Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Hey, I'll take a B+. I've gotten worse grades for better work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

LeSquide posted:

How could you leave the lucrative world of tabletop RPGs behind?

I mean, when the work was there I made good money. If it'd been more consistent I wouldn't have left. Well, probably. By the end I was pretty sick of nerds.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Libertad! inspired me to pick up The Nightmares Underneath, and holy poo poo is this game rad.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Barudak posted:

Thats what I'd be mining if I were a horror author. That and the insidious secret behind Malort

You better not be talking poo poo about Malort. I unironically love that dumb poo poo, and I even have a buddy who distills his own.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Barudak posted:

I love Malort, which is why I know its insidious.

Fair. I mean, I drink a lot of slivovicia and use that as a "shock glass" when people visit my home for the first time, so I'm pretty used to aggressive folk liquors.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Midjack posted:

Even more to the point, a lot of goods are differentiated largely on aesthetics and ergonomics, neither of which is represented mechanically unless you start tracking individual finger lengths on your character to the 0.1mm scale. I’ve gone back and forth in my gaming career but ultimately have decided that for stuff like this, just have a mechanical HANDGUN item and skin it as whatever you want.

That's how we did it in FFG's Star Wars. "Blaster Pistol (stats) Models include: xxx, yyy, zzz". Half the fun was coming up with make/model names.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

Although I feel that changed over time, especially when you look at the Gadgets & Gear book that came out at the end of the line.

Either way if it was a near future game I'd probably just go generic weapon types like pistol/smg/rifle/assault rifle/shotgun/longrifle/machine gun and have the player make up the models after that.
Could be granulated a bit further if needed but never anything specific beyond holdout/light/heavy pistol and such.

I wasn't on the Gadgets and Gear book, unfortunately. I was on the ships book, which was the last SW book I worked on.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

I really wasn't sure for how long you'd worked on those anyway.

I was on Star Wars for the entire run. I started on the very first drafts of Edge and worked all the way to the end. Still really proud of that work, too.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

You did good. It's a good simple system that I wish FFG had used more beyond the failed venture of a generic version of it.

What, Genesys? I was on that from the beginning, too. It's way tighter than SW is. I use it for everything that's not PbtA or D&D. Genesys didn't fail, and is still in production.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Proud Rat Mom posted:

Also L5R 5e is great.

Lawl, I was on that, too. FFG paid a lot of my bills between 2009 and 2019.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

megane posted:

Shadowrun is fun, but honestly, what it mostly makes me wish for is a new cyberpunk IP, unburdened with these eighties ideas of the future. Cyberpunk is even more relevant than ever, but the genre has fallen behind reality - the primary touchstones are still things like Neuromancer (36 years old), Snow Crash (28), and Blade Runner (38). I'd love to see an all new Shadowrun that ditches all those decades of metaplot and starts fresh.

The Sprawl by Ardens Ludere may be what you're looking for.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

I wonder if this is GW trying to get around the awkward Margaret Thatcher joke they're stuck with in Ghazgull's full name. It's an old 80s joke stuck right there in canon, mocking the hyper-serious plot material all around it.

As someone who's worked with GW's IPs professionally (40K specifically) I can assure you that the current pack of GW employees do not get the joke and, despite being Brits, probably don't even understand the reference. I once had a GW bigwig editor tell me, with a straight face, that all 1,000,000 (or however many there are) space marines talk and act the same way in canon. Nobody over there understands the joke in WH/40K.

Orks are the best because they're the only ones having any fun. That Eldar was right, they live in paradise.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Night10194 posted:

There's an entire bit in Deathwatch about how no Space Marine uses contractions, slang, etc.

When I was playing Sgt. Martinez I admit he did so constantly mostly out of spite for how dumb that kind of generalization is.

Yeah, I know. It's horseshit. Apparently every space marine talks like an Ultramarine. I can't imagine, like, a Space Wolf or an Imperial Fist talking like a goddamned Ultramarine. I wrote this whole thing in a Deathwatch adventure once where, if the PCs lingered on a ship's bridge too long dithering about what to do, the Brother Captain would threaten them with something like, "Brothers, do you not have enough to do? If not, I'm sure my bosun can find you work cleaning the heads. If that doesn't suit you, or if you do have work to do, get the hell off my quarterdeck". GW told me a space marine would never say that. Writing for Deathwatch was infuriating, more so than the other lines. That said, I did sneak Walter from The Big Lebowski into that book as an Imperial Fists venerable dreadnaught named Brother Szobchak. Once the players get him active again (they find him in stasis) he insists on tagging along with them, making their lives more complicated, and bitching about how modern space marines aren't a patch on his battle brothers who died face down in the mud of a thousand worlds... I still don't know how I got that one past GW.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Night10194 posted:

My god, you wrote the Dreadnought whose 'ancient wisdom' always amounts to 'I'm bored as poo poo, this mission COULD REALLY USE A DREADNOUGHT'? Thank you. He was one of the best NPCs in the books.

