Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Wapole Languray posted:

Bloodsilver is wanted by assassins literally because carrying proves you got BIG DICK ENERGY and don't FEAR NO CURSE. That's the literal reason, it makes them look cool and badass because machismo.

Also, I probably understated how bad Bloodsilver is: the game explicitly says to treat it like magical flux, which are basically miscast effects. Depending on how assholish the GM is feeling, that can have such wonderful effects as:
  • One of your items just vanshishes
  • You get a stat penalty
  • your teeth fall out
  • you pass out on the spot
  • you go blind
  • you just straight fuckin die.

How do the assassins then pay for their own stuff though? Is it like those coins in John Wick or something? What does the assassin do with the cursed lovely money that only other assassins want? How does an assassin like buy a sandwich or whatever?

Night10194 posted:

Every Invisible Sun update makes me sadder that I know of no game that is intentionally about playing Van Wizards, the wizards airbrushed on the side of a van who just gently caress up all the time but try to be really metal.

This is how I sometimes run Mage when I want to give players a "break" from the themes of hubris and other horror poo poo in the line. You know, things have been a bit heavy for a couple of sessions, so let's just tear rear end around and make infinite shotguns* and resurrect an ankylosaurus except it's made of fire*. Really let our hair down. Some times you just need to relax, head over the Astral Realm and turn into a sentient cloud of bees*, you know?

*And obviously none of this would ever have long term consequences that come up in later sessions. Certainly not. I'm definitely not letting players blow off steam while I get to basically just make a list of plot hooks cause I also want to just drink a few beers and chill. I assure you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Actually, wait. So in addition to the question of if the thought of how denim feels or whatever the hell is depreciated by me doing it multiple times, does it also change if different people think about it the same thing independently? Or what about related things?

If the value is independent, it's just fiat currency but with an incredibly inhumane production cause there's no functional difference between making some glass beads or making glass beads while someone remembers what grass smells like : you're just adding a weird extra step. If it's the latter than the currency that's actually least valued is the most finite because you can only have one orb that has the taste of oregano, but hundreds of orbs that have more value that are recipes involving oregano.

I gave myself a head-ache. I'm getting a drink.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

The Chinese mind has a genetic predisposition to prefer emperors. If you disagree, you don't understand Confucianism. Now, regarding the Russian mind...

I know you meant this as a joke but still my eye twitched so hard it hurt. Ow.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I'll admit that I'm the kind of rear end in a top hat who would totally buy an invisible chair in a second. I'd be sitting on the porch confusing my neighbors right now. That said, I am an rear end in a top hat and an idiot, so probably not representative.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh and they get this art that looks uncomfortably like a Jewish caricature to me, but maybe I'm just being overly sensitive.

I actually know this piece of art! I think. It's reused from from the Lanhkmar sourcebook for AD&D as a portrait of Hristomilo from Ill Met in Lankhmar. While not disagreeing with you about how gross the possible (probable) anti-Semitic representation is, that's how he's described in the short story. Really weird that that came up in Dragonlance of all places. Unless it was the other way around? I'm too lazy to look up the publication history but I remember that picture from when I was a kid in the Lankhmar sourcebook cause I had a mis-placed youth and I discovered used book stores before I discovered girls and booze.

Also, Libertad!, I'm too lazy/busy/depressed to do full F&F's (hello my sad Torchbearer review), but I'm a pretty decent cook and would be happy to combine to do something on The Leaves of the Inn of the Last Home. I have the old one too so we could contrast. Although from what I remember the recipes are pretty drat sad. Like, Otik's famed "spiced potatoes" are basically just roasted potatoes with some rosemary or whatever. These amazing potatoes that the books will not shut up about are basically the most lame, white-bread attempts at doing something culinary where I wonder if the authors thought salt and black pepper were sinful. But it'd be short enough we could some kind of GWS/TG cross-over type dealy.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I'll look over my old copy and see how crazy the stuff is, and if Libertad! is willing to send me some recipes I'd probably be okay with doing that too.

