Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Remember when people said two types of RC was too much for new players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm excited for the game because I've played since the PS2, but I'm also the same idiot that buys fighting games, plays them for like 2 weeks, then realizes "oh I'm not a competitive person and I don't know what anything means why did I buy a fighting game" before buying the next one.

Like, I have fun with them and practice in the lab but when I get into actual fights? Everything crumbles instantly the second I get touched and I start mashing and jumping like a boss from a platformer because 'Training mode didn't prepare me for this! You're supposed to stand still while I botch my combos!!!'

Strive looks interesting to my ultra casual eye, I want to see gameplay of it and whatnot- I'm just not sure if I'm going to get it or if I've finally learned my lesson that fighting games don't gel with me very well.

E: Doesn't help that a lot of SA seems to kinda hate it or strongly dislike it so the negativity is kind of a bummer. I mean *I get it* but still.

Playing real games is just another training mode, you just need to keep going

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Every fighting game is equally difficult to learn since you will lose probably the same amount of hundreds of games before you win in all of them

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I believe the reason for GGs strange button layout is its modeled off of the old SNK layout that went like ABCD in a curve, like PKSH is now. Might be hearsay

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Control Volume posted:

Whats the execution barrier on this game? I ran into a brick wall when I tried a Blazblue game way back in the day because I could barely execute single moves consistently with practice, and then the game wanted me to string them together in some 10-ply monster of a combo that I couldnt complete in a 3hr dedicated session. Im guessing this still isnt a game I can handle but unlike a lot of fighters, I could actually comprehend what was happening in a fight when watching.

3 hours isnt a very long time to learn a combo in a game with long combos even if you know what youre doing

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
If i was nagoriyuki i would simply avoid filling my blood bar

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Rooflemonger has a whole video specifically dedicated to stopping the dolphins that's pretty useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh3ZGgpVrkY

Granted, I haven't been able to actually USE this information myself, but it definitely covers everything you need to know.

Something the comments brings up, though, that's actually pretty handy: In English, May has different lines for her fast and slow dolphins. In Japanese it's just two different intonations of 'totsugeki', but in English May says 'charge!' for the fast and 'go!' for the slow.

That's a good looking thumbnail if you ask me

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Someone figured out earlier in the thread that this seems to be a myth anyway - the lines are random.

The thread's advice to jump out of throws rather than trying to 5P them has worked out though! Saved my bacon on more than one occasion now. Thanks, thread.

Still can't react to the overhead glow fast enough though. :v: And... is there any real pattern to which attacks are overheads? I feel like there are so many things that are visually at head height yet are low (Faust's 2K), or at foot height but are overhead (Nagoriyuki's D).

You just gotta know.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Real zen secret isn't to tough it out until you win it's to learn how to enjoy losing

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
they should put orochi yashiro in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Foul Fowl posted:

i was looking for something a bit cheaper since the hitbox is loads of money but maybe that doesn't exist yet? thanks for the youtube rec :cheers:

Keyboard. Tried n true