E: In general I think Deathwatch actually had pretty good writing, even if you could tell the writers were having to work around the GW of the time. It had one of the stronger themes of the 40kRP lines (even if I'm not 100% sure it was intentional?) with the Marines having to confront that the Imperium was losing this war because it was acting like the Imperium and that the Lord Commander was a loving idiot who believed every propaganda line about willpower and victorious spirit, flailing around as they slowly lost while the propaganda-poisoned Marines had to overcome it if they were going to make any progress. Despite existing as Imperial showponies and constantly being tempted to slip back into the warm delusion of manufactured heroism.

Hahahahahaha, I did! I loved writing Brother Szobchak because he was funny and because Deathwatch was a little too grimdark for me. I'm flattered that you like him so much!

I worked on every 40KRPG line, but Rogue Trader and Only War were my babies. I developed the character classes for OW. My instructions were, "Watch a lot of WWII Movies and get to writing". FFG initially hired me for Rogue Trader because I'd been at Palladium and brought Robotech back to market in the late aughts and because I was (and still am) a huge fuckin' Patrick O'Brien/Master and Commander nerd who is obsessed with the age of sail. Fuckin' Black Crusade was my least favorite even though I love noise marines and there's a lot of deep story to draw from there. I wasn't allowed any creative freedom to come up with new demons or anything else. I did name all the ships in a Chaos battlegroup after Pixies songs, though (the flagship was Debaser) so I had some fun at least. At the end, though, I was super burned out on 40K. I never liked it and was only doing it for the paycheck. Getting transferred to Star Wars was the best thing that happened to me.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Night10194 posted:

I really have to wonder why they wouldn't do anything with new demons in the RPG. In the wargame it's because they'd need models so the infinite forces of darkness are represented by Purple Person, Red Guy With Horns, Fat Green Guy, and Bird since they can make those out of plastic more easily, but in an RPG you can just describe whatevs.

E: Also, I as a GM and a reader burned the gently caress out on 40k eventually (and turned on it fully thanks to 2016), and I can definitely see how having to deal with it over and over (and I didn't even have GW sitting over my shoulder, because I was just writing dumb games for friends) would be pretty drat grating.

Literally space barbies. I was only allowed to stat out demons which had models/minis, and nothing else. Didn't matter that it was an RPG. Working on GW products was extremely stifling because by the time I got into it in the late-aughts, the first couple generations of Warhams had come and gone and no one understood the joke anymore. Everything was to be deadly serious, and both 40K fans and GW itself was high on their own supply. The satirical underpinning of 40K was completely forgotten by that point, and any reference to it was ignored, hastily covered up, or shouted down. It was exhausting. Like, I had a tendency to name Orks poo poo like Grabthroat Shinkicker and Bawbag Gitstomper, and names like that always got changed in final editing at GW for not being "40K enough".

Edit: Oh, and say what you will about Harmony Gold and Lucasfilm/Disney, but when I was working on those IPs I was never flat-out told "no". It was either a collaborative experience of editing or having things cut for space reasons and used in another book. The only issues I ever had when working on Star Wars was when I worked on Force and Destiny because gently caress Jedi.

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 10, 2020

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Everyone posted:

I'm part of a freeform/guided roleplay game that's a mashup of Star Wars and Stargate. It's been running off and on for something like twenty years now. One of the main rules in it is No Jedi. No Force powers. Not Even a Little Bit.

A gamer after my own heart. Whenever I run SW games it's always fringy space trucker stuff or the campaign I ran wherein the PCs were a touring band that got duped into smuggling contraband for the Rebellion by some former Alliance intelligence officers. I never run games with Jedi/Force stuff.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

The SWRPG campaign I'm playing in right now is about a band of descendants of the heroes from the previous campaign heading into unknown space to rescue a friend of their parents.
It's not very serious, we have an absolute rust bucket of a ship and a droid with a penchant of singing dirty sea shanties.
Our first adventure involved saving a bunch of crabs.

Can... can I join?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Everyone posted:

Yep, double-posting.

While it's not my "cuppa" some of you might be interested in backing Evil Hat's

Thirsty Sword Lesbians which has 49 hours to go.

