Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm sorry. I have to do this. I'm sorry. You did nothing to deserve this, this game doesn't deserve this level of thought in its lovely Labyrinth ripoff idea but dumb game economy things bug me.

What the gently caress are orbs? Like, literally what are they? Do you need some Orbcrafter License to make them or can I just jack off in my room making crystal orbs using rando family recipes and poo poo and never not at least have enough on hand to grab a meal and room for a night? Who determines the 'value' of the memory? Is 'wear a sweater if it's chilly' a 'basic' thought to EVERYONE in this magic bullshit game? What about creatures from some kinda world of eternal magma, isn't the very concept of snow a possibly mind blowing thing, let alone wearing a sweater to get MORE warm and cozy? How is it the universe version of :10bux: is so common? Glass orbs are basic poo poo but then they say crystal ones are just slightly elaborated basic poo poo, like recipes? I cook all the time, can I just make countless crystal orbs full of my recipes? Do they lose value when you spend them? If something costs twenty bucks can I pay the shopkeeper with two crystal orbs of the same memory, or does him getting the one make the other devalued because it's mundane now? If that's the case what keeps every merchant guild from building a big Scrooge McDuck vault of crystal orbs and letting everyone dance around in them when they join the guild, instantly turning any repeats of those memories worthless? If it's NOT the case what stops the money makers from just thinking of the same basic memory forever and making an endless supply of crystal orbs that never fade away?

I'm sorry, I have a sickness that makes me do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I can't even loving touch Magic Chuck-E-Cheese Tokens because I literally got a headache thinking about the questions that bullshit raised. All I can think of now are orbs. Orbs rule everything around me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Wapole Languray posted:

That's the exact description of orbs.

thank you, I hate this.

This is so stupid and needless twee for the sake of being ~whimsical~ but even then it literally invokes CHILD SWEATSHOPS right away!

This, like most of this very good rundown of this expensive clusterfuck, just makes me want to grab a writer, point them at any given fluff page, and just shake them shouting "WHY, THOUGH????"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Invisible Sun, because world building is hard, but just farting out a random ~magical detail~ without context or explanation is easy!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it costs 50 child labor sweatshop memories of what cheese tastes like to unreliably keep magic bugs out of your house

it costs 25 personal and meaningful memories to decorate any given room

gently caress this economy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
any given B&B type nicely decorated cozy inn setup costs HUNDREDS of personal memories like recipes that mean something and poo poo to furnish, let alone the cost of the building itself which must be thousands, all assuming they're not even going for high end poo poo.

gently caress off Invisible Sun.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I also think 'Princes of the Earth' is actually meant to be a bit diminutive, like they come from the greater dynasty and all but are a younger/less tested version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hostile V posted:

Part of the issue is that a bunch of Hovecraft Povecraft Lovecraft's fans and correspondents took all of his disparate works and bound them together under one greater unified canon due to his repeated use of themes, names and visuals. In actuality they're pretty tonally disparate and trying to put them all under one roof creates something pretty incoherent that is ostensibly all in greater service of the big picture theme of Cosmic Horror, which makes it hard to find an answer when people rightfully question the created canon or how these things co-exist.

yea this is really the core issue. People say poo poo like 'Lovecraft mythos' but that's not a thing, really. He had a loose general umbrella of themes and concepts, and a 'universe' in the sense that these great, alien, cosmic horrors have similar styles/methods but very different descriptions/agendas/etc. The reason it's hard to imagine the 'mythos' as poo poo like 'so does Cthulhu, like, serve Dagon or are they rivals or what' is because...that's not how they were written really. Like, it's just these two horrific beings both have completely alien agendas of corruption and seemingly wanton destruction of humanity that we don't understand, there's no 'coexistence' they're just two different stories. Deep Ones and cultists and junk don't have a 'relationship' because there's no real reason to ever think of them together in the base materials.

That said I would argue there is a 'worth' in exploring those questions. Cosmic Horror is more than just the most obvious elements. It can involve a lot of philosophical questions, questions about your place in the world and the dread of an inevitable doom that you can't even fully understand let alone fight. I think you can explore that with the more 'human' sides of things, creating a sympathetic offshoot to an entirely alien greater force and all. If you want an example of this the book The Ballad of Black Tom really nails the whole 'taking Lovecraft and exploring not just its themes and all but its actual characters'. I almost don't want to explain because it's such a genuinely good book but it takes the perspective of 'isn't it weird how in The Horror at Redhook Lovecraft made a super concentrated effort to talk about how the locals in Red Hook were 'an enigma' of assorted ethnic minorities (who it turns out are being led and exploited by a white guy), but his protagonist as a literal investigator seems to have no interest in studying that 'enigma'?' The exploration of why a minority in Red Hook may be willing to turn to 'dark magics' just on the basis of 'well at least loving Cthulhu doesn't care about what race we are when he eats our souls' is exactly what some are talking about here while remaining pretty strong Cosmic Horror.