Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My apologies for the late rental post, it'll be up hopefully by midnight tonight. Today's been a day.

*BARF*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Why do I always find these threads after one of my childhood favourites has been played? I fuckin' love Starfox! Altered Beast and Golden Axe in the same week?! Bollocks! :argh:

All the same, might as well have a quick shout about River City Ransom and Double Dragon II.

My experience with both was mainly on the NES (by which I mean I also played DD2 in an arcade for all of five minutes). I never really got into RCR all that much. Admittedly it's been forever and a day since I last tried it but something about the game just didn't click with me. Maybe I'll give it another go one day, but I've missed an easy opportunity now :v:

DD2 on the other hand was too easy to get into, but the control is infuriatingly unintuitive and I'd constantly find myself absent-mindedly swatting the air when trying to jump, or start back-kicking nothing when I actually wanted to punch the bastard in front of me. This is what makes the game difficult. In other words, the control method is frankly crap, which is why it's not been seen in anything else since (at least nothing I can think of right now).

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My apologies for the late rental post, it'll be up hopefully by midnight tonight. Today's been a day.

*BARF*

Hang in there buddy. Just don't go and charge us late fees.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Why do I always find these threads after one of my childhood favourites has been played? I fuckin' love Starfox! Altered Beast and Golden Axe in the same week?! Bollocks! :argh:

All the same, might as well have a quick shout about River City Ransom and Double Dragon II.

Feel free to take them on and post your insights. Starfox was super fun. I finally get why everyone laments the "re-inventions" of the game. They're all incredibly superfluous. It's not a long game, but it's varied. Just a good quick on rails shooter. How hard can that be?

Beat 'em ups are a weird genre for me. They're fun, but they're so much better in local multiplayer. I don't know if I would really play these a lot on my own. I did beat RCR on the GBA, but replaying them now just made the whole thing feel repetitive. That said the soundtrack is Double Dragon II is pretty good.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

. This is what makes the game difficult.

You have trouble with “button on right attacks to the right, button on left attacks to the left”?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

You have trouble with “button on right attacks to the right, button on left attacks to the left”?

It's not intuitive. Even when I thought I had figured it out, decades of muscle memory would seek one out for a punch or kick even if those moves are directional not buttons.

Rewind helps with any small missteps like that, but it's not a natural way of doing things.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, bit of an emergency, so I'm going to say that these games get another week. As always, feel free to do any sort of deep dive into the games we've previously covered. Sorry, all.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Social Animal posted:

I swear there was another game that had that gimmick of “beat your buddy to see who gets the girl”. Was it Die Hard Arcade maybe?

Castle Crashers did this

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Social Animal posted:

I swear there was another game that had that gimmick of “beat your buddy to see who gets the girl”. Was it Die Hard Arcade maybe?

Dynamite Cop on the Dreamcast did this kinda.

Streets of Rage 1 sort of does this depending on your end-game choices, only instead of a person it's the city.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Mercury Crusader posted:

Streets of Rage 1 sort of does this depending on your end-game choices, only instead of a person it's the city.

YOU BECAME THE BOSS!
YOU ARE GREAT!

Edit:
Just waltzed through Altered Beast on the Mega Drive and hoo boy, while I have untold nostalgia and endless fond childhood memories when it comes to this old thing, it really doesn't hold up all that well. Yes yes, we can still very much enjoy the classic bitcrushed soundbites (WeLcOmE tO yOuR dOoM!!)* but it really is some loving janky nonsense that I only completed because I've unfortunately played the bastard thing so many times in my miserable life. Getting anyone who's never played this before to enjoy it enough -- or even at all -- to go all the way through would probably be impossible, even though the whole thing takes fewer than fifteen minutes to jump, kick and punch your way to victory.

Boss 2 is a laughable piece of poo poo. Just fly up to his face and zap the fucker with repeated electricity fields. He dies in literally (and I mean literally, as defined in the dictionary) less time than it takes to read this sentence in Two Player mode.