I'm gonna throw some cash their way even though I don't want the game. The title rules and the art's great. I'm not the biggest Evil Hat fan, but whatever. The developer seems to have their heart in the right place.

Everyone posted:

You can still join our bunch. Lurking is fine and honestly a little encouraged at first in terms of posting in the adventures.

We had one person who joined a few years back trying to be Luke Skywalker's abandoned daughter, but she quit after the "No Force Powers At All Even A Little Bit" was made clear to her. And also because she hadn't grasped that people joining are active New Republic military and not people who somehow stowed away on the wrong cargo ship or something.

Hell, I might. You guys need a combat engineer?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Robindaybird posted:

even ignoring the Sister Hat incident as everyone should...

Jesus, do I even want to know?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

If I ever run a Deathwatch game again I'm just going to use the BASH rpg.

You're basically playing superheroes anyway, it would be trivially easy to reskin deathwatch characters as them.

Also, which was the scenario with the old and bored Dreadnought. Sounds fun, I might track it down.

Rising Tempest. Brother Szobchak is introduced on page 79. They did a great piece of art for him, too.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Dang, I got a great Deathwatch character out of an Ultramarines Apothecary who was 'promoted' to the Deathwatch rather than the Honor Guard because he'd been a little too vocal about 'Our own armless failure shouldn't be in command anymore' in the aftermath of the Tyrannic War. Sometimes you say something that turns out to be unwise when the guy holds on to his position, you know?

Was always one of the places I assumed DW Marines could come from. Bright lads (and lasses) whose commanders wanted them to broaden their horizons, genuine chapter heroes their chapter wanted to show off, and respected soldiers who said the wrong thing before the right guy got promoted and so were due an 'honor' for their service that conveniently removed them from chapter politics for awhile.

E: I cannot emphasize enough that the 'you are a bunch of people from very different backgrounds but with one serious degree of commonality who all have to learn to work together and learn from each other' part of DW was surprisingly compelling in play. If someone were to actually rewrite Deathwatch away from 40kRP, though, the game I'd use as a model is actually Pendragon. I think you could get something really special out of applying some of its design ideas to that context.

You are seriously making me want to break out my Deathwatch books and make some characters.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I've never played Pendragon. Is it good?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Night10194 posted:

With Pendragon a lot more of it is the core concepts. It's one of the earlier games to try to have 'narrative mechanics', as far as I can tell, where you have things like the great Passions that inspire you as a knight (but could also make you do dumb poo poo and cause adventures, or make you become Sad which can make you get into epic battles with your friends, or make you go nuts and go eat berries until your friends or a nun or something call you back) and the Virtues/personality traits you could be moved by. It does simulating Arthurian Myth very well, and produces Arthurian Knights who are pretty accurate to the stories. It also features a Glory score, which is literally your victory points, and you try to run that up by standing out and doing adventures and showing off your famous traits and virtues and vices.

It also features getting murdered and passing on your Glory to your heir, as you try to build your family and estates over the generations and the Kingdom changes around you.

That sounds pretty rad and very Deathwatchy.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It cannot be understated that Pendragon is about how knights are massive loving drama queens.

Fuckin' sold.

Bieeanshee posted:

Someone sell me on manufacturing worlds in Harn.

Is that a thing in the Harn proprietary system? The only experience I've ever had with Harn is playing it with Shadowrun 3 rules where we were part of a criminal syndicate in Coranan. My character was a former legionnaire and down on his luck knight who fell backwards into crime by acting as a bodyguard then helping the crew fence stolen goods. God, that game was so fun. At one point the crew stole a whole wagonload of rare, expensive hardwood and my character (Sir Bail) turned it all into fancy furniture (he was an engineer in the Legion and had a bunch of artisan and mechanical skills) and sold it to the Coranan gentry for, like, ten times what the unfinished lumber would have brought in.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

*Kramering in*

I'm sorry, did someone have Pendragon questions I would be happy to answer Pendragon questions, especially as relates to knights being enormous drama queens because all the kickass Arthuriana we know about today is mostly old Welsh adventure stories bolted on to the poo poo that French troubadours wrote in order to entertain French noble ladies who were paying for entertainment and are apparently the medieval equivalent of, like, the Supernatural fandom today

This is all extremely my poo poo right here.

Edit: I see Pendragon is on its 5th edition. Which edition is the good one, or is it a fight to the death edition war like D&D?

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

It actually just got it’s sixth recently, but they’re all very similar.

I'll just check out 5e, then.