(Barring anything seriously dumb like making me buy 15 squabs or whatever in which case you'll just get opinions on the recipe cause I live in a household that would never eat that.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O god I pulled out the book and these recipes are hilarious. Like, an incredibly sad chili that warns you it's gonna explode your tongue with two teaspoons of chili-flakes and nothing else, not even garlic.

And it keeps trying to be "medieval" but assumes things like bullion cubes even though it's written diagetically.

O and I'm sorry, I mis-remembered and the potatoes have "1 to 2 dashes of cayenne".

From a skim it is the most boring food that really suck at cooking so it would be mostly be me dunking on some random Midwesterners from thinking mayonnaise is a spice. Which I am very down to to if there's an audience.

They spent hundreds of words on how good those potatoes are, but the actual recipe is basically "make it in the same room as a spice rack and sometimes look at it longingly like your Mormon god hadn't forbid flavors".

If i do this the current draft would be some kind of Binging with Babish style thing where I mock the recipe and then fix it and post pics. Although skipping anything obvious cause you don't need me to teach you to make chili. It's chili.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The actual version would *makes something up as he's typing* harissa potatoes au-gratin with garlic and lemon, possibly then tossed in a cast iron pan or put under a broiler with some rosemary olive-oil to get crispy but I'm making this recipe up as I'm typing. And I still think it's better.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I bought the original version of LOTIOFLH, and made Otik's famous spiced potatoes!

Once.

Once.

I didn't make any mistakes! I did a pretty good job for an eleven year old!

They just weren't...so good. It wasn't rosemary, it was some other slightly more obscure spice from the spice aisle that I can't remember off-hand (except that it was orange), but...that was literally the only spice involved in the recipe, I think. *Maybe* there was one or two more more really common ones.

One of my larger early-life small-stuff disappointments.

edit: Cayenne, that's what it was. I even went and bought some with my allowance just for this special occasion, since we didn't have any in the house at the time. Jeez. It was so lame.

Yeah, Libertad! sent me the new recipes and I dug out my copy of the old book and... O god it's so much sadder than I even remembered.

I've had to re-evaluate how I'm going to do this since doing a lot of these "correctly" is still going to just be... A casserole and I'm not going to buy all the stuff for a casserole I don't even want to make that no one wants to eat just for internet cred. I'll probably post recipes with in-line comments and a revamped recipe in case anyone cares, and then occasionally do something special for maybe the one-off ones that I can actually do something with. Because seriously, it's some a lovely meatball recipe. Yes I can do better. Easily, it wants you to put in biscuit mix for gently caress's sake. That doesn't mean I want to make meatballs on a random Monday when most of the people here are vegetarians.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I gotta admit, I always thought Crowley was kind of a chode, but he did just get three points in my estimation now that I know he also enjoyed a good vindaloo.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

We have got some wildly different copies or something, because that's definitely not in my copy. These are the "Dwarven Tide-Me-Overs", right? In mine they're a pretty basic meatball, albeit one that's probably oddly sweet since it calls for evaporated milk.

I was mocking the Solamnic meatballs.

I keep getting 85% to posting and then just going “It’s a loving lovely stew recipe with some bad prose to make it be about ugh gully dwarves. What have I gotten myself into.”

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

a kitten posted:

the Bicentennial Bluejay.

Your brother is a hero fyi.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Now I want a derpy little ship called the Decade Duck.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hey Moldless, loving the Dark Eye review cause like hell I'm ever gonna read that.

I know I'm late to the party but any chance of giving the original German sometimes for those of us who sprechen Sie? I'm not doubting your translation (you're probably doing way better than I ever could), but I'm naturally curious, and, again, no way in hell I'm ever picking up those books. D&D 4e is about as crunchy as I can get as a sometimes food if I'm really in the mood, and even then only cause I already memorized most of the rules.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Moldless Bread posted:

I don't mind. Is there something you're specifically interested in or something that's unclear?

