Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

The Lone Badger posted:

Can't you buy bullets from the libyans?

I added the price calc to my post, with the answer being "technicaly, yes"

senrath posted:

Even better, it makes you insane unless you kill another PC or just walk away, but you're only told about the former option. So it's not just going for "hah, you have to do something stupid and drastic!" it's going for "that stupid and drastic thing we convinced you to do was utterly pointless!"

And for the PC killing solution, how would the PCs know that it's even an option in-world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

6.9 x 42.0mm or whatever custom calibre the italics invented shouldn't be that much harder to make than ak ammo. All you need is exactly the same things you'd need for the ak ammo plus some spent trailblazer brass.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

JcDent posted:

They bAlaNcE it by giving you almost no ammo. At best, you get +5 rounds/month at the starting level, then +10 at Corporal (oh, and ONE FREE UPGRADE TO THE TRAILBLAZER), and +20 if you (can) go Grenadier (ALSO A LEVEL 2 UPGRADE FOR TRAILBLAZER, whatever that means).

E: I think Verena is only Rank 2 and she has Resources 2, which gives her the starting funds of 200 CD. Now, I don't remember if ammo is bought round-by-round or in batches, but Trailblazer fodder costs 80 per.

Here's the funny thing. Modding your trailblazer to take 5.56 ammo doesn't decrease its damage or anything, as HF Full Jacket ammo's supposed benefits are only a fluff thing and not represented by any rules, so you might as well do that. Its cheaper and used by the Scourgers, so its really easy to acquire. Hell, if the PCs just finished The Killing Game there's several hundred dead Scourgers you could roll for ammo.

For some reason rules for making your ammo don't exist, which is odd. You think that'd be pretty important in the post-apocalypse. Its fairly easy to do, with what's essentially a portable tool and the parts you could make your own on the go.

Edit: Its also not restricted, so buying it is easy enough. There's also plenty of chances to get rich during these adventures. One big score could set you up with enough ammo for a hundred fights.

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 12, 2021

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

6.9 x 42.0mm or whatever custom calibre the italics invented shouldn't be that much harder to make than ak ammo. All you need is exactly the same things you'd need for the ak ammo plus some spent trailblazer brass.

I don't exactly know if you can make ammo yourself, lol. Also, it should be harder due to HF ammo needing ~~teflon~ coating.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Hipster Occultist posted:

Here's the funny thing. Modding your trailblazer to take 5.56 ammo doesn't decrease its damage or anything, as HF Full Jacket ammo's supposed benefits are only a fluff thing and not represented by any rules, so you might as well do that. Its cheaper and used by the Scourgers, so its really easy to acquire. Hell, if the PCs just finished The Killing Game there's several hundred dead Scourgers you could roll for ammo.

For some reason rules for making your ammo don't exist, which is odd. You think that'd be pretty important in the post-apocalypse. Its fairly easy to do, with what's essentially a portable tool and the parts you could make your own on the go.

I just looked at the rules, and I don't think there are rules for crafting stuff that isn't drugs or weapon mods, unless I'm missing something.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

JcDent posted:

I just looked at the rules, and I don't think there are rules for crafting stuff that isn't drugs or weapon mods, unless I'm missing something.

There's not yeah, but there really should be. Its something you could easily do with some portable tools when the party has camped for the night or something.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

JcDent posted:

And for the PC killing solution, how would the PCs know that it's even an option in-world

I would assume something like "You get the feeling that killing one of your compatriots would make the screaming stop."

JcDent
May 13, 2013

There's not yeah, but there really should be. Its something you could easily do with some portable tools when the party has camped for the night or something.

And speaking of which, the book keeps saying that guns and vehicles are rare, to the point where where Judges have to go about with flintlocks (instead of more appropriate revolves, lever rifles, and shotguns), and then the last adventure module has everyone bristling with guns and at least two vehicles.

FFS, the Scrapper marvel is supposed to be a musket, and one of the reasons why Scourgers are supposed to be scary is their access to assault rifles!

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

JcDent posted:

And speaking of which, the book keeps saying that guns and vehicles are rare, to the point where where Judges have to go about with flintlocks (instead of more appropriate revolves, lever rifles, and shotguns), and then the last adventure module has everyone bristling with guns and at least two vehicles.

FFS, the Scrapper marvel is supposed to be a musket, and one of the reasons why Scourgers are supposed to be scary is their access to assault rifles!

While it won't be as good as a Assault Rifle thanks to lacking the Salvo rule, a Scrapper can essentially mod the musket out of their Marvel. 2 slots to remove Muzzle Loader, 2 to add Smooth Running, 1 to change the barrel to 5.56, and might as well expand the Magazine for 1. Your musket is now a 2-shot hunting rifle that does 11 damage, and will reliably proc an extra attack every shot. You won't be quite as good as the Hellevetic though.

I also don't really get their focus on muskets, individually they're not all that effective. Making a lever-action rifle is not all that hard you guys.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

While it won't be as good as a Assault Rifle thanks to lacking the Salvo rule, a Scrapper can essentially mod the musket out of their Marvel. 2 slots to remove Muzzle Loader, 2 to add Smooth Running, 1 to change the barrel to 5.56, and might as well expand the Magazine for 1. Your musket is now a 2-shot hunting rifle that does 11 damage, and will reliably proc an extra attack every shot. You won't be quite as good as the Hellevetic though.

I also don't really get their focus on muskets, individually they're not all that effective. Making a lever-action rifle is not all that hard you guys.
These guys are mostly Europeans, right? I would not be surprised if they just didn't have ready access to the deep bench of gun nerd knowledge that you can find just walking down the internet street in America.

They could have asked someone, obviously, but that doesn't seem like how these guys roll.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Nessus posted:

These guys are mostly Europeans, right? I would not be surprised if they just didn't have ready access to the deep bench of gun nerd knowledge that you can find just walking down the internet street in America.

They could have asked someone, obviously, but that doesn't seem like how these guys roll.

Yeah, mostly Germans and French guys.

In the last adventure they give a guy with a mini-gun 6000 rounds and tell you that's enough for him to shoot all night. It's actually about 1 minute of continuous fire, give or take a few seconds.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah, mostly Germans and French guys.

In the last adventure they give a guy with a mini-gun 6000 rounds and tell you that's enough for him to shoot all night. It's actually about 1 minute of continuous fire, give or take a few seconds.
Assuming a night is 12 hours when he does this, that's... about 1 shot every seven seconds.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Nessus posted:

For example, I'm a bloody Euro in Lithuania and look how mad I am about the guns in this.

Well, that's Smooth Running 3T, so it's not reliable... oh, and you still need an action to reload. Beast the gently caress out of simple Muzzle Loader tho.

Zereth posted:

Assuming a night is 12 hours when he does this, that's... about 1 shot every seven seconds.

Not bad for a Dreyse needle gun :v:

JcDent fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 12, 2021

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

JcDent posted:

For example, I'm a bloody Euro in Lithuania and look how mad I am about the guns in this.

Well, that's Smooth Running 3T, so it's not reliable... oh, and you still need an action to reload. Beast the gently caress out of simple Muzzle Loader tho.

Not bad for a Dreyse needle gun :v:

While it does nerf your other agi skills, taking 3 ranks of the Luminary potential solves that by giving you 3 free triggers every round. Its also effective +3 damage, everyone should take Luminary on their primary combat skill if they can get away with it.

It doesn't effect your crafting all that much, as tech IV and up uses Int instead.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

JcDent posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think AoS lost some time due to being released under the rule of Tom Kirby, Capitalist Caricature Come to Life, so there was some early blockage preventing it from being good.

And it wasn't just reality ball and Sigmarine nonsense, it was also poo poo like "no points for unit costs, just take whatever," "distances are measured from miniature bodies, not bases," and "whacky rules like requiring you to shout 'for the lady' to activate unit abilities."