I'll blaze through Golden Axe a bit later (hopefully) and share some thoughts on that. Whether I use Tyris or Gillius is going to be a coinflip. Ax Battler can gently caress off until he actually starts to battle with, oh I don't know, an axe?

*This soundbite however, despite being bitcrushed to gently caress, sounds so much more threatening than in the arcade original.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 30, 2019

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I've been having a really nice time with Kirby's Dreamland 3. I had never played it, though I owned Dreamland 2 on the GB and played the heck out of it (GB games need more remakes and/or to show up on the Switch at some point. There were some good ones anyway.)

It's a lot of fun, and the graphics are so freaking cute. It's clearly a late SNES game from 1997! But it's super charming and the jealousy some of the Animal Friends display when not chosen is too much.

Also I tried Kirby Golf with a friend the other day. The game is a bit obtuse, but it's an actual blast and pretty drat competitive.

Kirby is King.

I'll blaze through Golden Axe a bit later (hopefully) and share some thoughts on that. Whether I use Tyris or Gillius is going to be a coinflip. Ax Battler can gently caress off until he actually starts to battle with, oh I don't know, an axe?

I vote Tyris!

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I wanna join this club, when's the next game?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Big Scary Owl posted:

I wanna join this club, when's the next game?

There's been a small hiccup with our rental store. That said, it's a place to just play old games and then talk about them when we're not playing them at the same time. Rupert's done a great job with suggesting and keeping up the OP so you can see the previous games we've done:

RENTAL ACCOUNT HISTORY:
Week 1-and-a-bit (Sept 9th-20th): Star Fox
Week 2 (Sept 13th - Sept 20th): Wrecking Crew
Week 3 (Sept 20th - Sept 27th): Altered Beast / Golden Axe
Week 4 (Sep 27th - Oct 4th): Toejam & Earl
Week 5 (Oct 4th - Oct 11th): The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Week 6 (Oct 11th - Oct 18th): Pilotwings
Week 7 (Oct 18th - Oct 25th): Double Dragon 2: The Revenge / River City Ransom
OP to be updated with links to posts about each game, and with images and info and stuff.

I suggest you start with one of those if you're interested, while we wait for the next game suggestion, which if all goes well will be on Friday. I personally thought Star Fox was great fun, and I finally get why it's a thing. I bothered to beat Wrecking Crew in full and it's a great puzzler once you use rewind. I skipped the Sega weeks, I don't own those collections myself and never owned the console so I'm not likely to get those either unless there's a great sale. LttP is still one of my favorite games and it holds up well. Pilotwings is neat. I'll probably get it on the 3DS one of these days, though the lack of rewind makes me a bit nervous because it's what saved my game. I did Double Dragon 2, but eh, beat-em-ups aren't my thing. The only one I played extensively back in the day was Turtles in Time.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've been having a really nice time with Kirby's Dreamland 3. I had never played it, though I owned Dreamland 2 on the GB and played the heck out of it (GB games need more remakes and/or to show up on the Switch at some point. There were some good ones anyway.)

It's a lot of fun, and the graphics are so freaking cute. It's clearly a late SNES game from 1997! But it's super charming and the jealousy some of the Animal Friends display when not chosen is too much.

Also I tried Kirby Golf with a friend the other day. The game is a bit obtuse, but it's an actual blast and pretty drat competitive.

Kirby is King.
I fuckin' love classic Kirby. KDL may be all of 20 minutes long but it's such fun. KDL2 takes a bit of getting used to after Kirby's Adventure but it's still drat good. Sadly I don't have the systems to keep up with new stuff, but holy poo poo Kirby Superstar still stands as one of my favourite ever games (and Ultra is a shining example of how to remake/re-release something).

:allears:

Everyone would go straight for Gillius "Leaping Headbutt" Thunderhead when playing 2P because Ax Battler sucks, but I always picked Tyris because that magic power is some first-class boss-killer material. She also has that sweet flying kick to boot bastards into chasms.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If all goes well, the new rental will be available this Friday. I have some downtime today, so I'm going to draft up the post.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Rupert's done a great job with suggesting and keeping up the OP so you can see the previous games we've done:

Thanks! :3: The lack of update this week was because of a funeral (on my wife's side, which involved traveling 9 hours to be with her family). Just didn't want anyone thinking I'm simply not bothering to update or anything.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 30, 2019

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Barrelled through Golden Axe to pass the time.

Still fun to play and holds up well enough overall, but there's also some janky poo poo going on. The input for running often just flat-out refused to register on numerous occasions and the mismatch between sprite size and hitbox is a frequent occurrence, which sounds like I'm clutching at straws to excuse those less-than-stellar results above but I'm being serious. Skeletons in particular are the worst case for this bullshit, they'll swat at the air 2ft in front of them with those butter knives they call swords but somehow manage to land a cheap combo anyway despite you being at least 3ft away :shrug:

Booting fools into chasms is as fun as ever. Watching would-be attackers take a running leap only to launch themselves into chasms is still hilarious and easy to abuse, as is loving with the pathfinding to make them stumble off a ledge and into the void (a vital 'tool' on the final stage).

Death Bringer is still a piece of poo poo.

Edit:
https://i.imgur.com/bkBjRyI.mp4

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 31, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

^^^ I love this gif. You stole my strategy! :haw:

Return time!

Now let's put down the pipes, bats, knives, and garbage cans, and pick up some swords, bows, magic, and stand a specific distance away from our enemies!

Now renting: Shining Force

Released:
Mega Drive/Genesis
JP: March 20, 1992
NA: July 1993
EU: July 1993

GBA
June 8, 2004

Wii
Virtual Console
JP: July 10, 2007
NA: July 23, 2007
PAL: August 3, 2007

iOS
July 29, 2010

Windows, Linux, Mac
Steam
January 26, 2011

From Wikipedia:

Wikipedia posted:

Shining Force: The Legacy of Great Intention (シャイニング・フォース 神々の遺産 Shainingu Fōsu: Kamigami no Isan, lit. "Shining Force: The Legacy of the Gods"), is a 1992 fantasy turn-based tactics role-playing video game for the Mega Drive/Genesis console. While primarily a traditional fantasy-themed game, it contains some science fiction elements.

univbee heals this thread for 8 HP:

univbee posted:

Now this is a game I really should have played before, so this is good timing.

Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon

Physical versions:

Mega Drive/Genesis (US English and Japanese versions)
GBA (Remake) (US English and Europe EFIGS versions)

Digital versions
Previously available on Wii
Various versions available currently and formerly on iOS (Shining Force Classics is the most current version).
Currently available on Steam

Available as part of the Genesis/MD collections on PS3,360,PS4 and XB1.

This is one of the games on the Genesis/Mega Drive Mini.

Note that "Shining Force CD" on Sega CD is a remake of Game Gear entries in the series and does not include the campaign from the original Genesis/Mega Drive game we're talking about.

No special hardware is used in any version, but older iOS versions that have been delisted may not be able to run using the latest iOS.

The Genesis/MD ROM is 12 megabits (1.5 megabytes).

GBA version is 64 megabits (8 megabytes) for the US version (English only) and the European version (EFIGS) is 128 megabits (16 megabytes).

Unofficial fan translations exist in Chinese and Russian.

Rental due back: before midnight Nov 8th

Hint for next week's rental: "Screws, waves, and balls, all on the attack."

--------

I gotta hand it to this game, it was good enough to hook me even while I was playing it for the first time via Genecyst, using a keyboard. Usually, I'd only play games I knew on emulators, but this was my first and most notable exception back in the day. The music, the tactical gameplay, the visuals... This game is the whole package.