The JotS german name, for example is Schwertgeselle - literally sword journeyman. As I said, it sounds right in german. The style names have been pretty closely translated (Albernisches Raufen, Vagantenstil, Rastullahgefällige Klingen)

I might as well admit I got a bit carried away translating the attributes. I mean, Charisma and Intuition aren't even spelled differently, and Constitution, Agility and Courage are simple translations (Konstitution, Agilität, Mut). Cleverness is not quite the correct translation (Klugheit means more general intelligence), but it allows me to use a very similar abbreviation. That's how I landed on the somewhat silly Fleetness of Fingers - Fingerfertigkeit is just an somewhat uncommon word meaning (manual) dexterity, but I couldn't resist the chance to use FF in english too.
Physical power is similar. Körperkraft is just Strength, but I jumped on the chance to use another repetetive letter to turn KK into PP. Having all these similarities honestly helps me with transcribing the abbreviated stats.

O no, you're great. I just naturally wonder about the original wording cause I'm curious about that kind of thing. (Like I guessed it was Fingerfertigkeit but it's cool to know for sure.) I figured it probably wouldn't be a big pain for you to type a few extra words here and there, and it'd make me happy to know what and how you're translating, so I thought I'd ask politely to see if you wouldn't mind.

And yeah, "Schwetgeselle" does sound a lot better in German lol. That's a night and day difference. The closest I can come up with something in English is something like "errant" but that has all sorts of other connotations that make it not work, so you're better off just coining a new word.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

And if your level 1 wizard dies big whoop, make another. But that spent feat on Toughness ain't ever coming back as you level up. It's just a pure trap.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Gun Jam posted:

I did specify "want to not die", didn't I?

Yes but it's just making you straight up worse long-term. It's actually better for your character to die rather than get hosed over down the line.

It's the character-building equivalent of a pay-day loan.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I'm gonna be That Guy as gently caress, but that moon has a diameter of about 86 miles from some super simple math.

That seems more than a little small. It's still bigger than the smallest moon Deimos, but for the record the Earth's moon is like 2,000 and change in diameter.

Guys, I think I found an unrealistic thing about the moon-dragon adventure.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Phobos is about a thousand and change as well, picking another random moon.

86 miles in diameter is god drat tiny. It'd have to be pretty low in orbit even be visible as an actual moon and not a dot. Which means Nuitari would have to be even smaller and closer for those weird moon-eye shenanigans. And Nuitari is specifically only "visible" because it blots out stars (plural!).

God knows how the tides work on Krynn.

I don't think the astrophysics of this setting with magic and dragons and magic dragons was really well thought out, is what I'm saying.

PS while DLE3 the module looks dumb as hell and I'd never play it, I want to buy a van and paint the cover art on it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

That was a quick turn-around.

And I really appreciate Tremere being a Mage-antagonist instead of being a Vampire-splat. It's a really good change that I always forget until it comes up again but needs its place in the sun, so to speak.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

I'm not, like, opposed to Pangloss' existence, but I'm personally pretty cool to a character that is in large part "this real life piece of poo poo *wink*." I appreciate the technical achievement of making him a pretty believable, hooked-in antagonist for the setting, but he's so on-the-nose I don't think I or most of the people I game with would be able to refrain from talking in a Kermit voice about lobsters and the terrors of cider-drink every few minutes when he's around.

I fail to see how that is a problem and not a feature. Although I admit I don't get the cider-drink reference but I want to be nicer to my blood-pressure so I don't know if I'll look it up.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

What a loving idiot. I'm gonna go grab a cider just because.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The short version is the Obrimos Virgin vs the Mastigos Chad meme that I keep meaning to make that no one wants. Not even me.

("Makes lightning and then eats Paradox like Grapenuts" vs. "Just mind controls people from 500 miles away cause he handed them a hairbrush", etc.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

I mentioned that UOPS’ ability to shunt a physical force into spirit can’t hit her with Paradox because it’s an Attainment, right?

