Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Leraika posted:

"I'll give you one (1) spice if you never fight me again" is a big mood.

Like the time at my afterschool camp I tried to bribe a kid with a quarter to leave me alone in Risk and the counsellors made me take it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Where is Richese first mentioned, the glossary?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pvt.Scott posted:

Nobody knows what Grobthar cheese is (it’s Kraft singles).

This isn't a real Galaxy Quest reference and yet it would have fit perfectly in the film.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kaza42 posted:

I like to see how well licensed RPGs handle the main characters. Make Paul

We need to make his store brand non-copyrighted version, Peter Agamemnes

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

You know before they decided on her it was originally going to be Barney, because they were at a loss at what else to do with the character. Notice how he's the only one who isn't interviewed and gives an alibi in Part 2?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

which is the mage supplement with a guide to homelessness

I don't remember the name but I know the book and it was edgier than Shadow the Hedgehog.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

By popular demand posted:

Here's some choice edge:

Are African plagues worse than say Asian ones? The worst plague ever was mostly a European one.

Akshually the Black Death probably originated somewhere in (probably Central) Asia or the Middle East, just doing most of its damage in and around Europe.

Were there big African plagues besides Ebola and AIDS?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Several. The Belgians, the Dutch, I could go on.

Those are just strains of one epidemic honestly.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Was yellow fever in the news during the 1990's? Why am I spending this much thought on something Brucato wrote anyway, I should be doing something more uplifting like taking out garbage.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

wdarkk posted:

I hope someone does a writeup so we can see the terrible things within. I am down for some absolute trash garbage.

The exact reason I started reading this thread again.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Everyone posted:

I think I'd much prefer Lone Badger's idea of finding resources to build Home Alone/Saw traps to kill Bluebeard when he returns.

Best option next to calling your sister and brothers for help, killing Bluebeard, and taking all his stuff.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pvt.Scott posted:

Is the GM in Bluebeard’s Bride really supposed to improv every room the Bride enters off of the description of a loving key and choosing a theme? I certainly don’t have the chops to run a satisfying game like that. At least it seems like they wrote a literal Book of Rooms for people like me.

How am I supposed to improv the themes of three-ways, fat-shaming, Loss.jpg or AIIIIIIDS?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What is the point of this game again?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Quackles posted:

I'm pretty sure NFTs are too horrifying for even this game.

You open one room and after a bunch of vague descriptions the players realize it's Bluebeard's bitcoin farm.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

sasha_d3ath posted:

Using Bluebeard's Bride's structure to represent an early-to-mid Sierra game where you enter a screen and either fulfill a deeply specific puzzle element or die a wryly-commented-upon death and have to reload. Every reload puts you on another screen you don't remember being at. You have to decide if the death was your fault and you'll solve the next puzzle smarter, or if you're thinking gently caress This Game and considering taking it back to Babbage's.

The only win condition is just buying the hint book like their games were designed for. You can write a review criticizing the difficulty but then Ken Williams shows up at your house and asks if you have a problem with his wife's writing.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Who cares, also what was Glory Station?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I should've known. Why was Eclipse Phase so popular anyway?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm also getting an impression that while the devs probably lean anarchist (And if I was in their setting, I would too), the communities they were interacting with at the time leaned libertarian and saw the horror bugs as capitalist features.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

joylessdivision posted:

Except Feral Lobotomy which is :stonklol: and I'll include the quote from my friends response when I sent him a screenshot of that power in the review because it's way funnier than anything I would have come up with.

Something like "You're returning to monke whether you like it or not" or does the actual description get creepier?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

LaSquida posted:

So, I've never played Bluebeard's Bride and it holds no appeal to me. However, I've been at least three different conventions where different groups, almost entirely made up of women played it, and that was overwhelmingly not the vibe it gave off or what they talked about afterwards. I've heard it talked about as a cathartic experience, as a sort of "telling scary ghost stories" activity, and as a serious examination of patriarchy and misogyny, but never anything like a "collaborative abuse simulator."

Now, to my knowledge none of those used/had the Book of Rooms present, which may just be purely gross material, but what the core game produces in play seems to be attractive to people on a level that's not just weird wankery.

I'm starting to get the feeling that (demographically) we are really, really not the target audience for Bluebeard's Bride and should just leave it alone, but my cynical side wants to know who the target audience is for the Book of Rooms. The core book has three women listed on the cover as the writers, what about Book of Rooms?

Kavak fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 6, 2022

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Give us a proper scholarly account and also breakdown the most jawdropping mistakes the book made.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Did anyone manage to read the "rap" next to that A Wyatt Man drawing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Maybe they meant 30 blocks north and they're in Harlem somewhere?