I read this just as I discover this reddit 40klore thread that attempts to explain a lot.

My question is, when did Kirby get kicked, compared to Codex: Harlequins (8th edition) came out? Because it seems like the WERE going to Squat 40K and bring out a new universe, when...something...changed and the new marines didn't result in the end times and there actually is some hope in the galaxy now.

quote:

Harlequin God Cegorach is directly responsible for Guilliman's Ressurection and the current state of the Galaxy. I don't know why nobody is talking about it.

For those of you who have no idea who Cegorach is:

The Harlequins worship a being known as Cegorach, the Laughing God, also called the First Fool or the Great Harlequin. Cegorach is a trickster god, by turns mocking, sinister, vindictive and enigmatic. His pranks punish gods and mortals alike for overweening pride, and stories such as the Theft of Khaine’s Blade and the Wedding of Screams remain cautionary fables in Aeldari culture to this day.

Alone amongst the Aeldari gods, Cegorach survived the Fall and escaped the fate of the rest of the pantheon. The story goes that, while Slaanesh fought with Kaela Mensha Khaine, the Laughing God escaped into the webway and hid amongst its myriad tunnels. These tales suggest that he remains there still, unassailable, laughing at the Gods of Chaos as he hatches bitter plans for revenge.

There are those who claim that Cegorach walks amongst his children from time to time, wearing the disguise of an anonymous Harlequin Player. Whatever the truth of such tales, the Laughing God is the only authority that the Harlequins recognise as they fight their wars and perform their mythic dances across the void in his name.

Codex: Harlequins (8th edition)

In short, he is one of the three Aeldari Gods who survived the Fall and the leader of Harlequin faction. He is also quite a planner, responsible for many wars and weird incidents in the Galaxy. However, his most successful scheme resulted in the birth of Ynnead, resurection of Roboute Guilliman and salvation of the Imperium (well, at least half of it).

And this is not me speculating, that's a fact.

But before we get to that, we must discuss two things: a special little book in Black Library and Sylandri Veilwalker.

First, the book:

Since the Fall, a crystal tome has rested upon an obstinite plinth at the heart of the Black Library, its covers bound shut by chains of light. As fabled events came to pass, so those chains faded one by one until, shortly before the opening of the Great Rift, the tome fell open at last. Within were revealed writings said to have come from Cegorach’s own hand.

Inspiring and terrifying in equal measure, they revealed a final act that changed utterly the tale of the Fall. Those words presented a slender hope, and began a galactic performance that the Harlequins strive to see fulfilled. Always the strands of fate had warned that Chaos would be victorious during the Rhana Dandra, the fabled great battle at the galaxy’s ending.

Yet the Final Act promised a new path, Cegorach’s ultimate jest that would trick Slaanesh into expending all her energies not to destroy the Aeldari, but to save them. How such a thing could come to pass remains unclear, but the Harlequins are devoted servants of their god, and they will see the Final Act performed no matter the cost.

I know it may seem random but it will be super important later on.

Now, about Sylandri Veilwalker. She is a Harlequin (actually it is implied that there are multiple Harlequins taking over the role of a "Veilwalker") that Cegorach seems to be sending whenever he wants an important job to be done.

In the midst of Craftworld Iyanden’s most desperate battle for survival, Prince Yriel takes up the cursed Spear of Twilight. He is compelled to seize his destiny in this way by a Shadowseer of the Veiled Path. The enigmatic seer vanishes soon after, Iyanden’s fate assured and the role of the Veilwalker played to its conclusion.

(...)

The galaxy burns, the fires of war lighting a bloody stage. As the Harlequins begin to follow the steps of the Final Act, they are led in their interstellar dance by their Shadowseers, and by the Players of the Twilight. A time of changing fates looms as the storm gathers, and the mantle of the Veilwalker is taken up once again, the better to direct Humanity onto the path that they must follow.

Within the Black Library, the Maze of Whispers and other obscure webway fastnesses, masques gather in readiness. More are seen aboard the craftworlds, amidst the spires of Commorragh and amongst the forests of the Exodite worlds, performing their altered Tale of the Fall and prophesying the coming of the Rhana Dandra.

Dark times approach, it is said, and the servants of the Laughing God are their harbingers, but also an embodiment of hope that they might be endured.

Veilwalker cocked its head. 'No. Merely the acknowledgement that this story is ending, and a new one is beginning. Such is the way of theatre, oh, King of Feathers. Endings and beginnings, over and over again.' It made a circular gesture. 'Round and round we go, where we stop, nobody knows... save the Laughing God.'

It giggled. 'And he isn't telling.'

'Have you come just to taunt me, or was there some purpose to this visit?'

'Have you ever wondered why the great powers are so desperate to trap you in a story of their making?' The eldar leaned forward, as if sharing a secret. 'Because a story has an ending. Sometimes it is happy, sometimes not, but it is always there.' It snapped its fingers. 'We all have endings. Except you. No ending for you, Manflayer. No cessation. No peace.'

Fabius snorted. 'All things end, even me.' He looked down at Igori. 'My ending is here. With them. When they are at last ready, I shall-'

Veilwalker laughed. It clutched itself and kicked its thin legs, as if his statement were the height of hilarity. 'And when will they be ready? If not now, when?' it shrieked, through its laughter. 'Never. Round and round and round you go, again and again and again.'

'Silence,' Fabius snarled. 'Or I will remove your tongue.'

The laughter ceased. Veilwalker sat up. 'You will do nothing, mon-keigh. Can do nothing.' It spoke flatly, all trace of humour gone. 'I am outside of your story now, as you are outside of mine. I am but a moment of transition, from one story to the next. You can no more harm me than you can understand the trap that holds you.'

Fabius Bile: Clonelord

For all intenses and purposes, you can treat Sylandri Veilwalker as Cegorach's personal messanger. And she, like all Harlequins, follows ony the Laughing God's commands.

With all of that being established, lets talk about how Cegorach played through The Gathering Storm and became responsible for the current state of the setting.

BELISARIUS CAWL

I don't have to tell you how important of a character Belisarius Cawl is. In real life, his importance started when he had discovered Blackstone Pylons under Eriad IV, the planet that Abaddon ruined during one of his Black Crusades. This event started the chain of reactions that resulted in...pretty much 80% of The Gathering Storm.

However, not many people remember what actually happened at Eriad IV.

Cawl ran a hand across the smooth, black shard. If only he had more time! The deeper they delved into Eriad VI, the more complete were the fragments. Discovery could be mere days – hours – away.

‘No.’ Impatience would gain him nothing. Whatever treasures this planet held, they could wait. He could not risk leaving the relic aboard his Ark Mechanicus any longer. ‘I will return.’

Now they would collapse the tunnels, seal the greenskins away from their prize. And on that glorious day of return, the Orks would quail before the Omnissiah’s fury.

Cawl turned to leave, but halted, uncertain. He swept his gaze around the cavern, eye lenses clicking and whirring as they scoured the shadows. He was alone. And yet, instinct told him otherwise. More than instinct. Was that the ghost of laughter?

‘Reveal yourself.’

A shadow shifted. Cawl had the sense of a hooded woman, a featureless mask swirling like smoke. The recalibration came without conscious direction. Implants slid smoothly into war mode. Power flooded the circuits of the Atomiser, the sensation like blood-flow returning to a numbed limb. Binharic data flooded the empty tiers of Cawl’s mind, divine algorithms seeking out the intruder’s weaknesses.

The intruder leaned closer.

‘Do you not remember me, Belisarius?’

