Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FallenGod posted:

Game is gorgeous from what I've seen in training mode but man do I not understand how moves combo in this. Only a few preset moves seemed to flow in to each other so I guess that's all you get when you don't have roman cancel / corner splat available?

Feels really weird, but I haven't played the Guilty Gear before so :shrug: I'd probably need access to the full tutorial mode to break things down.

Older GG games imo felt very free form, you could figure out combos on your own with a bit of training mode. From what I’ve seen (haven’t gotten into beta yet) combos are a bit shorter in this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh wow when you actually manage to get into matches this is the best fighting game netcode I have ever seen

The lobby system seems dumb and kinda glitchy though

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also I cannot overstate how much I am fully entirely into the entire aesthetic of this game

The eagle flying in as HUMANITY IS DOOMED blah blah and heaven or hell is accompanied by extremely detailed entry animations. So good

Also can’t tell if all characters feel like this but with the damage buffs (?) Potemkin can end a match in what feels like 5 seconds

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mode 7 posted:

Played a little bit. Axl seems really cool and I've been having fun flailing like an idiot to poke people at range, I have 0% idea of what I'm doing.
The netcode has been great so far, hoping this has a good scene in Australia so that I can finally get the magical trio of "fighting game I like, that everyone else seems to like too, that also has rollback".

Yeah honestly the beta 100% sold me on this day one. I love GG games but COVID means it’s very hard to play in person and the net code was so good. And they have a Middle East server!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

WHAT HOLY poo poo

HOLY poo poo WE HAVE TO GET THE ARAB FGC GANG TOGETHER FINALLY

A BIG AAA FIGHTING GAME WITH ROLLBACK AND A SERVER FOR THIS GODFORSAKEN REGION?!

prayers finally answered lol

I used to play a bunch of Blazblue with people in Kuwait on a now dead gaming forum, but I pretty much could ONLY play with them and there was still a bit of lag. We would all get together in a lobby and spectate one another and there was pretty much no other option.

The combination of actual server, insanely good netcode, and the fact that at least here they widely rolled out 5G (which is faster than many landline connections...) means this might finally be the point where playing these games primarily online becomes a real option.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Is Pot's 6K - Hammerfall still a thing in Strive? That being mandatory and a real pain in the rear end to do was the main reason why I stopped playing Pot in Xrd.

Pot has some decent options it feels like and also he's so stupid strong lol

2K > 2D > Mega fist comboes now

Mega fist counter combos into itself

Mega fist combos after slide hit knockdown if you're close enough

FDB (the flick) is so strong now.

He can combo Garuda Impact (the new flamethrower) into a Pot buster but I've never actually pulled it off

S,S,H, Hammerfall does not always combo but do it a couple of times then do hammerfall break and throw them :devil:

exquisite tea posted:

I think I'll still end up getting this on PC because even though the wifi is surprisingly good on PS4, the load times while swapping between Training + Quick Match are still long enough to annoy me. I also refuse to give Sony money to use the internet I already pay for!! And I wanna see that beautiful animation in glorious 1440p. Hopefully there will be a big enough playerbase so that I don't get completely waxed on Day 1.

Change training mode to use "Last Environment" or something like that and it will be practically 0 load times going into training. BUT I have a lot of failed matches out of training mode for some reason.

Al-Saqr posted:

When the time comes DM me your fightername and lets add each other on whatever friendlist is used for the game.

Yeah for sure, there are some GCC gaming discords I used to follow I'll try to check in on and share those if they end up having GG rooms

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m having loads of fun personally but also I still play Potemkin

Also, when fighting I No, Potemkin can blindly flick away and half her moves can be reflected or clashed with

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lobbies are weird but the actual online continues to be amazing.

I wish there was a character specific mission mode, I’m mainly playing Potemkin so the combos are easy to remember but I wanna try some others and it’s hard to know where to start

Thoom posted:

But when I do get to play, I'm having fun and learning things, like "when Ky is being a projectile spamming jerk, Potemkin can belly flop and make him suffer".

Potemkin’s Flick attack reflects projectiles. Kinda strict timing but I use it on spammy Kys a lot

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh also when you unlock old songs from fishing can you actually use them in matches? The strive soundtrack is good but those XX songs were really nostalgic

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Roach Warehouse posted:

Ooooh boy, I am not good at this game. Could only beat normal difficulty arcade mode when axl showed up to help me fight nagoriyuki.

I’m gonna try and get my head around Giovanna for now, I reckon.