I strongly recommend it to even those reading this who might not be the biggest Genesis fans.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 1, 2019

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Now this is a game I really should have played before, so this is good timing.

Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon

Physical versions:

Mega Drive/Genesis (US English and Japanese versions)
GBA (Remake) (US English and Europe EFIGS versions)

Digital versions
Previously available on Wii
Various versions available currently and formerly on iOS (Shining Force Classics is the most current version).
Currently available on Steam

Available as part of the Genesis/MD collections on PS3,360,PS4 and XB1.

This is one of the games on the Genesis/Mega Drive Mini.

Note that "Shining Force CD" on Sega CD is a remake of Game Gear entries in the series and does not include the campaign from the original Genesis/Mega Drive game we're talking about.

No special hardware is used in any version, but older iOS versions that have been delisted may not be able to run using the latest iOS.

The Genesis/MD ROM is 12 megabits (1.5 megabytes).

GBA version is 64 megabits (8 megabytes) for the US version (English only) and the European version (EFIGS) is 128 megabits (16 megabytes).

Unofficial fan translations exist in Chinese and Russian.

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 1, 2019

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Somehow Shining Force escaped me despite being a Genesis kid until 1995 which was weird because I really got into Ogre Battle and later Final Fantasy Tactics. It'll be nice to properly play one for the first time.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh yeah, depending on your definition of fun and challenging, the 2nd-hardest difficulty is widely considered harder than the hardest difficulty, IIRC because the hardest difficulty works with absolute rules so the AI can be outsmarted without too much difficulty despite the strength disadvantage, while on the 2nd hardest there's some randomization and it's less predictable.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
If you look at the Genesis/Mega Drive library in the west, there are a few genres that Nintendo basically ignored in the NES and for a good chunk of the SNES days, especially stuff like strategy games. I'm mostly referring to first-party franchises like Fire Emblem, of course, with Shining Force being the Sega equivalent series, but even third-party games have a few weird oddities. Herzog Zwei and Gain Ground kinda fit the bill as early RTS-like games, the former developed by Tecnosoft of Thunder Force fame and published in the west by Sega, and the latter developed by Sega and published in the west by, uh, Renovation Products instead of Sega, they're the kind of games that Nintendo probably wouldn't have even gambled on even if they developed them. The first Langrisser game, localized in the west as "Warsong," which would kind of be the equivalent to Nintendo's "Famicom Wars" series but also a bit of Fire Emblem, was third-party published in the west, and is even weirder to think about being brought over at all considering when it was released (1991 in North America). Shining Force gets around rather readily in re-releases, which is nice.

So hey, I've been talking about Nintendo Power randomly throughout this thread, and I thought y'all might've thought "hey, what about Sega? Did they have a magazine in the United States to compete with Nintendo Power?" and the answer is "yeah, sorta"

Now when I say "sorta" I mean they didn't really compete in that space all too well. As much as folks will go on about how Nintendo Power is essentially an advertisement for Nintendo products (it was), it did offer compelling reasons to stay subscribed, such as news on future game releases, gameplay tips for popular games, and various forms of fan engagement, like the game high score section, the Top 30, fan mail, etc. Nintendo Power's predecessor, the Nintendo Fun Club Newsletter, was like a trial run for such a thing. Sega did the same, with their Team Sega Newsletter, which focused on the Sega Master System. Sega Visions launched practically alongside the launch of the Sega Genesis, focusing on the new console but also providing coverage on the Master System, since that was still kicking around outside of Japan (where it was dead once the Mega Drive was launched).

While Nintendo Power was (justifiably) accused of being a catalog for Nintendo products, Sega Visions was literally just advertisements for Sega products. Most features on games were essentially ads that boasted gameplay tips and strategies that can be summed up as "we copied some stuff from the instruction manual, here you go" or "jump to gain vertical momentum" or something. For example, here's the one-page feature for Golden Axe on the Sega Master System (I'm keeping it outside the thread because even as a thumbnail it's kind of a large image to expand on this table).

