Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

rodbeard posted:

So what version of Shadowrun is actually playable?

One not called Shadowrun. They all have huge problems that require GM fixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Night10194 posted:

It's a playtest document from an old open playtest. I wrote Fantasy Flight and asked if it was okay to write about in public, they said "We don't care, not our license anymore", so I wanted to cover it as a bit of history. It's no longer freely available and was a buy-in public beta in 2013. I know it's a little unusual, but it and the second draft document from the same playtest are very interesting in the way they show an attempt to revise the system that was then immediately walked back for a path of least resistance copy-paste book, which is what actually came to print. It isn't leaked so much as I bought into the playtest back when it was going on and still have the documents from it. The actual final product has been out for like 5 years, and was the last major book FFG published for the WH40kRP line.

E: If this is too much of a grey area, though, I'll stop and take a look at something else.

Given you have permission from the publisher, it seems legit content and it's interesting for the reasons you say.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

There are two:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/196463444/lifts-ultimate-pump-edition-the-rpg-for-your-muscl which features Deadlifts and Dragons

And Dungeons and Workouts which has objectively the inferior name.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Come to think of it, I suppose part of the grog backlash against Blue Rose and the genre of fantasy it represents is that Romantic Fantasy, in general, is very cognizant of being fantasy. The world wouldn't work like that, of course not. The point here is to imagine a world where it does. Where you can make that kind of difference with a magical singing voice, and where you're accepted and lauded for who you are. It's not about hard facts or logic, or "If you think about it rationally..."

There's a certain strain of gamer, prevalent in some sectors of the internet, that gets really annoyed when you treat a game first and foremost as a game.

I suspect given the target market of the books is young women sexism is also a driver

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

By popular demand posted:

Sure, I can buy that masses of labour zombies and some magi-tech help can feed a small nation.
They probably can't afford to acquire new lands since that requires more thinking officials to administrate, and the population growth is probably just enough to not slide towards extinction Under the actually capable darklord.

Things are about to get wild.

One angle they are not picking up here is what happens in North Korea. If you are to effective at managing your slice of the economy compared to everyone else (in the case of NK that means your slice shrinks slower than everyone else's), you start becoming too powerful and get shot by an AA gun.

You can easily see that while at the micro level you are beaten for failure to meet your quota, at the macro level meeting or exceeding your quota is quite dangerous.

This is going to apply at every level of 'leadership' from the regents on down.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

Judging by some of the GiP stories, looks like there is finally a bit of realism in my fantasy game! :v:

Given this WWI has been running for longer, the manpower (or lck thereof) situation woukd be brutal, particularly for Germany.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Ultiville posted:

Yeah none of these purity-obsessed fascists actually want to look at the track records of syncretic vs intolerant states at accomplishing things and improving the world, and it shows.

Additionally having a merit based mornach selection run by magical psychic deer is going to ensure that the average quality of leadership far exceeds historical monarchies and also will create more internal cohesion because it's effectively a the monarch is the representation of the divine but like you can actually see God give his blessing to the monarch.

Aldis has big structural advantages and it should be kicking goals!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I am loving this flying circus write up. I am inspired to maybe run/play an RPG for the first time in a couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Leraika posted:

I feel like 'when you accept this mission, you must complete it or die trying' and 'the guild master routinely puts up fake quests for a laugh' are not two great tastes that go great together, and that the former seems pretty bad in general if they don't really vet or take responsibility for jobs posted beyond the bare minimum (e.g. 'oh I tricked you into reviving the lich king with my innocent-sounding request, but you still gotta do it!!!').

e: also alignment is bad and dumb

I was optimistic it was an in universe bean counter alignment method where a disinterested bureaucracy would assign you a hero/scoundrel designation based on an arbitrary check list ham fistedly applied.