Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks inklesspen, also last thread I figured out how to read your name instead of pronouncing it like some horrible near-German word. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:orb:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hostile V posted:

Every time I go there I expect it to be different. It isn't. Ever.

nice

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rodbeard posted:

I don't know with how overwrought and angsty ever other WoD book is I'm glad there's one that's just gently caress it I'm going to eat this guy and call it an ironic punishment. I would love to be running around as a slasher movie villian while everyone else is trying out their Anne Rice rollplay.

Oh good, this again.

When Beast was reviewed the first time there was some seriously brokebrained person posting about how great it was blah blah blah for pages at a time. Don’t be that guy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Chuck Tingle may be the greatest hero of our generation.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mercenarynuker posted:

I feel like I missed something for Promethean, because whenever I read the phrase "generative act," I just imagine one of the player characters hunched over, jerking off onto a corpse

They have so many Proper Noun Names for every other thing in the book it seems like a weird omission.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MinistryofLard posted:

[b]Let's Review: Warhammer 40,000 Kill Team

I loved the 1E Necromunda, which was itself based on 2E 40K and I’m interested to see how this compares.

Separately, up until the Zeky I was generally sympathetic toward Prometheans but after reading those characters I’m now in the “kill all Frankensteins” camp.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Selachian posted:

The only exploit I ever heard of was for the part of the game where Buck teams up with you -- I understand a lot of people deliberately let him die, or killed him themselves, because he dropped some of the best loot in the game.

What kind of monster kills Buck Rogers over a gun??? :smith:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Young Freud posted:

That Colt M1911 he carries does almost as much damage as a Rocket Pistol but doesn't flake out when it runs into ECM.

Yeah, I played the heck out of CtD in my Commodore 64 in grade school so I remember he had good stuff.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Can’t wait to see what kind of mental illnesses and/or sex stuff WW/OPP handle with their trademark blend of nuance and subtlety this time!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

golden bubble posted:

At this point I'm ok with Nier Automania hacking, where cyberspace is a big shootemup minigame.

Can't really do that in tabletop very well though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Young Freud posted:

idk that's how TORG handled hacking the GodNet.

That’s not how I remember it working.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Night10194 posted:

It's a playtest document from an old open playtest. I wrote Fantasy Flight and asked if it was okay to write about in public, they said "We don't care, not our license anymore", so I wanted to cover it as a bit of history. It's no longer freely available and was a buy-in public beta in 2013. I know it's a little unusual, but it and the second draft document from the same playtest are very interesting in the way they show an attempt to revise the system that was then immediately walked back for a path of least resistance copy-paste book, which is what actually came to print. It isn't leaked so much as I bought into the playtest back when it was going on and still have the documents from it. The actual final product has been out for like 5 years, and was the last major book FFG published for the WH40kRP line.

E: If this is too much of a grey area, though, I'll stop and take a look at something else.

Please continue regardless of whether or not inklesspen chooses to archive it!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

SIGMATA posted:

America’s Left Wing is degenerating in its own ways. Socalled Leftists have allied with alt-Right provocateurs to “own the libs,” their worldviews formed by the same digital cesspool of 4chan memes, RT propaganda, and InfoWars conspiracies. Leftist “anti-imperialists” provide political cover for Assad’s genocidal imperialism, all to the benefit of Putin, a murderous imperialist capitalist par excellence. Tyrants who crush the people while giving lip service to Leftist values, like Nicaragua’s Daniel Ortega, are also getting a pass.
Christ on a spike, what a bunch of stupid assholes.

haha cool

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jerik posted:

I've found your review of Forbidden Lands interesting. If I haven't been directly engaging with it, it's only because I didn't have anything specific to say about it; it doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed reading it. Actually, the fact that the game is so unfamiliar to most F&F readers may be why there's less engagement with it than about some of the other games. If you look at most of the comments about some of the other games currently being reviewed that are getting more engagement—Spire, the Dragonlance boxed set, to a lesser degree the Buck Rogers game—most of the comments are from people relating their own experience with the game or the setting, or relaying other information they know about it. Most of the posters here don't know about Forbidden Lands, so they don't have their own experience with it or opinions about it to post. That doesn't mean they're not interested in reading it. If anything, the fact that this game is so little known may make it a more interesting or significant subject for a review than the games and settings most people already know. (Compare the also currently ongoing review of The Dark Eye, a game which more people here are likely to have heard of than Forbidden Lands, but which still isn't terribly well known to most people outside Germany... note that it isn't getting nearly as much engagement as the Dragonlance or Spire reviews either, probably for similar reasons as yours. It's no reflection on the quality of the review or on how much people are enjoying it.)

As for "the last time that happened", that had nothing to do with the style or quality of your review, only of the content. Your Deviant review was (IMO, at least) well written; it was just maybe premature. You shouldn't let that deter you from doing other reviews. (Until this comment, I actually hadn't realized you were the same poster from the Deviant review—not that it really would have changed anything if I had.)

If you don't feel like continuing your review right now and want to take a break, of course there's nothing wrong with that. (Heck, I've sort of been taking way too much of a break myself with my Deities & Demigods review... I will get to the next part soon(ish), I promise!) But don't be discouraged from continuing, or from doing other reviews. I don't think amount of engagement is necessarily a reliable measure of how interesting people are finding the review.

