Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, I looked up how to get it (yeah, whatever), and :stare:

How.... how was this discovered? A rom dump? Nintendo power? :psyduck:

Woah. I knew I was generally lucky in life, but i swear this just happened by chance. Crazy. I've had things pop out every now and then, a cat, a Santa, and the hammer. Sometimes a little M shows up. I didn't know I could fly though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wrecking Crew has been pretty fun so far. I'm not sure I would have liked it back in the day though. It really seems like a game that hugely benefits from playing a level or two, putting it down and coming back later. If I play more than a few levels at a time I get tired of it, but if I take it in bitesize chunks, it gets more appealing to me.

Anyway, it really has that 80's "just play it and figure it out" mentality. No instructions or anything. I ran around the first level for way too long because I didnt realize you could smash the white ladders. I had no idea how to end the level

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

How.... how was this discovered? A rom dump? Nintendo power? :psyduck:

Probably running an emulator recording and then going step-by-step through the assembly when it appears to figure out what happened.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I haven't played A Link to the Past in probably 15 years since I had the GBA version. Played it the other night and got up to the dark palace remembering all the secrets along the way still. Fired up Yoshi's Island for the first time in who knows how long and felt like it was Christmas morning 1995 again. Thank you Nintendo!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So another weird Wrecking Crew thing. I managed to get all the enemies through a door. A series of rising beeps played and they all froze for a few seconds. So I guess that's a thing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So another weird Wrecking Crew thing. I managed to get all the enemies through a door. A series of rising beeps played and they all froze for a few seconds. So I guess that's a thing.

This one I knew (and I suspect other players did, as well) because there's an early level with those eggplant-like enemies, and you can get them in there pretty easily.

Edit: two games coming up for tomorrow. Or maybe tonight, y'all have had Star Fox long enough :colbert:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Actually finally got to play some tonight of both games.

Star Fox I made it to what if memory serves is the 2nd to last boss but then got stonewalled and game overed. Wasn't using save states or rewinding.

Wrecking Crew I played through 12-ish stages, actually like it and will probably give it a more honest shake in the future, such as when I'm next traveling for a while. It actually seems like the perfect kind of game for a long plane/train ride if you had the "Famicom Mini" GBA version.

Not sure what the story is with the "saving" of custom stages. I think it's essentially disabled on all the Virtual Console versions in terms of how it was done originally, but level designs seem to persist through resets (at least they did on Wii U). Switch is interesting, since they actually modified the ROM to take "Save" and "Load" out of the "Design" menu entirely.

Actually really liking this for "dipping a toe" into games I might not have otherwise tried or revisited.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Actually really liking this for "dipping a toe" into games I might not have otherwise tried or revisited.

yeah this thread is so cool. I never would have tried something like Wrecking Crew otherwise. It's like our own book club!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Return time!

Thank you for your patronage!

So, the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive Mini is a thing, released yesterday. Let's celebrate with some iconic titles from Sega's 16-bit library, shall we? Double header, due back in a week!

Now renting: Altered Beast

Released: (here we go...)

Arcade:
JP: August 1988
NA: 1988

Mega Drive/Genesis
JP: November 27, 1988
NA: August 14, 1989
EU: November 30, 1990

Master System
NA: 1989
EU: 1989

PC Engine HuCard
JP: September 22, 1989

PC Engine CD-ROM
JP: September 29, 1989

Family Computer
JP: July 20, 1990

General info from Wikipedia

Wikipedia posted:

Altered Beast is a 1988 beat 'em up arcade game developed and manufactured by Sega. The game is set in Ancient Greece, and follows a centurion who is resurrected by Zeus to rescue his daughter Athena. In order to save his daughter, Zeus transforms the centurion into beasts with the use of power-ups. After its initial arcade release, it was ported to several home video game consoles and home computers, including the Mega Drive/Genesis, for which it was a pack-in game.

Also renting: Golden Axe

Released:

Arcade
May 1989

Sega Genesis
NA: December 22, 1989
JP: December 23, 1989
EU: November 30, 1990

Turbografx CD

JP: 1990

Sega Master System
NA: March 1, 1990

General info (from Wikipedia):

Wikipedia posted:

Golden Axe (ゴールデンアックス Gooruden Akkusu) is a side-scrolling, beat 'em up, arcade video game released in 1989 by Sega for the System 16-B arcade hardware. It is the first game in the Golden Axe series.

Makoto Uchida was the lead designer of the game, and also was responsible for the creation of Altered Beast. The game was ported to the Sega Genesis and Master System consoles, among many other systems.

