Strive.

BurningBeard posted:

Ok so if I’m getting this right, Xrd is actually split into two different games, Revelator and the original, so it’s a question of picking one or the other?

Yeah I just planned on messing around in single player. Just wanna see how it changed, see different characters, etc. etc. It’s cheap enough that I don’t mind.

Would rather have gotten Granblue Vs. honestly, since it seems a bit more my style, but lol at that price and $30 for each season’s characters.

Rev and Rev2 are kind of like what Accent Core was for XX. Rev also includes Sign's story mode and characters. edit: Basically go for Rev2 over Sign if you want the full experience. I think you can even switch back to Sign mode? Or maybe it was you could switch back to original Revelator.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
It's on Gamebillet for $9.69 right now, so if you were going to grab it get it there instead of steam. edit: Oh hey +R is also on sale there for $2.41.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 14, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I mean you shouldn't, he's a good shadow boy who's been through enough, but yeah you can pop him. If you never do and the Zato player realizes it they can spend less time covering Eddie and more time setting you up for the wombo combo.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Actually if they have Positive Bonus there are some characters who really can do DBFZ-style 30-second gapless blockstrings because they build enough meter each iteration to PRC and start the blockstring all over again.
Chipp can do this for sure and my friend says ram/gio/millia can too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrEPtpbvpUo

Here's Ram's, including a section on how to counter it - FD it to push her away.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
From what I can tell, it'll drop the input if you complete it (or start it?) while Nagoriyuki is actually vanished. For backdash it happens so quickly you won't notice, but for forward dashing you need to wait just a bit before you start inputting the move you want. I don't know if it's because you can't cancel Fukyo into his other specials, or just Fukyo has a more specific window than the rest and won't let you buffer a move until you hit that window.

Takes some practice to get used to the timing for when you need to input his command grab.
https://i.imgur.com/re2EZBP.mp4

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 15, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I think you can get your inputs in right at the very tail end of his reappearing and have them count? But yeah it basically just comes down to practicing the timing of when to start. And ideally having clean inputs, not that my 623Ps are ever particularly clean.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I've only met a few Sols, presumably because they all rocketed to higher floors long ago and don't brawl with mere peasants anymore. Is the big problem with Sol the way he seems to just be able to do anything and everything, are his blockstrings too safe, his damage too high, or what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C6ffBfHg08

Like with Ram and most top tier characters in fighting games, yeah it's that they have so many options and they're not that hard to do. It's hard for him to be at a real disadvantage and he can convert just about any stray hit into half your life or more.

exquisite tea posted:

Sol seems philosophically to be built like a high-risk high-reward character but he can also get 50% damage or more off of a blind DP so it never feels like you can ever press an advantage at any point in the match.

Chipp's the high risk high reward character. Sol's their "hey this is what guilty gear is about" character and they just went too hard on letting him do everything. edit: Like no one here even mentioned he has pretty good kara cancel options on top of everything else he does.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 20, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
is he a chunky set up boy?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Out of range on start up if you're mashing throw, but I don't see why you couldn't just hold a dash button and throw Anji when you get in contact. edit: Could also probably just hit him on recovery if you know the timing. Will catch people mashing though.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
As some one who has gone 0-10 against a friend's Ramlethal, gently caress you I didn't tell you to switch characters hit the button.

If some one's rematching you that much they're probably happy for the opportunity to figure stuff out in a live scenario.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Take the character into training mode and see if you like the feel of their moveset. If you do, gently caress it play them. The worst thing you can do is pick a character who is considered ideal for beginners that you don't enjoy playing. Even if a character is tough to learn -and I don't know that Axl is - if you enjoy playing them you're far more likely to put in the time and effort to actually learn both how to play them and how to play fighting games in general. That's the advice I'd give you even if you were eying Zato, who is I think probably the hardest character in Strive to learn and play.

Plus if you do like zoning you're not really going to learn how to do it right unless you play a zoning character. edit: If you're worried about just getting bodied because of your character in ranked, don't. Part of learning is going to involve losing but you will be matched primarily with people around your skill level. Just starting out, what is going to really make an impact is going to be learning the fundamentals - spacing, blocking, making reads, learning how to learn matchups, and so on. Knowing the ins and outs of a character always helps but just getting a good grasp on the fundamentals will take you a long way. I don't think any character in this game (barring maybe Zato) has such a high skill floor that you can't pick them up as a beginner and learn the fundamentals with them.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 23, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
well the wiki's called dustloop so OBVIOUSLY

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Most important is to know which specific moves you can act after and which ones you can't first. Then you can start figuring out what moves lead into what, particularly which moves lead into particularly nasty strings at a given range and which ones don't.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Replay files are saved under %LOCALAPPDATA%\GGST\Saved\SaveGames\<user-ID> as REP###.sav so you can probably upload that somewhere and have some one download it to check on them?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
transcribe all inputs onto a notepad and mail that to me and i will do my best to recreate your honorable duel

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, that big poke has a hitbox and is super unsafe so long as you bait it out. If he tosses an item you might have enough time to see what came out and decide accordingly? If you want to practice it in training mode, record his toss plus a jab and the big fishing poke and set him to randomly do one whenever you hit play. edit: One of the things to remember about reacting to moves is that learning a character's options means you can focus on what options they actually have available. At that range you only need to think about a handful of moves with distinct startups. This especially gets easier after a few rounds with a Faust player because you get a better sense of what they personally like to do at a given range.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 27, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Just 6P the lobby system

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Can Foudre Arc be 6P'd? I feel like sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Quick look at the hitboxes makes me think yes if you catch it early enough into its active frames. Otherwise once he's halfway through the move he'd still pop your shins if you're close enough.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Unfortunately not without a mod like the hitbox injector. As for the second set of hitboxes, it looks like based on the tree it'd still be high enough to 6P? At least with most characters. Haven't hosed around with it in training mode myself.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Probably, but the question was about 6P and it's always worth knowing what all your options are.

edit: also, the forbidden amji mirror match
https://i.imgur.com/csQV1D9.mp4

TGLT fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 7, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Some people are really protective of their meaningless floor rank. Treat it like a badge of honor.

Also just getting back into playing ranked and I never realized that Anji's far slash is vulnerable to reversal supers so that was a fun match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Goddammit. There should be a character that’s actually based around airdashing, cause I’m a compulsive airdasher and that gets me exploded by Sol every single time.

I mean that's a lot of Millia's gameplan. She's even got two airdashes.