But you know what, maybe their game articles weren't that hot, but they did have something better than those boring rear end "Howard & Nester" comics. Meet totally tubular radical cool dude NILES NEMO!!!

(I wish I owned a Golden Axe arcade machine)

Sega Visions does have a fan mail section much like Nintendo Power does. A lot of the mail ends up looking like this:

Now when I said the magazine was mostly advertisements, it wasn't just "we wrote an article that's basically an ad for the game." A good percentage of the magazine was literally advertisements. Unlike Nintendo Power, which limited its ad space when moving from the Nintendo Fun Club Newsletter to a proper magazine (until partway into the N64 era when they brought them back in full force), full-page or two-page advertisement spreads for third-party games are all over the place. In some cases, you'd get like six pages in a row of various ads for games from Seismic or Tengen. In addition, the magazine had fewer pages than Nintendo Power, so if you took out those ads, you didn't have much content per issue. If it were a monthly magazine this probably wouldn't be that bad, but for most of the magazine's life, the release schedule for issues was...random. To give you an idea, here's the release schedule of the first five issues of the magazine:

- Issue 1 (June-July 1990)
- Issue 2 (October-November 1990)
- Issue 3 (Winter 1990 )
- Issue 4 (April-May 1991)
- Issue 5 (Summer 1991)

The magazine gets a bit better as the issues progress, but it never quite shakes away the problems that the earliest issues suffered from. For example, if you want to see the four-page article on Shining Force, it has a bit of early gameplay stuff, but nothing at the level of even a one-page article that Nintendo would give for a random rental-quality game. The entire magazine is archived out there and pretty easy to find (25 issues spanning from June 1990 to September 1995) if you want to get a hold of the weird time capsule that is Sega Visions. I own about half the magazine's run in physical form and I'd like to just grab the remaining dozen I'm missing. It's not as good as Nintendo Power, and in fact it is bad, but it's a cheesy type of 1990s bad that I crave.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I had and played the GBA game a lot especially after playing the first GBA Fire Emblem games to death. I really liked it, and really appreciated the variety of characters you had to choose from. There were some cool characters with fun powers to gently caress around with, though I never felt like it was as fine-tuned as Fire Emblem and some characters end up practically broken. But that's ok you had a cool army.

I also really liked reading the conversations you could get in the base.

I'm pretty sure it's one of the few GBA games I've kept over the years, and I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure I brought it overseas with me. I could boot up my old GBA, but that would require charging it and the like. I wonder if it even works.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Hmmm, this Shining Force thing turns out to be something that really isn't my cup of tea.

I never played it back in the day so had no idea what I was getting into, but I picked it up anyway and hosed around with with for half an hour just now and it's just all too long-winded for my tastes; the constant transition to a battle scene all for the sake of watching one attack animation before being booted back to the overhead view, over and over again, really puts me off. Doesn't help that I'm not really much of an RPG guy either. I get what they were trying to do with the tactical side of things (rather than just furiously button-mashing through menus to get battles over with ASAP) and fair enough that's neat, and if that's what people like then who am I to say they're wrong, but sadly it's just not for me as an overall package.

I guess I'll play catch-up with previous games and just babble like an idiot about animals in space with Star Fox this week :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MAILBOX
     MAILBOX
            MAILBOX

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hmmm, this Shining Force thing turns out to be something that really isn't my cup of tea.

I never played it back in the day so had no idea what I was getting into, but I picked it up anyway and hosed around with with for half an hour just now and it's just all too long-winded for my tastes; the constant transition to a battle scene all for the sake of watching one attack animation before being booted back to the overhead view, over and over again, really puts me off. Doesn't help that I'm not really much of an RPG guy either. I get what they were trying to do with the tactical side of things (rather than just furiously button-mashing through menus to get battles over with ASAP) and fair enough that's neat, and if that's what people like then who am I to say they're wrong, but sadly it's just not for me as an overall package.

