Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Nessus posted:

They didn't particularly try to stop emigration during the Famine, or at least if they did I never heard of it. They just didn't help particularly, either.

driving the Irish out of Ireland was a benefit. more room to import stout english yeomen to manage the farms and fields of the aristocracy. these days you'd call it genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

the real problem with kender is the kind of people who play them think they're funny

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Jason Bourne

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Drakyn posted:

It is doomsday, my dudes

i appreciated this

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

i love this game SO MUCH

also i contributed two whole words to the text and i am inordinately proud of that.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

GimpInBlack posted:

Rereading your Flying Circus CYOA was a big part of what got me into a mood to do this write up, so thanks for that!

You know I've got to ask what two words now, though.

there was a discussion over what to name one of the Witch moves and I suggested

probably inspired by Mouseguard?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Technically RA/Deimos and all the other weird AI things could be a threat, but they don't actually seem to care all that much beyond the contact accords and some tinkering at the edges/ getting empires set up. This whole set up means that a lot of people can introduce them as threats, but I am really unsure that they even particularly care that much.

Yeah, for one instance RA and Metat Aun didn't start the fighting in Boundary Garden or really even nudge Aun and Union toward each other. They exist as background to explain the science fiction technology that allows insterstellar wars to take place, that's pretty much it.

Pakxos posted:

For me, this is the crux of my issue with the whole NHP concept in Lancer. It claims to want to be about shooting fascists and 'utopia in progress' and then goes and swerves hard into the framework of not fixing a problem because the Other is trying to eat you. And this seems to be unintentional on the part of the authors.

The game leans really hard into leaving solving problems up to the players. Why hasn't Union bought the Baronies or H.A. to heel? Because that's the players job. Cascading NHPs are just another problem.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

they could have been Sprint silos, those were defensive. not really icbms though.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

By popular demand posted:

Let the spirit of Dr. Liston be with me.
He sliced into the patient with such enthusiasm that he swinged and injured a spectator and another spectator collapsed of shock. All 3 died later.

he cut of his assistant's fingers while amputating a leg at the thigh in 28 seconds, you mean. don't sell the man short.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah!

GimpInBlack posted:

Next Time: Weird Kids

So Weird! The Weirdest!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

GimpInBlack posted:

The planes include an old pre-war racing plane that's been home-modified with an interrupter gear and a single machine gun for use as a militia scout, an extremely nimble but very unstable pusher-prop fighter mostly used as a crop duster these days (apparently the pusher prop aids in dispersion), a diesel engine sky tractor (slow as hell, but able to carry a surprising bombload a surprising distance), and an early-model biplane scout with an interrupter gear (less agile than other turnfighters, but also less likely to spin out and kill you--ideal for lightly-trained rural militias). If none of those appeal, you can choose any Used plane that costs 10 thaler or less.
Let's take a quick dive into one of these:

The 'Spatz' (Sparrow) is...like the sticker says. Pretty average. You can maybe take one of the common alterations:

Or you can skip ahead to someone else's plane selection for this hot little suggestion:

Hmm. What's a W.O.1?

Oh no, I'm falling down into a singularity of madness!

Oh God, oh gently caress, where am I?

OK, Engine. That looks familiar. Let's see what we can do...

Hmm. Well, it's different. But what does that mean for Lukas Himmelswanderer? Well, compare:

Faster, better acceleration and rate of climb, fractionally better handling, significantly but not ruinously increased fuel consumption. Not bad for 1Þ. Of course, the W.O.1 isn't as easy to get hold of as the Rhona Motorbau Z12, but it's not out of line as a piece of starting equipment - the Arntwerke c.7 Rennflugzeug (Now THIS is air racing) has a Rare engine, albeit one that's been modified rather than coming from the factory.

The plane builder system is amazingly powerful, and completely optional. The most many players would ever want is maybe to install another gun, which doesn't really need anyone to interact with a system that tracks like 20 different inputs into your lateral stability. But once you get comfortable with the game you can spend a lot of time making inadvisable tweaks until your custom monster crashes on takeoff, killing you instantly becomes the plane of your dreams.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Which tank will make the best Shaggin' Wagon or is it just going to be all of them.

the mechanical answer is that convertible cars are better for, uh, intimacy, because you can get the same benefits as if you were flying.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

I know you're getting dunked on a bit, but FWIW I'm right there with you. Flying Circus seems mechanically very interesting in a lot of places, but I'm long since over the "haha sex" junk, and doubling down on it just puts me off of it further (along with some other issues that aren't really relevant to SA). Guess I'm stuck with Warbirds for dogfighting plane games.

the sex rules (and sex jokes) are exactly as optional as the plane builder, you can quite easily run a campaign and never touch either.