Cawl scoured the jumbled bibelots archived in his third consciousness. Fragments of memory, and a name. Veilwalker. A data-burst suddenly lit up his mind. She had come to him in his forge on Mars, where he had laboured so long at his sacred task. She had compelled him to venture forth, to take his precious cargo to its long-intended destination. The time is now, she had whispered, and he had been unable to resist. How strange that, until now, he had forgotten that meeting. The Shadowseer’s mask settled, forming a countenance that Cawl hadn’t seen for millennia. The likeness lingered for a moment, then dissolved into a vortex of dancing light.

‘If you are here to remind me once again of old promises, xenos, then you have come too late. My ships are already preparing to depart as we speak,’ Cawl said.

Veilwalker laughed. ‘

The music of destiny is changing. The dancers must learn new steps, or perish in the fading notes.’ Cawl stared at her blankly.

‘I am here to tell you to keep digging,’ said Sylandri Veilwalker.

Then, in a flicker of light, she was gone.

(...)

[Later, Harlequins took care of the Orks]

Belisarius Cawl hadn’t intended to remain on Eriad VI. Logic dictated he leave. Protocol insisted. Every moment he lingered, the greater the toll inflicted upon his forces by Gangrek’s inheritors. And yet, the Archmagos could not bring himself to depart. The mystery called to him, stirred emotions long-atrophied by millennia of self-augmentation.

He had to know the meaning of Veilwalker’s cryptic advice. Was it tied to the reliquary concealed aboard the Iron Revenant? Could he take the chance that it wasn’t? The Shadowseer had implied that the secrets of Eriad VI would be uncovered now, or not at all. Cawl didn’t doubt that his and Veilwalker’s interests were at best in temporary alignment, but even a fleeting alliance had the potential to alter the Imperium’s course.

(...)

Occasionally, he caught Veilwalker watching him from the shadows.

[Soon after, Belisarius realises that Abaddon played a long game, destroying anti-warp pylons in the previous Black Crusades. Now there is only one planet left - Cadia.]

(...)

Without warning, Veilwalker was there, mask swirling with unreadable emotion.

‘Do you understand?’

Cawl nodded, too horrified by the implications to object to her presence.

‘The pylons. The Immaterium…’

‘The one holds the other to its rhythm.’ Veilwalker’s mask was an angry red. ‘Without these stones, dancers become slaves to a refrain bereft of order. The galaxy dies, reborn in madness.’

‘Can it be prevented?’

‘Cadia is the end and the beginning.’

Cadia. Where the pact was first forged. Coincidence? Cawl no longer believed in such things.

‘This is too important for riddles. Answer me plainly!’

But Veilwalker was gone, leaving him with no answers, but perhaps a place to seek them.

The Gathering Storm I: Fall of Cadia

To sum up:

Belisarius started examining stuff on Eriad IV, but was forced to run away due to Ork activity.

Sylandri Veilwalker appeared, sending forces to get rid of the Orks and forcing Cawl to continue his research. Had she not done it, Belisarius would have left without learning anything and eventually, Abaddon would have won.

Cawl and Veilwalker met milenia ago and forged some sort of pact on Cadia. The memories of this pact were erased from Belisarus' memories.

Veilwalker commanded Cawl to take his "precious cargo" and he could not resist her commands. I don't want to pose every fragment in which this cargo appears so I will tell you here and now that this cargo was The Armour of Fate - a specially-crafted suit of Artificer Armour created specifically to heal Guilliman's wounds.

It is already quite a big influence over the setting. Cegorach is the reason why Belisarius was on Cadia and why he took The Armour of Fate with him. If it wasn't for Cawl, Defenders of Cadia wouldn't be able to protect themselves for long enough to Ynnari to save them and take them to Ultramar.

Speaking of Ynnari - maybe I am overestimating Cegorach's involvment? After all, The Armour of Fate wasn't solely responsible for Guilliman's Ressurection. Ynnead was another part of the puzzle.

‘It is a debt I’m sure won’t be forgotten,’ said the Primarch. ‘Before you depart, tell me this. Cawl may have fashioned the armour that I wear, but it was not he alone who ensured my resurrection, was it?’

Yvraine smiled demurely.

‘His technology would have healed your physical wounds, Roboute, but you and I know that the worst damage had been done to your soul. So no, Primarch; it is by the grace of Ynnead that you stand once more amongst the living. If you wish to remain, however, I would caution you against removing your war-plate. Not that you could easily do so.'

The Gathering Storm III: Rise of the Primarch

But here is the thing - Cegorach was also responsible for Ynnead's birth. It is a bit complicated so I will try to keep it as simple as possible.

RISE OF THE YNNARI

Eldrad has long perceived a nascent presence in the infinity circuits of the craftworlds, a distant heartbeat that pulses slow and steady behind the thrum of lost energies. It is comprised not of one life sign, but hundreds of billions – the sum total of every dead Eldar’s soul across the galaxy. Though individually these echoes are near insignificant, together they form something so strong that – if it were brought to wakefulness – it could prove potent enough to overcome the Eldar curse entirely. This is Ynnead, the slumbering God of the Dead. The prophecies of the fabled seer Kysaduras tell that when every Eldar has passed from mortal existence, Ynnead will rise up and defeat Slaanesh forever more.

It was Eldrad Ulthran who put into motion a plan to bring forth Ynnead, a ploy of such conceited ambition it could buckle the fabric of space and time. Enlisting the aid of the Harlequin Masque of the Midnight Sorrow, he stole away the fossilised crystal statues of long-dead Farseers from their craftworlds and gathered them upon Coheria, a moon covered in sands of psychoactive crystal. With his crystal council acting as a hyperspatial link to each craftworld, Eldrad channelled the spirits of the infinity circuits onto Coheria. This was to produce a flare of psychic activity bright enough to wake even Ynnead, but the intervention of the xenos-hunting Deathwatch shattered Eldrad’s plan at the last. Though Ynnead stirred in his slumber, he did not fully awaken – not yet, at least.

The Gathering Storm II: Fracture of Biel-Tan

Harlequins helped Eldrad with stealing soulstones of long-dead Farseers and gather them on Coheria, where they "birthed" Ynnead. So far seems more like a very important assist, but nothing more.

That is until you remember that the ritual was finished exactly when Yvraine fell on the Arena in Commorragh. And there are two important things concerned with this fact.

First of all, Yvraine got to be a Succubi because she got a patronage from Lady Malys, as evidenced here:

There was one [Yvraine] amongst the Succubi who had risen from the gutter to high favour under the patronage of the aristocratic Lady Malys.

Why is it important? Well...

The accuracy with which Lady Malys can predict her enemies’ moves borders on supernatural, leading to the belief amongst many of her detractors that she has a degree of psychic ability. However, the truth is that she simply has a mind like a steel trap. So astoundingly complex is her psyche that she was once taken by Asdrubael Vect as one of his consorts, until the Supreme Overlord eventually cast her out. Outraged, Malys and most of her Kabalite Warriors left Commorragh and struck out into the webway.

There it is said she encountered the god of the Harlequins, Cegorach, who banished her followers and challenged her to a duel of wills. When Malys successfully answered all of the Laughing God’s riddles, Cegorach vanished with an amused chuckle, leaving behind a semi-sentient blade and a pulsating crystal, which was the trickster god’s own heart. Determined to gain enough power to undo Vect, Malys used the blade to cut out her own heart and replaced it with that of Cegorach. The heart has continued to beat within Malys’ chest ever since.

Codex: Drukhari (8th edition)

It was they, for example, who are said to have set the Archon Lady Malys upon the road to her strange encounter in the webway and the arcane bond with Cegorach that resulted.

Malys has Cegorach's own heart inside her and thanks to that, she's got a strong connection with the Laughing God. It cannot be a coincidence that she was the one who introduced Yvraine on the Arenas of Commorragh.

Second of all, Yvraine was killed on the Arena by the Priestess of Morai-Heg, Aeldari Goddess responsible for prediction. And she did that exactly when Ynnead was born. That is no coincidence.