Awesome-as-always info dumb from univbee :toot:

univbee posted:

Golden Axe

Official Availability (likely incomplete list)

Physical version (standalone): Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, Sega Master System, Arcade (Sega System 16)
Also included in various classic bundles, including in Sega Smash Pack Volume 1 on Dreamcast, Sega Genesis Collection on PS2 and PSP*, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on PS3 and Xbox 360, and Sega Genesis Classics* on PS4, XB1 and Switch.
* are also available as digital purchases
Digital versions: PS3, Xbox 360, PC (Steam), iOS, Android. Formerly available on Wii (and by extension Wii U via Wii Mode).
Included on the Genesis/Mega Drive Mini, and various AT-GAMES-tier consoles

"Grey market" availability

This is a 512 kb Genesis/Mega Drive ROM with nothing special, and will work on anything that can run Genesis/Mega Drive ROMs or games without issue. The arcade version has been supported in MAME since at least v0.37b5 and works well on all RetroPie builds. As with all 16-bit Sega games, Definitely leverage a solution with accurate music if you can.

Supports 2-player simultaneous play, does not make use of 6-button controllers.

CHEEVOS

PS3/360 “Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection”

Collect 20 magic power-ups (Silver trophy/20G)

Sega Vintage Collection (Xbox 360)

Hit an enemy with magic after knocking him into the air. (20G)
Cleared a stage while riding a creature (20G)
Rode every type of creature (30G)
Use Tyris's strongest magic (20G)
Knocked an enemy into a hole (in all Golden Axe games) (20G)

PS3 digital version (note this version features save states you can leverage for the below challenges. No platinum. All trophies are bronze unless otherwise indicated)

Ride the Cockatrice
Play as every character
Get to stage 3 without dying
Perform a Level 6 magic attack with the Amazon
Perform a Level 3 magic attack with the Dwarf
Perform a Level 4 magic attack with the Barbarian
Collect three potions from a thief or group of thieves (for 2P games, one player must collect 3 themselves)
Reach Stage 5 without dying (silver trophy)
Beat the game in local co-op mode (Silver trophy)
Complete an online Co-op game (this pops if you game over and continue)
Beat the game without continuing (Gold trophy)

Sega Genesis Classics (PS4/XB1)

All the Magics - Golden Axe Games – Collect 200 magic (Silver/20G)
What are the buttons? – Use magic when no enemies are present (Bronze/50G)

---

Altered Beast (Juuouki (獣王記) (Chronicle of the Beast King) in Japan)

This was the pack-in title with the Sega Genesis at launch, later replaced by Sonic the Hedgehog.

North America and Europe:
Physical version (standalone): Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, Sega Master System, Arcade
Also included in various classic bundles, including in Sega Smash Pack Volume 1 on Dreamcast, Sega Genesis Collection on PS2 and PSP*, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on PS3 and Xbox 360, and Sega Genesis Classics* on PS4, XB1 and Switch.
Digital versions (standalone): PS3, Xbox 360, PC (Steam), 3DS (with actual 3D), iOS, Android
Formerly available on Wii (and by extension Wii U via Wii Mode).

Japan: Same as above, plus:
Physical edition: PC Engine, PC Engine CD-ROM2 (note: CD-ROM boot HuCard version 1.00 is REQUIRED, so you will need this boot card, or to run its image from a Turbo Everdrive, even if your setup has built-in boot capability like with a PC Engine Duo)

This is a 512 kb Genesis/Mega Drive ROM with nothing special, and will work on anything that can run Genesis/Mega Drive ROMs or games without issue. The arcade version has been supported in MAME since at least v0.37b5 and works well on RetroPie builds using an RPi 2 or higher. As with all 16-bit Sega games, Definitely leverage a solution with accurate music if you can.

The PC Engine version should be similarly straightforward, although the niche and glitched nature of the CD-ROM2's version could cause trouble if you're going that route. Shouldn’t be CPU-intensive regardless, though.

CHEEVOS

Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3/360)
Collect 100,000 pts or higher by the end of the first level (10G)

Standalone
Finish the game (25G)

Rentals due back before: midnight Sept 27th, 2019

-------

So, two this week both because I think for the next month or so, I'd like to focus on Genesis/MD games, but also, Altered Beast, while respectable as a launch title, is... pretty basic. And I've honestly never given it a fair shot, so here we go.

