Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
As an aside, a couple years ago Mike Mearls asked on Twitter what classic D&D settings people wanted to see ported over to Fifth Edition. I told him I wanted a modern version of Buck Rogers XXVc, and he said that as much as he wanted it (and as much of a fan of XXVc as he is) unfortunately Wizards couldn't get the rights to the setting.

To be fair, nothing's *stopping* anybody from doing it themselves and filing off the Buck Rogers-specific names; hell, laser pistols and laser rifles are already in 5e (though 3d6 and 3d8 radiant damage, respectively, is a little much for a first-level character) as are frag grenades.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The LSS Copernicus is a Lunar scout cruiser. The Lunar government is pretty blunt about wanting to keep neutral so you'll likely see a lot of these flying around near the Moon. At 25 tons and 50 feet long it's a pretty fast ship, and has an effective AC of 4. Weapons are a missile mount and a gyrocannon, and they don't have a ton of HP. I can imagine the Lunars sending a swarm of these after any nuisances, though.

This, and Luna-mounted mass drivers, which another supplement has stats for. (The larger the driver, the more damage it does, to the point where larger drivers can't be installed on ships.)

Maxwell Lord posted:

NO HUMANS ALLOWED!

I know exactly where this is going, and I'm glad for one thing we're gonna see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Max Force, about-to-be-ex-cop with nothing to lose.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Buck Rogers XXVc: The 25th Century

This book, among having one of the most... unique enemy listings I've seen in five-and-a-halfish editions of Dungeons & Dragons*, fixes a minor but notable problem I mentioned with the XXVc game line earlier in this thread.

*I'm counting First -> Second -> Third -> 3.5e -> Fourth -> Fifth. Your count may vary.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Fivemarks posted:

I was super hyper about Rocket Age, until they decided to drop their original system and move to using D&D 5e for it.

Wasn't the original system the same system they used in Doctor Who: Adventures in Space and Time?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Third Edition had swarm rules, and I had to yell at the DM that (ab)used them that if you fail the check to avoid being nauseated by the swarm, you can still take a move action.

Loved the writeup of No Humans Allowed! Any plans to do Hardware, the gear supplement for XXVc? There's no loving way I'm allowing anyone I run that game for access to graser weapons ever.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
They look like standard d6s, just with the Cyberpunk RED logo in place of the 6.

I have played the actual released version of the game, and combat is your attack roll vs. either the target's defense roll (if in melee combat or the target's cybered enough to dodge bullets) or the Difficulty Value based on your gun and range to target. Then damage roll, which gets reduced by your target's armor. I do appreciate that this is one of the very few games I've ever seen where if damage gets through your armor, your armor becomes less useful over time (even if it costs money to get your armor fixed/replaced.) I THINK Blood & Bronze and various rules mods for The Black Hack have similar rules.

I am disappointed that the "If one of your limbs takes 8 or more damage after armor and damage reduction, it gets blown off/blown apart/loving ruined to the point where you need a replacement, oh, and 'your head' is a limb too" rule from CP2020 is missing, though. The critical damage tables just aren't the same.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
That's probably internal skull armor from one of the Chromebooks. It's not a replacement head or brain; the limb loss rule says that if your head is the limb that's getting wrecked, your character dies on the spot. (Arms and legs are "make a death save; you fail, you die. Either way you(r corpse) is minus one limb.")

Considering how much damage guns can do in CP2020, and also considering head shots do double damage, helmets/subdermal armor are a pretty smart investment!

Snorb fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 31, 2022

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Mirage posted:

I vaguely remember this is from a Shadowrun equipment book which included advanced rules for cyberpsychos to replace every part of their body except the brain. The corps who did this to people could only keep them alive using blood magic. It was sloppy and excessive and poorly thought out, but thaaaat's Shadowrun for ya.

One of them could join your party temporarily in Shadowrun: Dragonfall. The optimal outcome for that mission was your team hacks his OS and restores his humanity and free will, and the first thing he does is put his hydraulic piston arms up to his head and crushes his skull flat.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I mean, on the one hand, yeah, the game looks really rough and could have used a basic editing pass.

But on the other hand, how many other games have you seen with a "Plowing Through Buildings" chart?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Libertad! posted:

*Kain from Final Fantasy 4 and Kimahri from Final Fantasy 10 being two notable examples.

Freya from FF9 was also a dragoon from the moment she joined the party.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

That seems pretty easy to adapt. Most 2e Spelljammer stuff seems pretty easy to transfer over for the most part, cause the new Spelljammer rules are pretty simple.

Seems simple enough. "Every day of operation, the creature's current and maximum hit points are reduced by 1d8, and the creature must make a Constitution saving throw. The creature is killed if their maximum hit points are reduced to 0 or if they fail the saving throw. This maximum hit point reduction lasts until the creature completes a long rest outside of the lifejammer helm."