Especially when you know what Veilwalker did after leaving Belisarius Cawl.

A perfect holographic replica of the Crucibael shimmered in microcosm within the misty viewing hall of Vect’s floating fortress. The tiny doppelganger duellists were no larger than the overlord’s manicured fingers, yet the sensations of their agony and bliss were enhanced tenfold by spiral-etched soul relays that ringed the hall’s misty vaults.

In the midst of the spectacle was Vect himself, a giant amongst pitiful insects. Nearby hovered a creature from a madman’s nightmare, the evil made flesh known as Urien Rakarth. The two figures loomed over the arena as gods, the holograms locked in their blade-dance below empowering them with every lethal tribute.

‘This is...hhn...quite the...hhn...spectacle,’ said Rakarth, his ragged lips taut.

‘She is quite interesting, this Yvraine,’ agreed Vect, ‘and apparently one to watch.’

A rain of diamonds shimmered in the mist in the viewing hall’s corners. They coalesced into a female Harlequin in a mirrored mask.

‘I spoke only the truth,’ said the newcomer. ‘She must fall, the better to rise. The Spectre’s Echo would not lie.’

‘If it is Inriam’s Spectre you speak of, Veilwalker,’ said Vect, ‘he died upon Coheria.’

‘And by doing so, joined not with Cegorach, but the Whispering God.’

‘Ynnead is a myth,’ shrugged Vect. ‘Nothing more. Speak no more to me of your delusions. What fool would plan to defeat their enemy by dying forever themselves?’

Rakarth’s grin became a pursing of flayed lips. He twitched a finger. In the distance, an Acothyst skittered away. Nearby, one of the silent Incubi slid into the darkness.

‘Follow them both,’ murmured Vect.

Six shadows flowed like ink from his feet and slid soundlessly after the Commorrites as they disappeared into the depths of the pyramid.

Veilwalker knew who Yvraine was and that she will fall. And also that Ynnead will be born soon.

And that's because Cegorach is directly responsible for all of that.

Also, when Ynnari were properly formed, Harlequins led them to what was left of Defenders of Cadia.

Cawl topped the crest and gazed down into the mustering warhost. Subroutines drew archival data from storage, matching the strange shapes of xenos armour to records salvaged from a million scattered conflicts. A datacluster salvaged from Port Demesnus confirmed the presence of the notorious rune-witch, Eldrad Ulthran, but as for the others, his analysis returned no firm conclusions. It was scarcely surprising.

The Eldar were inconstant, as ever-shifting as sand, changing personality as freely as they changed their masks. What did surprise Cawl was the motley nature of the xenos assemblage. He could access no prior reports of so many disparate Eldar cultures fighting together as one in this manner. Two figures at the centre of the host were a true enigma. One, a female attired in an elaborate gown, appeared to be directing proceedings, moving with calm authority amid the swirling storm of colour. Beside her was a warrior in crimson, his raiment echoing both Craftworld Aspect armour and the crueller plate of the Commorrite pirates.

Cawl found no record of its design, even in the deepest archives.

With a flicker of light, a familiar figure appeared at Cawl’s side, the patterns of her mask dancing with light. Veilwalker.

‘What is this?’ Cawl asked. ‘Where are you taking us?’

‘Into the light of a new dawn.’ The Shadowseer tilted her head, as if confused by the question. ‘Unless you prefer to remain in the darkness?’

With an effort, the Archmagos ignored what he hoped was an attempt at humour.

‘The Despoiler has a warship in orbit. You cannot hold them for long.’

‘We will not have to.’ The patterns of Veilwalker’s mask danced with new light. ‘The ending has passed. It is time for a new beginning. There is a parley to be struck, if you have the courage.’

The Shadowseer cast a graceful hand towards the host. With but the merest hesitation, Cawl followed her into the future.

The Gathering Storm I: Fall of Cadia

GO GUILLIMAN GO

So yes, Cegorach provided The Armour of Fate (which was used to heal Guilliman's body) and Ynnead (who healed Guilliman's soul), creating a mighty light for humanity in this era of darkness.

But he also made sure that the Avenging Son would reach Terra.

It is a well-known fact that Fallen Angel Cypher was the one who saved Guilliman when the Primarch was imprisoned by Red Corsairs on the Blackstone Fortress. However not many people know why Cypher was even there in the first place.

Cypher nodded his gratitude, then raised one booted foot and stamped down on the traitor’s head. Bone smashed and blood sprayed, the corsair’s body twitching then lying still. Holstering his bolt pistol, the Fallen Angel plucked the key from his victim’s open gauntlet, and then straightened up.

He found himself staring into the shifting mask of the Shadowseer, Sylandri Veilwalker. She who had contacted Guilliman as he wandered lost in the Maelstrom. She who had enlisted Cypher’s aid, and instructed Belisarius Cawl to leave his forge on Mars. Veilwalker sketched a mocking bow to Cypher, then pointed her staff towards a distant cell. With a nod, Cypher turned and strode towards it.

(...)

Fortunately, Veilwalker knew another way to escape – the route Cypher and the Harlequins of the Veiled Path had used to reach Guilliman, and the route they would use to lead him on towards Terra.

So yeah, Sylandri Veilwalker have lead Cypher to Guillimans cell, helped them fight against Red Corsairs and took them out of the Blackstone Fortress.

And this is, arguably, not even her greatest contribution to the Terran Crusade.

The crusade could not emerge at Terra, Guilliman realised with something like despair, not if it meant allowing Magnus to strike at the cradle of Humanity. Yet Sylandri Veilwalker had never intended for them to take that road. Instead, the Shadowseer revealed a secret that the Eldar had long guarded.

Lying dormant for millennia, hidden behind a veil of wards that even Humanity’s greatest psykers could not pierce, a lonely spar of the webway stretched out upon the border between realspace and the Warp to connect to Luna, Terra’s only natural moon. It was to that illusion-veiled gate that the Crusade must now make haste.

So yeah, she was also the one who took Guilliman to Luna. If it wasn't for her, the Terran Crusade would have been a massive failure. I don't think I need to explain how huge that is.

Also, when the Battle of Luna against Magnus was near its end, it was the combined effort of Sylandri and Guilliman that banished hordes of Tzeentch, especially the Deamon Primarch.

The two Sorcerers crumpled, and Veilwalker hurriedly began her incantations. The energies around the gateway pulsed and shuddered, the runes on its sides glowing brighter as a keening vibration shook the dark pit. At that moment, battling demigods appeared upon the crater’s edge. Guilliman and Magnus, both bleeding from the wounds they had dealt one another, still janked by a last handful of the null warriors.

Magnus bisected another of the women with a brutal swing of his glaive, which lashed around to hack a chunk from Guilliman’s breastplate. In return, the Lord of Ultramar drove Magnus back with hammer blows from the Emperor’s blade, then slammed his shoulder into his brother’s chest and sent the Crimson King crashing down the steep slope. Guilliman leapt after him, not giving Magnus a chance to recover. The Primarch’s onslaught was punishing, the wounded Guilliman visibly pouring everything he had into this last storm of blows.

Veilwalker melted away into the shadows as the warring brothers neared the webway gate, still muttering her incantations and weaving her staf back and forth. Magnus conjured a deadly sphere of Warp energies and hurled it at his brother with all his might. Guilliman’s iron halo absorbed the worst of the blast, but still he was sent staggering back. With his back to the gate, the Primarch of the Thousand Sons conjured a wave of telekinetic fury and used it to jing a mass of Space Marine corpses – loyalist and traitor – at the last few nulls.

They vanished from Sylandri’s sight, their contra-empyric drag blinking out as they were buried beneath a macabre heap of the dead. The Shadowseer started forward, fearing for the fate of the Final Act. Then, with a roar of hate and rage, Guilliman struck.

