Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
I got into Celestial last night, but I failed the challenge both times I had an opportunity. I like to mix in May's vertical dolphins followed by double jump/air dash/crossup air dash/neutral landing because everyone's getting used to the horizontal frame trap game. My worst matchups are May mirrors, Chipp, and Anji. I overthink May mirrors, and I haven't seen Chipp and Anji much until the last few hours I've been playing.

What should I be looking for against Chipp and Anji?

unimportantguy posted:

Boy a bunch of people on the higher floors of the tower are giant babies. They either see that I play May and refuse to play against me, or they ragequit after eating a Homing Jump combo and refuse to rematch. Maybe don't get hit by slow-rear end charged Dust. If I follow up a sweep with a charged Dust 4 times in a match, all 4 of them really shouldn't hit you.

I think people just really hate going to SeaWorld. :(

J2DK fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

unimportantguy posted:

My experience has been that randos in the park are actually less friendly and fun than randos in ranked and as soon as I win one they gently caress off. When I was practicing with Nago last night some dude who was like a Level 150 Nago with the "vs Nagoriyuki" badge showing kept following me around and challenging me but when I actually took one he hosed off.

That's a shame to hear. I've not played in the park because my Tower experience has been pretty positive. I'm usually on the 10th floor. It's getting to the point where I see familiar names and have casual rivals. I had a strange interaction where a player kept challenging and rematching me until he finally won a game after I knocked them down a floor once. There's also the very few players who disconnect just before losing.

Otherwise, the it's great.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

unimportantguy posted:

Y'know I'm kind of mad that the text box for your win quote isn't long enough for me to write "Thanks for visiting SeaWorld!"

But your profile liner can fit "Let's go to SeaWorld!"

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
The VIP wanted poster is overrated. People are way less willing to play even in the park where wins and losses mean nothing. I love my dolphins, but I want to be decent with a few other characters. It makes getting diverse experience with side characters harder than it should be.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
I found a safe jump for May I haven't seen before.
https://youtu.be/TK53zz2m-GQ

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

fortocero posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOEI39pxIDA

dropping a ragequit clip for the downtime. i could feel his palpable rage when i hit the parry at the end

Gotta love the ragequits!

I switched from Playstation to PC. I've never had a ragequit on Playstation, but I've had several on PC. Almost all of them were Chipp players against May in celestial. I assume it's because Alt+F4 is much faster than the Playstation button presses needed.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
Doesn't that apply to Leo and Ky, too?

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
I played someone brave enough to take on the Celestial challenge with Goldlewis. I applaud the player's tenacity.

Char posted:

I'm labbing random stuff - Dickinson has no blockstrings?? Not even 5P 5P or S H work. On the other hand, the H after S has <3 frames startup, I've tried with Chipp, it's a counterhit every time.
Basic 66RC stuff at the corner give more or less 210 damage to Pot and 310 to Chipp.
Weird character.

Only actual block string I could manage was in the corner S, low Behemoth. That was only 15 minutes, though.

J2DK fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 27, 2021

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Cleretic posted:

My immediate vibe on Goldlewis as an Axl player: He's probably the scariest matchup for Axl that's still generally in Axl's favor, because while it's fairly easy to keep him under control, he gets terrifying if he slips your grasp and gets to do some stuff.

Skyfish is also one of the few full-screen options capable of beating Rensengeki, thanks to having basically instantaneous travel. An Axl spamming Rensen will beat a Gold spamming Skyfish because of Skyfish's longer 'wind-down' animation, but Gold can whip out a Skyfish and use that to run in really well.

I main May and play Chipp on the side. I think Goldlewis is cool as gently caress. Figured he'd be my next side character, but he doesn't click with me. Oh well.

Where the hell is my shill money, ArcSys?

J2DK fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 28, 2021

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

porfiria posted:

Sorry to double post, but can anyone tell me off the top of their head why my throws always whiff whenever I knock somebody into the corner with my swords as Ram and then I run up to them? It looks like they're just crouch blocking but I keep getting the whiff animation. Am I just doing it too early?

Are they airborne? There's recovery on landing after blocking in the air, so they're throw invincible for a few extra frames.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
And Dizzy was six when they got married. Gears age and mature quickly. It's the opposite problem from the 1000 year old demon in a 13-year-old's body.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Giant slice super would have won you that round.

