Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«11 »
tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for the ideas there Ceros.

hypnophant posted:

This one's exactly 10*6*5
https://www.theemsstore.com/mobile/...cue-Fanny-Pack/

This one's 17*7*10
https://www.theemsstore.com/mobile/...o-Response-Bag/

I would suggest not getting a hard-sided case because it won't have any organization in it. On the day you actually need to use one of these things, you'll want to know exactly where your gear is in the bag and how to get to it in the least amount of time and loving around. A bunch of stuff crammed into a box doesn't help with that.

Ended up measuring today and I was a bit high on my numbers, currently I have a 8.5x3.5x7 setup so I'm going to try the 10x6x5 you linked and see how that does for me. You're totally right about organization, I might end up playing around with it for a bit and possibly buying a few more things to fill it out and then throw a post up on it. Semi-relatedly I made a big post a few years back about a car survival kit that I wish I could retrieve, I think it was a pretty useful write up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

tangy yet delightful posted:

Thanks for the ideas there Ceros.

Ended up measuring today and I was a bit high on my numbers, currently I have a 8.5x3.5x7 setup so I'm going to try the 10x6x5 you linked and see how that does for me. You're totally right about organization, I might end up playing around with it for a bit and possibly buying a few more things to fill it out and then throw a post up on it. Semi-relatedly I made a big post a few years back about a car survival kit that I wish I could retrieve, I think it was a pretty useful write up

If you want some empty North American Rescue medic bags for cheapish let me know, I have a few floating around. Also is this the post:

tangy yet delightful posted:

Echoing Craptacular. You can spend as much money as you want gaming for infinite scenarios but off the top of my head I would say you want [in addition to normal car stuff like spare, jack, jumper cables] blankets, gloves, hat, some bottled water, some snickers bars, you could separately have a first aid kit (by this I mean there aren't car specific injuries), toss in some 55 gal drum liners for poncho, sleeping bag uses.

I don't live in snow land but maybe you also want a shovel and some bags of sand + plywood sheets to get your car unstuck?

You could buy spare cellphone batteries but a car charger to run off your car battery would probably be best since batteries sitting in a cold car are going to die from months or years of not being charged and then you need them and...

edit: Duh get a whistle and a flashlight (that kit did jog my memory), the whistle should be plastic and pealess, amazon has a bunch. The flashlight should be an actual good one (Fenix, Streamlight, Maglite) with some spare batteries.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Looks like NA Rescue makes a bunch of bags, not sure which one(s) you've got but post em up?

That post is closer than I've found in my history but the one I made was I think in a gear thread and it had more details and pictures. But what's weird is I don't have any saved pics on my comp that I can find so there's a 1% chance that I just made the whole thing up in my head.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Is the Inforce WML the best option for an AR-15? The TLR-1 I had on it has stopped working well enough to be reliable.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

charliebravo77 posted:

Is the Inforce WML the best option for an AR-15? The TLR-1 I had on it has stopped working well enough to be reliable.

I had an Inforce light on my scorpion for about 3 months and in that time it ate half a dozen batteries while just sitting dormant. Its a known defect apparently and they agreed to fix the issue but it really soured me on the idea of using that light. Id leave it in my truck for sometimes as little as 2-3 days and a brand new battery would be dead when I needed the weapon.

I have a crimson trace light on there now with no issues, and a TLR-1 HL on my M4.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I had similar issues with the WMLx gen 1, but the WMLx gen 2 is a lot better.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I use Surefires and any time I had issues they'd RMA it. Took time, but when I did they'd give me the latest version. For example I had a M952V that stopped working & they sent me the brand new version that is more or less their Scout series with the new, smaller Vampire head.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

charliebravo77 posted:

In force is one of the worst options. Best is subjective but the OWL and Modlites are current kings. I love my modlite enough that I am buying a second for another gun. If you're looking budget get the streamlight rail mount and a good scout mount.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Glad I asked. Went ahead and just ordered a TLR-1HL with pressure switch kit. Seems like the reasonable solution.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

No where else to share this, but I wanted to share somewhere where someone might care.

Just got a screaming deal on an Eagle Harris Assault vest. It's dumb and useless, but I've always wanted one.