The Lord of Ultramar lunged at his brother. The burning blade drove in, under the Daemon Primarch’s guard, and sank deep into his chest. Golden james leapt, and Magnus howled in agony as they chewed hungrily at his jesh. He unleashed his powers in an uncontrolled sorcerous blast, its shock wave racing out across the crater and throwing Sylandri from her feet. The burst of power hurled Guilliman onto his back, blade in hand, and sent Magnus staggering free, back through the pulsating webway gate. Sylandri had one chance, a single moment in which to alter fate.

With a inal word, she shattered the runestone that glowed hot in her palm, and severed the webway gate forever. Power surged, Magnus roared his fury, and then was cut of from Luna, his warriors and his brother, banished to the depths of the Labyrinth Dimension.

And only after all of that, Roboute Guilliman could finally reach the Holy Terra.

OKAY BUT WHY

To sum it up, Cegorach:

Forged a pact between Sylandri and Cawl.

Made sure Cawl understands Abaddon's plan and takes Armour of Fate with him.

Formed the Ynnari, with Daughter of Ynnead leading them.

Send Ynnari for Belisarius Cawl and made sure that they will be taken to Ultramar.

Combining Armour of Fate and Ynnead's power he pretty much guaranteed that the best Primarch for the job will be resurected.

When Guilliman got captured, he send Cypher to resue him.

Allowed Guilliman to use Webway to reach Luna.

Made sure that Sylandri will be at Luna to banish Magnus.

It cannot be overestimated - Cegorach is the reason why setting still exists. If it wasn't for him, Abbadon's 10k years plan would end with an undeniable success.

The question is - why bother?

When it comes to Harlequins in The Gathering Storm, the common theme with them is hope for the better future. A hope that fate can be overcome.

Because humanity is fated to die. The Galaxy is fated to be swallowed by Gods of Chaos. Aeldari are fated to be consumed by Slaanesh and giving birth to Ynnead as the last bit of spite. Everyone outside of Chaos is fated to loose horribly.

But Cegorach found the way.

In post-Great Rift stories it is often mentioned that Abaddon broke the destiny. That nothing is set in stone no more. All the predictions and things that were fated to happen are no longer certain.

And Cegorach capitalised on that. Knowning that the fate is about to be broken to pieces, he placed all the pawns in the right places. Harlequins, Asuryani, Drukhari and even humans - all of them were in a perfect place to be absolutely EndTimed by Chaos. At least until Sylandri Veilwalker began her dance.

And how fitting it is, that Cegorach used Chaos' greatest champion to give Galaxy an opportunity to survive. He got the last laugh. And Abaddon will probably never know who really outplayed him.

TL; dr

It was they who sent one of their number – under the assumed name of Sylandri Veilwalker – to manoeuvre Prince Yriel into taking up the Spear of Twilight. A Shadowseer wearing the same name guided Belisarius Cawl to his fateful discoveries in the Eriad System, and smoothed the passage of the resurrected Primarch Roboute Guilliman back to Terra during his crusade. Yet that same seer also saw to it that Guilliman was forced to rely upon the aid of the sinister wanderer known only as Cypher, and sealed Magnus the Red in the webway before his confrontation with the Primarch reached a fatal conclusion.

Veilwalker cocked its head. 'No. Merely the acknowledgement that this story is ending, and a new one is beginning. Such is the way of theatre, oh, King of Feathers. Endings and beginnings, over and over again.' It made a circular gesture. 'Round and round we go, where we stop, nobody knows... save the Laughing God.'

Fabius Bile: Clonelord

Usually I don't ask for this sort of thing, but if you've read this post then please - give it a vote and comment something, anything. Many people clearly put their passion into telling this story and it breaks my heart seeing that nobody really talks about it.

Also it has all sorts of implications that won't be explored if people won't talk about it. And that would be a shame.

In Conclusion, *someone* changed course and instead of getting a new AoS in SPACE we got a slight breath of fresh air. Or at least enough to get in revealed in Codex: Harlequins (8th edition).

Do you think GW has a plan for 40K once 30K is completed in the next year or three?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
gorkamorka but with proto-space marines on terra

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Comstar posted:

My question is, when did Kirby get kicked, compared to Codex: Harlequins (8th edition) came out? Because it seems like the WERE going to Squat 40K and bring out a new universe, when...something...changed and the new marines didn't result in the end times and there actually is some hope in the galaxy now.

I've always suspected it was when footage of that giant Italian statue of Donald Trump as the God-Emperor hit the mainstream news.

Undisputed proof that their brand was being used as fascist rallying material, in the pages of major newspapers. There have long been tales of far-right fanboys on GW's writing and design team; this was something so big the shareholders had to take notice. Someone in GW's senior management baulked, and ordered the setting toned down before they found themselves irrevocably tied to the European far right.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

JCDent posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say, that's a weird-rear end name.

If there's one thing :zak: is known for in his modules (besides everything else terrible), it's his terrible names. They're either random syllables mashed together or just awful puns.

Ex. The vampire queen in A Red and Pleasant Land is named... Elizabeth Bathyscape.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Comstar posted:

Do you think GW has a plan for 40K once 30K is completed in the next year or three?

I object to the mere notion of GW having "plans" or 30K ever reaching a conclusion that's in any way satisfactory (the most likely outcome is a bolter shell to the back of the head, just like it was with the first iteration of Specialist Games).

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

JcDent posted:

I object to the mere notion of GW having "plans" or 30K ever reaching a conclusion that's in any way satisfactory (the most likely outcome is a bolter shell to the back of the head, just like it was with the first iteration of Specialist Games).

Oh, there was a plan for 30k. Just one wrinkle, it was in Bligh's head and nowhere else.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I see a new paranoia supplement came out, so how is the new edition going? I heard mixed reviews when it first came out, but has it matured at all?

Or just stick to xp?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

Oh, there was a plan for 30k. Just one wrinkle, it was in Bligh's head and nowhere else.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Libertad! posted:

And here I thought it was meant to be an edgy executioner.
You’re probably right, but the idea of asking questions -> murder has still led me down the line of some sort of “How many layers of Utilitarianism are you on? You are a little baby, watch this” race of extraplanar weirdos

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

GimpInBlack posted:

Next Time: KUNG FU CHARACTERS!

Late to the party, but:

Three-Star Fist, a Scholar who predicts his blows will hit like three meteors and who is also an amazing cook (:it is a Michelin Guide joke:)

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

That Old Tree posted:

Late to the party, but:

Three-Star Fist, a Scholar who predicts his blows will hit like three meteors and who is also an amazing cook (:it is a Michelin Guide joke:)

You're in luck, a combination of insomnia and indigestion has left me in no mood to write today, so you made it in under the wire.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Blue Rose 2e

You knew game mechanics would happen eventually

Of course the game has mechanics, and we're gonna talk about them. They have some good bits, and some less good bits, but above all they're very conventional. They're notably better than d20 mechanics for this kind of story, if for no other reason than every single character is assumed to be decent at fighting and not fighting and thus able to participate in both action bits and non-action bits regardless of their class. There's no 'you're a fighter, you're bad at everything (but especially at non-combat stuff)' like you'd get in d20. There is still a much larger focus on 'what can you do in a fight' than you'd expect, though. Most class abilities relate to capability in combat or using magic. Magic is its own small, decent enough subsystem, limited by getting tired as you try to exert yourself too much with your magic. You learn spells by buying talent ranks in various schools of magic as an Adept, or by buying Arcane Potential or Wild Arcana as anyone else. As Wild Arcana gives you a reasonable number of spells (but the caveat that when extremely stressed you'll start resorting to magic unless you succeed at a Will save, which is unfortunately a little 'the GM decides how much of a problem this is') it's actually easy enough to have some fun magic tricks as a Warrior or Expert rather than the dedicated mage Adept. If there's one complaint I have about the classes it's probably that Expert is just more exciting than Warrior. Warriors get great weapons, they're the only people who really use armor (and armor is legitimately useful), they're good at smacking multiple people around and drawing enemies to fight them, but it's just not quite as exciting as the Adept using magic or the Expert flitting around and swashbuckling.