Remember too that every review doesn't have to be a 20,000 word Let's Read, though that's what it's drifted towards. Some of the better reviews from the beginning days of this series of threads were the ones that hauled up the weird or silly things about obscure games and finished the book in a couple of posts. If walls of text aren't fun and you don't feel like it's worth the effort, build a curated sandcastle of words instead.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 30, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

I've always enjoyed the Degenesis review, I just wanna say, I just don't always have something to add because half the time it's such a mess of Proper Nouns that I know it's weird, but it's too weird and confusing for me to have an opinion on other than "wow that's some weird poo poo."

Largely same. I find it borderline impenetrable but that’s not the reviewer’s fault.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Snorb posted:

Just a note on the Lunarian mass drivers: Mass drivers are not given stats in the XXVc box set, but the expanded equipment guide does stat them. They are a rocket or ground installation weapon, the one-mile version of which will ruin your day unless your rocket has a way to take 5,120 damage and not explode. So you can see how Luna manages to deter the PCs RAM and NEO from using Lunarian space as a battlefield!

Not surprisingly, thanks to how vehicle-scale weapons work on humanoid characters, taking a direct hit from a one-mile long mass driver projectile will immediately blow your character into blood pulp (unless, of course, you can somehow survive 51,200 damage.) But that requires one sick mofo of a DM to do that to you.

Go out like Chewbacca did in the books before the current trilogy!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Moldless Bread posted:

@ Cooked Auto:

Woops, thanks for the heads up.

On another note, I need an image in my next update. Could someone take a look at this post and tell me why the picture isn't showing up?

You need to get the url for the actual image file, not just the imgur page it’s on.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Seatox posted:

"But they're listed in Mein Kamph as Always Chaotic Evil!" protested the stormtrooper, as he reloaded his sub-machinegun.

what the gently caress

This is the second Nazi adjacent poo poo post I’ve encountered today in otherwise pleasant threads.

The FYAD closure is really loving with this place.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Seatox posted:

You perhaps missed the discussion about orc children, Garry Gygax's love of genocide and D&D alignments?

You’re right, that kind of post is very much on-brand for you. Cheers!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

If the main effect of the mythos is "everyone commits a lot more rapes" then it's way more prosaic and boring than its fans like to paint it.

We already had a review of

Bieeanshee posted:

The Mythos according to Cthulhutech.

:argh:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I’ll just go on and scratch a few more checks in the “Eclipse Phase may in fact suck rear end” column.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hey System Mastery, Cheese Dudes has one less competitor:

Boxturret posted:

it died op

literally 3 days ago

i don't know if this is the same one you're thinking of but i do remember this one coming up before

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Everyone posted:

BTW, was there any review of Kuro by Cubicle Seven games? Apparently it's a horror game set in Japan circa 2046 about a more horror-themed version of the "Sixth World" from Shadowrun bringing magic and scary weird poo poo to a future Japan that likely had plenty of scary, weird poo poo to begin with because future Japan.

Archive says yes in 2017 though it wasn’t completed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SGC, if you put a title at the beginning of your review posts it makes it easier for inklesspen to add them to the archive.

Pretty wild that they namechecked a real organization aside the barely disguised ones.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Why are the Dragonlance metallic dragons so paralyzed by the threat of something happening to their eggs? Having your kids held hostage definitely is terrible, but is there something else like “no more eggs ever”?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Night10194 posted:

I will never cease to be amazed at the 'well if you die, just make a character who is terrible next to the leveled up party members' stuff.

Everyone died all the time so you were never more than level 3 at any point anyway.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I feel like gods appreciate the aroma of good bbq even if they aren’t hungry.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

At least it's not an air-quotes sexy pose that would sever her spine? I guess?

Still manages to get boob and butt in the same shot, which was the entire point all along.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The only time I played D&D I started murdering kender on sight after the third session.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Buck Rogers XXVc: The 25th Century

Jupiter: America's Dairyland

Metis

Now there’s a blast from the past.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ALL HAIL KING TORG

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ghostbusters RPG came out in 1986. 89 was the 2nd edition Ghostbusters International ruleset. Star Wars 1E was 1987.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

a kitten posted:

naming their knock off Falcon the Bicentennial Bluejay.

God tier name.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Just talk about stuff that’s weird or bad; the Let’s Read treatment isn’t always necessary.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

Is there a post with a primer on all the different Mage terms anywhere? I'm picking up a lot from the context of these posts, but there's just so much it's a little bewildering at times.

https://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/mors-rattus/mage-the-awakening-second-edition/

Hit the archive and ctrl-f for the words you need.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A PC group wandering into a conflict between Sophia and Viridian would be amusing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Little bit. It's what you get when one of your hobbies is Weird Internet Tourism and you decide to learn what the bronies have been up to since they sank into the depths of nerd obscurity.

I got your back on this one, if you brush up against bronies anywhere you’ll hear about tulpas pretty quickly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Mutant Chronicles
Part 1 – A Swedish game company fumbles their way to an international hit franchise

Thanks for doing this one - I got the Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel and Blood Berets box games at severe discount many years ago and I kind of wondered what they were tied into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

I confess that it never occurred to me, as someone with English as a second language, that "gentry" was a masculine gendered term. What's the feminine version?

English is my first language, I’m no slouch on the vocabulary front, and I didn’t know that either.