If it was one of you that took my eBay offer, I'm sorry that I screwed you, but you accepted. I didn't think you would. :-)

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Bumping this because we're having a gear chat in the deals thread and it's kinda making finding deals hard.

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

botach battle steel level iv 10x12" plate review

each plate costs $99. the plate is .8" thick, 9.5x11.5", single-curve, and weighs a little under 5.7#:

here's the weight with 2 plates in a ferro slickster:

ceros, dr. awesome, fang, miso, and i got some plates from botach and we decided to chip in to buy a spare plate to test. we chose one from random and shot it from 10 feet with:

7.62 m80 from a 14.5" barrel
5.56 m855a1 from an 18" barrel
6.5 grendel 123gr eld-m from a 12" barrel
6.5 swede 139gr fmj yugo ppu from a 29.1" barrel
.45 230gr fmj
9mm 115gr fmj
hella rounds of .22lr

short version: it stopped all the rifle rifle rounds when they impacted uncompromised armor (fresh ceramic that wasn't cracked). great value, not bad at all to wear for long periods, good protection

long version: level iv armor is supposed to offer multi-hit capability against m2 ap @ 2880fps +-30fps. botach's website says these plates offer multi-hit capability against "m80 ap" and "m855 green tip ap". on youtube, mrgunsngear shot the battle steel level iv plate with m2 ap from a 1903a4 and got no pass-through. everything else he shot was stopped. buffman shot it with m2 ap @ 2849fps and with what he calls m2 ap +p+, which is m2 ap @ 3086fps, and both were stopped. m993 was the only ammo buffman shot that got through clearly on uncompromised armor (as did m855a1, but that was close to the edge so he didn't count it). m993 is tungsten core 7.62x51 and costs $20/rd on gunbroker so it's probably not something you would encounter normally. the youtube tests showed that it could stop multiple hits with m2 ap and be considered level iv but we wanted to see how a random plate a person purchased would fare. we decided to test it against a variety of ammo, with the worst case realistically being m855a1 from a longer barrel at cqb distance.

we shot it with 1-3 rounds of each type of ammo, except .22lr where we went crazy and shot like 80 rounds at just the polyethylene backer in a tight impact zone. like i mentioned in the short version, every round that had uncompromised armor was stopped. the only rounds that managed to make it through were m855a1 that was stacked on top of the impact from another m855a1 round, and a 6.5 swede round that was on top of another m855a1 round. we were all impressed by its performance and felt it was a really good value. here's a picture of the plate as we conducted testing:

and here's the plate closer to the end:

californiasushi fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 16, 2020

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

I got bored at 80 rounds of 22 in the same impact hole.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

God I hope we can shoot reactive targets and similar poo poo whenever the Portland meet happens. I have a lot of carry ammo to cycle out and it would be fun to run experiments.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

It was especially nice to see the reliability of the plate because all plates came from the same lot and we're bought at the same time, so we knew the plates from our lot were gtg.

Ceros_X fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 16, 2020

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

Huh, I may need to look into those. I'm currently running RMA 1145s and the idea of saving 4.4 lbs is pretty appealing.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Sorry if I missed it, what did you put behind the plate for the testing, or was it free-standing/hanging?

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

It was duct taped to a dead tree

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

sushi you were supposed to tell them I wore it for the first shot

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Ah cool, gotcha.

That's some impressive results for such a light load. Might have to get some of my own down the road.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Captain Log posted:

God I hope we can shoot reactive targets and similar poo poo whenever the Portland meet happens. I have a lot of carry ammo to cycle out and it would be fun to run experiments.

I have steel targets we can shoot. Also a small container of tannerite if we're feeling like seeing something go boom.

As for those Botach plates, I'm glad your batch held up to personal testing with various rounds. For me, products having consistent & repeatable verification/certification for things that I want to protect me is a factor when choosing stuff to spend my on.

I'm about to buy a bike helmet so now I'm going on a deep dive on impact ratings before making a purchase.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm about to buy a bike helmet so now I'm going on a deep dive on impact ratings before making a purchase.

Any of the big brands will be perfectly adequate. The biggest difference in helmets from one end of the price spectrum to the other is airflow and weight. I am a big fan of the POC Octal, but anything from Giro, POC, Specialized or Bell will be good. The more you spend the lighter it will be and generally speaking the better airflow it will have. Check out last year's models and weird color combos for extra savings.