E: also that’s not how Paradox works in 2e, notably

I know. In proud tradition of poo poo-posted memes, I'm not striving for your silly ideas of "accuracy".

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Froghammer posted:

A Tulpa was also the monster of the week in that suburbs episode of the X-Files, so that's ruined too now I guess

O god drat it. I really loved that episode. It was the absolute best for playing the X-Files Drinking Game.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

This is mostly at Mors but if anyone else wants to jump in, feel free.

So I'm reading Mors's archived Mage 2e review cause I'm sick and apparently this pissed off 4chan?

quote:

Once, she was Aasiya Ahmed, a woman from a decent Mogadishu family. She knew from youth where ot find shortcuts and safe places, hiding and reappearing at will. Her parents gave up on bringing her into 'proper' society when they realized they could never keep her out of anywhere. She found her way to the secret city, full of ghuls and ifrits, and now, she is Ichneumon, an apprentice of the Silver Ladder, and she knows that secret city is everywhere. Its predators an ddemons move between bodies and shortcuts in the endless city-of-the-mind, and Ichneumon follows, stopping them when she can and looking for their patterns.

I know the answer is going to make me very, very sad, but please tell me what's so terrible about this. My immediate reaction was "African person so we frame magic as ifrits (sic but I'm being really pedantic) is a little cultural appropriation adjacent but pretty mild by WW standards", which I'm gonna guess is definitely what got them pissed off and it's going to be some "delightful" blend of sexism and racism.

Someone care to "enlighten" me? It's just gonna be that she might be Muslim, isn't it. :(

Edit : I just got to reason #2 and... I was overthinking it and it's just cause they're black, right? Ugh. Ugh.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 20, 2020

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Please tell me they at least don't use the word "effendi"? That one always sticks in my craw.

Also, I'm not an Arabic scholar or even a Semiticist, but they are 100% doing the "cat walked on a keyboard let's throw in lots of 'q' in there" version of language. Like, they just kind of shove "al" in front of random things ignoring the phonology and grammar of actual Arabic. It reads very much like an elementary school social studies poster that tells you that "Gesundheit" means "God bless you".

I get not asking your players to make pharyngeal fricatives cause that's a pretty big ask, but then why are you half-assing it like this. It's just silly.

And it's ٱلسَّلَامُ عَلَيْكُمْ‎; or /as.sa.laː.mu ʕa.laj.kum/ in IPA.

poo poo I should find my old copy of 2E Oriental Adventures and angrily talk about how wrong and bad it is at all things South-Eastern Asian, shouldn't I?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hey I really, really don't like making GBS threads on reviews cause that's kind of against the whole point of this thread, and I'll delete this if there is even a whiff of backlash, but :

hyphz? Yeah I did not like that post.

I like crunching math in games, it's one of my biggest hobbies. That was cool. But I didn't like you ragging on the children's princess game for letting everyone be a princess. Leaving gender politics aside, it's just crass.

Conflating two games in one post is at best some very awkward writing and it really shows.

I really couldn't even bring myself to finish your post because you're just kicking a game for kids cause you didn't like some of the word-play and it set my teeth on edge. I ain't ever played this game or even heard of it, so I have no horse in this fight, but I really disliked the tone and tenor of this review.

That said I'm just some rando so maybe other people love it and god-speed ; I'm just telling you how it made me, personally, feel.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I ain't read the actual book and I'm just giving my opinion. That's all. Not calling for them to stop, not telling no one what to do ; just saying, "Hey, I didn't like X."

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Everyone posted:

Sure. What hospital is she in again? In which country of the entire loving world?

She's in Mobile, Alabama.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

[quote="Jerik" post="503766037"]
Part 9 ("It's Like The Office, But With Gods")/quote]

Why did I reread this. It just made me mad again.

(Not your content, the content of the book.)

It did remind me that I want to get a big rear end tattoo of Guanyu when/if I ever finish this god drat dissertation though.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Holy poo poo that's a deep pull and perfect.