Pollyanna posted:

As you can see, it’s real easy to get hit out of.

And punishable on block from almost full screen for most of the cast.

Edit: v Yeah, that. Thanks. I keep forgetting that the animation isn't also a big rear end slice.

J2DK fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 29, 2021

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Cleretic posted:

I had a very weird, conflicted moment tonight when reflecting on learning that most of the popular characters in this game are some of the worst matchups for Axl. He dreads Gio, Ram, May, Sol (same as everyone else, but even if Sol weren't top-tier Axl'd be scared of him)... basically the only popular characters he wants to fight are Nago and Pot (and Goldlewis right now, I guess), and I feel like neither of those are popular on the same days.

My first thought was 'of loving course it works out that way, most matches I fight are bullshit'.
And then my second thought was 'wait, the deck's stacked against me and I'm still winning enough of those games to stay afloat at floor 8'.
And my third thought was 'wait I'm supposed to be hot garbage at fighting games, how am I on floor 8 in a hostile meta'.

And now I'm grappling with the weird realization that I'm apparently at least kinda good at this game. I'm not sure when or how that happened.

I find that Axl is one of the matches where May has to slow down a little and that's going to be a mental advantage over a lot of sub 10 Mays. I'm not sure how much of this applies to your tower level, but here are some things to consider from my matches against Axl in Celestial as May:

You need very few tools to beat autopilot dolphin spam Mays. 5P, j.S, j.H, rensen, air dash over them out of the corner, and the odd 2H or 5P for 3/4 screen up dolphin attempts.

Don't throw out command throw randomly against May. She can dash run, air dash over for a counterhit j.H on reaction from 3/4 screen. You might get away with it at full screen.

Don't do any rensen followups if she super jumps over rensen. She'll air dash over it and coming down with j. H.

Don't 5P if she's running at you. Her run low profiles 5P enough to run under and get a 3K (slide) knockdown with a safe jump follow up.

She can dash, super jump, then air dash from full screen and come down practically on top of your head with a big air normal. She can just barely crossup from 3/4 screen, so 2S in place is really risky. Most of the time a 2S hits me in this situation, it's either after Axl does a back dash or a cross under run. Don't 2S against super jump air dash when cornered. Go for the crossunder.

I think the round start heavily favors May. She can get a knockdown with 3K if you do anything grounded outside of crouching normals or down back. She can IAD j.H if you choose crouching normal or down back. Backdash gets hit by IAD j.H and S dolphin. Air dash back, jump forward, and double jump might get caught by H up dolphin. She gets a meaty ball setup after that. Mash throw if she whiffs round start S dolphin under a jump back, air Snail, or Rainwater. You'll both land in throw range. She'll land behind you in throw range if you pick neutral jump.

At 1/2 screen away, she can run forward, 3K under jump back j.S if you don't delay the j.S. She'll recover in time to be in your face when you land.

Don't waste your meter on reversal if May jumps at you after 5P, 5P, 3K, after 2P, 2P, 3K, or run under Axl stuff 3K. It's a safe jump and she wants you to waste your meter. Use your meter to keep yourself safe with RC when you whiff.

May has a lot of safe jumps, but I don't think you'll see most of them below floor 10 right now.

I tend to ramble. Is there anything specific about Axl v. May that you have trouble with?

J2DK fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 31, 2021

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Cleretic posted:

I will say that out of all those matchups, May feels the most 'fair'. It's never not a matchup in May's favor, and I feel like I have to change up my approach pretty hard to beat her, but unlike those other matchups there's never a time when fighting May that I felt like I couldn't beat her, just times when I didn't. She's a very honest and straightforward character in that way, dolphin mixup aside.

I think that another thing there is that while May is popular on the Oceania lobbies, she's not pervasive. I'll never fight three separate Mays in a row like I do with Sol, Ram or Gio, so I don't get thrown into the crucible of 'get good at counter-strategies or die' for her that's led to me being able to at least give a lot of Gio players runs for their money.

...May also tilts me pretty hard, between that sickly-sweet victory screen and the music. So that doesn't help.