For instance, I got last year's model of this for my brother for xmas and it was ~$70 https://www.competitivecyclist.com/...mips-helmet?s=a

For $100 this would be a good buy: https://www.nashbar.com/lazer-blade...891274?v=881975

Signing up for their email newsletter gets you 20% off at Competitive Cyclist (same deal with Backcountry.com), too

That gets you this for ~$152 which seems like a solid deal https://www.competitivecyclist.com/...mNjQ2F0MTAwMDUz

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Anyone here have or played with the Spiritus Bank Robber rig? Been debating trying a rig vs. belt to see what I like and it seems like a decent minimalist rig.

Between that or just getting a decent carrier in case I decide I want plates for some reason.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Akion posted:

Anyone here have or played with the Spiritus Bank Robber rig? Been debating trying a rig vs. belt to see what I like and it seems like a decent minimalist rig.

Between that or just getting a decent carrier in case I decide I want plates for some reason.
with the price of plates Im in team always have plates.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yeah I figure if something real world is bad enough that you want to strap multiple rifle mags on your person, it's probably bad enough you want plates too.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I was mostly looking at getting into some of the more organized shooting stuff like 3-gun. Are plates a good idea there due to idiocy or?

Who do ya'll like for plates/carriers? I see ads for AR500armor a lot.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I wear plates to 3-gun but admittedly I'm a complete idiot. The majority of people don't, unless if they're going to some big match that has a trooper class.

My favorite PC is the SOHPC.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

The Botach Battle Steel level IV plates for $99 each are good. Also RMA defense is cheap and good but heavy. I'd skip AR500 personally

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

What's a decent rig? I've heard good things about Crye but I think they're pretty pricey, too? I guess you get what you pay for.

The Rat posted:

I wear plates to 3-gun but admittedly I'm a complete idiot. The majority of people don't, unless if they're going to some big match that has a trooper class.

My favorite PC is the SOHPC.

Ah, just saw this recco. I'll check it out. Maybe spend some funbux on it.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Absolutely don't buy anything from AR500 unless you want to wear a plate that is going to send bullet shrapnel flying at your groin and/or face if it does get shot. They're also not certified to any sort of standard.

Crye can be pricey but the JPC is fairly inexpensive. It's got almost no padding on it though.

Wearing plates to a 3gun match can be a fun added challenge but the added weight and bulk is definitely going to be a handicap. Nobody serious about being competitive is going to be wearing them to a match.

Unless it's one of the specific matches that requires plates because of the added challenge, I guess.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Aikon, if you're looking for a chest rig the new hotness is a minimalist system that can be turned into a placard for a plate carrier. Since you mentioned Spiritus Systems their Micro Fight Chassis Mk4 is well-regarded for its modularity, though you'll need to buy components piecemeal to get what you want. Then if you do want to eventually add armor you could get something like the LV-119 plate carrier.

There are other companies that make small chest rigs that can integrate with plate carriers. Off the top of my head, there's the Haley Strategic D3CRM Micro, the RDR Gear MCP, and the aforementioned Spiritus Systems. Plate carriers that can easily integrate with these chest rigs include selections from Spiritus Systems, Ferro Concepts, and Crye Precision. Even if you get an older rig there are ways to get those new chest rigs to integrate (AXL Advanced makes some products).

I've been a big fan of Crye stuff and owned/still own several of their carriers (JPC, CPC, AVS). I'm thinking of getting an Airlite SPC in the future if I can.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Akion posted:

Anyone here have or played with the Spiritus Bank Robber rig?

I used it as my primary for a couple competitions. Pros are that it is lightweight and holds very close to the body. If you run less mags then the other pouches lay flat which is nice when crawling under fences and through makeshift tunnels. The biggest con is that you will absolutely not be reinserting anything with any amount of speed. You should absolutely buy it. Run it for a while and then see what features you wish you had later.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I'm slowly adding to my PC, and the next thing I'm looking for is radio/PTT equipment. I've got some Baofeng radios (that I'm not gonna use until I get my Technician licence) but Peltors are $LOL$ money so I'm trying to figure out a way to use my regular earpro but still have PTT capability. A friend suggested throat mics as a compromise between shoulder mics and full on Peltors, should I be wary of anything?

