Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«11 »
Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I went ahead and ordered those Botach plates. I'll do some research on carriers I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Akion posted:

I went ahead and ordered those Botach plates. I'll do some research on carriers I guess.

https://www.skdtac.com/Paraclete-SO...c-p/par.106.htm

I have the older Paraclete version that has soft armor sewn into the side cummerbund. This version has no soft armor sewn in, but you can add it after the fact. It's cheaper than the soft armor version. I can solidly vouch for this as I used it for a year in Iraq and I've been wearing it for 3-gun for like 6 years now. If you want something lighter, I can also vouch for the Crye JPC.

Be sure to check if your plates are stand-alone or if they need soft armor backers.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I just ordered these: https://botach.com/battle-steel-lev...5-lbs-80-thick/

I think I'll need trauma pads to match whenever I get a carrier, I guess?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yeah, nothing about that says standalone, so I'd definitely put soft armor backers behind them.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Ceros_X posted:

Eh, gonna disagree with this. AR500Armor.com's steel plates have been tested to NIJ stabdards at H.P. White's facility, they have copies of all the testing reports here.
Separate question: What's up with body armor manufacturers (or at least ones that are civilian facing) using different product numbers than the model designations on the NIJ listed armor database? It's not just AR500 but I've seen it on Spartan and some others the same thing where the site model and the listed armor database models do not match. You'd think if they're all on the up and up that they'd want to match those exactly (or at least include the list model designation in their sales SKUs) and proudly proclaim that they meet compliance standards (unlike their competitors).

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

I've got an itch for a new brain bucket since my old ACH is from 2008 and has seen a bit of time out and about, is there anything wrong with high cut ACH helmets?

like dis Bulletproof It High Cut ACH for $400 on Midway USA, or the Midwest Kevlar High Cut for $320 on Bullet Proof ME?

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

They're standalone

BeAuMaN posted:

Separate question: What's up with body armor manufacturers (or at least ones that are civilian facing) using different product numbers than the model designations on the NIJ listed armor database? It's not just AR500 but I've seen it on Spartan and some others the same thing where the site model and the listed armor database models do not match. You'd think if they're all on the up and up that they'd want to match those exactly (or at least include the list model designation in their sales SKUs) and proudly proclaim that they meet compliance standards (unlike their competitors).

I don't know about that one.

Ceros_X fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 19, 2020

DoubleAughtMeowMix
May 3, 2006

B33 < Meow what is so funny

Speaking of helmets, I have a PASGT I was given years ago by my Dad. I know it's very much not in vogue and the suspension system sucks. So my question is: if I got like an Oregon Aero upgrade kit or similar installed in there, would that be a workable stopgap until I got a modern helmet somewhere down the line? Like, in any situation where I might want to grab a helmet, would this work 'good enough' for now?

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

DoubleAughtMeowMix posted:

Speaking of helmets, I have a PASGT I was given years ago by my Dad. I know it's very much not in vogue and the suspension system sucks. So my question is: if I got like an Oregon Aero upgrade kit or similar installed in there, would that be a workable stopgap until I got a modern helmet somewhere down the line? Like, in any situation where I might want to grab a helmet, would this work 'good enough' for now?

Well, it depends what you want your PAGST for - bump protection/NVG mounting/ballistic protection?

PAGST is still pretty serviceable - there is a newer version that offers more protection (or lighter weight/higher cut) but unless you strictly want an nvg mount or bump helmet they're perfectly adequate.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Miso Beno posted:

I've got an itch for a new brain bucket since my old ACH is from 2008 and has seen a bit of time out and about, is there anything wrong with high cut ACH helmets?

like dis Bulletproof It High Cut ACH for $400 on Midway USA, or the Midwest Kevlar High Cut for $320 on Bullet Proof ME?

Either of those should be fine if they're made from actual ACH's. High-cut helmets trade protection along your ears for ease of use with electronic earpro. The ones I'd be concerned with are ones made from Chinese knock-off ACH helmets, like the ones from Hard Hat Veterans or AA Shield.

DoubleAughtMeowMix posted:

The pads should be good to go. The trick is if you want to replace the chinstrap as the mounting system is different from newer helmet systems like an ACH. Also trying to run fancy equipment on your helmet like NVG's will be tough. Otherwise, in terms of protecting your noggin' they're fine.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Android Apocalypse posted:

Either of those should be fine if they're made from actual ACH's. High-cut helmets trade protection along your ears for ease of use with electronic earpro. The ones I'd be concerned with are ones made from Chinese knock-off ACH helmets, like the ones from Hard Hat Veterans or AA Shield.

