Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Night10194 posted:

What's always weird to me is how often the doomed character is an innocent young woman.

reading this realizing that I absolutely remember looking through the book and kinda hating it precisely because of this kinda thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Very much of the "this is a wargame setting so we gotta justify why ostensible allies are fighting eachother" situation.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

ah, you see, those boltguns you've been using in previous games are just a pale imitation of the true Astartes boltgun.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Didn't the BL->FFG changeover only happen after Rogue Trader?

edit: wait, no, nevermind. Black Industries was closed like a month after Dark Heresy. FFG continuing the gameline was something that was only announced like months later, though, if I recall?

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 20, 2020

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

edit isn't quote.

Still. I remember being really annoyed by the announcement.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

feel like this is about 3 posts from a reddit atheist rant.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Sigmar's got the energy of a formerly absentee dad trying to make things up to his kids and being kinda bad at it.

Which combined with him being the god of Sig Meier's Civilization is kinda the thing that actually makes him interesting compared to the usual faux greek fantasy pantheon.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I feel like its less a rehabilitation and more trying to make them at least seem a little bit fallible?

Like with 40k the chaos gods are very much a case of even if they lose, they win, and it being merely a matter of time.

Here they're actually somewhat freaked out that there's another ruinous power that is anathema to them.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

this was more bought on by the industry thread discussion but one thing I appreciate with Soulbound is it kinda, uh, taking WFRP's whole, uh, "elves better hid their ears lest the ignorant peasants will lynch them" undercurrent and just loving making it not a thing.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

the ideal vector for launching endless spells is essentially a wagon with an astrolabe on it, at least two masochistic wizards, and 10-20 mute elf warriors to soak wounds with.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Endrinmasters get access to precast endless spells in a literal bottle in the wargame, too.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

You joke about the 20d6 rats but then you realize the original module expected you to fully run every one of the rats individually plus their blinged out rat lord.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Robindaybird posted:

This, as brutal as the Mongols are, they're no worse than Romans, and sure as well aren't Nazis, so lumping the Mongols in with the Nazis is uh, yeah that's not right.

Romans did a lot of bad poo poo but I'm not sure they did anything on the scale of what the Mongols did to Khwarzemia.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

They had a term for 'decimate' and they took a solid seven days to kill Carthage utterly. Famously, only on day seven did they take prisoners, who were enslaved en masse - about 50,000 survivors sold into slavery. The original population is estimated at 700,000.

This was also, of course, at the end of a long series of Roman punitive actions towards Carthage; what stands out to me the most is that at that time, Carthage posed basically no threat to Rome or their empire whatsoever, had paid Rome off after losing a previous war, and generally was not even trying to challenge Roman hegemony.

Yeah they, uh, did like half a dozen massacres on the scale of Carthage on the way through Persia to Baghad.

And, like, it wasn't just a plunder, it was methodical to the point where warriors had a quota of prisoners to execute.

don't let your idiot leaders gently caress with envoys, folks.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

get Richard Lawrence a better quality set of pistols

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Dark Sun is an rpg setting for genocide and rape fetishists no I will *not* elaborate and I will *not* read any dark sun material.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

Is the secondary activity getting hammered?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Saying this as someone who was really, truly angry at the End Times for years, like 80% of the cool, evocative Old World lore is from a spinoff gameline that is currently being actively produced and supported so I unno what the gently caress people are complaining about.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 3, 2021

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

*slams table* skinks skinks skinks skinks skinks!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I invoke cursed magechat

NHPs : Shackling = Mage The Awakening : The Fallen World

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

can't wait for Demegadrive.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Their home base is Misthavn in Ulgu, and their flexibility has let them thrive in this den of crime and treachery. They consider most of the drug trade and other vices of Misthavn to be essentially harmless, and denying simple pleasures, they have learned, is an easy way to give Slaanesh an edge just as much as embracing total vice. Thus, they step in to interfere in Misthavn business deals only when they consider the drugs involved to be too dangerous or the people involved to be too evil.

calling down the lightning when there's a joint-smoking skeleton asking Misthavn kids if they "wanna buy some hashyish"

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

mostly remembering the one with THE GREAT SPACE PHALLUS

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

between finding out that Tohaa were on Dawn pre-contact, being biotech masters, and the whole groups of three thing I feel like there are implications with the Antipodes.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

just struck by the idea that we have a spaceship diagram with a spot marked "onionland" and it remains un-elaborated on.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

get an IUD and suddenly you can't cast spells anymore.

the hair implants really mess with astral projection.

fake nails have an essence cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I want to say the wargame started as an RPG project?

as one does.