For example, was looking at this off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIPK6U...lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

If you have the go-to-goon standard Howard Leight Impact Sport earpro, just get a Baofeng/Kenwood-style hand mic that has a 3.5mm jack & a male-to-male connector.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse posted:

If you have the go-to-goon standard Howard Leight Impact Sport earpro, just get a Baofeng/Kenwood-style hand mic that has a 3.5mm jack & a male-to-male connector.

Just so happens I do. Didn't think a handmic would be as good, but that's probably the best option you're right.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Yeah, integrating comms into a headset isn't cheap. You could get some cheap Airsoft stuff but I have no idea if its sound-reduction quality actually works.

Alternatively you could splurge on a real headset & find some impedence-correcting PTT to work with your Baofeng/civilian radio, but it sounds like you already have most of a working setup so I'd just get a handmic.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

You're gonna be a lot happier saving up and getting a set of used comtacs or something than trying to kludge together a setup using howard leights

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Internet Wizard posted:

You're gonna be a lot happier saving up and getting a set of used comtacs or something than trying to kludge together a setup using howard leights

True, but be advised that the Comtac market's been consistently around $250-$500+ depending on model & condition, and that's before you get a impedence-matching PTT to work with your civilian radio. I have noticed MSA Sordins going for cheaper but they will often be using the maritime LEMO plug instead of the NATO ones you'll find on Comtacs.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Internet Wizard posted:

Absolutely don't buy anything from AR500 unless you want to wear a plate that is going to send bullet shrapnel flying at your groin and/or face if it does get shot. They're also not certified to any sort of standard.

Crye can be pricey but the JPC is fairly inexpensive. It's got almost no padding on it though.

Wearing plates to a 3gun match can be a fun added challenge but the added weight and bulk is definitely going to be a handicap. Nobody serious about being competitive is going to be wearing them to a match.

Unless it's one of the specific matches that requires plates because of the added challenge, I guess.

Eh, gonna disagree with this. AR500Armor.com's steel plates have been tested to NIJ stabdards at H.P. White's facility, they have copies of all the testing reports here.

It used to be LINEX or whatever (the bed liner was), but now it is called PAXCON or whatnot. You can get an extra layer applied to your plates (adds more weight, extra cost) that is supposed to better protect you from spall (think the default use is OK personally). The way most people test spall prevention (that I've seen) is to put cardboard on all sides (left right top and bottom so that it overhangs the plate) of the plate and then shoot it and check for perforation of the cardboard. If there is none, then you as a wearer should also not be penetrated etc.

Here is one the mfg did for best video quality but there are other people who have tested different mfgs in similar ways. It is also abated by a few levels of kevlar in front.

https://youtu.be/ZxkJM1elAyc

The issue with AR500 plates, IMO, is that they are heavier than most level IV ceramic plates but offer less protection. AR500 stuff only goes up to Level III+ (an industry standard, not a NIJ one) which means M855 and M193 at some speed in addition to the level III standard certification. This is called 'special threat certification'. The NIJ Level III doest test M193 or M855 (or any form of .223 and 5.56) and there was an issue where plates would pass the NIJ testing but fail to stop these more common rounds because it wasnt in the testing standard - this was back around 2009ish and DocGKR did a huge writeup here about how this wasn't covered in the standard M4C Link

Also most AR500 manufacturers limit the velocity that their plates are tested at to around 3100-3200fps, higher fps impacts (3300+) from M193 can cause problems (some say down to 3000 fps but most pass through I've seen are higher).

UHDPE (Ultra High Density Polyethylene) is hosed up by M855 and obviously isn't a steel plate.

AR500 is good for repeated shots in the same spot (unlike ceramic plates - when we did our testing the only pass throughs were shots on top of shots of M855A1) but sucks because there is nothing that is steel at the Level IV rating and also because they are heavy as poo poo. You don't have to worry about them cracking from rough handling (a concern for ceramic plates, though I haven't seen it in the Corps) or aging from sun exposure (UHDPE). At the price point I'd chose a cheaper IV ceramic plate over III+ steel, but AR500 isn't straight trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lack of cracking is why I keep an AR500 III+ LW plate in my backpack. I figure the my Mac and lunch coupled with the plate give a fighting chance of making it to cover against most common threats.

«11 »