Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I know I played one version very, very briefly with a pair of friends but I can't remember if it was the first one or the SAGA one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Then it wasn't that edition because the books looked like RPG books. :v: I think the first edition had Darth Vader on the cover so it probably was the edition in question.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

This reminds me I've been meaning to do a write up of New Mutant/Mutant 2084 at some point since I mentioned in the beginning of the N2 one.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

I think what a lot of people want out of a real robots show is just Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan but with robots.

So pretty much 08th MS Team then.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

so if like, Iron Blooded Children or whatever it's called is a huge step up in quality from [checks] Gundam SEED, ha ha, what wouldn't be, then that's cool and good.

In hindsight I'm amazed I lasted all the way through SEED and it wasn't until the final half of SEED Destiny where I just went nope and burned out hard on Gundam to the point I prefer Macross over it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You posted Sif's statblock twice by the way.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

My first (and only) Vampire game I took part in had the ST doing preludes with each player to cover their turning. As this was done over IRC years ago mine got interrupted by either a computer crash or my connection dying early on and then the whole campaign sorta fizzled out into nothing after that. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Wendel manifests this by sighing a lot and the book directing you to play him as exceedingly self-deprecating and convinced he's an idiot.

Ow, that hurt.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Libertad! posted:

The PCs can kill or capture Moxena, but they can also make an ally of her: he knows of a legendary sword, Titansbane, upon the Amazons’ Island of Themis which can prove useful against Sydon and Lutheria’s forces.

Slight typo there.

Also I would call Bullbug a :bioware: trope because he just sorta reminds me of Wrex in so many ways.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of Degenesis, they released all the books and rules for free this week.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/gshowitt/status/1252505926042628097

Going by this we have a perfect F&F candidate in the future.
The fact it's apparently a D1000 system is just such a mindfuck. :psyduck:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm always sorta weirded out by the "Soldiers aren't even humans!" angle that some game, not including WoD, seems to have. I would say its a very liberal stance but I'm most definitely wrong about that position.

Not to mention the general take of "If given the chance the player will automatically play a Rambo" which is frankly bullshit and just a thinly veiled sneer at "the dumb jocks" or "the murderhobo D&D player" that totally shouldn't be playing this game full of RAW and REAL EMOTION.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

The irony also being 'Rambo, but from First Blood' would actually be a pitch perfect Hunter PC.

It most likely would be but it feels like the writers only remember him Rambo 3 like everybody else does.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

It was a game that got the fundamental pleasure of stealth/espionage: Going into a situation knowing something you're not supposed to know, that the person you're dealing with doesn't know you know.

Oh, and it also actually let you get tricked if you were foolish. Like in Moscow. You could do that whole thing and never even notice you got played.

I tried playing and ended up absolutely hating the hacking minigame to the point it made me rather unenthused at playing the rest of it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

And yes, I know the long travelogue had little to do with the adventure, but it's a goddamn long way to just handwave them traveling all the way across not-France.

Frankly one of the best parts of this.

Night10194 posted:

Apparently it can be an eyesight thing; some peoples' eyes don't process the parts that aren't moving among all the moving bits. Especially on certain kinds of screens.

Bingo, couldn't really process it in the way it wanted and it just ended up being more frustrating than anything else.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Libertad! posted:

I will admit that I never saw the Last Witch Hunter

You haven't missed much to be honest. It's Vin Diesel being Vin Diesel pretty much and everyone thinking he's the coolest dude ever as a result.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

In a way I can see where GW got some inspiration for Flesh Eater Courts in AoS from.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

The Elf is also a teen! He's 35, but that's like, Elf for 17 or 18.

He would never, ever let the others know that and generally pretends he's much older.

I think Elena is the only one who isn't in her late teens or equivalent since she's in her early-mid twenties. It just kinda ended up a theme that this team is very young and will be until after Barony and the Fief Timeskip.

Teen Knightans!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Tempting. I do want to get back to Nameless and Accursed, but I've had trouble finding motivation to do this stuff with the pandemic. Maybe writing this up will help me out, especially since I want to learn it well enough to write homebrew Seraphon (read: lizardmen).

Going by some talk in the AoS thread it wouldn't surprise me if we'll see Seraphon in an upcoming supplement because apparently Skink Starpriests were considered but this was before their lore got revamped so the devs weren't exactly sure about how to use them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Wouldn't surprise me, I'm just not patient.

Understandable, because who can resist playing a Skink. :3:

Also I found out there's another RPG named Soulbound while I was doing some googling earlier:
https://www.soulboundrpg.com/

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

I think every single person in AoS is incredibly bad at names.

Old management demanding names they could copyright exclusively really. But yeah, they're not great.