The tilt is a powerful weapon. At Celestial level, I usually catch Axls cause they aren't used to dash jump, double jump, and super jump rotation. They're used to Mays just sending it with dolphin and air dash. Make sure you full punish any blocked slides, though. A lot of lower Mays don't realize 3K slide is really punishable since it's really minus on block and she just put herself right next to you. You'll have enough time to start with c.S.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
I find ragequits more frequent on PC than Playstation. I assume it's because Alt+F4 is way faster than putting either PS4 or 5 to close app, sleep, or power down.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
Boy oh boy is it a poo poo show right after the monthly resets. Celestial has a lot of people waiting around to fight specific matchups and ragequitting to preserve the celestial challenge count. They should make it a loss to the challenge upon disconnect. It was all smooth getting my VIP then all this crap kicked in.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
I got the game in July, so it's my first reset. You start on the Celestial win 5/6 games challenge at the rest and then probably get kicked out. I got lucky and got my VIP back immediately, but I imagine many are going to be kicking around in floor 10 for a week.

But holy crap is it stupid that people think it's so precious that they must not lose a single game a disconnect instead. Like bro, you'll get another chance at the challenge organically. It's not that serious.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

unimportantguy posted:

Yeah the floors are hosed. 1- 3 are from all accounts a complete ghost town and 8-10 are crammed full of a full range from "literally doesn't know how to play" up to "best in the world." Separating Celestial players out and barring them from floor 10 would be a start, but they really need to do something about filling out the lower floors. Maybe get rid of that dumb "can't go down more than two floors" rule for starters.

Please don't lock us out of 10. That limits our options for learning new characters to the park and celestial.

ex post facho posted:

just starting learning pot to go alongside Nago/Zato (I like unique playstyles I guess), can someone give me some general tips? I'm decent at spamming hammerfall constantly, but I need to learn some better combos that I can pull off regularly. why do I whiff my buster so much?

Hammerfall? The dashing punch? That's an easy punish on block when Pot has no meter. Gives lots of characters a free knockdown. From what I gather, Pot Buster is not Pot's number 1 goal. It's his "caught you slipping" or "conditioned you to down back" move. I didn't really start getting hit with it until Celestial floor, but I'm not a Pot player.

I usually get hosed by Garuda more than anything else. Corner Garuda loops are ridiculous, and apparently meaty Garuda BRC forward pot buster is guaranteed. That's something celestial Pot's have been destroying me with this past week. Meaty Garuda forces an incredibly strong meterless strike/throw mixup, too. Your opponent has to jump to escape a buster (I think it's a kara buster, but again I don't play him) and a low will catch jumps.

J2DK fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 1, 2021

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
Thanks for the corrections about Pot stuff. My bad. It's just the stuff that was killing me lately!

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
I finished my May arcade stick mod. It's a QANBA crystal with silenced buttons and a Sanwa high tension silent stick microswitch. I thought I would miss feeling the clicks, but I've been just as consistent or better with input motions.

Strive made me realize how old my parts are. I replaced the buttons in my old MvC2 TE1 stick, too. I had no idea it was so easy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

unimportantguy posted:

Speaking of watching videos of other players, man I feel dumb. I just realized from watching another May that you can RRC horizontal dolphin into 2H > Vertical Dolphin just out there in the center of the screen, like so:

https://i.imgur.com/tUqT01N.mp4

I'm sure there's probably a way better followup I could use there than 6H, too. Why this didn't occur to me until now I have no loving idea.

I hope you don't mind the late reply. I don't know what combos you know, so here's an info dump:

You can do pretty much any of May's normal combos after RRC. Microdash c.S, 2H instead to pop your opponent up higher. Dolphin is more likely to hit on the way up and give you more options

H up dolphin (hitting on the way up) can be followed up with 6H, S dolphin, air dash j.K -> j.D, or j.H. You can get more when starting midscreen and landing in the corner after j.H like 2H, H up dolphin, air dash j.H, 5k, 6H, S dolphin. The wall splat depends on the combo length and starting position. Sometimes it's after S dolphin, and sometimes it's after 6H. The stuff past j.H doesn't work if j.H hits OTG. It's really tight timing on heavy characters. The long combo only works on its own or after a raw horizontal dolphin RRC.

If dolphin hits on the way down, OTG 6H is pretty much all you get. You can replace 6H with a meaty ball lockdown setup instead of continuing a combo. You can also follow up with 6H, ball. It's not a real meaty, but it cuts off some movement options. You'll catch a lot of players wanting to immediately air dash at you asking for a counterhit 2H. Other players will run toward you or Stun Dipper at you which you can stuff with a 2S. Don't do 6H, ball if you're standing in reversal super/DP range.