I guess I'll play catch-up with previous games and just babble like an idiot about animals in space with Star Fox this week :v:

I get Strategy RPG's aren't everyone's cup of tea but I'm a huge fan, thanks to Fire Emblem and Advance Wars. Those games were so good on the GBA and I kept up with them (though I dropped Fire Emblem after Awakenings). So Shining Force was a big get for me when looking for other games I could play on the few consoles I had.

It's not quite as good but makes up for it with cool characters.

Turns out I don't have it. The only GBA games I brought overseas were Fire Emblem, Sacred Stones, and Advance Wars 2.

Though I did find out I wisely kept and brought Chrono Trigger DS and now I kinda want to replay that. Just as soon as I finish DQ VIII (HA!, no really I'm close to finishing the "story" and hitting the post-game.)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

MAILBOX
     MAILBOX
            MAILBOX

Look at all these beginners in the thread, talking about Nintendo games.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

My grandmother had this as part of the Sega Smash Pack or whatever for PC back when I was a kid. I played it a ton whenever I was at her house, but I’ve never beaten it. This is the game that got me into Fire Emblem a few years later on GBA.

This was probably my first RPG game and I remember it being super comfy being able to explore the towns, and I always wanted Fire Emblem to do that even though you can get that same experience from like any other RPG.

Never really got a chance to play Shining Force II, so I wish they put it out in the Genesis mini even though this series really only has any meaning to a handful of people like me.

E: This game, Shining Force II, and Shining in the Darkness are all on that recent Genesis classics collection on Switch, PS4, and Xbox. Though I hear you would be better served playing them by other means, but I guess I input lag won’t really be an issue for a turn based RPG.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 1, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, this is a FE/Advance wars-alike?

I’m in!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m in!

No permadeath, IIRC.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

God I love this game.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

No permadeath, IIRC.

You can go to a church after battle to revive dead party members. But if you let characters die and miss out on battles they can easily become so underleveled that they might as well be perma'd.

Managing XP is one of Shining Force's sore spots. You need to spread-out the kills as much as possible, and leveling up healing mages is difficult. Healing gives way less xp than combat, which means the healing mages will quickly fall behind in levels if you don't give them kills. But keeping them close enough to snipe low-hp enemies makes them a huge target, and even at high levels their HP and Def are low enough that they can only take one or two hits.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hungry Computer posted:

You can go to a church after battle to revive dead party members. But if you let characters die and miss out on battles they can easily become so underleveled that they might as well be perma'd.

Managing XP is one of Shining Force's sore spots. You need to spread-out the kills as much as possible, and leveling up healing mages is difficult. Healing gives way less xp than combat, which means the healing mages will quickly fall behind in levels if you don't give them kills. But keeping them close enough to snipe low-hp enemies makes them a huge target, and even at high levels their HP and Def are low enough that they can only take one or two hits.

Oh wow, I don't remember it being that messed up. Does 2 fix it at all?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I might be mis-remembering how bad SF 1 is in that regard because I haven't played it in so long. In 2 it's not as much of an issue because there are areas you can grind for xp. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend and see.

I do remember that you can push an npc into the town gate guard's path and leave the town without getting your opening party members. Then throw yourself at the opening battle over and over again until the main character levels up enough to complete it solo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I beat Star Fox on the SNES with an actual cartridge like 5 years ago with a Super Advantage but Star Fox on the Switch is literally unplayable for me. Did my brain pickle in 5 years or is the Switch version actually slower?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Oh wow, Shining Force. That brings me back. Was fun to play, and made me try out Shining in the Darkness. Then I played more of that game then of both Shining Force games combined.

And then I didn't finish Shining in the Darkness either. :v:

One of these days I really have to go back to those three games and properly finish them.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Niles Nemo chad vs incel Nester. So funny how Sega with their Genesis always went for the angle of “Nintendo is child’s play!” Although I tended to agree while playing MK with blood. :grin:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

al-azad posted:

I beat Star Fox on the SNES with an actual cartridge like 5 years ago with a Super Advantage but Star Fox on the Switch is literally unplayable for me. Did my brain pickle in 5 years or is the Switch version actually slower?