Golden Axe, of course, I've loved ever since I played it for the first time at my friend Dan's place. Kicked our asses, and then eventually, we got better. We saved the king and queen.... only to be told that there's... more to do? And then the extra stuff kicked our asses. We got better over time, and then finally, finally beat it ALL. And then we played duel mode and kicked each other's asses! Great fun. I love this game. Never gave the sequels much time.

EDIT: Sorry about the image sizes, I do a lot of this via my phone, and holy poo poo, sometimes I can't tell how big or small pictures are going to be. All game stuff is (usually) taken from Wikipedia, but sometimes better images are found elsewhere. Either way, I bring them over to imgur before linking, because... actually, is hotlinking even a big deal anymore?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 20, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's a testament as to how good the Switch is for retro stuff that all three games this thread has covered were already on mine. Altered Beast is on the Genesis Collection. The emulation isn't great but it doesn't look like it's getting in the way of Altered Beast.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
man, i need to rent me a mega drive (i aint getting that classic until november)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The extent of my experience with altered beast is making fun of “wise from yow gwave” and I’ve never touched golden axe, so I’ll definitely check both out.

This thread has made me realize I am a basic bitch

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Both Altered Beast and Golden Axe are important games on the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive for one reason or another.

Altered Beast was a 1988 arcade side-scrolling beat-em-up which were pretty popular for a while there, going back to at least 1984 with Irem's Kung Fu Master (mostly known for its NES port "Kung Fu" which was a launch title for the US NES). By 1987, Hudson released China Warrior/The Kung Fu (unrelated to Irem's game), which would probably be Altered Beast's closest contemporary. China Warrior had large character sprites, which looked impressive, but was also more limited in gameplay. Altered Beast had large sprites as well, but it also featured some light platforming and the famous power-up system which transformed your centurion character into a beast depending on which stage you were on. The other significant side-scrolling beat-em-up for the time would probably be Bad Dudes vs. DragonNinja, a game that incorporated a bit of Rolling Thunder/Shinobi into its gameplay design. Altered Beast for the time was a pretty impressive-looking game, had a cool aesthetic, memorable voice clips, and that famous transformation sequence.

Unfortunately, by the time Altered Beast (and its genre contemporaries) hit the scene in 1988, Technos Japan already revolutionized the beat-em-up genre with Double Dragon a year prior, which was the game that ushered in a wave of belt-style brawlers (Renegade/Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun was released a year before Double Dragon and technically the first belt-style brawler, but that game didn't have a stage progression system like Double Dragon did). So while Altered Beast was impressive from a presentation stand-point, that gameplay style was already seen as out-of-date. However, the game was still an impressive tech demo for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, enough so that it got to be the pack-in game for the US release over the two Japanese Mega Drive launch titles, Space Harrier II and Super Thunder Blade.

Golden Axe was a 1989 arcade belt-scroller beat-em-up which almost feels like a spiritual successor to Altered Beast considering its theme. It's like Double Dragon, only you get weapons, can dash by double-tapping left or right, do dash attacks in the process, and instead of picking up weapons like in other belt-scrollers (due to the characters already using weapons by default) some stages had fantastical mounted beasts you can ride that had their own attacks. The game even has a special move system where you collect magic potions (up to five) and using the attack changes your spell depending on how many potions you have and what character you are using (some having more varied and powerful magic attacks than the others).

The Genesis/Mega Drive version of Golden Axe is also mostly known for how fast it got a home console port. The arcade version was released in May of 1989; the Gen/MD version was released in both Japan and the US by Christmas the same year (Europe got it a year later). It was also one of the earliest co-op multiplayer games on the platform. Altered Beast may have been a tech showcase for how well the console could handle ports of (Sega's own) arcade titles, but Golden Axe arguably did it the best out of the pre-Sonic 1 years of the console's life.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Sega's early arcade output, and I loved the concept of the Genesis being "We Bring the Arcade Experience Home" and felt like a lot of that just got lost in the shuffle once Sega of America put more emphasis on celebrity endorsements and western-developed console titles.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 20, 2019

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Return time!

Thank you for your patronage!

I'm going to eat a late fee on that Wrecking Crew. I'm on lvl 83, and I want to beat, plus I never owned Sega consoles, so I never bought these games, and that's fine by me.

Wrecking Crew gets tough near the end though.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Mercury Crusader posted:

The Genesis/Mega Drive version of Golden Axe is also mostly known for how fast it got a home console port. The arcade version was released in May of 1989; the Gen/MD version was released in both Japan and the US by Christmas the same year (Europe got it a year later). It was also one of the earliest co-op multiplayer games on the platform. Altered Beast may have been a tech showcase for how well the console could handle ports of (Sega's own) arcade titles, but Golden Axe arguably did it the best out of the pre-Sonic 1 years of the console's life.