If you're near the corner, you can do H horizontal dolphin instead of up dolphin. It wall bounces so you can get RRC, c.S, 2H, H dolphin, c.S, 2H, H dolphin. Wall splat might happen at any point during the second rep. Depends on the combo before the RC.

J2DK fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 6, 2021

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

40 lbs to freedom posted:

being a long set guy i haven't played on the actual floors in a long time. 10 today was a series of one and dones and actual mid fight rage quits. literally 3 people in a row lost 1 game to me and quit half way through match 2 after losing the first round. has this been a problem forever? might just stay in the park

I rarely get 1 and dones. I haven't had a ragequit in about a week. Bad luck, I guess.

unimportantguy posted:

This is weird. I guess the active frames of Chipp's super must start earlier than I think they do?

https://i.imgur.com/7tCJfGK.mp4

Edit: Here's the full match if anyone wants to watch it for context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BijnItqy8us

That's pretty normal. He can hit you earlier or later depending on your proximity to him and your height when he activated.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
Dustloop isn't 100% clear and accurate about every detail just yet due to Strive's age. Chipp's full frame data page has no entry for that overdrive's invulnerability. Hopefully someone with access and know-how will edit in the frame 3 info.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Cleretic posted:

There's a couple songs that could fit that bill. You might be thinking of Icarus, though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6w0MZlqfWU

I've gotten hate messages in this game exactly once, and it was because someone just really hated that I have Icarus as my fight music. So I will never change it.

The way I see it, you've gotta be wary of someone who looks at a soundtrack full of power metal and picks the ballad.

I've only had hate once, too. A Pot player called me retarded on the celestial floor. He said something else after, but I didn't bother going through the chat log to see it. It was between 2 sets that ended in a total score of 6-0. I usually wait for Potemkin to do something once I have the life lead these days. I lose whenever I over extend. The video below is just the replays. I accidentally deleted the initial interaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4j5KX5wkAc

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Glagha posted:

I have no idea why that Potemkin got mad at you, this is like... the most honest May play I've ever seen.

Maybe he was mad that I wasn't using the command throw and doing 6H instead of 2S or ball after normal throws. Maybe his insult meant that I should have beaten him more quickly. First games I played after checking out the DBFz patch for a while.

unimportantguy posted:

I've gotten... not good but okay at baiting reversal supers with an empty jump. When people see a May jumping at them they tend to mash out that super real quick without checking to see if I'm actually doing anything.

Have you learned any of the safe jump setups? Most people below 10 don't understand that safe jumps give you a counterhit on all non-invincible offensive actions while giving you time to block any reversal when you land. I know there's a mission in the tutorial, but most people don't remember that.

Easiest one is point blank 5p, 5p, 5p, 3K then immediately jump forward. Do j.HS low to the ground while holding down back.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Arzachel posted:

You have to do the j.H fairly early because using a move (or FD) makes you fall faster which you need to block the 7f reversals. Combo gravity scaling affects knockdowns so if you do 0-1 hits into 3K, you either up forward instantly for a safe OHK setup or stay crouching until May's anchor pops up above her head to time the safe jump.

Am I missing something here? I tested all the safe jump setups I know. They work on Sol's 7 frame reversal. 5p - 5px2 - and 5px3 all work as autotimed safe jumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2ziSeHgm2Y

J2DK fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 22, 2021

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

unimportantguy posted:

I definitely don't find Sol rare. Mays seem rarer, but as a May player myself, I imagine other Mays probably duck me a lot because the mirror match is really annoying.

I enjoy the May mirror. We should play some time.

unimportantguy posted:

I'm not sure how to feel about the May changes and expect I'll have to get hands on before I know how much I like 'em. Midscreen Overhead Kiss combos sound badass though.

Anji is the other character I play and the Anji changes sound loving great so at least there's that to get excited about.

I think the patch changes will leave May exactly in the same place in the meta. 2K, 2D still isn't guaranteed. 2S and f.S seem like they might be less disjointed, so we just have to think slightly harder about fishing with S normals. Overhead Kiss is even more attractive as an option now, and 5H is even better at counterhit fishing with its increased active frames, decreased recovery, and persisting disjointed hitbox.

J2DK fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 26, 2021

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Partial Octopus posted:

Just add MMR so people can play someone around their skill level. And make it so you can't see someones character until you accept.

