Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Could be worse, you could start F&Fing the... 4th age (?) nonD&D dragonlance RPG that was deck based. Maybe used special dice too? I forget. I think I found the core book but not the core box.

EDIT : Also, Fenneko is the best, I approve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
It kind of gets into the "What philosphies do you actually want to tie the the axises?" question. The mostly functional framework I've seen is Law/Chaos is very means vs end. My brain interprets it as ethics vs morals but it's actually like... deontological vs consequentialism.

And then Good/Evil mostly becomes a matter of selfishness. Or basically how big the side you are on is. So many villains are only out for themselves, or their immediate family (or sometimes one loved one, kill the world to save your daughter/wife kind of affair). As opposed to valuing everyone highly on the other end. With the usual spectrum between. Which then makes it very hard for Elves to be Good because they are usually racist pricks in fiction. Which makes me happy because pbbbbbbttt to elves.

So like a Good gone too far (especially with access to communication to the judge on the matter, or if it is a different criteria Detect Good) kingdom might take a bunch of the charity laws of older texts even further. It's illegal to buy a second shirt if you don't give your first one away. As long as you aren't starving all the food you have must be freely offered to anyone nearby, etcetcetc. All systems are gamable of course so it'd go hilariously wrong. I think I see it ending up like theoretical Communism (and not how Communism has ever occurred in our world). Although if it's via divine right that's possibly deeply brain breaking.

EDIT : I forgot my other Good too far idea, which is where you go all utilitarian and horrible enslave the world to make a happier place for all future generations so the maths puts you positive.

Which then reminds me of a great setting idea of as Devils are fallen angels (more a 4e thing, obviously not compatible with Planescape Outer Ring) they look the same as angels, and there are evil gods and evil angels anyway so when you get a message from the heavens you can never fully trust it.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 3, 2019

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
If gully dwarves were only one inbred clan in Xak Tsaroth (although obviously the isolated inbred family trope could offend to) it might work better.

On the other thread running through the thread, I've generally cut the difference on player vs character ability with the analogy that players set policy, and the characters enact it. In the same way the players pick the tactics for the fight (in a large number of games.) I expect the players to pick an approach that fits the scene and adjust difficulty/deny rolls appropriately. It's very much a spectrum though, because either ideal can be taken to an extreme from rolling one die and if it's a six you win! To running around the woods with sticks.

Even in PbtA Honesty Demands that you say "What the gently caress, you can't just say the crown jewels fell into your bag." if that is utterly ridiculous in your premise or context. If it's only moderately ridiculous then yeah, roll it.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I played some of a version of Dragonlance (3ed seems likely) and could not stop called the swamp ruins Hacks And Coughs instead of Xak Tsaroth

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I forget if the novels cover Raistlin's test or if it's in the short story anthologies. It's definitely not quite what that gamebook showed.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I assume promotion here is basically a transformation with the similar increase in abilities?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The colours having clearly distinguishable shapes feels like a 3.x creation to me. But my memory could be failing me.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The more Dragonlance lore that comes out the more I want a setting where worshipping any of the Good or Evil gods is illegal for causing too many wars. (Maybe some big placation festivals, but no churches/preaching/admittedly to being a cleric of them). Obviously they'd still have cults.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The thing I find kind of funny about Kender is, the thing D&D parties actually NEED from a Thief, is done pretty well by a tinker gnome stereotype. They are usually sneaky and tricky, and fix traps. How often is pickpocketing useful to murderhobos?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
If I run a game again, I might have to offer certain types of player a perk/feat/whatever that is just "Yes, you collect lots of random crap that costs under a GP each. You can roll a d20 to see if you have a match/sometwine/ballbearings/asparebottle. Stop bothering me."

EDIT : And then, default to saying Yes. unless it's super weird, or when they roll their reaction shows they think they should fail.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

NewMars posted:

Unrelated to any of this but where is your avatar from? That's a very distinctive style.

That would be Fenneko from Aggretsuko which is basically a Sanrio office comedy anime. EDIT : Libertad's avatar, that is. Mine is a dumb space ninja.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 27, 2020

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Fenneko is great, I wish I could be more like her. Though without the Instagram and Twitter use probably.

On topic : Which age was the SAGA stuff? Is that when Takhisis stole the world? All I remember is "The Gods went away again." and then when they went back to D&D "The Gods are back again."

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
That explains why I didn't remember any of that. I also feel kind of weird that that explanation of how it happened makes perfect sense to me. Bring back my youth where I believed writers had a PLAN.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Sadly the Wounds/Vitality/LifePoints or whatever system, especially with the base damage of Star Wars energy weapons basically meant every player character was going to be one shot by an enemy crit before like level 10 IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
drat, these NPC write-ups remind me I actually liked nWoD Mage. And that I had no idea what Nimbus or Attainments are.

Also that I get kind of grrr when people say WoD Mages (mostly Ascension) can 'do anything if they can explain it'. When it's actually can 'do anything, if they have enough XP to buy the very expensive stats and then roll pretty well and maybe blow a bunch of quintessence (or mana).'

EDIT : I guess I liked most of the nWoD stuff conceptually (never really had to run fights in it or anything). Hit me at a point where I was very over the lore bloat, global consipiracy feel of oWoD

Tylana fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 13, 2020