Night10194 posted:

What's interesting to me is the new management at GW calls the End Times one of their last huge mistakes, because they finally realize this is all fiction and wanting to write a different version of Fantasy and a new wargame doesn't mean you need to write a long 'kill the old setting' nonsense story, and indeed, you can still keep producing Fantasy stuff where it works while quietly discontinuing the old wargame.

It'll be interesting to see what they'll do with the Old World game. For all intents and purposes it is the Horus Heresy equivalent to AoS and they're already intending to add things we haven't seen before like an expanded Kislev roster.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Everyone posted:

Once you finish Karak Asgal, maybe you should have some weird Chaos time-thing happen and drop Karl and the others into the Soulbound thing.

Wait, wouldn't that technically turn Gilbert into a deranged ghoul?

Leraika posted:

Any idea why there's such a big emphasis on the soulbond not being able to have children?

I assume its to showcase its a heroic choice with tragic consequences and the Soulbound are forever bound to be heroes and never be able to settle down and establish a family and go back to a sense of normalcy once they're done.

By popular demand posted:

That Age of Sigmar setting seems like something a lot of people would like, it was still incredibly stupid to end WHFRP instead of building it separately.

Yeah, the whole decision to off the Old World like that is probably the biggest smear on Kirby era GW. Which already had a lot incredibly questionable choices done throughout the years. I can understand why it happened because WHFB was a very stagnant game where people didn't buy as many models because armies tended to be large even at a low points level so obviously they wanted something that could sell better. From what I remember, Fantasy never ever sold as much as 40k did so suits seeing that obviously realized they needed to do something.
And then just botched it hard. It actually sold pretty well even early on and got a lot more people into the hobby than Fantasy did but even then it's they hosed up hard and left a lot of people embittered.

Although I think WHFRPG had been dormant for a long time before that whole End Times and switch happened since 2nd Ed is end of Storm of Chaos and that campaign happened mid to late 2000's as I remember it. It was very close to the old 13th Black Crusade event as I remember it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

They could have just retired WHFB gracefully. "It's been a good, thirty year run, but we won't be producing new content for the wargame, and here's our alternate take on the setting." would have done an awful lot better.

It would've yes but this is also the time at GW where the boss talked about the models as "Jewel-like objects of wonder" and just wanted to push products so doing it gracefully was probably never on the table.

Josef bugman posted:

I remember reading about the whole "End Times" horseshit. I couldn't believe the sheer contempt for everyone involved in it.

Based on an interview with one of the writers involved with End Times and AoS early that got posted on Goonhammer a while ago that was upper management meddling.
https://www.goonhammer.com/the-goonhammer-interview-with-james-hewitt-part-1-age-of-sigmar-and-40k/

WHFB 2nd sorta sputtered and died from what I can tell, probably due to lacklustre sales and GW management at the time. Then the license went over to FFG who did the weird card based 3rd edition for some reason. Which is weird considering Dark Heresy was using the same 2nd ed system, to its detriment franky. But we can blame that on them wanting to use something they assumed players would be familiar with and then just kept the corpse alive after Black Industries got shuttered and it got shoveled over to FFG.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 9, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

AoS is strictly heroic fantasy from start to finish. Which is good because it's not something you see covered in tabletop wargames that often. Otherwise they tend to stick to high fantasy like WHFB or something grimmer like Warmachine.

Current GW management is also keen on bringing back a lot of black humor for 40k considering the Regimental Standard, which is wholly an ad fluff piece but it also kinda funny in its absurdity a lot of the time.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Loxbourne posted:

I'll be curious to see how Soulbound handles the "Empire". GW kept the WHFB Empire armies in production even alongside the Stormcast, claiming they were particularly driven humans cosplaying as their ancestors and acting as auxiliaries.

The Free Realms is the Empire of the setting and it's just a general name for the good aligned cities and towns scattered across the realms that worship Sigmar. Their roster has been drastically cut down these days but that's also because you're meant to mix in the non special faction elves and dwarves into the armies alongside some Stormcast since they sometimes have forts in the larger places.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Frankly the most egregious one was the original name for the Kharadon. Which was Steamhead Duardin in this case and it was just really, really bad so I'm glad they went with Kharadon instead to differentiate them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

since Stormcast are usually eight feet tall and spark with electrical power.