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I think dualclassing was handled (best, least-worst) in Buck Rogers XXVc. You just picked two classes and out of them you used the better Hit Dice and THAC0 progressions between those classes, the slower XP progression, and you chose four class skills from both of your classes to be your class skills (which means if you went warrior+medic, congratulations! You're really really good at killing people and keeping them alive! ....Assuming you chose Treat Light Wounds, Treat Serious Wounds, and Treat Critical Wounds from the medic's class skills.)

The rules even had to differentiate it on your character sheet: warrior/medic is multi-classing (you started your career as a warrior, then became a medic) and warrior+medic (you're dabbling in both careers) is dual-classing. I don't even think it's limited to the human genotypes in the game, though I'd have to double-check the books to confirm that.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

You gotta love the same company having two distinct ways of combining character classes in two different games and managing to give the same name to the two most opposite ones. In D&D dual classing is when you leave one class and start a whole new one, and is represented in opposition to writing the names as class1/class2 ; in Buck Rogers the / notation means multi-classing which is what dual classing means in D&D.

poo poo just look how complicated it was to explain the abstract relation of that gently caress up. If you told me they did that on purpose I'd be impressed at their puzzle-making skills.

Actually, I hosed it up pretty bad when I was typing that (and you already quoted me, so no real point in changing it now!) and I thought I botched it, so I double-checked the books. It's called "choosing a combined career" and when you do so, you get:

* The worse of your careers' Hit Dice (warrior + medic uses d6s)
* The better of your careers' THAC0 progression (warriors advance every level, medics... not so much)
* The average of your careers' XP progression (warrior + medics gain their second level at 1,750 XP; 2000 (warrior) + 1500 (medic) = 3500 / 2)
* Four of the eight career skills from your first class (Battle Tactics, Demolition, Leadership, Maneuver in Zero G, Move Silently, Notice, Repair Weapon, Use Rocket Belt for warriors) and four of the career skills from your second class (Diagnose, Life Suspension Tech, Treat Critical Wounds, Treat Disease, Treat Light Wounds, Treat Poisoning, Treat Serious Wounds, Treat Stun/Paralysis for medics) are your eight career skills
* The career-specific abilities from BOTH careers (Weapon Specialization for warriors, the ability to use drug manufactories and autosurgeries, as well as training up medic career skills for medics)
* The inability to multiclass (you have to drop either warrior or medic and become a single-class version of the career you're keeping. Unlike multiclassing, I don't even have to wait until I gain a character level. I can just say "To hell with fighting, I want to keep people alive!" and I'm no longer a warrior + medic, I'm just a plain medic.)

It's interesting, and if my read on it in Mars in the 25th Century is right, it's not limited to humans; any human or gennie can do this.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

A note on the "time never passes" thing, Dragon Quest III actually does have a day-night cycle that has an effect on towns and what's happening in them- characters are in different places, some places are closed and others are only accessible at night, etc. That's one of the only examples I can think of offhand.

Isn't there a day/night cycle in Dragon Quest IV also?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
As an aside on Shalelu's art for Rise of the Runelords, the artist drew her with human-like eyes. Elves in Golarion have monocolor eyes (no visible iris, pupil, or sclera-- what you see of the eye is all the same color.) Later art in Second Darkness and Jade Regent shows her with typical elven (and blue!) eyes.

Ameiko also shows up in another Adventure Path, Jade Regent. (I don't know who drew her in Runelords, but Wayne Reynolds did a way better job drawing her for that campaign!)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
To add on: Fighters are the only class in Pathfinder 2e that can opportunity attack right from the word go; every other class has to take the Attack of Opportunity feat to do so. (Most monsters in PF2e can't opportunity attack either, so you can afford to be a little more mobile during combat.)

As for druids and Druidic, the Second Edition Player's Handbook calls "the druidic language" out as "the one infallible method druids have of identifying each other." (It's also "limited to dealing with nature and natural events," for what it's worth.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
(never mind. Wrong drat thread.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Everyone posted:

I can't speak much of the Bond flicks, but in Indiana Jones the main reason the bosses die is that the artifact they're going after kills them. I always thought the "smart move" for Indy would have been to follow the bad guys at a distance, quietly help them get whatever they want and then cart the god-thingie off after they're all corpses.

From memory in the Bond movies, Live and Let Die was the first movie where Bond directly kills the villain (by overinflating him with a shark pellet and watching him explode in a special effect that looked really awful, even by 1973's standards.) Connery's Bond never (directly) kills Julius No (leaves him to be boiled alive in a nuclear reactor's cooling tank), Rosa Klebb (Tanya Romanova shoots her in the back), Auric Goldfinger (they struggle over a revolver on an airplane, the revolver shoots out a window, Goldfinger gets sucked out and falls to his death), Emilio Largo (Domino shoots him in the back with a spear gun), or Ernst Stavro Blofeld (he lives through all three movies he's in, only to be killed by FOXDIE dropped down a factory smokestack in 1981.)

