Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

lofi posted:

I've not heard of beast, can I get the 101?

Beast is almost literally "Justifying Abuse: The RPG" and was written by Matt McFarland, who, after Beast was published, was accused of sexual assault and statutory rape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

...I have a similar theory that some nontrivial percentage of the backlash against 4E D&D - not the majority, but enough that it should be seen as a creative mistake - came from people who had a bad time with the first official adventure module (Keep on the Shadowfell).

loving Irontooth! :argh:

8one6
May 20, 2012

These Demon NPCs have been way more interesting to me than the Promethian ones. I'm honestly tempted to pick up Demon now.

8one6
May 20, 2012

hyphz posted:

... Because the game that broke me wasn't Blades In The Dark. It wasn't even Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition. No. It was Shadowrun Fourth / Twentieth Anniversary Edition. (Yes, the name's already a mess.)

Funny enough, this is the last edition of Shadowrun that I played that I would describe as "not entirely terrible".

8one6
May 20, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I could hardly get through the gear in Shadowrun 4th. Goddamn.

This is not an incorrect reaction.

rodbeard posted:

So what version of Shadowrun is actually playable?

The Shadowrun thread suggests either 3e or just reskin Blades in the Dark. The person in my IRL game who runs SR is just planning on using Genesys the next time he wants to run Shadowrun.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 7, 2019

8one6
May 20, 2012

Phys Adepts loving rocked in 4e. Not sure about 5e since I never looked at the magic rules for that edition.

8one6
May 20, 2012

"You rolled the dice bad so your hand snapped off" is some poo poo I'd expect to see from a garbage D&D houserule not an actual published game.

8one6
May 20, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I still don't get what made putting "sex moves" in any game, ever, seem like a good idea.

Because it's a deep and mature game for adult gamers and if you don't like maybe you're the immature one maaaaaaan!
Now play these characters that gets special powers when they gently caress each other.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

There is absolutely no maybe in you being the immature one here, friendo.

You're not incorrect.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I'm guessing it's a bullet list and the copy/paste formatted the dot as a 0.

8one6
May 20, 2012

This is one of the best threads on the forum. I appreciate all the work everyone has put into this over the years.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Drke martial artist

8one6
May 20, 2012

Angrymog posted:

I really like Fantasycraft's overall system and a lot of its subsystems, but the monster stuff is a special hell

That's why you use the npc builder

8one6
May 20, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Mercanes are mysterious 12 foot tall extraplanar traders with mysterious goals who travel freely about all the planes as they move mysteriously and seek mysterious goods for mysterious purposes or hire adventurers for mysterious errands.

These were one of the few things that ended up in 3.x from Spelljammer, where they were called Arcane (because that wasn't ever going to be confusing at all). They existed pretty much to justify being able to buy and sell magic loot.

8one6
May 20, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Juggalo Baby Coffin's Invisible Sun

is this how you do game design?

I couldn't tell if this was an actual quote from the game or not so yes.

Invisible Sun is an entire RPG of Bad Gaiman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cK-8jnub5Q

8one6
May 20, 2012

If I'm not mistaken that handle can't even turn all the way around the grinder.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Slimnoid posted:

There's also the theory (presented in 3.5's Lords of Madness) that Illithids are time-travelers from the distant future, right around the heat death of the universe. They'd conquered everything, all the suns were extinguished, but now their entire empire and race was about to die because existence itself was going to fall in on itself. So, they figure, just travel to the past and start over!

This doesn't work out very well for them, obviously.

This ties in with that bit of lore about Aboleths having no memory at all of the Illithids. Aboleths having a perfect genetic memory of every other previous Aboleth and their memories, and have existed since before the gods existed--but illithids? They have no idea where the hell they came from. One day they just appeared. And that terrifies the Aboleths.

This is one of my favorite bits of D&D lore.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Why would you ever not play a mummy in this game?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

The first time I ever felt like a Chicagoan was when I learned that some adults still put ketchup on their hotdogs. Like, I felt actual, visceral disgust. That’s the sort of poo poo you wean children off of before they hit double digits, why would you do that as an adult? What the gently caress? What is wrong with you?

