Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't normally read this thread, but apparently reports have come in so now I need to.

Everyone posted:

I don't think they intersect so much as they feed on each other (which is probably just another way of saying the thing that you just said). Because of racism, minorities found it much, much harder to gain wealth and opportunity, which tended to keep them poor and powerless, which "justified" racist claims that they were inferior and so loving on. A self-reinforcing feedback loop of evil.

SA user "Everyone," the problem you are having here is you think people are disagreeing with your elementary-school take on race and class. They're not: they're mocking you for thinking you're providing a helpful discourse, in a teacherly tone even, and then posting this:

when someone tells you that hey man, maybe stop trying to teach grandma to suck eggs here, especially given your egg-sucking technique is super-basic. Like OK you ate some of the egg in the end, but you got it all over your face, too. There's egg on your face. Grandma is not impressed. This is a metaphor. I am explaining it carefully to try to make sure you understand.

So now I'm gonna just lay down a law. SA user "Everyone", you may not post in this thread about real-world class or race any more. Other posters are welcome to do so in the context of analyzing RPG products, per the topic of the thread, if you can do so in a respectful manner without creating a big ugly derail. But not user "Everyone", who is free to go get savagely owned in C-SPAM or D&D or wherever it'd be more appropriate. Your posts on these topics are instant-derails and annoying to the thread and I will probate you for doing more of them. If you want to debate the severity of this restriction, feel free to PM me or a moderator.

Fivemarks posted:

I propose we activate the "Nazi Bar" Rule in regards to this Everyone guy.

Fivemarks, please do not accuse or even obliquely suggest that other SA users are Nazis or have Nazi sympathies without solid hard evidence.

The rest of you, please don't pile on, either. I'd prefer it if the thread continued on its merry way with more FATAL & Friends related game chat. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Do my army, the tomb kings

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi folks! I'm happy to announce that That Old Tree has been punished granted the powers of Idiot King for this thread. He will also be IK for the NWoD thread. Please continue posting gooder, and give That Old Tree all due deference now that he can probate you on any whim. Thanks!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fivemarks posted:

But I have personal beef with open_sketchbook,

Fivemarks, this matter - if there is anything to it - is being taken to PMs. I have queued a Plat upgrade so that you can send & receive PMs. open_sketchbook, please also feel free to PM me if you have anything to add. Either way, I would prefer this not be a topic of discussion in the FATAL & Friends thread.

I will say this, for everyone: if you have an accusation to make about another poster, the mods, admins, and Jeffrey would prefer you to raise it directly with site staff. You may contact any mod or admin you like, and if you are not satisfied with the response, you may escalate. Please don't just stew, and occasionally make backhanded vague references to it in random posts around the forums. It's not fair to anyone really, including you.

On the other hand, if you just have a personal posting enemy over "stupid bullshit" that isn't worth mod attention? Shut the gently caress up about it, because it's wildly unfair to your enemy to have you posting offhand denigrating comments about them in a way they can't reasonably respond to without running afoul of the posting rules.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

By popular demand posted:

Oh dang I didn't even consider the benefits of having entire worlds to use as dumping grounds, the old question about launching trash into the sun is always answered by just how unbelievably expensive it is to get stuff into space but timelines travel seems much more viable.

Nessus posted:

What would be interesting is if Infinity, basically, passed out licenses to humanless Earths to various nation-states and were like "cool have fun." It is possible that this is Infinity's middle-term plan and Uhuru is just the first successful completion of the idea. This mostly comes to mind for the fact that it is not a big stretch to say "OK - these are all morally vacant terra nullius - one to a customer - have fun!"

Hey guys check out Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter's Long Earth series, in which (a significant portion of) Humanity suddenly gains the ability to freely travel to parallel Earths; without spoiling much, it opens up the possibility for more or less ethical (probably?) exploitation of unlimited unspoiled territory and resources, although you can't bring ferrous metals with you when you Step so that's a limiter.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Frog God Games does indeed have a history of dishonorable mentions in the industry thread. You can find more or less all the details with this handy thread search, if you care to delve.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the most horrifyingly bloodsoaked empire is whichever one I read about most recently

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

You should just stop digging this hole. It was a very ignorant thing to say and you’re dangerously close to war crime denial.

This is unwarranted escalation and you've been doing a lot of it today - them's fighting words, basically - and it's possible to explain or link to resources about Japanese colonialism without slinging accusations like this.

Also, for everyone: you can't "compare and contrast" lists of horrible historical actions by countries and conclude "which one was worse" without inviting a ton of yelling and hard feelings, so don't do that. Especially in the FATAL thread. Even just trying to decide "how much colonialism influence is there on a whole slew of games from the last 40 years from two countries" is of dubious utility for this thread.

So everyone kindly drop it, now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

This is unwarranted escalation and you've been doing a lot of it today - them's fighting words, basically - and it's possible to explain or link to resources about Japanese colonialism without slinging accusations like this.

Also, for everyone: you can't "compare and contrast" lists of horrible historical actions by countries and conclude "which one was worse" without inviting a ton of yelling and hard feelings, so don't do that. Especially in the FATAL thread. Even just trying to decide "how much colonialism influence is there on a whole slew of games from the last 40 years from two countries" is of dubious utility for this thread.

So everyone kindly drop it, now.