Yeah, I was surprised too, especially because my favorite Bond killed both of his villains!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

I was gonna say I can remember several moments where Bond directly kills the villain. Like Hugo Drax taking the poison dart from the wrist launcher, or the villain in License to Kill who gets drenched in fuel or liquefied cocaine and gets torched with Felix's lighter.
I think the only Bond non-involved death I can remember after that point was Sean Bean getting smushed by the Arecibo telescope superstructure as it collapses.

Roger Moore's Bond directly kills five of his villains directly: Ross Kananga (overinflates and explodes with lousy special effect/shark pellet), Francisco Scaramanga (shot in duel, was the only person Bond kills in that movie), Karl Stromberg (shot in groin and chest), Hugo Drax (armor-piercing cyanide-tipped dart to the heart, then dumped out airlock without spacesuit), and Max Zorin (dropped off the Golden Gate Bridge). He indirectly kills Kamal Khan (sabotaged his plane's engine mid-flight, the ensuing crash kills him), and his friend Columbo kills Aristotle Kristatos (throwing knife to the back).

Timothy Dalton's Bond (said favorite) directly kills both of his villains: Brad Whitaker (crushed under statue of Napoleon) and Franz Sanchez (soaked in petrocaine, then Bond flicks his Bic). If we're being fair and considering Georgy Koskov the actual villain of The Living Daylights, Bond doesn't kill him. Pushkin ships him from Tangiers to Moscow "in the diplomatic bag," and given Koskov's "D:" face as Pushkin says this, it's implied he's going to get executed mid-flight.

Ah, hell, since I'm typing these, might as well keep going. Pierce Brosnan's Bond kills three of his villains (shreds Elliot Carver with a sea drill, shoots Elektra King, deploys Gustav Graves/Tan-Sun Moon's power armor parachute which pulls him into a jet engine intake) and indirectly kills Alec Trevelyan (drops him 200' off the GoldenEye antenna cradle, ensuing fires and explosions drop enough of the cradle to crush him). Daniel Craig's Bond directly kills two of his villains (knifes Raoul Silva in the back, "LAST RAT STANDING;" shoots Lyutsifer Safin to death), indirectly kills Blofeld (unwittingly infects him with FOXDIE Heracles nanites), and had nothing to do with Le Chiffre or Dominic Green (shot dead by Quantum agents in Montenegro and Bolivia, respectively.)

Moving Dr. No's death over to "Bond directly killed this guy," out of 22 villains (I'm counting Blofeld twice), 007 is 14/22 on his Bond villain corpse count. Trevelyan's "Do all those vodka martinis drown out the screams of the men you've killed?" makes waaaay more sense now that I did the math.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
My read on plutomancers and whether your paycheck counts is if you make that thousand after taxes and deductions. Pure net profit.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The Orks, the Tau, and the Tyrannids are really the only 'non-evil' factions in 40k. Maybe the Necrons, too, because they're more, "Hey, you kids get offa mah lawn!"

Isn't the whole galaxy the Necrons' lawn?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

mellonbread posted:

The rituals chapter begins and is interspersed with in-character descriptive text from “Gary The Demon”, a supernatural being who knows a lot of rituals.

But remember, Gary loves you. He is a normal human being, just like you and me.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
FF4 had you retrieving a military airship about a third of the way through the game (it's okay, at that point you're technically the king of said kingdom anyway), and then you steal another airship shortly after that.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Quackles posted:

Does that make it... an heirship?

:dadjoke:

Only when Cecil's idiot son gets his hands on it in The After Years, but we don't talk about that game.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

(MEANWHILE, THE TIME WIZARDS!)

I honest to God can't tell if alcohol and/or hallucinogens factor into the making of this game.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Apparently Planescape PCs are getting paid with the satisfaction of a job well-done in these adventures.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

I recall reading I think it was Boris Karloff who joked at Lugosi's funeral about staking him just to make sure.

It was Peter Lorre, asking Vincent Price "Do you think we should drive a stake through his heart, just in case?" To be fair, Lugosi was buried in his Dracula cape.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

joylessdivision posted:

twenty $1000 bills (a thing I don’t think exists)

They did exist! Alexander Hamilton (and later, Grover Cleveland) were on the front, and they were officially discontinued in 1969. Wikipedia says they (along with the similarly discontinued $5000 and $10000 bills) are still legal tender, though the Federal Reserve would probably destroy them once they got them, and good luck actually getting somebody to accept one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I think it's less "artifact of wealth" and more "hey, banks and the government need to move a lot of cash around and electronic banking hasn't been invented yet." (Also, I forgot about the $500 entirely when I made my last post; they're still legal, but again, nobody's going to actually accept it.)