It's also interesting how - in contrast how arcade ports often work out - Golden Axe on the Genesis/Mega Drive got a whole extra stage and different ending from the arcade version, making it a somewhat superior version in terms of content even if not in technical terms.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mercury Crusader posted:

some stages had fantastical mounted beasts you can ride that had their own attacks.

I will always love that the chicken lizard one appears in both Golden Axe and also in Altered Beast as an enemy that drops the power ups. IIRC in Golden Axe all the beasts are called Bizarrians collectively but I don't know if that's official or an invention of the US manual. Either way we need an R rated Golden Axe/Altered Beast cinematic universe.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Sega's early arcade output, and I loved the concept of the Genesis being "We Bring the Arcade Experience Home" and felt like a lot of that just got lost in the shuffle once Sega of America put more emphasis on celebrity endorsements and western-developed console titles.

I remember when Golden Axe dropped on the Genesis they had a lot of TV spots that really emphasized how getting a Genesis meant you were getting an arcade in your house especially with Golden Axe specifically for all the reasons you mentioned. They knew they had something really unique there, but once Sonic was out I can understand why they dropped it. But I guess that mentality still lived on with the Saturn considering how its arcade ports were often better than the PSX versions.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

I will always love that the chicken lizard one appears in both Golden Axe and also in Altered Beast as an enemy that drops the power ups. IIRC in Golden Axe all the beasts are called Bizarrians collectively but I don't know if that's official or an invention of the US manual. Either way we need an R rated Golden Axe/Altered Beast cinematic universe.

I remember when Golden Axe dropped on the Genesis they had a lot of TV spots that really emphasized how getting a Genesis meant you were getting an arcade in your house especially with Golden Axe specifically for all the reasons you mentioned. They knew they had something really unique there, but once Sonic was out I can understand why they dropped it. But I guess that mentality still lived on with the Saturn considering how its arcade ports were often better than the PSX versions.

The Ninja Turtle Arcade ports were much the same on pretty much all systems that got them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Speaking of the arcade experience with Sega, I was just listening to one of the recent episodes of Pat Contri's Completely Unnecessary Podcast (it's way better than anything he did as Pat the NES Punk), and he and Ian were talking about how the Dreamcast was the last true console that really felt like it was providing a genuine 'arcade'-like experience with their games. And it had something like a 16 game launch window :eyepop:

I grew up with the Genesis version of Golden Axe, so when I finally tried the actual arcade version, it didn't go well. I remember liking it more than the Contra arcade version, but not much.

Anyway, dibs on chicken wing and Tyris Flare :allears: Her magic is legitimately great. Playing the first Golden Axe (on Genesis) with a friend really came down to 'do you want good attacking (Gilius, the dwarf) or good magic (Tyris, the woman barbarian)?

Ax Battler was some weak rear end poo poo.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Gilius all the way, who needs magic when you can do a flying Viking helmet headbutt?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Strawman posted:

Gilius all the way, who needs magic when you can do a flying Viking helmet headbutt?

Have you used a fully-charged Tyrus Flare blast?

You can almost go and make a sandwich from the time it takes for all of the poo poo to happen on-screen. I'm saying Gilius + Tyrus is how you beat Golden Axe.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So many fires I had to put out at work so couldn't post this earlier, but here you go if you want to alter your beast or get a good look at dat axe

Golden Axe

Physical version (standalone): Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, Sega Master System, Arcade (Sega System 16)
Digital versions: PS3, Xbox 360, PC (Steam), iOS, Android. Formerly available on Wii (and by extension Wii U via Wii Mode).

This is a 512 kb Genesis/Mega Drive ROM with nothing special, and will work on anything that can run Genesis/Mega Drive ROMs or games without issue. The arcade version has been supported in MAME since at least v0.37b5 and works well on all RetroPie builds. As with all 16-bit Sega games, Definitely leverage a solution with accurate music if you can.