For real. I picked up SFV a couple of weeks ago to play Akira and have been enjoying online ranked matchmaking set to "best connection only and ask to accept." Delay based netcode is usually not a problem with the best connections. Blind matchups would likely increase my opponent variety because a decent amount of people avoid certain characters. It's even worse for people with the Celestial challenge. Disconnects should be losses, too. Win % saving disconnects are annoying.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Real hurthling! posted:

Sfv has rollback but theres some syncing problems they refuse to fix

Really? Holy crap. I thought it was delay based on how frequently 4 and 5 rated connections would stutter. Thanks for the info.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
Jack-O has a silly safejump setup. It's just 2k, 2d, immediate quick summon, and jump. Jump forward, and you can get a crossup with low j.S or j.H. J.S can also be jump canceled for another crossup attempt before hitting the ground.

And it's an autotimed safejump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jFu7J2XBI8

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I’ve never been into a Jack O type character before but I’m extremely interested especially after Goldlewis ended up being… not the greatest

Is there anywhere to start? A lot of my strive knowledge for the characters comes from other games but I never played the version of Xrd with Jack O

Maybe familiarize yourself with her normals and commands. Get used to her quick and hold summons. Get used to her cancels because she can cancel most normals into 236K and she can cancel 236k into all of her other specials. Mess with some simple combos or try some of the stuff below and then jump into a few Jack-O mirrors. That might help you kind of get the idea of Jack-O before going back to the lab.

2k, 2d is the easiest way to setup a servant point blank, and it gives you a safejump that crosses up sometimes.

2D is unsafe on block unless you have meter. Canceling 2D into 236K is a decent frame trap, but watch out for reversals.

Staggering between c.S, f.S, and 5H/2H can create frame traps.

C.S and j.S can be jump canceled.

2S is pretty exclusively anti-air. The hitbox doesn't go forward.

Jack-O's combos are weak without meter or servants already out.

My dust combo is j. HS 2 hits, j.K, double jump j.HS 2 hits, j.K, j.S S.

Some conversions are tricky. Like some wall bounces can only be followed up with RC or 236K, 236P(hold), K. That's her servant attacking your opponent after the wall bounce while still in her hands. Like all the way in the corner: c.S, 2H, 236K, 236P(hold), K, RRC, c.S, 2H, 236K (wall splat). Alternate route for the same damage: c.S, 2H, 236P (hold), BRC, c.S, 2H, 236 k, 214K (wall splat). These are only good for punishes because they don't work after jump ins.

Then there's almost in the corner - opponent about half screen. C.S, 2H, 236K, 236P, 236K, 214K, 236K (wall splat), 214K. It's her servant kick canceled into quick summon, then servant kick hitting both the servant and the opponent for a second wall bounce, the servant attack command, canceled into kicking the servant into the opponent for the wall splat. Or this works, too: c.S, 2H, 236K, 236P, 214K, 236K, 214K (wall splat).

Her distance from the corner is annoyingly important.

It's only day 1 of course, but it seems like go for knockdown to setup servants, or end combos in 6H to create space for servant summons. One setup I like is 2k, 2d, 236p, crossup safe jump, j.S, c.S, 5H, 214k, c.S, 6H, 236P (hold). Then throw servant. If it's blocked, don't hold 236P at the end. You can do c.S, f.S, 5H, 236P instead of 6H, too.

J.D is a slow fireball. It's useful for pushing servants from the air and decent for screen coverage. It leaves you pretty open like Stun Edge and Shuriken, though.

I'm not a fighting game genius and tend to ramble, so I hope some of this is actually useful.

J2DK fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 28, 2021

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

That’s extremely useful actually thanks. I got some matches in with other low level Jack-O and at that point it’s mostly learning the spacing of normals and what works when so seeing stuff like your post helps me understand the actual strategy behind what I should be going for

I posted it earlier, but here's that crossup safejump I mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jFu7J2XBI8.

And here's some new patch May tech for you May mains.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16YM54gsTdU

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Arzachel posted:

You're honestly better off regular throwing midscreen, the situation after is better and it's barely less damage

I think they both have their merits. Overhead kiss 2H/2S, [4]6S RC and normal throw PRC drift combos do similar damage, but Overhead kiss has more corner carry so you can get a wall splat from farther away and corner your opponent from being cornered. There's more, but the rest of my thoughts are already in that short video I linked.