I got to extreme Nagoriyuki and he's just absolutely stupid. SNK Boss design character. Supposedly has the health bar of 3 characters put together, all the character's actual weaknesses are removed. I think I got a single round on him once and it involved multiple Potemkin Busters. I know there is a trophy for doing it on Extreme but I think if I did playthroughs with other characters I would intentionally make sure I don't get to that difficulty.

Booyah- posted:

yeah, on the char select screen you can press the start button to change your stage and music choice

only tracks that were originally in-game bgm work though, no story mode music during a fight unfortunately

Awesome thanks

Every XX song is the best XX song, it's so hard to choose one. I got lucky and got this right away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9khT_IUXUk&t=979s

bobby2times posted:

Anyone have tips on getting in onto opponents with Giovanna? This is my first fighting game so I'm getting blown up online, though I managed to win 1 set out of 6 (Why in the world did I start out on floor 6 where dudes are doing full screen combos on my rear end?).

That is super weird, does the game let you go to lower floors if you don't do well? I started on 6 and I perfected the tutorial fight I dunno how they determine it. There is a "ranking free" mode in the Park though right? If you press R1 instead of going to your floor. It doesn't affect rankings so I think it's meant to be like, practice another character or learn the game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I am listening to the full OST of Strive on youtube while I do some work and this is like, legitimately a good heavy metal album. You never hear the full version of some of these in fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fpUoY-L3Co

jvilmi posted:

Picked this up as an ftg noob and having fun with Potemkin, what the hell can you even do against Axl tho lol

Sucked at the tutorial, game put me on floor 8. Only took losing a couple of hilariously lopsided matches until I got demoted to 4 which seems about right, ended up playing a bunch of very even sets of three there.

A lot of Potemkin's options are "Block until they mess up" against certain characters. But a lot of Axl's gameplan has him grounded

-Slide head (QCF S) will knock him down full screen if he's grounded and trying to do his pokes and can absorb some hits while doing so
-Hammerfall (Charge back, forward HS) absorbs one hit while rushing forward which is great because Axl is not a very quick attacker
-HCB S (the flick) reflects projectiles but I'm 90% sure it does not work on anything Axl has (very useful on a Ky trying to keep distance)
-Instant Blocks are good once you get better at the game - if you block at just the right time, you can react faster; if an opponent is pressuring you with predictable combos then learning when to IB and break out is one of Pot's best options.

But yeah some characters have a very specific gameplan in certain matchups, a good Axl will do absolutely anything they can to stay away from Potemkin.

Potemkin's design across games is weird because he does SO much damage at such range that they sometimes try to be a bit cautious with giving him too many tools to deal with things. I want to say in either GG or Blazblue Potemkin/his BB equivalent had 9:1 matchups

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

As a Potemkin main since XX I am drawn to Nago because he cannot dash and has giant buttons that cover half the screen. ALso my secondary was always Slayer and he's also a vampire (Although he plays nothing like Slayer)

I do wanna start learning another character but also what if they announce a cool new DLC character I wanna learn instead

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Actually, as someone who does know Slayer, are there references in Nago's animations to him or am I imagining things? I saw Nago has a defeat animation where he props his head up on his hand and looks up at you, which I want to say is a Slayer thing, either literally or in spirit.

His command grab is literally Slayer's! Same animation and everything.

guppy posted:

I fought my way back up to floor 5. I've been trying out Potemkin. I have only managed to land one Potemkin Buster, often accidentally doing 6P instead. I don't love not being able to dash, but his reach is so good and when he does connect he hits like a truck. I have never seen another Potemkin down at my level so people don't really know what to do with him. I had one clown start to match, see I was Potemkin, and back out to change to Chipp and re-matched, thinking he was going to body me and I pushed his poo poo in, which was very satisfying.

Potemkin's specials are all really similar and I can never remember them. I still cannot for the life of me internalize that ground-to-air grab but he has lots of other options to punish jumpers. I like how you can delay the flick so people think they can stop blocking.

How do you save replays? I keep seeing it say that it saved the replay of the last match, but when I go to Replay Theater it says there aren't any. (EDIT: Oh, I backed out and there they are. Is there any way to share replays?)

I have been playing GG for a while and I still have issues with the Half circle back > Forward motion. When I really have to pull it out I can but I also have a much easier time doing it from the left side.

The air grab in many games is more useful for combos than it is for just straight up grabbing people out of the air. You usually have much quicker and safer options to knock people out of the air (6P in a lot of games, have not played enough Strive to see)

Chipp literally dies in 2 Pot combos I don't know why this person thought he was doing a big own

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOg2wh9U-sg

Speaking of Potemkin this shouldn’t have worked but after several full matches of TOTSUGEKIIIII throwing me all the way across the stage into the corner felt good

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I tried a bit of ramlethal and watched some matches and is she much easier to pick up than I assumed? Giant swords cover half the screen your combos are like 3 bits long, you just need to mainly keep track of the swords

I didn’t play a huge amount of Xrd but I remember considering her a difficult character. She’s kinda fun I want to learn her

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I play Potemkin so I hear it a lot but

Discooooord
Presiiiiides
Society
Society

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

https://twitter.com/HiFightTH/status/1407870997865263105

Command grab loses to backdash -> Dash RC -> Command grab. Take notes

This is beautiful. I’m still not very good at dash RC I should map dash to a button

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

b_d posted:

backdashes are pretty vulnerable in this game, i think a lot of them might get caught anyway? at least potemkin's changed from invul for all but the last frame to only invul for about half

This explains a lot. I’m so used to backdash pot busters from accent core. But I’m also used to pot being top tier from accent core lol

I still really enjoy him in this. Lots of stuff is just different. Megafist is used in combos, you can do sweep > megafist as a combo and as a low high mixup if they block I think which is kinda crazy. 6K and all the stuff it allows seems really good. You can straight combo into the flamethrower stuff and catch people off guard. I dunno if he’s GOOD but he is definitely fun and I keep wanting to play more of him

Also in a game with already high damage it’s just hilarious to end matches in 10 seconds if you get in quick

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Madmarker posted:

Potemkin WAS a hard sell for me initially because he didn't use an SPD motion for his command grab. (I know you can do it in Strive now, but I am talking about XRD)

You can? I tried and couldn’t get it (easier to mash out a 360 sometimes)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

I perfected some gio with anji in a most disrespectful manner tonight

I dunno what it is about Anji but I'll be wrecking him with Pot, he'll make 2 right guesses and then I'm suddenly flustered and making dumb mistakes until I die. I do really like playing mixup characters myself in other games, I am very rarely on the other side

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

slev posted:

Outside of the matches themselves, everything about the online in this game is a disaster and is already making me play way less.

Honestly when it works I don't mind the lobby system. The floors seem to be set up in a way that gives me really good matches, everyone does 3 rematches then moves on so you learn the opponent but still get some variety, and again the netcode is ridiculously good (I'm playing with people in Europe from the Middle East and I can barely tell - the Middle East server is usually dead)

Getting random can't connect errors sucks though

In Training posted:

I like playing this game but don't launch it anymore bc of how long it takes to load. They should fix that

The weirder thing is if you leave the game in suspend mode doing Training or something you jump back in extremely quick. And then going from there to online still has to connect but it feels way quicker than the initial connect that takes forever

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I don’t understand Chip and got wrecked by a very good one as Potemkin after most of them usually just dying immediately.

How do you actually get out of his command grab? I saw I could 6P on reaction but if you guess wrong he’s hitting you with something else

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

dhamster posted:

Negative edge inputs are performed by releasing the button. This is how the shadow Eddie is controlled.

You can try jumping out, but 6P is a good answer.

He was doing loads of mixups - did not realize jumping blocks work. That’s probably a good answer as Pot. Thanks!

Meanwhile Pot continues to be the most fun grappler in existence across any game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Training mode is like the only way to play on the p1 side cause if you try and find a tower match manually everyone is already posted up on the p1 side of every battle station. Its weird.

Tangentially I wish i could matchmake in a global pool of players

Ohhhh is that way. I really prefer 1P and am getting used to being on 2P side. It's not a huge difference, just the potemkin buster motion I find 100% more consistent from P1

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

wologar posted:

I tried out Chipp and lord almighty is he made of paper. I went like 2-10. Thankfully you can't drop floors from floor 1.

I think Millia from what I've seen also dies super quickly but if you're on the receiving end of a rushdown from either one of them it can be really overwhelming especially with multiple incorrect guesses on blocking the right way

RevolverDivider posted:

“Huh why is this floor 10 Potemkin eating a counterhit every time he wakes up or after I block anything slightly negative.”
I then watch the replay and see that literally anytime he’s in hitstun waking up or blocking he is mashing out Pot Busters as fast as humanly possible

...And then you do this because you think WELL THIS MIGHT WORK

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Thanks guys, I'll try to internalize this. The character I prefer doesn't have an air dash and I'm still trying to get used to the high jump, but I'll get there eventually I'm sure.

