Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«11 »
Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Here are some gear pictures to resurrect this thread

Stuff I own

Stuff that was issued

Size comparison of Howard Leights and MSA Sordin Pro X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Other than playing audio from your phone (very quietly in my experience (or was I just doubled up on ear pro and don't remember?)), is the external jack on the Howards useful for anything? Like for comms, your mic would have to be a separate cable to your radio.

Also, I want to buy a plate carrier and plates SO BAD, but I'm still working on losing weight, and I know it would just be soldier cosplay, so I can't really justify the cost.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Wa11y posted:

Other than playing audio from your phone (very quietly in my experience (or was I just doubled up on ear pro and don't remember?)), is the external jack on the Howards useful for anything? Like for comms, your mic would have to be a separate cable to your radio.

Also, I want to buy a plate carrier and plates SO BAD, but I'm still working on losing weight, and I know it would just be soldier cosplay, so I can't really justify the cost.

The jack is kinda useless. The volume cant overcome doubled up earpro and it cuts out with the noise gate, so unless you are shooting slowly and alone, you get a constant roller coaster of sound.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames

Fun Shoe

Boy that's good to know because I just got some Amazon warehouse ones and the drat hole won't grip a headphone input for poo poo .

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

I keep seeing what I presume are targeted ads on Facebook for body armor in everything from plate carriers to hoodies.

If I'm being honest, I wouldn't mind having one for the same reason I keep a bunch of dried goods in my pantry. But Jesus, I have better stuff to spend my money on. Also, Facebook?! Who thought to advertise there for gun stuff?

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

stealie72 posted:

The jack is kinda useless. The volume cant overcome doubled up earpro and it cuts out with the noise gate, so unless you are shooting slowly and alone, you get a constant roller coaster of sound.

Glad I'm not alone in coming to that determination.

Captain Log posted:

I keep seeing what I presume are targeted ads on Facebook for body armor in everything from plate carriers to hoodies.

If I'm being honest, I wouldn't mind having one for the same reason I keep a bunch of dried goods in my pantry. But Jesus, I have better stuff to spend my money on. Also, Facebook?! Who thought to advertise there for gun stuff?

Yeah, that's the same reason I want to buy armor, but there's other, more reasonable, things I can spend my money on that won't be for extreme edge cases.

And of course Facebook will advertise gun stuff. They love money more than they love having principles.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Funny enough that Facebook will take corporate ad money for gun poo poo but try being in a buy/sell/trade and exchanging wares gets you in hot water.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Howard Leights have pretty low-tier electronics all around. They work, but compared to any other product on the market they leave a lot to be desired. Which is why I've got a set of Comtac 3s mounted on my Airframe now.

Wa11y posted:

And of course Facebook will advertise gun stuff. They love money more than they love having principles.

Facebook has admitted that they'll let the Trump Campaign knowingly lie in their ads, they're not exactly a pinnacle of ethical practice.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames

Fun Shoe

For what it's worth if you're on a budget and want quality without the hassle of trawling ebay, bulletproofme.com (Armorup LP) is good.

Very old school site, super knowledgeable guy and very communicative at every step of sizing and fitting.

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along

Is there any word on shellback brand plate carriers? If they're a step above Condor that's good enough for me.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

They're good. AFAIK they were used by Aussies in the early-mid 2000's. Newer tech means there are better products on the market in terms of weight & doodads, but it's a solid carrier.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Is there any word on shellback brand plate carriers? If they're a step above Condor that's good enough for me.

I've been trying one out for a couple weeks now and I'm pretty happy with it. It hasn't seen a ton of use so far, but it does seem well made.

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

I got a Banshee 2.0 to replace my old carrier from work. The shellback is significantly more comfortable in every way. My only complaint with it is the admin pouch directly above the kangaroo pouch. If the admin is full it's harder to pull mags from the kangaroo pouch. Works fine if they are in separate molle pouches on the front of the kangaroo pouch though.

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

I have absolutely need for a plate carrier or plates... but I still want one.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

I have absolutely need for a plate carrier or plates... but I still want one.

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?

Go for it and get one then. Mine probably won't be used in a working capacity any time soon, but I like it for training classes and armored competitions. And once a week I use it as a make shift weight vest for cardio.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Mine gets used for 3gun, pull ups and dips at this point.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Plate carriers are useful. I have a MSA Paraclete carrier that I found at an antique mall in Vegas for 70$.

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

How should I size one? I'm pretty drat thin, but I think I want the plate to go from just below my collar bone to just below navel.

Do you size them based on you torso length and not girth?