I finally recorded all of my useful May RC setups. I have a few others, but they ALWAYS get blocked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z24x-zgqPPU

J2DK fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 28, 2021

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
Oh for sure. I usually have to condition my opponent with a couple of normal throw safe jumps before going for the other stuff. I explained myself badly. I agree with your thoughts on Overhead Kiss being more niche than normal throw.

I wonder if they'll try to buff it further since normal throw will still be what I use more often.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

That’s extremely useful actually thanks. I got some matches in with other low level Jack-O and at that point it’s mostly learning the spacing of normals and what works when so seeing stuff like your post helps me understand the actual strategy behind what I should be going for

Cool! Glad something I posted is actually useful. Here's where I'm at with Jack-O regarding combos and some general strategy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-D25Ed--5U
I just changed the link. I had to reupload it. Parts of it are still broken, but whatever. It suddenly gets loud from 3:53 to 4:09. I think I should restart my computer before I render videos next time.

Sorry for the double post.

J2DK fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 29, 2021

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
I found a better and more practical Jack-O meterless corner route after I made the video I linked earlier.

c.S, 2H, 236K, 236P (hold), K (held servant attack), D (drop servant), 5H, 236K, 214K, 632146P or whatever because wall splat.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I need more advice against Chipp. Nothing loving works. Knocking him out of the air with j.D has no followups, he just comes right back in and I can't find any gaps in anything he does whatsoever. I've looked on youtube for matchup videos but there's pretty much nothing that explains what you're supposed to do. Dustloop has nothing either. Help?

You're basically kind of stuck in his 4-5 way blender any time he takes his turn.

There's a fuzzy guard technique specific to Chipp when you get knocked down. It defends anything except normal throw. As you are waking up, tap FD and hold 3 to block the low and push him out. After a split second, rotate up through 4789. This blocks 6K, then jumps you back out of grounded alpha blade and command throw, then it ends with 9 to block air alpha.

Jumping out of his mix is often the best way for most characters without a good DP/reversal.

You can try to always be on the lookout for P alpha and command throw startup to mash if the above doesn't work for you.

Chipps that often just run forward with f.S or 2S over and over again can get caught with jump back buttons or IAD back buttons.

The rekka is minus, so you can take your turn back if you sniff out his plans. The first hit is -4, the low is -6, and the overhead is so - you get a full punish on block. Best defense against rekka pressure is hold 1 until you see the overhead animation start. It's really slow.

Keep in mind that most online Chipps are looking for you to do basically anything unsafe including backdash so they can hit you with his maximum spider when they have meter. Chipp can even RC after the super and carry you to a wall splat if he has 100% tension.

It's pretty hard. I had so much trouble with him that I learned him to fight him better. J.2K can be air thrown more easily now, too. Might want to record a dummy that does j.2K a bunch in training to find your character's best anti-j.2K strategies.

J2DK fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 29, 2021

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Uhh, I have no clue how to interpret these numbers. Like I know number notation, of course. But 3 is crouch forwards? And you want me to block with forward in the air? And "rotate up through 4789", none of which are near 3?

Anyway, a big problem is that even when I get out of the blender, there's nothing I can do because all my moves are slower than his and the pressure starts instantly again. Like I can't even get a jab out without getting countered, let alone the pokes I actually want to use which are massively minus on block. Getting out is not enough if I can't also get in again. I don't see the overhead so much as command grabs and I cannot react to any of his poo poo. He just disappears and I have no idea if that's alpha blade, or a grab, or whatever.

I have less trouble with his j.2K, to be honest. It's not too hard to fukyo out and 2H it, heck even c.S works. It's everything else he does. I just can't take a turn at all if he doesn't stumble for some reason and even then it's just one block away from me being in the blender again. Even 5K gets stuffed!

My bad. I meant hold 1 instead of 3. Sorry about that. His mix is so hosed up that we specifically do this only against Chipp lol. So FD1, then 4789.

Maybe pre-emptice screen control with your big H normals and try challenging after low rekka, after alpha blade ground, and command throw. Chipp might actually get less nutty if you manage to jump an alpha or command grab and punish or stuff ground alpha with c.S, punch, or throw.

I think Chipp bullies Nago kind of free until Nago has level 3 blood. Sorry. I don't have much about that matchup as tips for Nago.

