Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Ooooooooooooooorb.

The cube continues to amaze.

Night10194 posted:

Also, yes, thanks Inklesspen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I bet you inflation doesn't exist for some whimsical reason. Or Monte Cook didn't care about it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hostile V posted:

Every time I go there I expect it to be different. It isn't. Ever.

Who knew rivers of High Fructose Corn Syrup was a thing and looked so disgusting at the same time.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hostile V posted:

Normal Prometheans can get sustenance from any organic material regardless of how rotten or disgusting or foul it is. If you get the Acid Stomach merit then you can eat anything as long as you can swallow it. Hair, industrial screws, gravel, spare change, triple A-batteries, airpods...

So what you're saying is that whole tide pod thing was an attempt to expose Prometheans?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Zyzyzrk is so weird. Like a powerlifter in dominatrix gear with a bullwhip who lives in a giant yonic kaiju shows up and you're like "Mommy" but she just wants to scream and kill people.

I beg you pardon? :what:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Okay sure. That's very peak WoD if anything.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I have a similar theory that some nontrivial percentage of the backlash against 4E D&D - not the majority, but enough that it should be seen as a creative mistake - came from people who had a bad time with the first official adventure module (Keep on the Shadowfell).

I can sorta buy that in 4e's case. Seeing as the main books layout was so good it even won prizes for it back in the day if I remember right.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Unfortunately they would probably assume you were looking for a brothel...

Hey it's a start. Who knows, that brothel might be menaced by a criminal syndicate and needs help.
Not that I think he'd ever come up with that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm sure you could argue semantics that a beer stein is still a cup of sorts.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

My favorite detail is her belief that all other angels must be much better artists than she is because of how completely her confidence has been destroyed.

I know that feeling if anything. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I was wondering when someone was considering doing SR6. If SR5 was bad then SR6 is downright abysmal in comparison. It only seems to have been made because the lead developer wanted it to as it seemingly appeals to no one. Or my personal theory is that they wanted to cash in on Cyberpunk Red and CP2077, and then managing to trip over their own feet constantly while doing it.
Suffice to say the SR thread has had a field day in how bad that game turned out.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Played both SR4 and SR5 and the skinny of it is that I enjoy the setting waaaaaay more than I will ever do the rules. A sentiment shared by most of the group as well.
Also gently caress SR magic.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ah yes, the SR premade characters. None of which were built using the character generation system or actually playable as I recall. Also that allergy choice just reeks of "Well I need at least one disadvantage".

I hate the SR disadvantages in general. Either pointless or just generally mean spirited.

Also I knew the SR6 book was badly edited but man, this is kinda amazing at how inconsistent things are.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

hyphz posted:

In Fifth Edition, there was a rule that limited the maximum number of net hits you could carry over based on the weapon you were using, but apparently everyone hated it and Sixth Edition has dropped it

Or possibly Jason Hardy hated it for some reason. :v:

Also those wireless bonuses are mindboggingly dumb.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Probably not right now no.
Unless you're German I suppose. The German writers for SR5 put out more solid material than what CGL did in general. To the point they even fixed editing issues in the core book, unless I'm misremembering.
I honestly have no idea how they'll handle SR6 though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

And... magic in general.

Well if there's one thing SR has been consistent with it's that Magic is ridiculously powerful.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Invisibility has always been the most broken spell in SR because it's an effective encounter or problem skipper unless the GM goes to extreme lengths to negate it.
The lead designer for SR has a massive boner for what is essentially Magicrun.

Pretty sure PhysAdepts were a borderline must take in 5 as well. In the campaign I played the power gamer of the group always tended to go for them regardless of concept otherwise.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ratoslov posted:

Not entirely. The single strongest element of Shadowrun is that the game puts front-and-center it's answer to 'So What Do You Do In This Game, Exactly?' It has lived where other games have died because every bit of lore and crunch is built with an eye towards the PCs being Freelance Assholes who Do Crimes For Money (And Sometimes Pro-Bono). Sure, they'll go off discussing the new monetary policies of the Corporate Court for a page, but they always swing back to discussing what kind of jobs that means for you, Johnny Chainsaw-for-a-Dick.

This is very true. When I went through the Neotech 2 book there was essentially no clear cut answer to what the player characters are meant to do at any point. At best you had some vague allusions about things you could possibly do. But Shadowrun is very clear on that point from page one.
The biggest issue with SR is that the rules are an absolute mess and any notion of balance can be thrown out of a window in many cases. Especially with magick involved.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

CGL being reactionary has so far only produced trainwrecks. Because I'm pretty sure Anarchy was an attempt to cater to the casual RPG market.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You typed uninal instead or Urinal in the title btw.

Also I'd suggest swapping the bold glitches for italics because they draw the eyes a bit too much from the main text blocks.

Also the Blood Mage bit feels like a big dick move to new players. Not bothering to explain it means that a malicious GM could feasibly make life difficult for a mage player who is left unaware of what they've been marked at. That whole glitch reads as "You who have played this know the score so we don't need to explain much".