DEAD GAY FORUM fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 19, 2019

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Googling real quick for a decent fitting guide found me this https://www.skdtac.com/Articles.asp?ID=317

If nobody else has before tonight Iíll try to do a more in depth write up of what I know, though thereís definitely other posters who are more knowledgeable on this than I am.

Below the navel is going to be way too long and probably also too wide, especially if youíre smaller framed. Iím 5í7Ē and have a 40-44Ē chest depending on time of year and I go with medium SAPIs. I could probably get away with small but the mediums were what I was issued first and I havenít had issues with that size so Iíve stuck with it.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

How should I size one? I'm pretty drat thin, but I think I want the plate to go from just below my collar bone to just below navel.

Do you size them based on you tires length and not girth?

Because I wear a duty belt, I generally aim for the navel; any longer and the plate carrier interferes with the belt when I sit down or crouch.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Wizard posted:

Below the navel is going to be way too long and probably also too wide, especially if you’re smaller framed. I’m 5’7” and have a 40-44” chest depending on time of year and I go with medium SAPIs. I could probably get away with small but the mediums were what I was issued first and I haven’t had issues with that size so I’ve stuck with it.

poo poo I'm 6'1" and one of my sets of plates are M. It doesn't quite provide the coverage of my Ls, but is more comfortable if I'm wearing it for long days.

Jugular notch or just below the notch to bellybutton is about what I aim for. And I personally prefer to err on the side of it being small vs big. You don't want it too long or too high, it will ride up and jam you in the throat when you're sitting. That sucks.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I believe the current style for sizing plates is below the jugular notch to the bottom of your ribs. Abdomen is left open for mobility & if you want more protection they make panels that can be attached.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

I believe the current style for sizing plates is below the jugular notch to the bottom of your ribs. Abdomen is left open for mobility & if you want more protection they make panels that can be attached.

That's about how my M pair fits me and it's probably my favorite to wear for long shifts.

Here's one of my larges for example. (Sorry, apparently the photo my phone took is too big for the Awful app to upload even after cropping). My L fits from about half an inch below jugular notch to half an inch above the navel. I wouldn't want to go any bigger than that.

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

Duty belt wearers, does anyone know if a steel core, leather, 2.25Ē duty belt exists?( probably not)

Iím tired of my mags folding my floppy bullshit duty belt.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Started wearing my steel plates again. Feels good, man.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

Started wearing my steel plates again. Feels good, man.

I understand if you want to be vague, but I have a question.

I know you are in law enforcement around borders. Are plate carriers a normal part of your job? Do you run in to pretty dangerous poo poo? Or is the plate carrier thing just personal preference and safety.

( I always thought you were closer to the snowy borders, not the Sinaloa and Zeta filled borders. )

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Yeah but Canadians are always trying to sneak black market maple syrup into the US

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

beanieson posted:

Yeah but Canadians are always trying to sneak black market maple syrup into the US

I've been watching a Youtube channel of a psych person with a criminal justice background breaking down police interviews.

The "interrogations" in Canada are a trip to watch. They are more effective. They are so nice in their questioning nobody knows when to shut up.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Captain Log posted:

I've been watching a Youtube channel of a psych person with a criminal justice background breaking down police interviews.

The "interrogations" in Canada are a trip to watch. They are more effective. They are so nice in their questioning nobody knows when to shut up.

Probably not the right thread for it, but yeah, good interrogators arenít slamming phone books and shouting and poo poo. I bring coffee, food, cigarettes, I talk about myself and my kid and whatever else this person might relate to because I want them to like me. Iíve sat across from murderers for hours at a time and gotten information because sometimes they just want a friend to talk to while in the horrible situation of being caught.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

beanieson posted:

Probably not the right thread for it, but yeah, good interrogators arenít slamming phone books and shouting and poo poo. I bring coffee, food, cigarettes, I talk about myself and my kid and whatever else this person might relate to because I want them to like me. Iíve sat across from murderers for hours at a time and gotten information because sometimes they just want a friend to talk to while in the horrible situation of being caught.

We need a thread for you to talk more about this. It is beyond interesting to me.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Tl;Dr: People be dumb.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, as they say.

Captain Log posted:

Are plate carriers a normal part of your job? Do you run in to pretty dangerous poo poo? Or is the plate carrier thing just personal preference and safety.