Sorry about all my Jack-O posts, but I gotta share that my RC ping pong combo isn't universal. Here's what I found for anyone looking at Jack-O.

Midscreen on everyone, but inconsistent on Leo: c.S, 2H, 236K RRC forward, 236P, 5K, 6H, 214K, 214K, 6H/214k

Alternate route for a little more damage:
Midscreen on May*, Axl*, Zato*, Ram*, Goldlewis*, Leo*(more consistent than other combo), Jack-O*, and Gio*. Inconsistent on Ky and Pot c.S, 2H, 236K rrc forward, 236P, c.S, 214K, microdash c.S, 2H, 214K, (microdash c.S), 6H

J2DK fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 29, 2021

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Jack Trades posted:

Learned a couple of setups with Jack-O so that people can not just mash DP on me for free so now she's really fun. Some of her buttons are very good.
Still don't know any combos besides "alternate buttons and minion attacks" but somehow keep winning. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXNFRWTBF-g
I just posted a video in case it's different from what you have. I only recorded the corner setup, but it's a good option/select. In depth explanation in the description.

If it's different from yours, would you mind sharing yours?

J2DK fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 15, 2021

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Jack Trades posted:

Hmm, that setup looks like they can wait and 6p you but if I'm wrong then it'd be useful to know.

Right now I'm just doing throw - 236p - cS to punt the boi and block. It hits them meaty and you end up blocking reversals.

You're right. I did a different one that's 236P > 5K* > 8 jump cancel > air 214S > j.P > 3P > 214K. It still leaves a couple of frames open to invincible reversals just as the forcefield disappears, though. I only ended up finding it useful for hard reads. I usually either do what you described or do meaty servant hit > 214S from a safe distance when they have no meter.

I sometimes make things far more complicated than they need to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

unimportantguy posted:

I'm still trying to find a balance for combos between what's optimal, what I find easy to execute, and what's fun to me, and I was messing with this combo:

https://i.imgur.com/hHm65s2.mp4
(cS > 2H > [4]6H > cS > 2H > [2]8H > WS > 6H)

I find this combo both easier and more fun to do than the Dustloop recommended meterless corner combo of cS > 2H > [4]6H > 5H > 5H > [4]6H > WS > 6H, and it does similar damage (249 on Ky for my combo vs. a claimed 245 on Ky for the dustloop combo), but I noticed something kind of funky.

* I tried ending the combo with The Wonderful and Dynamic Goshogawara instead of 6H to try to add on damage, and it really didn't. I only saw maybe 5 points of damage difference.
* I tried charging the 6H at the end, again hoping to add on some more damage, and charging the 6H for a moment actually resulted in about 15 total less damage at the end.

What am I running into here? Is there some kind of additional damage proration going on in the fraction of a second longer it took me to do those inputs?

I don't know exactly why your damage numbers are the way they are. Were you practicing against different RISC levels, different characters, or different starting HP? The main reason to wall break with super is the oki after. There's enough time for an autotimed IAD safe jump, run up Overhead Kiss, or whatever shenanigans you like out of hard knock down.

Dustloop's recommended combo of 5H, 5H has tight timing and very little reward over other, easier corner routes. I only use 5H, 5H if I want to keep the corner and try for one more mixup before the wall break with something like c.S > 2H > [2]8H > 5H > [4]6H > 5H > 5H.

Other options for similar damage and difficulty, but different opportunities for enders are as follows:

c.S > 2H > [2]8H > 5H > [4]6H > 5H > [4]6H (WS) > 6H or 632146H
c.S > 2H > [4]6H > 5H > [4]6H > 5H > [4]6H (WS) > 6H or 632146H
c.S > 2H > [2]8H > 5H > [4]6H > c.S or 2S > 2H (WS) >6H or 236236S
c.S > 2H > [4]6H > 5H > [4]6H > c.S or 2S > 2H (WS) > 6H or 236236S

I'm pretty sure your route, the 5H >5H route, and all of these routes up to the wall splat all do between 203 and 208 damage to Ky. 236236S is her highest damaging wall break, but following a dolphin with it is tricky. Way easier to get it from a wall splat normal.

Did anyone else not know that air FD blocking makes you fall faster? Apparently, air FD blocking Axl's upward rensen follow up is enough to take away his advantage and get a normal throw.
Thanks, Rooflemonger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhoiNyVcfAs.

J2DK fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 18, 2021