Which character is it? Potemkin and Nago don't have air dashes but they have some different defensive options the others don't too

Edit: I just saw you answered right above me; I was going to say the exact same thing with Potemkin. Backwards Megafist catches out so much stupid corner lock rushdown stuff from guys like Sol

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 29, 2021

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Potemkin mirror is the stupidest thing in this game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lots of mega fisting ;);)

Also I’m 90% sure there are Better things to use your meter for after a pot buster but did you know you can dash cancel RC even though Potemkin can’t dash? It lets you carry them to the wall for wall breaks

https://youtu.be/MPefngl9MXs

(I lost like 4 sets to this guy)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I tell people I'm "Floor 10" but actually I keep getting pushed down to 9 whenever I make it to 10 lol

Edit: I'm actually very happy with Floor 9. I used to mostly play XX on ps2, played a bit of Blazblue at first but quickly dropped off and I more or less skipped all of Xrd. I think this game sold enough that "Played XX 10 years ago" puts you at the upper end of players a bit

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 1, 2021

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

JBP posted:

It feels good getting belted by someone's gimmick but going 1-2, then fighting again and going 2-1, then finishing them with 3-0 and knowing you have an enormous brain that can learn.

this is what I like most about the ranked being a series of 3 matches (That almost everyone rematches all the way on). Like by the end of a long set

1. the netcode is good enough you feel like you're playing locally, instead of relying on online-only laggy tactics
2. You start learning your opponent as soon as game 3. I had SO much fun figuring this out in ranked on the round start stuff; Start with a sweep, next match they "counter" your sweep with something, match after that you anticipate their counter and do something else. So fun to learn the other person and I feel like I'm getting better at the actual game, not better at abusing the one thing that wins online matches

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Skypie posted:

I went 5-1 against an Axl the other day as Gio, and I felt bad cuz one match he was demoralized so bad that I perfected him and ended a round on a full charge Dust homing jump combo

It's definitely a wild matchup but I feel once I get into mid range, he's got fewer tools to space me out and I can start pressuring. At long range I'm mostly just hoping he chucks that ranged command grab move so I can air dash in

Sometimes the best way to get out of the corner and regain you rmomentum is the round ending :v:

The way matches can go in this game is crazy, I've never had a fighting game where in a set both opponents can be well matched, but still get a perfect and totally demoralize the other

It's also funny to see the reaction to an opponent winning an entire match and then losing at the last minute to a Potemkin Buster. They play much better in the followup like they're trying to prove that you only won because they let up for a bit

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

BurningBeard posted:

Finally took this online last night. I can beat people with Leo that are really, really bad, but the minute someone gets a good offense going I’m smoked.

What’s a good go-to for getting out of the corner as Leo? I can’t ever seem to jab out, 2K will sometimes interrupt people’s braindead offense but I don’t know what I should be doing to follow it up. I know YRC and FD exist, but I’m an idiot and don’t utilize them? What are other decent options? Leo is sooo slow if he’s not in back turned stance.

It’s Milia and Gio that are blendering me the worst, fwiw.

I don't play Leo but when I'm against one I always have to be conscious that he has his flash kick motion+S I think? that will get me off him quick. If they back up expecting it and you miss it's an absolute disaster but it's a good "go away" tool to at least get out, plus if they block you can RC to avoid a punish at least.

Control Volume posted:

The more I play and watch, the more Im realizing that matches are measured more in 2-3 mistakes than health, so mindgames are vastly more important to winning, and even the most basic player can take a round off a good player with a few good reads. It makes even a limited gameplan feel viable if you time and space your moves right, and most importantly it lets you pretend you can theoretically compete with the best even when they 3-0 you.

Yes! Between the netcode being very good and mindgames being so important this has been the most fun I've ever had in a fighting game - GG XX is absolutely great don't get me wrong but having to spend hours in training to compete with your character and learn your 1 frame Roman Cancel combos means that you could understand your opponent better as a player but the execution gap would be wide enough that you'd never compete with the best Eddie/ZATO. I also played it in college with people WAY better than me, having decent online matchmaking goes a long way to making a game easier to pick up for newbies (Imagine any new player going straight up against Floor 10 - you can learn, but it's demoralizing). Like I got better as a Potemkin player just going up the ranks - at rank 5 I literally jumped straight in not knowing any combos or setups and trying his XX stuff and as the opponents got harder I started getting better with them.