Per the mod feedback thread, I wasn't clear that I am asking a fairly narrow topic to be set aside, and that's the comparisons of war crimes and colonial abuses between the US and Japan. If you'd like to continue to chat about how different cultures view monsters, that's relevant and seems fine to me. Thanks!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm sorry to announce that FATAL & Friends long-time regular poster Epicurius has passed away, as announced by his brother today in the In Memoriam thread.

IPlayVideoGames posted:

It really sucks to type this, and I’m sorry this announcement was delayed but I don’t really use the forums for anything other than occasional shitposting and I didn’t even know this thread existed. It somehow doesn’t feel real yet either, but I suppose grief is a journey down a winding dark road.

My older brother, Steve or Epicurius, passed away on May 27th of a heart attack. I know he had his fingers in all sorts of SA groups and had a good number of friends that he met on here and on the offshoot discords. If you’ve ever chatted with him or argued about history or discussed books or anything else, thank you. You meant a lot to him, and by extension, to me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This thread is basically about doing book reports in front of the class. Not everyone has the same style or interests, so the mod approach has been very hands-off for years. We did get a report on super long form posting in FATAL & Friends recently and I don't think Antivehicular and I reached a firm resolution about it other than that literally copy/pasting the source is obviously not OK but that wasn't what was happening, before I basically went out sick for the last week.

It's tricky. I think some constructive criticism is OK, just please keep it friendly and civil, and recognize that not everyone will have the same tastes. The thread has always been about long-form review, for the most part - I can click around in inklesspen's archive and see that long reviews have been the standard for many years - but I guess a review that threatens to exceed the original text in length is probably too much :words: so something shorter than that is a good goal.

What I'm getting at I guess is that "please be a bit more concise and avoid just rephrasing the text" is a reasonable request, but I think unless a review post is outright plagiarizing there's not much for mods to act on. I appreciate everyone who puts effort into posting here and I don't want anyone to feel like their work isn't valued. I hope posters can take some feedback in stride without feeling attacked.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't think the problem is with the length of reviews, but the content. Did I misread something?

I think when I said "avoid just rephrasing the text" as a suggestion, that gets at what Purple is talking about, and is restating the rule in the OP, although I am also presuming that length is part of the objection where perhaps it actually isn't.

however,

PurpleXVI posted:

I also think that once users say that a certain type of "content" is literally making them not want to read the thread, then it should be something relevant to the moderation staff.

SA is a landscape of threads of varying interest to different people and I don't think we can possibly moderate threads such that they appeal to everyone's taste. There are clearly posters here who are happy with what they're reading, and it does not appear that any one reviewer's posts are causing huge lengthy derails.

There's always going to be differences in taste and opinion, and I think communities need to have community discussion about what they want to have in their thread, rather than rely entirely on mods. In other words, I think it's better to post "I would prefer these reviews did less rephrasing of text" especially if folks can do that in a way that still expresses appreciation for the time and effort that another poster is putting in; and let the poster of those reviews react to that and decide if they want to do less of that.

If one poster is messing up a thread such that it's causing endless derails and slapfights, mods step in of course. I don't see that occurring here.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

I mean, if it helps, I'm just done posting here because it's an incredibly hostile environment and folks clearly, specifically, want me to stop.

So, congrats, I guess. Bye.

At least as many posters said they were happy with you as had criticism, and I however mean a couple were, I hope you change your mind. Regardless, thank you for contributing for years.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I said constructive criticism was OK but there's a limit and just heaping abuse crosses it.

I have told Mors Rattus that they are welcome to accept and incorporate constructive criticism in the spirit in which it is offered, but they do not actually have to to change their style to be allowed to post here. They are not plagiarizing content. The rules in the OP represent something like a community request for good content and not things that will get you probated.

A number of people have already spoken up to say that they like Mors reviews so this is a matter of taste. If you cannot stand Mors' reviews, put them on ignore and you'll never see them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I agree. Purple, sasha, this bickering is unproductive and reflects poorly on both of you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeup. I knew there'd be a report on that post as soon as I saw it and sure enough, there it is.

Let's leave this as one more "vote" or pretend it's a polite request for a different style of reviews, but Speleothing try not to be a jerk while asking for changes to the free content people are providing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FATAL & Friends has as its origin, laughing and crying at the horrible contents of the worst games, such as FATAL. Going line by line through those games to discover and pillory all the horrible bits inside was part of the fun. Over time the thread started including reviews of actually good games, but often using the same detailed approach.

You can look through the archive. I've clicked around in about a dozen or so random reviews marked as complete and all but one of them were quite lengthy and detailed. That seems to have been the norm.

So I'll say it again: while polite constructive criticism is ok to post, there's no need to be mean, there's no need to pile on or create a big derail, and the rules in the OP are guidelines for making good content. I agree with them in principle, but we are not grading papers here, this is an open thread for anyone to participate in regardless of skill or ability at doing game reviews, and the thread cannot cater to every different goon's tastes. If you find one poster's stuff intolerable, just skip it. If you find most of them intolerable, well, then this thread isn't for you. There's ten thousand other threads on SA, I'm confident you can find some you'll like, and you can also make your own.

I really hope that's the end of that derail and the thread can get back to just posting reviews and chatting about the games being reviewed.