CHEEVOS

PS3/360 “Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection”

Collect 20 magic power-ups (Silver trophy/20G)

Sega Vintage Collection (Xbox 360)

Hit an enemy with magic after knocking him into the air. (20G)
Cleared a stage while riding a creature (20G)
Rode every type of creature (30G)
Use Tyris's strongest magic (20G)
Knocked an enemy into a hole (in all Golden Axe games) (20G)

PS3 digital version (note this version features save states you can leverage for the below challenges. No platinum. All trophies are bronze unless otherwise indicated)

Ride the Cockatrice
Play as every character
Get to stage 3 without dying
Perform a Level 6 magic attack with the Amazon
Perform a Level 3 magic attack with the Dwarf
Perform a Level 4 magic attack with the Barbarian
Collect three potions from a thief or group of thieves (for 2P games, one player must collect 3 themselves)
Reach Stage 5 without dying (silver trophy)
Beat the game in local co-op mode (Silver trophy)
Complete an online Co-op game (this pops if you game over and continue)
Beat the game without continuing (Gold trophy)

Sega Genesis Classics (PS4/XB1)

All the Magics - Golden Axe Games – Collect 200 magic (Silver/20G)
What are the buttons? – Use magic when no enemies are present (Bronze/50G)

Altered Beast (Juuouki (獣王記) (Chronicle of the Beast King) in Japan)

This was the pack-in title with the Sega Genesis at launch, later replaced by Sonic the Hedgehog.

North America and Europe:
Physical version (standalone): Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, Sega Master System, Arcade
Digital versions (standalone): PS3, Xbox 360, PC (Steam), 3DS (with actual 3D), iOS, Android
Formerly available on Wii (and by extension Wii U via Wii Mode).

Japan: Same as above, plus:
Physical edition: PC Engine, PC Engine CD-ROM2 (note: CD-ROM boot HuCard version 1.00 is REQUIRED, so you will need this boot card, or to run its image from a Turbo Everdrive, even if your setup has built-in boot capability like with a PC Engine Duo)

This is a 512 kb Genesis/Mega Drive ROM with nothing special, and will work on anything that can run Genesis/Mega Drive ROMs or games without issue. The arcade version has been supported in MAME since at least v0.37b5 and works well on RetroPie builds using an RPi 2 or higher. As with all 16-bit Sega games, Definitely leverage a solution with accurate music if you can.

The PC Engine version should be similarly straightforward, although the niche and glitched nature of the CD-ROM2's version could cause trouble if you're going that route. Shouldn’t be CPU-intensive regardless, though.

CHEEVOS

Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3/360)
Collect 100,000 pts or higher by the end of the first level (10G)

Standalone
Finish the game (25G)

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 20, 2019

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Also I cheated slightly and gave a few different versions of both games a test run late last night.

The Genesis Mini is legit and good, the 3-button controllers are basically how I remember them, and I quite like the CRT filter personally. It's missing the "Jazz" option for borders that the newer Genesis Collection has on PS4/XB1, though.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
drat, I've got these on the Vita Genesis collection but it's one of those annoying few games that have to be downloaded and transferred via PS3. My older consoles are currently inaccessible due to home renovations, and I recently wiped my Vita to install some CFW - whoops!

Although I'm wondering, perhaps with the CFW I could just download the game in PSP mode? If that works, I think the only limitation would be that I couldn't access the game from the main Vita menu. I could live with that for the short term... actually it would be very appropriate for a "rental"-type situation :shobon:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Minidust posted:

drat, I've got these on the Vita Genesis collection but it's one of those annoying few games that have to be downloaded and transferred via PS3. My older consoles are currently inaccessible due to home renovations, and I recently wiped my Vita to install some CFW - whoops!

Although I'm wondering, perhaps with the CFW I could just download the game in PSP mode? If that works, I think the only limitation would be that I couldn't access the game from the main Vita menu. I could live with that for the short term... actually it would be very appropriate for a "rental"-type situation :shobon:

Good question.

I'm not sure what is and isn't possible on CFW, however in future what you can do is transfer all the "PS3 download only" to your Vita once, use a PC with Vita Content Manager and backup those games there. Once the games have been on your Vita and backed up in this way, you can just restore them easy-peasy using the content manager again next time, instead of needing the PS3.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I loved Altered Beast as a kid. Wasn’t there an animal form only in the arcade version? I remember the wolfman, dragon, bear then a golden wolfman. Last time I played the game was on the iOS port but can’t remember if that’s based on arcade or genesis.

I swear I used to play a DOS copy of Golden Axe as a kid. I never completed it maybe I’ll try now.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

This thread loving rules and I'm going to eventially own every classic game collection on Switch so I can legally play them all in bed. I've got NESFlix, SNESFlix, Genesis, and Mana Trilogy, just need the other 12 or so.