The basic resolution of AGE is unchanged: Roll 3d6+Stat, +2 if it's a use you have a Focus in. Roll vs. TN. Sometimes how much you succeed by matters, sometimes the Drama Die (the third d6) matters. If you got doubles on any of the dice while succeeding, you Stunt and generate a Stunt of points equal to the Drama Die plus any bonuses. The issue is the same as in Modern AGE: While Stunts work great in combat and help script fun action scenes (and let them randomize combat more by Stunt or No Stunt than 'outright miss' in most cases, unless someone is *super* focused on being dodgy) the non combat stunts needed more of a clear idea of what they mean. They're just not sure if this should be a moment when the player gets to take over narrating and write some of the impact of what they were doing or put in some lucky break or find (which is what I feel like they should be) or they should just be simple stuff like 'You now get a bonus to deal with this person in the future' (which is sadly mostly what they are). The designers clearly didn't have as much of an idea of what to do with them outside of combat since this problem carries over in multiple AGE games. I also note Blue Rose has removed a lot of possible 'endless Stunt Chain' loopholes by explicitly making extra attacks generated by Stunts not generate their own SP even if they doubles. Similarly they removed grappling stunts, which I understand because A: Lol grappling and B: I've seen a grapple focused character who fought with bike chains and hogtied people and she just ended individual opponents RAW in Modern AGE, which was cool, but hard to balance.

What's notable in Blue Rose is you're forced to diversify what you buy as you level, even more than the soft cap in Modern AGE. Your class has Primary and Secondary stats, but in practice this just means 'stats you can raise on even levels vs. odds.' so effectively your Primaries vs. Secondaries aren't actually any better than one another. In practice it means you can't focus 100% on, say, being physically strong and fighty as a Warrior, you'll have levels where you have to put points and Focuses in other kinds of stats. Which is honestly fine, one of the nice things in AGE is that with a 3d6 dice curve and 13 as a standard 'this is relatively difficult' TN a character who puts +1 stat point and a Focus in something to go from 0 to +3 is suddenly pretty good at doing that thing. Similar how, say, someone with a 5 Dex like The Fox is actually great at everything Dex related and doesn't need to spend Focuses on lots of skills to be able to do all kinds of Dex shenanigans. The math is generally well worked out. There are a few exceptions, though; a character who really focuses on Dex, takes certain magic spells and talents and a Specialization (You get a Specialization at level 4 and master it by level 8, then another at 12 and master it by 16, these are like specialized super-talents) as a Spirit Dancer (martial arts wizard) and casts Enhancement to buff their Dex can uh, become untouchable. I think someone doing that can hit TN 25 to be hit with a lucky cast and at higher level. On a 3d6 dice thing where someone having +7 is already them being at soft-cap to-hit with a Focus. But that's a specific edge case; usually combat actually favors the attacker since the attacker has a Focus and the defender just has 10+Dex Defense. Most of the time the math works fine.

The issue is mostly the amount of focus on combat rules. The non-combat rules are fine; the dice math and your necessary spread of abilities will make your characters able courtiers or thieves or scholars in addition to being duelists or champions of Aldis or might wizards. They're just simple, while combat gets by the book's own admission the most mechanical complexity. While you're told by the book not to have it come up too often because fighting all the time is kind of out of genre (and similarly, that fighting to lethal stakes should be reserved for a sometimes thing vs. defeating people, since you can always choose to do the latter). I don't personally mind this; I'm relatively okay with conventional, simple, 'how did this go' resolution or I probably wouldn't enjoy WHFRP as much as I do, and AGE's primary designer (including for this game) is the same as WHFRP2e's, Chris Pramas, and his work is usually wholly conventional but reasonably well balanced so I'm fine with that part. But it might be a turnoff for others who hoped for more mechanics for the characters' interior selves, more relationship rules rather than the simple 'you grow in Relationships and gain bonuses on checks inspired by them' rules, etc. Some people might want more! What's here is fine, but better suited to more action adventure than you might expect.

I also find the Corruption rules to be a little overly punishing, though they have some mechanical flourishes I actually really like, as does Sorcery. Corruption and Redemption are mechanically tracked and anyone who hasn't fully given in to their Corruption can be redeemed. They interact with another system I'm not as fond of: You have a pool of Fate-Point esque Metacurrency called Conviction (spend it to reroll, get bonuses, etc) that doesn't regenerate automatically. You earn it by acting in accordance with your best or worst self. Doing the latter in a place corrupted by Shadow can let the forces of evil get a hold on you. Doing the former, you can choose to put the Conviction towards erasing Corruption instead. If you have any actual Corruption points, you have to make Will checks in Corrupt places to avoid acting towards your personal darkness, which I'm not as fond of. Every single point also removes a point of Con and Will until you get rid of it. Now, I'd be fine with having penalties to Con and Will against things of the Shadow and your own impulses, but removing the points outright really hurts, since it cripples your HP (HP is 20, 25, or 30 based on Adept, Expert, or Warrior, and d6+Con for levels 1-10 and then just Con for the rest) and makes everything in life much harder. I would understand 'it's harder to resist evil the further you've gotten into it' but I prefer to just run it as situational Con/Will penalties to resist the Shadow itself rather than losing points of the stats until you heal. It takes 10 Conviction to erase 1 Corruption; that's a lot. You also (like many of these Drama Metacurrencies) don't get a lot on how often Conviction awards should happen, which is definitely a flaw. Spycraft was very clear on how to make them an interplay and that was much to its benefit; Blue Rose could use the same, though the numbers given make me think it should be pretty common to gain Conviction.

The twist I like is that if you give in and choose to become a servant of Shadow, you lose all the Corruption penalties. You won't die from falling to Corruption, either (other characters can if their Con or Will hits -5). Instead, Corruption becomes a stat for you, and your magic now all runs off that stat. Your stat no longer raises based on doing evil deeds or using Sorcery; your base is how far you'd fallen before you stopped struggling and gave in to Shadow. So someone who gleefully dives into evil gains far less power from it. At this point you also only gain Conviction from your dark self, never your good side. It will also take some serious story fiat for you to be redeemed; I wish there was a bit more on handling this, maybe a section on 'if a PC is thinking about giving in, talk it over with the group and work out how you want this to go if they're going to stay a PC and if you're going to get them back or they change over to being a villain after a period of thinking they can control it' but I also appreciate not not saying 'take their sheet' for this kind of thing. In most systems with temptations of darkness, the darkness inflicts so many penalties and eventually NPCs you, which is effectively like losing your PC, that there's not a lot of incentive. Here? You stop getting penalties and get bonuses! Maybe very, very large ones. You don't automatically lose your character. I prefer that, it just needs more guidance. Similarly, I'm glad Redemption is an expected, mechanically supported part of dealing with Corruption and is often how Aldins deal with people who are struggling.

