Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They speak all languages that anyone speaks as a native language. Dead languages don't work, and at the very least you need a community of native speakers -- adopting a baby and speaking nothing but Aramaic to them all their life isn't good enough, although a whole orphanage might be.

There are still native Aramaic speakers actually! :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

thatbastardken posted:

driving the Irish out of Ireland was a benefit. more room to import stout english yeomen to manage the farms and fields of the aristocracy. these days you'd call it genocide.

Umm English emigration to Ireland wasn't particularly a thing. Scottish, sure, but not particularly because of the Famine.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

And yet the Good Wizards and Neutral Wizards still built these clubhouses alongside the Bad Wizards and maintain them together.

If your dedication to Doing Magic is stronger than your dedication to not letting someone debone peasants with magic, perhaps you ain't Good.

I mean the US generally likes to think of itself as Good but it didn't declare war on Nazi Germany in 1933 just because Hitler got elected. This actually seems pretty realistic for D&D.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JcDent posted:

6 months to roll half a continent with medievalish tech seems... too little, unless you go hard on magic.

Let me tell u about the Mongols

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Night10194 posted:

It originally came out of the fact that all their languages descend from the Old One tongue. Which is still true as of Realms of Sorcery, though a linguist would probably be annoyed by it since they're just speaking French, German and Spanish, but then linguistics are one of my huge academic weakpoints. I am terrible with them.

...all of which are descendants of proto-Indo-European ofc.

(There's a reason the word one/un/eins/uno is similar between those languages for eg)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Look at the wikipediea page for linguistics or something, loving christ. rear end in a top hat..

:ironicat:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

I don't think the creepy sex stuff was never a thing in the games themselves, I can't remember ever seeing it cropping up in the rulebooks and it's just been some thing that the fanbase has tacked onto it and its just become synonymous.

Um it's definitely been in some of the minis. OG daemonettes come to mind.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I dont know what you lot get up to in America, yes I know about your definition of pudding, but black pudding specifically is a blood sausage and not even a dessert.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Wrestlepig posted:

There’s a bit on sex as well: prostitution is legal and people don’t really care about gender, which is neat. On the other hand, the brothel industry gets pretty messy when enmeshed in dystopian capitalism: they mention things like Bunraku parlors (japanese for Puppet) where the workers are given surgical alterations and personality-changing chips to resemble celebs and similar, which is pretty nasty.

Tbf this is literally ripped right out of Neuromancer

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

I liked the old SR gear books from I think 2nd edition with the BBS-style conversations under each product, including barely-related tangents. Clearly, FASA predicted the internet's true form in 1993.

I mean, Usenet had been around since 1980 already. The internet is older than you think.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

LatwPIAT posted:

The tone of Warhammer 40,000 has changed drastically over the last 33 years, and a lot of the setting's core elements were solidified long, long before anyone here got into it, which makes trying to figure out what it was "originally" like difficult.

Speak for yourself. I had the original Rogue Trader rules :corsair:

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 12, 2020

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Midjack posted:

I suspect if you live in New Orleans you know about it and otherwise you wouldn’t.

Or if you watched Treme I guess.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gatto Grigio posted:

The Imperium as the final evolution of the Skaven explains a lot about the 40K setting. I love it.

I mean ratling snipers are a canonical thing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mllaneza posted:

In Soviet-era Poland :colbert: :colbert:

I mean I grew up in Soviet era Great Britain, doesn't make me Soviet.

Edit: I've been to Hell (Michigan). Not nearly as warm as everyone makes out!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Night10194 posted:

I suppose in some sense this gets at the other reason I don't like the Deer Sidebar. If they want Deermocracy to be actual Democracy just make it democracy and make a case for democratic government, don't dress it up with a magic deer and the idea that someday perhaps they'll understand they've always been a democracy and do away with the superficial trappings of calling it a Kingdom. Making a case for democracy is good! Otherwise, it's more fun to use the setup here to examine what people following the deer can say about government.

I mean you can keep it a kingdom even, plenty of democratic kingdoms out there :britain::respek::norway:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JcDent posted:

Hey, remember when Flames of War launched a Vietnam starter for NVA and it was all tanks?