Marry me.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Jerik posted:

Can you think of any characters from ancient Greek mythology with names that contain a W (in their most standard English spellings)? You can't, because there aren't any.

Were-acles. When the moon is full, he turns into a great, bearded demi-god, son of Zeus.

Otherwise he's just like an amphora salesman and doesn't do much cause he's pretty tired a lot.

(Good write-up that I was too lazy to make.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Are any of these hunters gonna fight something besides vampires?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I find it highly amusing that as a color-blind smoker with a limp, I'm already min-maxing my "flaws" in real life, just on a quick skim of the physical flaws.

Good design, guys. Me as just some rando who totally interacts in society fine has more negatives than an active Klan member. Real cool there.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I also really like Syphan and Sif's characters by the way. I don't even really care about the adventure at this point and just honestly enjoy them.

Also, thank you, Hams, for being on the short list of fiction that makes Dark Elves just evil elves, they're dark cause they do evil magic and not because of weird racist poo poo. Very low bar to clear but here we are.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Night10194 posted:

No, CIA, this is foreign. Princess Janiel of Lothern, the overweight (she looks like a perfectly ordinary and healthy human, and keeps the weight so she can disguise herself as one easily) cake-loving elven spymistress is one of my favorite recurring NPCs across our games.

She got their elf deserter to do a dirty hit to evade stolen valor charges! But she also paid them for it and gave him an official record that he'd been a Sea Guard (he was not a Sea Guard) as a favor after he did it. So it balanced out. Also the guy they killed was a Caledor noble and a total rear end in a top hat (one of those 'the only problem with Malekith is he says the quiet part too loud' types) so they weren't too sad to axe the dude in the face.

Some day, some day I'm gonna get around to Shadowrun But It's In Ulthuan as a campaign. Some day.

ElfI6.

Also with all the Imperium chat : I stand-by the idea that everyone in the setting are basically assholes and the real protagonists are the Tyranids. Everyone else is evil, they're just hungry. Embrace your fate as just food for the chitinous horde purging the world.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

GimpInBlack posted:

Yggdrasil

Part Two: Gimme That Odin Time Religion

But first: Pronunciation. This is something Yggdrasil doesn't provide any guidance on at all, but I figure it might be helpful for folks reading along. On the other hand, written attempts at pronunciation guides invariably turn into increasingly tortured attempts at rhymes or an imcomprehensible mess of IPA charaters and technical terms like "unvoiced bilabial fricative," and nobody's got time for that. So instead, please enjoy 12 minutes of a dreamy cowboy teaching you to pronounce Old Norse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_zjXZwD42Q

All caught up? Good. Then let's dive in.

*Stares at linguistic degree and then out into the cold, dark rain, a single tear falling down his cheek*

Also finally caught up with the thread : holy poo poo-balls, Night, you really knocked it out of the park there are the end. I'm (not really) ashamed to admit that I started getting emotionally invested in your character in WHFRP which is new and different. I almost fist-pumped when Gilbert and Ulrike got married. Not only did you write an informative and entertaining little LP thingy, but you made me care about the characters. drat good job. Well done.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Uh if you wanted to say, run some WHFRP over discord I know a server and at least one incredibly enthusiastic potential player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

GimpInBlack posted:

The unspoken subtext of that bit was "and if I try I'll get it wrong and Xiahou Dun will yell at me." Plus I just wanted an excuse to link to the Old Norse cowboy man, whose channel is just really delightful and informative.

Make that two.

I was just funning.

And it's a good informative video. He obviously make some pretty coarse analogies, but I'd do the same given the brief format. It's hard to summarize a whole phonology in 12 minutes without using scary technical words. (One day I will do my passion project of a giant language learning document for linguists where they just use the real words instead of saying it's the vowel of "father" and just say it's /a/. One day. )

Also, as a pretty drat straight man, he's one smoking hot cowboy. Would.

PS pretty please Night come to my discord and run WHFRP. I'll make themed sausage recipes just for the occasion.