Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Loxbourne posted:

The disease was clearly smallpox or possibly syphilis - scarring or facial lesions would handily explain the terrible charisma.

Being half-mollusc also explains it pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's a genius way to prevent infiltration. Just give your people so many duty hours they don't have time to attend secret-society meetings and get kicked out.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hasn't Dragonmech been covered in this thread already? I felt sure that it had.

Edit:
https://writeups.letsyouandhimfight.com/mors-rattus/dragonmech/
https://writeups.letsyouandhimfight.com/mors-rattus/dragonmech-steam-warriors/

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 30, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's hasn't been washed for 300 years.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Space scientists: What if we made a cow that could murder us all? And also a sheep except it was BIGGER and FLUFFIER?

I love this poo poo.

I assume the scientist that was going to make the woolsheep able to murder us all got shoved into a locker.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Everyone posted:

It's the best sheep... until someone decides to make a "better" one that's bigger, fluffier and with like Komodo dragon and wolverine genes or something.

What if we make the wool strands monomolecular?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Haqqislam has the strongest claim to being the 'good guys' of Infinity.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Leraika posted:

I'm really glad that Summon Skate makes it clear that any sort of wheels or blades are a-ok, including wheelchairs.

e: some perverse part of me wants to make a figure skater whose method of choice is a horse though

Easy. Give the horse rollerblades.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

spider bethlehem posted:

These are your movers, your shakers, your strikers, your haters. Blessed with the ineffable cosmic ability to move diagonally

NANI?!?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cyberzombies are such nightmares that they generate a magical background count just by walling around existing. The sort of thing you normally only find at the site of particularly nasty atrocities.
Your soul long ago decided that it wanted no part of this and attempted to gently caress off to the afterlife, only to be shackled to your should-be-corpse by chains of blood magic.
They're pretty much Deadlands cyborgs but somehow even worse.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pakxos posted:

Been a while since I played it, but I think even the 2077 video game has it so that 'cyberpsychosis' tends to be from a bunch of factors like getting your drivers scrambled or having your corporate overlords use you as a field test rather than someone's soul juice leaking out every time the ripperdoc pokes them.

There are three main causes in 2077 IIRC
1) Experimental/trial cyberware loving up your nervous system
2) Lack of proper medical care that your implants require, causing cascading fuckups
3) Purely human issues that lead to someone going Killdozer using the equipment available to them (heavy cyber)

There's also a definite correlation between getting tons of highly-visible murder-optimised cyberware and being an rear end in a top hat who enjoys killing people, but the causal link runs the other way.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 7, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tsilkani posted:

ALEPH doesn't like that the Nomads exist, but only because it genuinely thinks that it can do the best job of caring for humanity. It doesn't hate them so much it wants to kill every last one of them. Think more of a parent watching one of their children do all sorts of things they don't agree with, rather than two enemies squaring off.

Plus the EI is a rather more pressing concern.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In at least one edition of Shadowrun, sufficiently serious injuries could cause Essence loss whether or not you got cybernetic replacement of the missing bits.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I'll always vote for ALEPH. That the AI that supports humanity decided one of the best ways to help was to turn Greek mythological heroes into live action anime shonen battle characters is just :discourse:.

What's not clear is which came first: the Recreations or the anime about them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ALEPH clearly borrows a lot from Iain M Bank's 'Minds' in terms of being benevolent-but-flawed (and bringing up the philosophical question of "what is benevolence?) and IIRC both settings have a conceit that there's no point building a perfect logical emotionless AI because it will promptly cease to exist in any observable fashion. AIs above a certain level need flaws to anchor them to us and to the real, and you might as well choose flaws that will be recognisable and understandable to the people that will be interacting with it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I've only been skimming the Infinity review (sorry, Mors), is there a reason she is wearing what look like robo-heels?

Aleph has an anime problem.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

The Devil Dogs are a member of the USAriadnan Marine Corps. While the Rangers are the ones the public celebrates, the enemies of Ariadna know the Marines are terrifying. The 116th Marine Regiment held the line against the Antipodes in the First Battle of the Wall, and because of that, their descendants have a much higher than normal change of being Dogfaces. While the people of Ariadna have little love for Dogfaces and Antipodes on average, the descendants of the 115th are also, on average, very patriotic, and many have joined the Marines themselves. A Dogface with an Antipode partner (controlled via brain implants) could be a devastating scout team, and the Marines were more than happy to use them to hunt out specific enemy targets or find contraband much faster than a human could. The volunteers were turned into the 2nd Assault Battalion - now much better known as the Devil Dogs, a name taken from World War 1 American Marines. They are given the most dangerous missions almost exclusively, and it takes all they have to survive much of the time, but the Devil Dogs have learned to cooperate well with their Antipode partners and are horribly effective in battle.

"Partners".