Depending on when we're talking about, 'lots of tanks' can be just fine for the North Vietnamese Army as opposed to Vietcong.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

I would also like to point out that WW1 machineguns were watercooled monsters with typically a three-man crew.

Lewis gun says hai

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

The attitude he's describing is more like what they call "Whig history."

'If Napoleon had drowned as a baby, some other general would have created the mass army of columns' - Napoleon did not invent the levee en masse, he was just a random artillery captain at the time, nor the idea of exporting the revolution.

Oh also, the French did not aim to fight in column by the time Napoleon was around.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Angrymog posted:

Castle Lego is even older, I remember a friend having some before 1987

Right. Sure, Grandparents, though?!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

quote:

A ring of ICBM silos was built to protect the site

This is uh not how ICBMs work except in the most absolutely and non geographically dependent sense possible :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

LatwPIAT posted:

It works if you're trying to protect the site from snooping civilians and people asking too many questions about it. Toss up a ring of ICBM silos around it and nobody's going to ask very many questions about why they're not allowed near the weird old mine.

Hmm true, though it WILL suddenly also draw the attention of the Russisn and Chinese spy agencies and satellite reconnaissance...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

Maritals is often perceived as the "smart guy" combat art

Errr, I don't know what YOU get up to in the bedroom....:shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nessus posted:

I did remember hearing some brain geniuses theorize that the Aztecs must have had regular amounts of human meat in their diet because there's simply no way humans could survive or thrive without regular intake of generous amounts meat or, as a barely acceptable substitute, fish or dairy.

Have they, uh, never heard of vegans?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

This book is dedicated to the Legends of Cora-Ni, the Peaceful Lands of Lyr, and Brother Grom, wherever they are, whatever they’re doing: You will always live in our hearts

- this is 100% the authors old role-playing group

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Spoiler: If you ever make it to the the Changeling book on the UK called Isle of the Mighty the writers (who were not from there) seem to be under the impression you can just walk everywhere.

OK as a British guy I would love to see a British guy look at this one ngl :allears:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Kurieg posted:

One of the sample PCs in the Changing Breeds books is a spanish werehorse with this in his blurb.

Also his first change happened when his grandfather locked them both in a barn on the night of his 16th birthday and beat him with a whip until he changed.

edit: also lo and behold Look who *also* shows up in the sample PCs.

The...'mighty Andalusians'? That's like saying the 'mighty English' as a fantasy non-human race. Look here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andalusia it's a real place!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mellonbread posted:

Unknown Armies' heart is in the right place, but doesn't always succeed at this. The two worst offenders I can think of are the Dipsomancer

You what now? As in dispomaniac, as in old timey word for an alcoholic? :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

White Wolf seems to have had a lot of people who never even visited major cities but had Ideas about what they're like.

I do like the idea it's super easy to make fog in London. It's not the 19th century any more, we fixed that with strict pollution emission rules in the 50s. Beijing, maybe.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

By popular demand posted:

That's a bit late to talk about minicomputers and mainframes and it's certainly a choice to increase the security level based on the computer's size but I'm pleased they were satisfied with a simple abstraction for searching and cracking rather than build a new combat system for that.

Mainframes are still a thing as we speak to be fair. For minicomputers I would mostly read Unix (not Linux yet) RISC based servers, which are also still a thing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

joylessdivision posted:

The only Black Dog book I've actually read was "Chanel House's of Europe"

I assume this is a Toreador source book :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Asterite34 posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure that's in the canon of any denomination a person would reasonably call "mainstream." Like I'm not gonna go to Sunday Mass and hear the preacher tell me to open my Bible up to the Ars Goetia. At least not around here, I dunno, maybe church is way cooler in your neighborhood.

And if you do maybe look for the exits, if I remember my Charles Stross, before you end up summoning Nyarlathotep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Libertad! posted:

but has stuff that isn’t exactly “Lawful Evil” such as leading a rebellion, exposing treason, and fighting in a war.

So uh it is pious, for example, to become George Washington and lead a treasonous rebellion, and also pious to expose yourself as doing it? Does the Declaration of Independence count for double piousness? :shobon: