Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I love Pool of Radiance, but I don't miss those encounters with literally dozens of goblins or kobolds. Those games taught you that the only spells worth having are Sleep, Stink Cloud, Fireball, and occasionally Lightning Bolt. Anything that takes all those little fuckers off the board before one of them scores a critical hit.

Escaping Podol Plaza after brazenly stealing some magical artifact from the auction was... something. 'You are attacked by 91 goblins'. 'Let's set combat to Auto mode, go upstairs and make dinner.' There were other areas with similarly absurd fights, but that scenario had them as random encounters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

It was taken over Githyanki and Red Dragons in the Undermountain Adventure path with a portal that led there.

Halaster is such a card.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The cutest little d6s.

Paging Platonicsolid...

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The old grey Forgotten Realms box had a page or two on how much more terrifying dragons are on Faerun, and those rules got folded into 2E by default.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
You know what's even worse?

They reused the fucker for their Death Gate novels. Only they called him Zifnab.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I remember that one from the OG Monster Manual.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Or one table that starts at 11 and goes to 66.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It makes it easier to wall them up.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Libertad! posted:

I will admit that if I ever became a player in a Dragonlance campaign for a change I'd totally love to play a tinker gnome with some crazy-rear end steampunk technology. Ideally if it can be a mech suit or "power glove/gauntlet" to let me punch things real hard despite my small size. Even if it the system we're using doesn't support that concept, I will try reflavoring some magical class if I can.

Way, way back when, TSR put out a small handful of Fighting Fantasy-style gamebooks, softcovers about the size and thickness of the 2E Player's Handbook. The one I have is setting agnostic, but there was one where you piloted a Tinker Gnome battlesuit against draconians and poo poo. So, canonically possible, I think!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I never saw 1E Battlesystem, but if the 2E book is any indication, it was... pretty groggy.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

I would do anything to help Modrons specifically because they are goddamn adorable.

Fun fact: there's a hidden rogue modron party member in Planescape: Torment. He's voiced by none other than Dan Castellaneta.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I liked the idea behind feats... until it turned 'mother may I?' into a licensing system.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The Mythos according to Cthulhutech.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh god. HE wrote that?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I remember that thread.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Rabbit Satan lives in the weak and the wounded... doc.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Hard dragons making hard decisions.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kaza42 posted:

When I first started playing, I was a kid who joined my dad's group of old college buddies as they taught me D&D. You could introduce a new character at any time, level 1, and even control more than one character at a time. We'd have the low level guys hang out behind the main characters and get XP from loot until they were ready to join the fight. Now, as I was a literal child and this was my first experience with games I didn't realize how dumb this was at first. It took until a fight we had against a green dragon, where the dragon did a breath weapon that instantly killed all our low level guys in the back, for me to think "wait, that doesn't seem right". While my dad and his group kept up the "start at level 1" thing, by the time I started running games I quickly settled on "everyone has the same xp at all times" system

A friend of mine still does this in 3.x, and tops it off by giving out per-session XP, so you're even further behind if you can't make it one week.

Nice guy, but I quit playing with him years ago for a reason.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The vomiting llama is definitely Minteresque.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
We ran that whole trilogy. The DM didn't spring Artha and Khadara's relationship on us for a while.

There was an Ecology of the Dragon module that claimed dragon digestion was like a perfect matter to energy conversion process, so, um... yeah?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My DM read over DLE1... any number of times, and ran it so smoothly that I went out and bought the second and third when I saw them on the shelves. I still have vague, fond memories of Cirulon and that weird flesh-tower encounter, probably because we didn't have a cleric in the party.

We never ran the third, because he claimed it'd end in a TPK. I think he just didn't want to.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've always wondered what that makes that whole chain of X's Toughness feats from the first fighter's book. Other than filler.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
We never did DLE3, because the DM said we probably wouldn't figure the solution to the end fight out. gently caress him and gently caress that stupid adventure.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

Also a group of wizards literally want to revenge kill him for killing their friend, so he's probably not long for this world.

This is probably where that 'city on fire' imagery comes from.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm finding this last batch of antagonists far more sympathetic than any give WoD character party.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think it's more a measure of how much derision I hold for the average WoD player party.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think the bronies picked it up from the 4channers. Not that there isn't a huge overlap to begin with.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I liked the Arabian Adventures material enough to pick most of it up when it was still in production. Oriental Adventures though... oof. Just thinking about that reminds me of an old DM's blithely racist character names. Nothing outright malicious, but yikes.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

The Railroading Plague sounds like the most terrifying disease Clan Pestilens could invent.

"Chew-chew!"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Reminds me of an old AD&D adventure, where one chapter opened with the stipulation that the PCs must be sent to jail for something.

Think the same book had a hook where a pixie NPC took a liking to a PC, and it actually suggested the party go looking for a potion of diminution or growth to make a presupposed dalliance work.

...now I'm wondering if Ed Greenwood rattled that one off.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. If I were at home, I'd dig it out.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Ooh, ooh. Dark Sun supplement, Mind Lords of the Last Sea. It included an adventure that, as written, both killed at least one PC in the first encounter, and would result in destabilizing the hidden city by killing one of the three titular Mind Lords and rendering the rest of the supplment a big question mark.

Said first encounter is basically the Mind Lord in question popping in, using a custom Teleport Brain power, and loving off again.

Granted Dark Sun had that character tree, where you'd presumably have several backup PCs per player ready... but still. Christ.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Yikes, that ending. Keeping with the 'ROUSes don't exist' schtick is annoying enough, but essentially being run out of town feels like a kick in the pants. I mean, you could play it for black humour, but it feels like one of those 'oh, and the PCs get screwed out of their reward again' moments writ large.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Libertad! posted:

Lutheria is a cross between Hades and Dionysus, a harvester of souls and granter of insanity who encourages her followers to care about nothing but themselves and take what they will without consequence. Unsurprisingly the squickier elements of Odyssey shine through involving her or her worshipers; most NPCs who are sexual predators are loyal to her, and the goddess herself is a rapist in the “use enchantment magic to make people have sex with each other” kind of way.

Yeah, this is where I checked out. I don't need that kind of verisimilitude.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Fivemarks posted:

I mean, this is a thing an evil god is doing, so of course its loving terrible. Also, knowing my greek myth, there's a 50/50 chance you get to stomp up to her and kick some godly rear end.

Yes, and it's something I don't loving need in my games.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Probably linking them from imgur or another image host.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Leraika posted:

At least WW was kind enough to shunt the 'this character option is actually almost impossible to use in a functioning party' things out of the main book.

Pretty much my thinking, too. Derangement bullshit aside, you've got one type who takes penalties from being too close to allies, and another who is violently antisocial. poo poo, I've known a number of people who'd have derailed a game by playing like a Wayward to start with.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Bystanders feel more like the traditional oWoD Ally subsplat than 'proper' PCs to me.

Also, I don't think I've met anyone who's actually run one of those Preludes they always devoted a few pages to.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I remember original Changeling being gently caress-awful for that illegible chickenscratch bullshit. The corebook started with pages of photographed chickenscratch that was so bad, people started passing around a transcript someone did of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
A friend played a scathach sidhe, one of the ones who stuck around when the rest of the sidhe hosed off for Arcadia.

My nocker, who had four or five dots in the past life merit and ancestral nightmares of the Accordance War, howled with laughter when he found out the self-styled nobles ditched their own in the scramble to flee.

For me, the best part of that changeling was paying the lippiest of lip service to the SCA wankery the sidhe imposed. That's sadly not saying much.