I've seen what Chicagonians put on a hot dog and the ketchup thing is some real "loading stones into an automatic baseball pitcher and firing randomly through my glass house" poo poo.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

This feels less like an actual trap and more like you've wandered into a pit trap showroom. I'd imagine once they're charmed, the Naga will start their sales pitch, and by the time it wears off, the PCs will find they've agreed to purchase half a dozen top-of-the-line pit traps.

Well it would have been silly to only buy 5 when you get a discount on 6 or more.

8one6
May 20, 2012

OtspIII posted:

E. Ogre Cave
The ogre’s just a one-man faction living in a one-room cave. He works as a mercenary for whoever will hire him (including, potentially, the players). He’s got a bunch of treasure and a sweet cave-bear bed-pelt. A big, dumb, greedy, dangerous, untrustworthy mercenary is good stuff in a module like this.

So my friend Brady wanted to run us through the caves of chaos a few years back. Setup was fine, we get to the caves and decide to scout around and find an easier entrance to the caves then the one lined with skulls (we were only level 2 at the time but there were like 8 of us, including someone really new to rpgs who was going to be the scout). The scout sneaks into the cave and the GM starts reading the boxed text, getting only far enough into it to say "...you see a bear..." before the scout dashes out of the cave to alert the rest of the part that it's a bear cave! Well, our gnome alchemist could talk to animals (We were playing Pathfinder at the time) so as a group we decided that the gnome and the scout should head in to talk to the bear to see if we could use the cave as an entrance into the rest of the caves of chaos.

They discover, too late to flee, that the boxed text was making mention of a bear-skin rug the Ogre was using as a bed. At about the point the two players realizes what happened the ogre has appeared and proceeded to paste the gnome in one hit*. The scout books it, gets the rest of us, and we have a bit of a fight with an ogre.

And that's the story of how the new guy learned to wait for a room's description to finish before reacting.

*the gnome had 1 hit point left, he was fine.

8one6
May 20, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

The Mi-Go found "Yuggoth Travels." Once you're just a brain in a canister, you can survive pretty much any hostile conditions. So they pop out your brain and you get to tour various non-Earth planets, while your body remains in cold storage, and when you get home you even have a cool Frankenstein scar to show off to your friends. In return they get human money so they can buy up mineral rights and of course pump their guests for information on their new business partners. They also help humanity deal with alien threats, not necessarily out of compassion but because if all of humanity gets melted down by the King In Yellow, suddenly they'll lose their business deals and their signed contracts will no longer be worth the regolith slabs they're printed on.

Sign me the gently caress up. That sounds sweet as hell.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Of the three mostly incompatible games in the Cthulhutech core book the Evangelion game was somehow the weakest.

Also it was hilarious just how opposed the devs were to anyone actually doing the EVA thing and having teen Mech pilots. (or Gyver pilots but I don't remember anything from the Ctech chat about them throwing as big a fit about that.)

8one6
May 20, 2012

Wrestlepig posted:

SHADOWRUN 5e.
GEAR part 1.

For Melee, you just have Blades for cutting and Clubs for bludgeoning, which includes staves. Some things will tie to unarmed as well. Katanas are almost always the best weapon for anyone interested in being a melee guy, though a polearm or Combat axe has upsides, and a knife is easier to conceal. There’s a couple unarmed options as well: Brass knuckles or shock gloves.

For the discerning Shadowrunner might I recommend the Victorinox Memory blade concealed in the lining of a belt.

8one6
May 20, 2012

After the rigger book came out the best way to play one (imo) was to focus on a few high quality drones instead of just swarms of trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

Get yourself a steel lynx and the biggest gun you can afford to mount on it at the time.

I had to rebuild the drat thing three or four times that campaign but none of the other players ever regretted me sending "Goodbye Kitty" on a run.