I would argue cyberpunk as a genre hasn't changed all that much because the definition is so specific that making alterations to it will come off as wrong. I would say Gibson and others when defining the genre did it so thoroughly that it's hard to make changes so it doesn't slide over to regular Sci-fi or Near Future. So that's why you tend to encounter games of that genre reusing the same clichés and so on without much alteration. Partly because it's what defines cyberpunk as a genre itself and its hard to break away from them.

One of the reason I would argue why SR has managed to stand out is the merger with fantasy as well as establishing a Unique Selling Point in what the PCs are. Something which Cyberpunk fails to do based on the F&F write up earlier. Same goes with Cyberpunk heartbreakers like Neotech.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

It works far less effectively as an explanation in Shadowrun's near-future Urban Science Fantasy Cyberpunk setting.

In that case its either Deniable Ops or Dirty deeds done cheap. The game does sorta position runners as expendable troubleshooters that does the deed for various syndicates and corporations. And if things go badly their hands are clean and no real traces back to them either.
Someone always needs someone else to fix a problem or deliver some clandestine goods and that's where runners come in.

Although that might just be the case with SR4 and 5 because they had a massive tonal shift towards the more grittier compared to earlier editions that was more punks with attitude.

Later books for 5th ed I know have tried introducing other concepts but no idea how well they pull them off. Poorly most likely based on what I know of CGL writing. One of the last SR5 books that I remember did introduce the concept of being a more good natured runner trying to help the people.

The game still does have a lot of 80's roots in it still, such as with the old fear of Japanese corporations were going to take over the world.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Shadowrun has sorta run into the same problem as Neuromancer did. Technology and society as well has just managed to run away from the ideas it posit. Or taken it a wholly different direction and thusly has made them look out of place. A thing I feel is really common the Cyberpunk genre as a whole.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Now that I think about it, I wonder what an FFG 40k RPG using what is now the Genesys system would look like. Not just any kind of hack or anything and more like the Star Wars RPG. Because the latter is surprisingly good based on my play experience.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I probably should've added the clause that they were free of the baggage of the previous edition(s) and the d100 system.
But yeah, I remember that outcry against it and also remembering how sad it just felt. It kinda cemented my outlook that 40k nerds are, somewhat ironically, afraid of change. Then 8th ed rolled around and that became even more apparent.

Shame it just took a couple of extra years for GW to get a hang of the whole Warhammer RPG thing after that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

wiegieman posted:

I think part of the reason W&G failed is that their target audience has so much inertia with this weight of d100 stuff.

Also from what I heard was that the first release had issues with the rules.
And then apparently the development itself was handled so badly that GW pulled the plug way before any real support to it was given. Hopefully the C7 re-release will give it a second chance.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Also wasn't Wrath and Glory developed by the same lead designer as Rogue Trader? If so, I can't say I'm surprised the rules didn't work great. RT had easily the worst system and was probably the worst overall game in the entire 40kRP line.

Possibly. Although it remains to be seen how much of the W&G system has changed or if C7 has just tried to patch up as many holes as possible in the rules. From what I've heard it's not going to be a huge change of the internal workings at least.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think you got the company translations flipped there. :v: Fria Ligan is the Swedish name in this case.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Leraika posted:

Today I found out that more than one person in the world played hit video game Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure.

A couple of years back there was even an LP of it which included goon submitted covers of various songs. Although I don't think the LP got all that far in the game but the covers were a treat.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I do love hyper bitter F&F write ups at times. :allears:

Also guilty of reading the first couple of Dragonlance books when I was younger, like the first two trilogies at most before dropping them. I think I read more David Eddings books than Dragonlance as a wee lad.

Also I think you typo'd half-orcs as half-arcs in the beginning.

Night10194 posted:

Am I correct in assuming the elves are meant to be good and right in all they do in Krynn despite acting like racist dicks?

Pretty sure that is the case yes. As per usual.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Well it's good to know you enjoy 90% of my reviews!

You do write with a certain level of bile unmatched by others.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You forgot adding the game title to the beginning of the post by the way.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

spoilers: it's because Gary Gygax was scum

Funny how those things go with D&D. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Holy shitballs, Neotech Edge actually came out. And apparently did last month too. I did not expect this.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

I don't get why D&D proposes societies that people only worship one god out of a pantheon. Why wouldn't it be more like real world polytheism where you worship the whole pantheon based on occasion, and mystery cult priests dedicated to one god or people who have a single god as a special patron are specialties rather than the norm?

I remember Eberron being good on that point where it was explicitly mentioned that people prayed to whatever god they needed at the moment to help them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

hyphz posted:

A very experimental F&F...

Fatal & Friends: Tokyo Coin Laundry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxFb5FRVGLc

With a less bed located setup this could be a concept that works.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hostile V posted:

God drat that new title kicks rear end.

:perfect:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

While I know I've read some of the Dragonlance books I don't think I read all of them because I don't remember any of that. Granted I think I only read like halfway through the second trilogy or something. Been like a decade since anyway so hell if I can remember.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Flail Snail posted:

I was thinking that one crossover where Chewie spawned the bigfoot legend but that works too.

That one was a comic though and not a book, just to be slightly petty about it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I see they've found the shopping list for the Red Wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I thought it was more of an adaptation or prototype of the D20 Modern rules since both of them share the same kind of wound system. Or perhaps that was a later edition of the WOTC SWRPG.