Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

hyphz posted:

Yes, D&D calls one of its default classes "Sorcerer". But it doesn't forbid PCs from calling themselves sorceresses.

Pathfinder has an extension class called "Witch". A Witch would probably cause confusion at the table if they referred to themselves as a Wizard because that's a completely different class, in the same way as in the Discworld setting. Thus there is a reason why Witch and Wizard are not gendered equivalents, and the issue does not arise so directly.

But The Excellents has this strange combination. It doesn't give any reason why "princess" isn't gendered in the setting, and it implicitly forbids playing princes. And the literal wording is "the Universe doesn't care how you express your gender". But calling yourself a princess is expressing a gender. I'm not sure if the implication is that a) all The Excellents characters are female, but possibly trans female; or b) a PC can be a cis male who calls themselves a princess for lulz and power. b) is a far more negative message about gender than anything implied by allowing the word to be flipped.

"It says it's a game about playing princesses," isn't really fair. By the same logic, since "Vampire is a game about playing vampires", nobody could complain if it banned playing vampiresses.

I'll be blunt, I don't understand your objection, and this elaboration only further confuses me. And the dichotomy you've constructed rather sucks.

Why would a cis dude or otherwise non-femme princess be in it "for lulz and power"? As far as I can see, "Princess" is simply the title for a person with a specific set of duties in this game, who is empowered in the execution of those duties. The fact that the title comes across as feminine to us, the audience, is assuredly intentional, but that doesn't stop it from having a specific, different meaning in world of The Excellents. And I don't think the game owes us a lore explanation as to exactly why that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU