Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
There's a supplement out there for playing an Ogre in 2e but it's poo poo. Ogres in that supplement get hard bonuses that make them far and away the best race (3 attacks, absurdly high WS, ST, and Toughness) and drawbacks that are either pure RP (you have to play dumb no matter your INT score, people won't like you) or drat near bonuses (you can't learn a bunch of skills like academics or read/write, which means when you take a career with them you can skip them and advance faster).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Is the God Machine supposed to be literally everywhere? Like if I head down to Maleolap or Yap and my only contact with the outside world is a monthly Copra boat does the GM have a tentacle eye in my coconut tree?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
The only backstories I can think of is "corporate super-soldier who 'stole' his body when he quit," or "rich-kid just here for the violence."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

a computing pun posted:

The other reason Apopcalypse World has sex moves is because - and I can't remember where I read this - the genre AW is emulating isn't Mad Max, it's "what if Mad Max was a HBO prestige drama". Messy, emotional, character-focused dynamics and dysfunctional relationships and deeply personal power struggles and people making decisions out of petty hatred or horniness or ambition. AW is a great fit for "standard" post-apocalypse because you only need to tone down the intensity of one half of the genre concept. But equivalently, to get from AW to get from AW to Monsterhearts you only need to swap out the other half.

Yeah, I've played and run quite a bit of AW and when someone asked me "what does a game of this actually look like" my best answer was: "it's like Deadwood. It's a Wild West town and you're the coolest people in the town."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I dunno, I feel like if you're not into wacky free-wheeling improvisation where players have insane power mostly limited by their creativity then you should play other good games. Nobilis just isn't for everybody. It should probably say that on the cover, but I think it does a good job conveying it with the twee pixie dream girl writing.

I see no problems with a knife that can cut anything you can define or any of those applications for a Nobilis game. You're playing people who can enter the tomb of horrors and leave it a dinosaur themed Italian restaurant. Your challenges are mostly, "what do you want to do with your incredible power? Cure cancer? Great, done, no more cancer in the world. The God of Pointless Suffering is leaving you angry messages now" or "the color red is under attack, defend it!" or "tea party, everyone be twee at each other for 3 hours. This is what you really wanted."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
When you're playing BlueBeard's Bride, what do the player(s?), like, do?

It feels like they just wander from room to room, being horrified and never touching anything, because why would you touch any of this poo poo, until they get to the end and are murdered?

Could the bride fashion a set of weapons and armor from this random poo poo and fight bluebeard? Can they take one of the spooky torches and just burn everything, so they both go down together and no one has to go through this again?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Everyone posted:

Which is still better than what they are in Werewolf: The Forsaken where they're basically Spirit Cops.

One thing I really like about Forsaken is that Father Wolf was 100% a spirit cop and you can be one too if you want, your power set even encourages it mechanically, but the best way to actually help is to stop being such a loving cop about poo poo.

lovely places attract lovely spirits that make it more lovely. If you roll in and murder all the spirits, new ones move in. You didn't do anything structural to fix it, just made a power vacuum. If you can get the spirits to self police a bit by empowering one that's alright, or if you go on the mortal side and deal with the underlying issue at the same time as you evict the spirits, then you can make lasting change.

Bad werewolves patrol around town and get in a fight every day with 4 headed snakes or whatever.

Good werewolves turn That One Building into a food bank and then volunteer there every once in a while to make sure there's no abuse and the bad vibes are really going down.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
If your system fully models the defensive properties of plate you should then also model the time to put it on and off, and the exhaustion that comes with wearing it for long stretches, which differs depending on the weather and activity. Also the issues with perception that come with that helmet with only a narrow vision slit.

That's a huge issue with simulationist approaches. Is all the accounting to simulate worth the time and mental energy, or did you make a pointless chore for the players? When do you abstract and what kind of behavior does the simulation/abstraction break encourage? Is everyone going to just live encased in armor because you're accounting for all the advantages and handwaving the disadvantages? Or is armor an annoying martial tax compared to literal magic forcefields and kung-fu master dodge tanks?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

MonsieurChoc posted:

There's a lot of classism in how peasants are treated in fantasy media. Like they're always stupid ignorant bigots or poor victims with no agency.

People should read up on Peasant Rebellions more.

Yeah, it's sucked up that they gave peasants a bigotry bonus but I would have been fine with it if they just changed the flavor a bit to Peasant Lore or something. Like besides actual monster hunters it's the peasants who are first contact with monsters and civilizations first line of defense. So they should have a ton of "ifin you ever see a Goodman sprout the hair of a foul wolf take your family's silver cross wot with the sharp part (you know the one) and strike for the heart."

Meanwhile city folk think this monster stuff is all superstitious peasant nonsense and get freaked out more easily.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I remember some of the 4e dragonmarks being mechanically overtuned. There were very few characters who wouldn't want a dragonmark just because they give you more than a vanilla feat.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
The increased reach from Giant would have been great in 1e because it lets you stand behind a more tanky build and full attack more often. Grab a reach weapon and odds are you can hit anything without moving. Also means you can lock down a whole area with attacks of opportunity with the right feats.

In 2e though that's all less of a thing.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
You could make D&D style wizards pick a single spell school and they'd be at least on par with the non-caster classes, if not still better.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
For contrast I want an absolutely minimum level of hosed office drone just trying to make the best of his I dunno, gills or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Fighter should have been a 5 level class that branches into all the other flavors of fighter.