But back to the mindgames; 2-3 good reads can absolutely end an opponent from full health. You're never really safe, I have so many matches where I just think "Well I guess this is the only chance" and I go for a stupid mixup twice - by the second one you're really getting in your opponent's head and they start panicking and you can end the match while they struggle to regain control of the match. I play a lot of fighting games but Strive is the first one where you can see it happening to the opponent without being in the same room as them.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also here's an XX combo video I just found with nightwish in the background if you're new to the series but want to feel like it's 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D1iTNqq1-Y

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

poe meater posted:

Play in the Park. You can swap to the park on the floor select screen. It's also infinite rematch. I ran into plenty of people willing to go first to ten regardless of the win/loss record.

I wish the park allowed for character switching. Sometimes you get into a match with someone that's REALLY not very good and I'd like to play against them with a character I'm not good at instead of rematching 6 times in a row and destroying them

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I was in Park and a lower floor Potemkin challenged me and we played like… 13 matches in a row. It was really cool to see when I would do something like Hammerfall RC into pot buster he’d start using it against me, the first time I got a 2H Heavenly pot buster he kept trying for it the following match. Felt like a professor of Potemkin

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sometimes when Eddie when he comes out I just sit there blocking his insane 2 person combos until he goes away

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

unimportantguy posted:

Ooof I spent an hour in the park this evening seeing if I could learn Nagoriyuki and I think all I learned is I should stick to May. I dunno how you Nago mains do it. He's so goddamn slow. To use a Street Fighter analogy it feels like I'm playing World Warrior and everyone else is playing Super Turbo.

Potemkin is similar where you're playing a different game to everyone else, but remember that they give those characters ridiculous tools to get around that. Both Pot and Nago have normal attacks that go further than actual projectiles do, both can do ridiculous burst damage at very short notice. But if you're used to airdashing in and keeping up oppressive pressure it's definitely a different type of playstyle yes

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

b_d posted:

does anybody actually want to play baiken or just look at her.

My Youtube algorithm has now decided I only want to look at GG Videos and there was a video that was like yeah, she's super popular, yeah, everyone buys her, but she's one of the least popular characters in playrate

I always liked her gimmick but it seems really difficult to balance around. Wasn't she kinda busted in AC?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Rooflemonger did a video covering the Baiken-likes in major fighting games: the 'hot lady' characters who are also SUPER hard to use to the point where a lot of the people who clamor for them never use her. You might be thinking of this one; if you're not, it'll introduce you to a couple more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVS6IDDkfZ8

Baiken isn't as complicated as the other characters he brings up; as opposed to Juri's negative edge mechanics, or Angel having combos that would work as nuclear launch codes, Baiken's just a defensive powerhouse. She's not that complex, she's just in no way the sort of playstyle that someone reacting to purely aesthetic appeal would want to play.

It was! I like Rooflemonger I've subbed to him since Strive came out, really informative videos

Glagha posted:

Nah, she was never busted. In vanilla AC she was very middle of the road tier if I remember right, and in +R I think she was top tier but still not the best. I am firmly in the category of people who actually like Baiken gameplay. She was my secondary character back in AC before the "upgrades" because she's cool as heck. I never got into Xrd Baiken that much because I didn't play much Xrd in general and the changes to her counters, while they made sense, made her less fun for me. That being said I think Xrd Baiken's whole style is incredible and the absurd boob jiggle walk is A Thing but the swagger on that animation is hard not to love.

Edit: Also I would contend that Baiken is actually a pretty difficult character to play but definitely not on the tier of the others in that video. She's not really a "defensive powerhouse" though because she's made of paper, but she does make people scared to attack her which gives her openings against predictable offense. Beginners have a hard time capitalizing off her counters because unlike other fighting game counters, hers aren't guaranteed to hit if they're activated. She has a bunch of different ones that all work best against different attacks which can get super confusing, and can be punishable if done at the wrong time.

I always loved the block/counter gimmick (For new players; Baiken is the only character that can do special moves straight out of block, she can basically parry) but I always found her OTHER stuff hard to do. She has really weird movement and combos with the tatami mat needing to be super close to the ground and followed up with airdashes and all that was too much for me, the Potemkin player (Slayer was my secondary in XX though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpaMNRbisgE

This is the best Potemkin in the world btw

I literally laughed out loud at the ending of the clip where he misses Pot buster, RCs, and does it again anyway

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 13, 2021