Queerness, Sex, & Intimacy posted:

Flying Circus characterizes the culture of pilots in its universe as essentially a queer one, both directly and through metaphor. The central narrative of every character’s life is of leaving home due to incompatibility and finding a new family of people who share your passion.

This game presents sex as part of the hedonistic, thrill-seeking lifestyle it portrays. There is never need to go into any detail: you can always fade to black. If this is a problem, even implications of sex can be excised: the game’s mechanics will be preserved through emotionally intimate moments. But it’s there if you want it to be.

Remember to always talk to one another as players around these events, before, during, and after play, and double check that everyone is comfortable with the scenes playing out at every stage.

Quackles posted:

So, who did shoot J.R.?

no-one, it was all a dream.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

I mean, the fact that you can read chargen and not know any non-Gothic cultures exist except the Skyborn, Witches and Fishers is, I would say, a distinct flaw in the book’s setup.

the playbooks list the following types of 'people': Fischervolk, Wildleute, Verloren, Himmilvolk, Rishonim, Städter, Edelfrei. 'Gothic Culture' isn't mentioned in chargen. Culture in general is mentioned on p.27 with a direction to a later chapter of the book for further detail.

Loxbourne posted:

This problem isn't visible in the core rulebook, so it won't likely come up in this review but FC has an uncomfortable tone of "19th Century Imperial Powers bad, therefore Germany good"

loving LMAO this is a hell of a take.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Everyone posted:

I just loved the idea of mixed Chronicles with Changeling.

Changeling1: "Oh nos! Our magic thingie is in the toy store run by the mean old man who doesn't believe in fairies! Who will go and get it?"

Changeling2: "How about our Get of Fenris Ahroun, Rips Out Jugulars?"

RipsOutJugulars: "Sounds good. Be right back." *Heads into store*

Mean old Man: "Aren't you a little OLD to be PLAYING WITH TOYS?"

RipsOutJugulars: *returns with thingie*

Changeling1: "What's that gray stuff on it?"

RipsOutJugulars: "Brain Matter. It'll wipe off."

https://twitter.com/shenanigansen/status/974432428021374977

i gotta say, being a werewolf in a mixed chronicle owns. even as a relatively chill bone gnawer philodox there's so many problems that a vampire can't deal with that are trivial to you.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Are the rules for some kind of Farmer-built giant blunderbuss loaded with black powder and miscellaneous scrap? Muzzle-loading so it only gets a single shot per mission, but it will gently caress you up at knife-range.

that's pretty much the punt gun already. it's possible to mount a 37mm cannon loaded with canister shells that would do something similar I guess? at knife range the cannon would do more damage (if you hit) but the punt gun would be better for crit-seeking and wouldn't rely on the pilot being a good shot.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

yes, also that

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Also really want know how you'd go about making billiard balls out of human bone.

you could seal bone pieces in epoxy resin, maybe? kind of a cop-out though.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Kurieg posted:

for a nice as everyone says Kaius is always remember he killed his grandson to take his place.

hey, maybe the kid had bad vibes. we just don't know.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Traveller posted:

SLA Industries: 2nd Edition
And now we're actually done. Thanks for reading!

cool! were you planning on writing up a Goon Squad of operatives?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Traveller posted:

Wasn't planning to, but might as well! Toss me some requests and I'll look them up tomorrow.

Catgirl Fr-

Hostile V posted:

Catgirl Frother.

uh...

Catgirl...Wraithen? sniper type.

Squad Name: Nyan Impossible (as in Nigh On Impossible, get it?)

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 31, 2024

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Traveller posted:

The Goon Squad (a.k.a. Nyan Impossible, the Mort Sentai, and "oh-god-not-them")

i love these idiots!

luminosity is just getting therapy, I think.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 1, 2024

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

i do feel the game has lost a little of that goofy charm in the move to 2e, but that's easy enough to port back in

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

I swear there was a Bowie reference somewhere in 1E SLA but I bow to your wisdom.

Halloween Jack is a reference to Diamond Dogs, so you're not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

platinum BPN: run SLA