Similarly, I appreciate another thing: You don't gain Corruption from miscasting with magic or something. You get it from using magic to dominate and steal agency from others. For instance, there are spells that are used as a kind of magical psychiatric medication, helping people work through issues like depression or PTSD. This is an understandable, important part of healing in Aldis. Those same spells can also be used to 'edit' a person instead of helping them, using the tools of psychiatry without their consent to try to shape their mind. This is Sorcery. Gently helping someone work through their trauma is good. Using your magic to erase it because you're tired of dealing with their issues and rewrote them is how the Shadow works and seeps into you. You will always get a warning if what you're trying to do with magic is Sorcery out of character and the lines are pretty clear. Removing agency, forcing others to conform to your desire without consent, etc are clearly Sorcery, the very essence of the Shadow. Some spells are also explicitly Sorcery; force choking people, causing massive, direct psychic harm, incapacitating with pain or implanting magic suggestions and brute force domination. These are extremely powerful and direct. Everything about dark magic makes the Sorcerer themselves feel in control. They can directly, viscerally wound the people around them. They can hurt, they can force, they can reshape. I love this, because it makes them mechanically dangerous but it's also perfectly in theme. And their direct Sorcery spells don't give them much subtlety, either. Why would they? It's all about how the force they exert on others makes them feel.

I do wish it didn't take learning those specific spells, though, because it means a normal Adept who is not trying to be Corrupt is unlikely to spend slots on Sorcery spells, since using them is always a Corruption WP test. I wish it was a little more possible for an Adept to reach out in a moment of panic and grasp Sorcery spells, because a major deal with Shadow is that it tries to give its servants massive, uncomplicated power because it's trying to make them seem strong in order to trick you into thinking you need to meet Evil with Evil to have a chance. Which I like! I actually quite like the Shadow as a force of evil and corruption and we'll get way more into it as we go. Its lies are temptations, dangling the idea that you could just make everything go how you want and drat the agency of everyone around you, and that's solid stuff.

Still, Blue Rose's mechanics are solid enough if you don't mind conventional and relatively simple. Advancement is still fun, though I haven't seen high level play to see how it holds up yet. Stats still soft cap at 5, you still have a lot of incentive to branch out, and characters are usually mechanically competent adventure protagonists. It mostly works, and magic is fun without overpowering the game and it's available as a side thing to everyone, with enough reason to take it as such. There are definitely places it could be better and places it could use more (especially non-combat stunts, they needed to be more ambitious), but it's a huge improvement over d20 and I generally find the rules add more than they detract. But if you want a lot of narrative mechanics you're going to be unfortunately disappointed, even though the general math and balance is fine. Advancement is also notably less free-form and pushes you to more diversification than Modern AGE, but I don't think that's bad. I wish Warriors got more exciting stuff, as Experts and Adepts are both fine in combat already. Warriors are still effective, mind you! And can still play with magic, do lots of non-combat stuff, etc. It's just in combat they win fights by having really heavy weapons and armor, which matters, while the Expert is playing with the Stunts more and the Adept has many possible ways to play. Though that can be its own issue: Outside a couple spells, magic has very few ways to be directly used in combat, because that's not quite how magic works in Blue Rose. Magic is more about, like, elemental shaping tricks, psychic contact, healing, buffing, etc. You can still Shape fire onto a guy, but it's a little awkward. Which is also fine! Just be aware if you're playing an Adept that doing direct damage with magic is a little complex compared to what you might expect and be prepared to be a bit more supporty.

Next Time: The History of Aldis and why it's both good, but really needed some more passes in the writing style

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
That is some surprisingly well-done corruption mechanics. They don't reward spotlight-stealing acts of evil, they don't provide mechanical rewards for atrocities, and they deliberately depower any player who wants their PC to turn evil immediately out of chargen.

That should effectively blunt most toxic players who want to make the game entirely about them and the NPCs they're slaughtering (prudent in a setting with cute animals, I feel).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I feel like on some level you just have to abandon trying to mechanically discourage that kind of thing, personally. Because you can't; players who want to come in and make the magical deer kingdom full of magical cute animal friends a grimdark slaughter are going to do it because that's the reward in and of itself for them (see that Pundit rear end in a top hat writing about how he 'plays Blue Rose as subversive grimdark'), rather than being incentivized in some way. I think it's better to make Corruption and stuff work on a level that plays with people who are playing into the game's conceits, which I think BR mostly does.

The thing I like most is the focus on how sorcery makes the sorcerer feel. I think it's highly in line with the genre that all the 'crush my enemies with my awesome arcane might!' spells with visceral effects that can only be used to slaughter and control lies in Sorcery. A good guy battle-wizard Shaper is doing elemental bending and trying to trap people in mud before spin-kicking them in the head to disable them or something while the dark Shadow Dancer's evil master just clutches his hand and breaks your ribs. The Healer is patiently helping a person work through their issues while a Sorcerer just stares at someone and mutters 'You will be who I want you to be' and tries to rewrite them as a person.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 12, 2021

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Chapter 8: Bazaar, pt. 17

Degenesis Rebirth
Katharsys
Chapter 8: Bazaar

ARTIFACTS

Legendary
These are the named architects over which a Chronicler would shank their own mother, worthy of being the focus of entire campaigns. Let's see if they're as cool as they're hyped up to be!

Encoder
A tube that uses nanites to encode you to make you able to use RG or Free Spirit equipment. However, you fall under constant surveillance if you undergo the procedure. :tinfoil:

Gravity
A heavy Sun Disc that fights attempts to lift it and move it, but if you can do it, they can lead you to Sleepers and Marauders. Sorta like a very lame Excalibur, that one.

Capacitor
A ceramic stick you use to stir angry nanites to make them safe to transport. Only Marauders get to use those, so... worthless? :shrug:

Emitter
Basically a laser communication device that connects to... whatever with beams of visible light. Too mysterious to be of use. :iiam:

Cryostasis Chamber
Apparently they populate the lower levels of Dispensers in the thousands, which makes mockery of the supposed rarity of these artifacts. If you're a bad enough dude to take a dive in the nanite soup, it will heal you – but will also recolor your skin, change your hair, etc. It's said that each one is imprinted with a specific person and tries to turn you into them.

Just punch out a Pheromancer and drop one into it for shits and giggles.

Interfacer
Tablets used to access the internet Stream. :effort:

quote:

Even though almost everyone had an interfacer in 2073, there are only a few working ones today. They are basically irreparable; you cannot even open them without damaging them. Their value for the Cluster is enormous.

Impossible to repair, limited functionality, priceless for the tech obsessives… So basically iPads, eh? :v:

Stream Glasses
Google Glass, still useful where digital hotspots (like Wi-Fi hotspots, but also storing a bit of internet themselves) are still active. You probably can't tell where such spots are without wearing such glasses, but then again you probably don't want to wear them all the time, so... basically sell it to the Chroniclers.

Existence
Half-a-Pokeball, made of titanium and clocking in at 5 kilos. It's actually an AMSUMOS brain or at least their memories. Use it with an Interfacer to play back the recorded footage (but only Chroniclers know that). Vital for restoring ogrish dot com.

Diffraction
It's an invisibility suit from Exalt. :effort:

IN CONCLUSION
That's it! It only took me 54 pages of 12 point Liberation Serif to summarize some of the least thought-out, poorly-organized, and imagination-poor stuff you could imagine.

From the absolute nogunz mistakes to palpable fear of giving players anything cool with the Hellvetic exosuit upgrades, to weapon mods less evocative than ones found in 1-page rulesets, this is extremely disappointing.

I feel spent. Luckily for us, the next chapter is dumb, but blessedly short!

Next up: Chapter 9: Burn

kommy5
Dec 6, 2016
About Blue Rose sorcery, I am a little leery about all the domination and editing an NPC antagonist may inflict on the players. What do the rules say about all this magic being used to take characters away from their players?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

kommy5 posted:

About Blue Rose sorcery, I am a little leery about all the domination and editing an NPC antagonist may inflict on the players. What do the rules say about all this magic being used to take characters away from their players?

There are a lot of ways to cure it. Most normal arcana can fix what a Sorcerer can do to a person. Also the long-term domination stuff is more 'they force you to feel a certain way about something but you can't explain why' in mechanics; total control is short term and they have to be right there. It's more for them shaping hatred into your heart and then your friends notice you acting out of character and try to help you. They can't mechanically rewrite your PC entirely; that's more the fluff about what the worst of them can do than something that happens to PCs.