There's also the comedy option of brand new yet to be certified made in America CVC helmets with the best worst name: Tendy Defendy Helmets for $400.

Edit: apparently the Midwest Kevlar brain bucket is an import without specifying where from so that's concerning.

Miso Beno fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 19, 2020

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Way back when I was a young grunt in Iraq during the invasion, I asked how the SF dudes got their awesome high cut/ear pro cut helmets.

"Drilled CVC helmets for suspension, put a coat of epoxy on the inside." They said when they tested them (not to NIJ standards of course) they worked just fine.

I ended up doing that after finding a ballistic (NOTE- NOT ALL CVC SHELLS ARE BALLISTIC RATED) CVC shell at a Flea Market for 5$, that's what I did. Put in an Oregon Aero suspension and pad system, threw on a Mitchell pattern cover with rails and poo poo, and done. Total cost was like under 200$ between buying used and some airsoft poo poo. I don't have NODs, so the knock off chinesium NODs mount holds my go pro fine.

Will it work? Probably as well as my ACH or PAGST. Am I worried about it? No.

What's the new hotness on slings. I'm familiar with VTAC, Blue Force, Magpul, all the old standbys (I haven't had to buy a sling in a couple years). I'd prefer a convertible 2-1 point set up, and I don't want to drop like 75$ on a sling.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I like my Magpul sling other than the lack of bands to retain the excess tail on the straps. Could probably just trim them, though.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The hottest sling is the Ferro Concepts slingster. Stupid lightweight & slim.

Nobody really does 2-1 point setups, though a simple adapter from Blue Force Gear or Impact Weapons Group should do what you're asking for if you use QD attachment points (which you should).

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The hottest sling is the Ferro Concepts slingster. Stupid lightweight & slim.

Nobody really does 2-1 point setups, though a simple adapter from Blue Force Gear or Impact Weapons Group should do what you're asking for if you use QD attachment points (which you should).

Real question- what does that bring to the table that a VTAC doesn't? Just going off pics, it doesn't look like it brings much to the table that a VTAC doesn't, and that costs like 20$ more, and I'm a broke bitch who just built a thalidomide AR pistol.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The quick adjustment handle on the Ferro Concepts Slingster is faster IMO, and being thinner & lighter compared to the padded VTAC is something. Also the Slingster is available in MultiCam Black (and M81 Woodland if you were lucky to jump on their secret promotion), which is a selling point for some people.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Thanks for the input- I'm still shopping, but for now the thing has a Vickers with HK gatehooks.

I really wish I would have gotten one of the slings made by a Grunt in another company. 1 inch tubular nylon, quick adjust, and had a bungie cord section.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

If you pick up that Impact Weapons Group 2-to-1 sling adapter I linked to earlier you can use it on your Vickers sling.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

If you pick up that Impact Weapons Group 2-to-1 sling adapter I linked to earlier you can use it on your Vickers sling.

I was looking at that last night, but since I hadn't decided on a sling, I just favorited it. I think I might end up making my own again. A few tri glides, some webbing and a ruck adjuster makes for an old school quick adjust. But I've dumped enough money into this, it deserves a real sling. And it seemed like every single one I looked at was 60$+, and that much on a general purpose sling seems morally objectionable.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Double post, technically-

Is anyone running 20 round lancers? If so, what do you use for pouches/gear/webbing solutions.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Double post, technically-

Is anyone running 20 round lancers? If so, what do you use for pouches/gear/webbing solutions.

Shirt kywi pouches work well for them. In fact they work well for everything and are my go to now.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 10, 2020

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Atticus_1354 posted:

Shirt kywi pouches work well for them. In fact they work well for everything and are my go to now.

Good looking out. I know they will work with my Tacos, but I like have individual web gear for different poo poo, and since this is for my 300 BLK, I want to make sure that there is no peskiness about.

E- I'm also giving a lot of thought to a BAR belt.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 11, 2020

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Maybe I'm just not searching for the right thing, but where can I find the net used to reinforce this camo net?

Just the 2" chain link looking netting? I'd like it in tan, or maybe OD, and it's for an 8'x10' camo net. I just can't find anything in the dimensions I need OR the colors I'd like.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Soccer netting and a bottle of rite dye?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Wa11y posted:

Maybe I'm just not searching for the right thing, but where can I find the net used to reinforce this camo net?