Altered Beast and Golden Axe I never played but loved watching my older brother and his friend play when I was 4, 5, or 6 years old. My brother would always quote "wise fwom yow gwave" and that's what made me remember it through the years. Can't wait to give these a try soon!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
One of my friends in college had a Golden Axe cabinet and we played the poo poo out of it

Not my favorite beat em up but a classic

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Altered Beast isn’t a good game really but it still gets a pass from me due to the art and the sound design. It’s really creepy and atmospheric. I remember it really leaving an impact on 5-6 year old me since I was used to playing just mostly cutesy NES games before having a Genesis.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Altered Beast isn’t a good game really but it still gets a pass from me due to the art and the sound design. It’s really creepy and atmospheric. I remember it really leaving an impact on 5-6 year old me since I was used to playing just mostly cutesy NES games before having a Genesis.

Was going to post pretty much the same thing. I went from NES to Genesis as well and it was something else. Just played through it again and man the music and art, even the little creepy cutscene pictures in between the levels. Game just oozes atmosphere and style. The music in the second level and especially the tune that comes on when you are in animal form just gets you hyped up. Unfortunately game is just boring jank now. POWER UP!

Also looked up the 2005 sequel on YouTube. Yikes.

Played Genesis version of Golden Axe as well and honestly it's just unplayable. Movement is bad, combat is terrible and it's just boring as poo poo. The spells are as cool as I remember them especially on the female chick. That rear end tho. Actually I remember hating Golden Axe as a kid too so no surprise there.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So what's the late fee for brining back Wrecking Crew today?

I really liked this game, I would've probably hated it as a kid as it can stupidly unfair, though you can start at any stage if you lose so it's not a huge deal. There are some puzzles though... lvl 99 features a solution that isn't intuitive and likely a thing you had never done to that point. Lvl 100 is surprisingly easy. I had a lot of trouble with some levels in the 80s but then it got better.

Anyway I hope you Sega-havers are enjoying yourselves. I'm going back to future to beat Celeste Ch 9 but I'll be back if ever we try out some Nintendo games again.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Quick question about Link to the Past. I just got through the east palace. I looked up a walkthrough to give me an idea which one I should go for next and there's a whole section of things you should find before east palace and then things you should find before each of the next steps. Is this game easy enough to power through or am I boning myself by beelining to each objective?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

tensai posted:

Quick question about Link to the Past. I just got through the east palace. I looked up a walkthrough to give me an idea which one I should go for next and there's a whole section of things you should find before east palace and then things you should find before each of the next steps. Is this game easy enough to power through or am I boning myself by beelining to each objective?

LttP is simple in that you'll eventually bottleneck. After Eastern Palace, you need to do the Desert Palace. To get in, you need the Book of Mudora. To get that, you need the Pegasus Boots, which are given to you by old guy in "exchange" for the Green Pendant.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

tensai posted:

You’ll be fine if you beeline but I recommend exploring between each dungeon when you get items that allow you to go to new places.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone using a HDMI switch for their various minis?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes, my entertainment center is run by a Monoprice 8 port HDMI switch.

It has some annoyances but doesn’t introduce lag and is the best 8 port switch you can get without spending like $300

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I remember really loving the fact that right after you read the in-between journal logs in Golden Axe, specifically mentioning a village on the back of an enormous turtle, and how you'll have to fight on the back of some huge eagle while it flies you to the castle, it actually shows that stuff IN the level, as part of the background.

The :black101: smilie was made for this game.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 23, 2019

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Wow, Alter Beast really is a super early form of beat em up, its almost rhythm game esque in that you have to perform specific attacks in a specific order to enemies that always appear in that order and spot and the screen never stops scrolling. Cool graphics, music, and atmosphere though!

Edit: I just beat stage 3 and how the gently caress were you supposed to beat this game legit? There is absolutely zero room for error, there's no room to maneuver, everything hitstuns you with no invincibility recovery time, and you get no time to react to oncoming threats. It'a rough for sure!

Cartoon Violence fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 23, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Also, I LOVE this opening theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-_JSjE56Js

Feel free to post favourite tracks from games we've rented/discussed/played so far. I might be adding my favourites to the initial posts of the games themselves in the future, especially considering what I have coming next. :getin:

EDIT: Lest we forget, the original arcade ending is the best ending of any game. Ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ZTzltMjKo

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 23, 2019

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I've taken to playing SMB the lost levels. It's tough, rewind is way too necessary. I beat it but I've now learned there are four special worlds to unlock that requires you beating the game 8 times. Wish me luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Can we talk about the pocari sweat reference in that ending?