Or can be incredibly inhuman depending on how many reforgings they've undergone. Which is probably one of the cooler later additions to them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

One of the more interesting bits of fiction that came out around the time of AoS 2.0 actively dealt with a pair of Stormcast in a romantic relationship with each other.
Not to mention the Hamilcar book has the main character have rather obvious sexual fantasies too about another Stormcast he knows. He finds them incredibly confusing sure but at the same time it does wonders in humanizing them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The lore is where the real meat and potatoes are at for this book, I mean there's a whole chapter about how farming is done in the Realm of Fire section that the game uses as its default location.
What I've read of those parts they've put a ton of effort into actually expanding how those places look and feel and what different kinds of cultures you can find in regions around the main city.

It's obvious that the development for AoS was insanely rushed and incomplete and that constant hearsay of a lot of 1.0 information that is now more or less thrown out the window (include the maps, good lord those maps) has sorta damaged the settings reputation. Doesn't help that a lot of the expansion has also only happened in fiction outside of the game itself, an area most people don't look. Which is a shame because there's been a slew of good AoS books for the past couple of years that has covered a lot of on the ground aspects and not to mention given an interesting insight into how Chaos works as well. (Seriously, read Scourge of Fate, it's fantastic.)
Also pretty sure Spear of Shadows served as inspiration as how Soulbound was made because it is pretty much a Soulbound campaign (sans the soulbinding).

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm all of a sudden getting the nagging feeling that this is Wrath & Glory but with a lot more effort and possibly even far more play testing put into it. Because I think they're using more or less the same system in its core but as far as I can see the math isn't as wonky as it is with W&G.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

From reading both books while they have a similar core, they are actually pretty different systems.

I stand corrected then. Only given the Soulbound mechanics a cursory glance in comparison to the W&G ones.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wrath and Glory 2e looks much better than the original.

The editing daemon shows up on 2e as well as the skill points costs are wrong (Going 2, 6, 23, 20 for total costs.) and the suggested skill points math does not match up at all for archetypes even with the correct costs.
Then there's also a bunch of other goofs such as Extra Damage Value being abbreviated ED in one sentence and then the next sentence says that Extra Damage Dice is also called ED. And then the weapon damage charts just lists it as damage anyway.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Can't actually say for W&G1e because the game got released and then apparently got a 2.0 update before simply disappearing and Ulysses games lost the rights for it.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah I mentioned that, lots of little errors in the PDF that need to be cleaned up.

Ah, yeah I missed that. :doh: At least we're getting a FAQ this month.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, Skragrott. An unexpected source of body horror in AoS thanks to his habit of capturing any oracle, prophet and diviner and turning them into living, babbling fungus so he can use their prophecies to follow the path of the Bad Moon. Wasn't expecting that in my silly goblins army book.

Only keeping up the theme with Goblins being the most sadistic fuckers in Warhammer to make up for their position beneath the orcs.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Battle Brothers put it best: "A goblin is a creature who has always lived with the benefit of never holding the illusion the world is fair."

There are some descriptions of goblins creativity when it comes to torture and misery in I think the Skarsnik book and elsewhere that are just :stonk:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

He also met Genevieve at one point if I remember right, which was a nice callback I did not expect to see.
As I recall Fatshark also gets a mention in the game as Wahlund's Rat Catchers.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

The Adamantine Chain, meanwhile, is home to the first mention I can find of Chaos Dwarves in Age of Sigmar. Not explicitly, but...well, they're based out of the Forge Anathema, a fortress of iron and bone, guarded by living metal automata that are animated by daemons. The Duardin that rule the Forge will work for anyone that will pay them, creating weapons of great and unique power. However, they will serve no one but their own secret god, the Father of Darkness, whose true name must not be spoken before the uninitiated. The Fyreslayers say they are lost and corrupted, making cursed weapons of sentient metal, despair and Duardin bones, quenched in the blood of prisoners. Unfortunately, The Forge Anathema is too well-fortified, and no effort to dislodge them has thus far succeeded.

Chorfs got a minor mention in the 2nd edition core rulebook for AoS as well. Might even have been for this place but can't remember for sure.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Leraika posted:

WHF LARPers.

I have no idea how that'd work.

Considering there are medieval tech level worlds a plenty that shouldn't be too hard to do. Give them laslocks and big hats with feathers.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It's kinda funny that GW has spent more time talking about, and detailing his ideology rather than his character. Scourge of Fate deals with a Chaos Knight wanting to join Archaons Varanguard and spends quite a bit talking about how selling out to a specific Chaos God is a sign of weakness and how much Archaos followers do to actually flip the gods the bird.
At one point they're conducting the opening ritual for an honest to the gods jousting tournament (one part I loved about the book) wherein a number of sacrifices are made and all of them involves the sacrifices getting their head smashed just to spite Khorne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I think they have missed the mark abit with Archy in this case. Hopefully they might go back and cover him a bit better but I think the current main nemesis in AoS right now is Nagash with Chaos playing second fiddle somewhat.