Just the 2" chain link looking netting? I'd like it in tan, or maybe OD, and it's for an 8'x10' camo net. I just can't find anything in the dimensions I need OR the colors I'd like.

For all your netting needs as long as it's black, white, blue or yellow (white with RIT dye from here is probably what you want): https://www.gourock.com/netting-square-foot.html

This is the right color but grid size is smaller: https://www.netsandmore.com/125-pro...70-camo-netting

You can get brown for 15% more with the hand rail nets listed here: https://www.netsandmore.com/product...netting-in-bulk

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

My Hoplite/LTC 26605's (large swimmer cut) came in.

Each plate is almost 7lbs.

In comparison, my Team Wendy training plates are just over 5lbs.

I put my plates in my Crye CPC… and I can tell the 2lb difference in weight. Just prancing about in my house with my real plates was pretty tiring in a short time.

Now I got buyer's remorse & pondering my options:
-Sell plates at a loss, buy Hesco L210's (5.5lbs each, special threat rated).
-Sell plates at a loss, save up & buy Hesco 3810's (3.5lbs each, level III+ rated).
-Keep plates, do more exercises to become stronger to hump armor around (suggestions on exercises to help in this appreciated).

What say you, goons?

If it's anything I'm likely going to get a lighter plate carrier down the road like a Crye Airlite SPC, so that will help a bit.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

sell them all to me at a loss

FauxhawkSatan
Mar 27, 2010

Check out RMA plates, their III+ multi-curve plates weigh a little over 5lbs and are much cheaper than the 3810 plates.

https://rmadefense.com/product/leve...-nij-07-tested/

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

FauxhawkSatan posted:

Check out RMA plates, their III+ multi-curve plates weigh a little over 5lbs and are much cheaper than the 3810 plates.

https://rmadefense.com/product/leve...-nij-07-tested/

I know it's pedantic but I kinda want shooter/swimmer cut plates.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

I know it's pedantic but I kinda want shooter/swimmer cut plates.

Check here if you haven't - a little old but should help give you a starting point. The Botach plates a few of us bought were 6lb level 4 but SAPI cut.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Thanks for the link. I've been using this guide from Reddit to help in my decision making.

After trying my plates on again I think I'm getting over the initial shock of their weight and I think I'll keep them. One thing I'm definitely doing is getting that Crye Airlite SPC as I realized all my carriers are sized large and I should be really using a medium at most.

Shedman
Apr 3, 2007

Thanks for the link. I've been using this guide from Reddit to help in my decision making.

After trying my plates on again I think I'm getting over the initial shock of their weight and I think I'll keep them. One thing I'm definitely doing is getting that Crye Airlite SPC as I realized all my carriers are sized large and I should be really using a medium at most.

I work in the industry and that Reddit guide is surprisingly good.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

You work in the body armor industry? Neat. I'm sure I'll come up with more questions to pester you with when I start using this more.

I've been getting healthier for an old goon and now I'm thinking of exercises that would be good to make it easier to carry all this weight around. I hear running is solid for overall cardio/endurance, but what other strength training should one do to make wearing plates not suck so much?

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Squats and lunges.

Burpees if you hate yourself.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Akion posted:

Squats and lunges.

Burpees if you hate yourself.

I do hate myself, so burpees it is then.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I do hate myself, so burpees it is then.

Do it wearing your armor too for added weight/muscle training

I do that for pull ups and dips every week cause I'm doing it in the house anyways and who cares, why buy a weighted vest when I have my kit on hand already.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Oh, I thought the PC was implied.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Ugh, pullups are my weak spot (aside from running) as my upper body just doesn't like getting stronger compared to my lower body. Squats can be done all day, but military presses & bicep curls are stupidly terrible.

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?

Ugh, pullups are my weak spot (aside from running) as my upper body just doesn't like getting stronger compared to my lower body. Squats can be done all day, but military presses & bicep curls are stupidly terrible.

I hear ya on the pullups. Push ups, squats, running, etc are not much of a problem for me and I enjoy doing those with my plate carrier. But man, pullups have just never been my thing.

As far as plates, I'm using RMA 1155s that I got from my department. They are chunky to say the least. I've got some Hesco 4400 SAPI cut large and a JPC 2.0 on order but who knows when they'll get here. I've been using a medium carrier since that's what my plates are but based on measurements, large would suit me better..

BrianM87 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I hate pullups but love climbing at the gym. Sadly, they'd probably get annoyed by me doing so in a plate carrier.

«11 »