E: Also, every time sorcery makes a PC act heavily out of character, they get a new chance to throw it off. To further edit: If you look at it closely, a Sorcerer who isn't using a full on dominate spell that they have to be right there for as a combat spell they must maintain can give you input but you still control the output. They can make you hate someone, but how you react to hate is still you. They can edit in events or implant false memories, but you still react to them as your own PC. They might be able to trick you into remembering them as your old mentor, but if you're the sort of person who would never betray your country, even at request of your beloved mentor, it might cause you great anguish to say no when they ask it of you but you can still say no.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 12, 2021

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Night10194 posted:

The Healer is patiently helping a person work through their issues while a Sorcerer just stares at someone and mutters 'You will be who I want you to be' and tries to rewrite them as a person.

Does the book say anything about rewriting a person with consent? I'm thinking stuff like a fantasy Alcoholics Anonymous memeber specifically asking for having the urge to drink cut out (kinda like the scene in Planescape: Torment, if the guy in question gave informed consent), that kind of thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Just Dan Again posted:

The Cannibal Critics are another Gallery resident. They travel in groups and ask inane questions about art- if you answer their questions, they'll all be stunned for a round while they discuss your answer among themselves. They seem to be some kind of criticism of critics, but given that they don't really do anything but read random phrases and attack PCs it's another joke that falls flat.
Every NPC in this module seems like a weird in-joke.

Fire on the Velvet Horizon and Veins of the Earth are much, much better books than this. I still have this issue with VotE where it seems that many of the monsters have both a weird metaphysical gimmick and weird motivations that are not likely to be made clear to the PCs unless they research them somewhere else.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Part 4: Archetypes: Heroes and Roughnecks

I touched on Archetypes on the last section, and now I will go more in depth about each of them, touching on playstyle and the narrative role they want to embody.

The first archetype the book presents is the Hero. Basically, your standard JRPG/shonen protagonist, with their Moods being Burdens, to reflect the weight of their commitment, and a choice between Idealism for maximum Power of Friendship and Rage for someone more revenge-driven. The Hero is the archetype that’s most directly in conflict with the Empire, with most abilities tied to fighting and resisting against it. They also get to create a Mentor NPC, to provide guidance and be the inspiring force behind their rebellion.

The Hero is a frontline figure, getting bonuses for being in the thick of the action and being one of the few archetypes with an innate Armor resistance score, which works as extra Corpus resistance that automatically refreshes at the end of a scene.

In addition to this, Hero abilities have a theme about giving your word and keeping it, starting from one of their core abilities, the aptly named It’s a Promise, which lets them vow to achieve any short-term goal in exchange for a refresh when they manage to pull it off (and a relatively nasty stress hit if they don’t). Their Quest High is The Last, Most Important Lesson, representing the Mentor having taught them all they can, with all the narrative tropes you can fit into that.

A taste of what you can expect from High advances

All of this combines to make the Hero a very proactive figure, who is sure to aim the party towards trouble and do their best to make sure they survive it, all whiile defying the odds and uniting the people behind their cause.

The Roughneck is, as the name suggests, usually the muscle of the group. Roughnecks rely on the most straightforward solution to any problem, usually involving overwhelming power. This doesn’t mean they’re supposed to be dumb, just that they are encouraged to charge in first and worry about consequences later. Their Core, Knuckle Down, encourages this by letting them treat a failure as a stressful success, at the cost of taking Brutal stress on the roll (instead of rolling a single stress die, the GM rolls two and takes the higher). The other Core, Hidden Depths, gives them a passionate interest in something unexpected, such as fine cooking, the intricacies of jewelry-making, or art history. This dovetails nicely with the required Mood of Family, making the Roughnecks natural protectors, with the choice between Cheek and Dread differentiating the boisterous bruisers from the scary intimidators.

Roughneck advances keep on the theme of stubborn determination and general willingness to fight, with the possibility of riling up enemies or conversely scaring them into submission, and their Quest High, Kill the Past, Save the Future, giving them a one-shot chance to rectify something that went wrong in the past, because they’re just that stubborn.

Yes, the reference is shameless. Yes, I love it for that.

All in all, Roughnecks are best thought of as running on pro wrestling logic: there’s no problem a good brawl can’t fix, there’s always time to tell your opponents why you’re going to thrash them, and there’s no obstacle or setback that can’t be powered through by sheer force of determination, and it’s the reason why I love the Archetype.

If the Roughneck is all about facing trouble head-on, all the Scoundrel wants is to avoid the consequences of their actions. They’re the more roguish archetype, as exemplified by their obligatory Desire mood, and can then be dashing rogues with Charm or tricksy rogues with Cheek. They can be trusted to make trouble, and to usually take advantage of it.

Scoundrel advances are mostly geared around their ability to cause trouble and pocket stuff, with a minor theme of ranged combat thrown in to give something other than shenanigans. They also can add the party’s Kismet stress to their rolls thanks to one of their Core abilities, giving them a reason to keep it topped up and the rest of the party a reason to groan. The Scoundrel’s Quest High is, appropriately, the Heist of a Lifetime, letting them become rich enough to automatically succeed at anything involving throwing money at a problem.

Some curated examples of shenanigans

Next time: Wanderer, Heir and Scholar

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Caustic Soda posted:

Does the book say anything about rewriting a person with consent? I'm thinking stuff like a fantasy Alcoholics Anonymous specifically asking for having the urge to drink cut out (kinda like the scene in Planescape: Torment, if the guy in question gave informed consent), that kind of thing.

Yes, with informed consent that kind of thing falls under healing for that kind of situation. Also to update: I got my dates mixed up. For some reason I thought Modern AGE was 2017 and Blue Rose 2018, it's the reverse. I generally think Blue Rose's rules work a bit better in places, but I think playing them in the other order and them being pretty close to one another threw me off.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

(see that Pundit rear end in a top hat writing about how he 'plays Blue Rose as subversive grimdark')

The older I get, the more childish this kind of thing feels to me. Some people seem so angry if your preferred game of Let's Pretend includes 'let's pretend the world is a fundamentally good place where good people can do good things.'

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Everything about The Scoundrel sounds like being the worst kind of player, but in the best way. :allears:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cythereal posted:

The older I get, the more childish this kind of thing feels to me. Some people seem so angry if your preferred game of Let's Pretend includes 'let's pretend the world is a fundamentally good place where good people can do good things.'
It's Unoriginal Nerd Idea #1: take a popular nerd thing and make it dark and grim and edgy. Oooh, it's so much more sophisticated and adult now!

(Unoriginal Nerd Idea #2 is "What if the bad guys are actually the good guys, and vice versa? Oooh did I just blow your mind?!?")

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Oh poo poo, I'm ready to play a giant angry cyborg just crushing my way through everything.

The hero is cool too, who doesn't want to be a Firebrand AND lead from the front?

And of course, this would be extremely thematically unfitting, but it would probably be a better IG Kill Team experience than Only War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

FMguru posted:

It's Unoriginal Nerd Idea #1: take a popular nerd thing and make it dark and grim and edgy. Oooh, it's so much more sophisticated and adult now!

(Unoriginal Nerd Idea #2 is "What if the bad guys are actually the good guys, and vice versa? Oooh did I just blow your mind?!?")

I was going to make a joke one day about a new RPG plot twist: the monolithic organization your started the game serving... are actually good? This would blow a JRPG player's mind.

As for the #1, doing the opposite and making a popular nerd thing good and positive would be more original, yet harder, because... well, if it's all good and positive, then why do you still have to fight all these traitors and heretics? In fact, where are those traitors and heretics coming from if it's all good?!