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It seems like it was pretty progressive and aware for its time. Which is still pretty wince-inducing for the 2020s, but they were trying.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Kind of hilarious tho that Alia, comma, a literal infant, is a 5.

St. Alia of the knife

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Possibly the poison blade and shield-snooper should be an exception to the normal rule, and you DON'T get to keep them after use.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Young Freud posted:

We have just folded space from Ix. Many machines on Ix. New machines. Better than those on Richesse.

That sounds like blasphemy talk.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's probably completely impractical, but it would be funny if you picked on a faction and ghola'd every leader that wasn't a face-dancer.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Siivola posted:

What bell curve system specifically are you thinking here? The dice roll alonf can’t create those effects.

(Or really any effects.)

2d6 gives a bell-shaped distribution of the values 2-12. So does most any multi-die roll.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

By popular demand posted:

The thing about genetics is you want a wide and diverse gene pool to keep evolutionary flexibility- a virus attacking the empress's genes could wipe out a most of the Imperium before a cure could be found.

In Conquest Born by Celia Friedman features an interstellar empire with a ruling caste that went super heavy into eugenics a few hundred years back and made themselves all tall and strong and perfect and domineering, but the resultant tiny genepool has left them horrifically vulnerable to a certain common disease and now they're desperately trying to sustain their current population (let alone increase it) while trying to stop the lower castes from figuring out just how few ruling-caste there are these days.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Go full Jon Prophet. The mecha are made using the empress's DNA too. And some of the spacecraft.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mellonbread posted:

if (the Emperor) purposefully weakens everyone without stepping into the power vacuum, you're just handing strongholds to whoever got a good card in their starting draw.

Isn't this precisely what happened in the book?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What I meant.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A 20mm gatling would be about the size of the entire chopper.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

But would it fly?

If you pointed it down and held down the trigger then yes, though only as long as the ammo holds out.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Wait - truck was a character?

She moonlights as an isekai recruiter.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Loxbourne posted:

....why does the kit include a live chicken?

Why does the bomb-making kit include a live chicken?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Peacock

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

open_sketchbook posted:

all i'm really hearing here is that after im done the tanks i need to make a flying circus expansion where i really take the limiters off and go Full Horny

really put things in perspective

Go full anime and make horny-powered tanks.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GimpInBlack posted:

I said last update that the Survivor planes were some of my favorites in the core, but the Students' are probably my actual favorites, because they're all "batshit mad science projects" (I mean, even more than most early 20th-century aviation was batshit mad science). They range from a state-of-the-art prototype boasting an enclosed, pressurized cockpit and a goddamn laser gun to a plane that literally does everything about aeronautics wrong to try to "prove" something, to a perfectly-respectable biplane scout turned, for unspeakable reasons, into this abomination:

Student: They said it couldn't be done.
Mechanic: Actually I said it shouldn't be done.
Student: Details!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GimpInBlack posted:

And if you armed your biplane with six flamethrowers each facing a different direction like those apocryphal "South African car alarms" from the 80s-90s, you might have had a Goth footsoldier attempt to planejack you!

I think it's called highjacking when it occurs in midair.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

t3isukone posted:

So What Is This Bluebeard's Bride Thing, Anyway?

So the goal is to explore rooms and get enough resources and lay enough traps to defeat Bluebeard on his return as he proceeds through the house towards you? Like a reverse dungeon-crawl mixed with Home Alone?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BTW: punt guns are massively upscaled shotguns used to shoot a whole flock of waterfowl AT ONCE.

Are the rules for some kind of Farmer-built giant blunderbuss loaded with black powder and miscellaneous scrap? Muzzle-loading so it only gets a single shot per mission, but it will gently caress you up at knife-range.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So what I'm getting from this is that the Tohaa are humanity's salvation from the EI but the EI is humanity's salvation from the Tohaa.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

largely by how unbalanced all the splats are, ignoring the lawnchair argument - vamps are often the weakest of all the lines and get absolutely shredded by woofs (which is why the (1) werewolf that showed up in bloodlines is treated like the T-1000 by the vamps)

In particular awoos are super strong out-of-the-gate. They get massively buffed strength and soak, aggravated-damage claws and multiple actions per turn as part of the welcome basket before they even spend a single point on Gifts. Other splats could do these things too but not until well past chargen and only if they focused on them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Forsaken werewolves have the objective of keeping the spirit world and real world seperate. Don't care about 'good spirits' vs 'bad spirits', just want them to stay over there and we'll stay over here.

In practice werewolves are also part-human and are going to put a priority on hunting spirits associated with pain and negative things, the Compliments spirit can hang around on the bottom of the 'poo poo to deal with' list until it actually becomes a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

potatocubed posted:

Seriously! A fast-talking penguin which acts with Maximum Skulduggery even when they're just trying to buy groceries

They can't be expected to keep track of what is and isn't illegal in every picayune little port. Better to always act like everything's illegal, that way you'll never be surprised.