Mostly personal preference. I generally wear soft armor because the carrier lets me mount more crap to it. I can put a plate in there with the soft armor, but in my experience it's too much weight (with steel plates) or too much bulk (with composite plates). So I typically run a separate plate carrier and throw it on in higher risk situations. I'm running the steel right now just to toughen myself up a bit. I was sick for a couple weeks and lost a lot of strength, so I'm forcing myself to carry 30 pounds of steel on my body, or whatever it actually weighs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

beanieson posted:

Probably not the right thread for it, but yeah, good interrogators arenít slamming phone books

Captain Log posted:

We need a thread for you to talk more about this. It is beyond interesting to me.

FYI Iím broadly OK with cop chat in this thread. This needs to be a gear thread first and foremost and Iím wary of having an explicit cop thread based on how thatís gone in GiP, but if people can be cool I can too. TFR is a land of derails, etc.

Basically Iím a Berkeley cop and youíre all smoking a joint in the park. Feel me?

Edit: any LEO types who want to chat about this PM me.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

My plate carrier setup. Scalable Plate Carrier has held up over a lot of deployments and field ops. I recently changed out the cummerbund and plate pockets for an MTV cummerbund and USMC Plate Carrier side plate pouches. It keeps the plates right against the body instead of sagging away.

Old setup

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, as they say.

Mostly personal preference. I generally wear soft armor because the carrier lets me mount more crap to it. I can put a plate in there with the soft armor, but in my experience it's too much weight (with steel plates) or too much bulk (with composite plates). So I typically run a separate plate carrier and throw it on in higher risk situations. I'm running the steel right now just to toughen myself up a bit. I was sick for a couple weeks and lost a lot of strength, so I'm forcing myself to carry 30 pounds of steel on my body, or whatever it actually weighs.

I'd wear armor if I did your job, too.

At the northern border, what are the high risk situations you have to handle?

beanieson posted:

Probably not the right thread for it, but yeah, good interrogators aren’t slamming phone books and shouting and poo poo. I bring coffee, food, cigarettes, I talk about myself and my kid and whatever else this person might relate to because I want them to like me. I’ve sat across from murderers for hours at a time and gotten information because sometimes they just want a friend to talk to while in the horrible situation of being caught.

I've always been a firm believer in the Three Ds of conflict resolution - Diplomacy, diplomacy, and diplomacy. Is that a major part of your job?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

I'd wear armor if I did your job, too.

At the northern border, what are the high risk situations you have to handle?

Most commonly, we'll get lookouts for high-risk individuals headed for the border, so we'll gear up and wait for them to show up. Car thieves, kidnappers, home invaders, pharmacy robbers, you name it. Occasionally an actual murder suspect.

Every once in a while my team is asked to be a force multiplier for event security or for a task force raid, etc. We don't do any raids ourselves, but we're there to back up the task force guys in case things go sideways.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Captain Log posted:

Whenever I went through Israel they were very personable about asking invasive questions in a way nobody else was - except the Canadians.

beanieson posted:

Probably not the right thread for it, but yeah, good interrogators aren’t slamming phone books and shouting and poo poo. I bring coffee, food, cigarettes, I talk about myself and my kid and whatever else this person might relate to because I want them to like me. I’ve sat across from murderers for hours at a time and gotten information because sometimes they just want a friend to talk to while in the horrible situation of being caught.

Please post more about this utterly fascinating subject.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I've had dudes shake my hand as they were going to jail, just because I treated them like a human being.

Obviously not everyone responds to being treated decently, but a lot of folks do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Captain Log posted:

I've always been a firm believer in the Three Ds of conflict resolution - Diplomacy, diplomacy, and diplomacy. Is that a major part of your job?

Oh absolutely, Iíve always prided myself on being the guy who can deescalate a situation. If I show up, Iím usually the one cop the uncooperative people are willing to talk to and I think itís just my demeanor. All of it has to do with being able to work with other people on all levels, from coworkers, to victims, and suspects. Like IR35 said, honey vs vinegar and all.

I had a murder trial about a year ago and the guy was convicted & sentenced to life. I stay in touch with the victims mother, we talk regularly, Iíll text her family pictures and that kind of stuff. You really get close to a family when you do this all the way through a trial, because they get to see how much work went into an investigation that way. But I also hear from the suspects mom sometimes. She had the same experience sitting through that trial, she lost a son in much the same way as the victims family. I got a card from her on Fatherís Day this year. She thanked me for getting him off the streets, and treating him like a person. She said she was hopeful heíd find some kind of redemption in prison, and was upset she couldnít do more for him prior to the murder. So now we talk sometimes too 🤷🏻‍♂️

I feel like a drat therapist occasionally but if you can just be a decent person and listen to people you gain all the respect/loyalty in the world.

«11 »