I had kinda the exact situation reversed. I really think you just have to be in the right mood and mindset to enjoy the original Star Fox these days.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh wow, I don't remember it being that messed up. Does 2 fix it at all?

You can "grind" in Shining Force. You keep everything you've earned in a level if you lose it, except for half your money. You can decide yourself if that's a problem or not.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m in!

It's very similar. It's definitely not as good, in my opinion, mainly because you can get some particularly broken units (at least in the GBA version). The characters are really neat and unique however, as opposed to the generic fantasy military classes in FE.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I've still got it! It never left me! :corsair:

So that's Route 1/Easy out of the way. I was going to go for a trip (shortcut) through THE AWESOME BLACK HOLE but managed to completely balls up the timing on activating that, so I didn't get to see the malevolent-smile asteroid. Oh well. A quick rundown of "wot i fink" about the bosses along this path:

This one's a doddle, as all first bosses should be (at least within reason), with a fair introduction to how weakspots work and all that jazz. It's nice and fat too so it's practically impossible to miss your shots.

More of the same generally speaking, but with a nasty surprise where half the loving thing gets ejected towards your ship after destroying the initial 8 weakpoints. That scared the poo poo out of me as a kid!

Fuuuuuuck you. It's been over 25 years and this thing still refuses to co-operate; I must have spent several minutes trying to blast away at the wall panels but absolutely loving nothing was happening. I got tired of playing "fair" so instead just lobbed four Nova Bombs at this bitch and that was the end of that. A disappointing entry, and a drat shame that it dirties the end of a really fun level.

This thing gave young me a headache, the stage itself is a bit of a bastard (with giant boulders constantly popping into existence) to say the least so when this fucker turns up chances are you're already flying a battered Arwing. For a path marked "Easy" this boss ranks up there as one of the tougher encounters with multiple attack modes/phases, and it's especially trying if you're stuck with the bog-standard single blaster (it just goes on for so goddamn long!). I'd already upgraded to the twin plasma cannons by the second boss though, which makes things like this fight go by considerably quickly. That poo poo's way overpowered, but I'm certainly not complaining.

Not really a fan of this one. After the previous boss, this thing feels a bit basic. The "fake copies" thing is cool and all that but outside of making you guess which one is the real deal, it doesn't really do much. Underwhelming encounter, and then you have to fight it again on the surface of Venom, only for it to transform into...

...this. And this phase is loving infuriating. Constantly stays out of range of your weapons and has a tiny weakspot. Takes one hit then goes through a lengthy moment of invulnerability while spamming homing missiles. It drags on too much because of all the time spent not being able to damage the fucker, and quite frankly I don't like it. Miserably dull, even with all those lasers and missiles flying around.

Pretty drat easy, when compared to the last few boss fights. I don't think Andross ever gave me any hassle on Route 1. Sure dodging all these giant slabs of space concrete is a bit of a task but ultimately they're still 'dumb fire' projectiles and still easy to avoid (unless you suddenly have a sneezing fit, as I did). The brain-cube thing is reduced to rubble and dust in mere seconds if using the fully upgraded plasma cannons, which is a tad anticlimactic to say the least.

Going to enjoy that 100% while it lasts. Chances are 100% that I'll gently caress it all up and get crap scores for Route 2 and Route 3.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wow. Did you rewind to get those scores or are you just that much of an ace? That's really impressive.

I enjoyed the boss fights in Star Fox. If not for the speed of the game I'd say it holds up remarkably well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Double post. But I'll add that my favorite load out in Shining Force was the bug ninja, the armadillo Mecha, the werewolf, the flying squid, the card master, the samurai, and the monk . Like I said the cast of characters is nuts.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 2, 2019