Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

AmiYumi posted:

Okay, are we sure Monte Cook's Magical Realm isn't "subjecting people to ideas so terrible they have an aneurysm"?

People paid $300 and up for this. Actual real-life money that could have gone anywhere else.

I'm sad now. :sigh:

quote:

Pledge $5,912 or more
Merge With the Black Cube

I summon and merge with the infamous Black Cube from the void. I become one with it. I receive a unique copy of the Invisible Sun game.

The box of this unique copy of the game includes my name in red foil and a special foil symbol found nowhere else—one of the Invisible Sun artists designs it just for me. It includes a personalized note that Monte writes to me, including a singular secret of the setting that only I will ever have access to. The box is signed and personalized, and also includes a unique, secret element that will be true only for my copy.

I also gain access to the Directed Campaign run by Monte, including direct contact with Monte to gain advice and suggestions just for me. I receive all the stretch goal rewards unlocked in this campaign, including new hardbound supplements, additions to the box, and more.

My conjuration includes special bronze versions of all eight sun medallions and the Invisible Sun medallion. No more than 3 (plus one that Monte will have) of these special medallion sets will be made. I also gain all the sun-based secrets of the setting, regardless of when I make my pledge.

I get early access to the game’s rules and can be a part of the playtest, providing feedback. During this process, I’ll provide a character name that will be incorporated into the setting (probably with a spell named after me).

With the power of this spell I will meet with Monte and the entire Monte Cook Games design team for an in-person game session in Seattle. (Travel expenses to Seattle not included.) After this game, Monte will reveal secrets of the setting and game available nowhere else.
Includes

• Unique copy of the game signed and personalized by Monte
• Special access version of the Directed Campaign
• All Stretch Goal books and other items unlocked
• Character/spell named after me
• Early playtest access
• Special bronze medallions (x9)
• Game with the MCG design team
• All Sun-based secrets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm reminded of Eberron, where there are several setting mysteries that Baker straight up did not come up with an answer for because they're more interesting that way.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Monte Cook's Wizard Memory Gig Economy.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

JcDent posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I regret to inform you that the Euros are at it again:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dracostudios/eldritchcenturycorebook/description

It's like they took a look at the more... colorful choices in world-building in Infinity and Degenesis, and said "hold my cerveza"

Monte Cook is leaking, apparently.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Character Motivation (invisible)
Plot (invisible)
Truth (inscrutable)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mounts have to be one size category larger than you, or specifically stated to be able to carry your weight.

Insert halfling luchador wrestling all the big bads into submission. Redemption by suplex.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Night10194 posted:

By god it's Slamwise Gamgee's music!

"I may not be able to suplex my personal issues."
*Crowd pops and joins in the chant*
"BUT I CAN! SUPLEX! YOU!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Which itself is not really a place you want to go. It's on the elemental plane of fire, basically everyone who lives there is elementally evil, and their economy revolves entirely around slavery.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

lofi posted:

so far I'd say the monsters are 50/50 between usable and dick moves by the gm - those tree stumps? a monster. pile of books? monster.

Like, they seem to exist just to be a gently caress you to players, just a combat that PCs can't do poo poo to avoid.

Mors?

Is there a Gazeebo Promethean?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Libertad! posted:

If true, this is one of the few things V5 did right. Several of the Gehennan prophecies are quite explicitly the types of things regressive undead fossils would create as scapegoats for Camarilla problems:

1.) Chinese vampires invading the West, basically Yellow Peril tropes.

2.) Thin-bloods as the harbinger of the apocalypse, aka maligning a social group which has zero institutional power to actually fight back.

3.) Mortal wizards becoming the Tremere and the Anarch Revolt, aka any change in the status quo will DESTROY US ALL.

Yes and No. Gehenna didn't happen but the Vampires are still terrible and the anarchs are revolting and also Thin-Bloods are still horribly maligned.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Gauru form 2nd ed werewolves or a demon going loud have the most mechanics going for them. Everything else needs to just be a pile of stats to beat what they get.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

e: for the latter, Beasts in general are up there with their soul-theft Nightmare which is broken as gently caress, but...ugh, I'd have to think about it.

Don't forget that they can make the soul-theft nightmare contagious.

Or the atavism from the new book that's basically "Start a civilization destroying plague" for one satiety.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I feel like this is a prime time to bring up the Promethean story from the Beast Fiction Anthology. Where a Beast just does not understand why all the Prometheans are happy for their friend who's now a boring normal human, and is halfway towards finding out if you can de-humanify a Promethean before her friend takes a flying leap off of her pilgrimage to kill the Beast in question.

Mainly in that Promethean games should be about killing Beasts a lot.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 18, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

8one6 posted:

Beast is almost literally "Justifying Abuse: The RPG" and was written by Matt McFarland, who, after Beast was published, was accused of sexual assault and statutory rape.
What's worse is that it came out that he and his wife were using their positions on the board of their indie dev organization to intimidate victims and suppress accusations. And his wife was the sole editor on Beast. So she apparently knew/knows what he did and approves.

rodbeard posted:

I don't know with how overwrought and angsty ever other WoD book is I'm glad there's one that's just gently caress it I'm going to eat this guy and call it an ironic punishment. I would love to be running around as a slasher movie villian while everyone else is trying out their Anne Rice rollplay.

It could be that, it perhaps would have been good if it was that, but it's not. The issue is that beast rather clumsily welds itself to LGBTQ people as a metaphor for being born some way and not being able to control it. "I have to mind-rape people and it's not right for you to tell me I can't." It also casts Jocks and Conservatives as the main villains of the book while also stating that such people are actually systemically immoral and thus okay to kill, and that if they were moral they would accept Beasts for what they are and help them mind-rape people. Also the players guide completely gave the game away and introduced a splat of beasts who are cursed with urges to literally physically rape people, and states that they should be applauded for having the wherewithal and mental fortitude to go even one day without raping people, and not blamed for their actions if they give into their impulses.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Aren't Zeky the ones powered by radiation?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Do you guys want me to give a similar treatment to the Apocalypse scenarios?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Apocalypse Scenarios!

The Last Battleground-After the sacrifices of 3 beings aspected to the different heads of the Triatic Wyrm(that the players could, ostensibly stop but profoundly are not meant to) the Wyrm plops a battlefield down somewhere in the umbra adjacent to a powerful caern. After gathering all their spirit allies from the various umbral realms(Your player characters have been going on wacky adventures in the umbral realms, haven't they? What do you mean you haven't been following the storypath?!) you join the battle, there really isn't an option not to join the battle. You probably lose.

A Tribe Falls-This is actually thirteen different scenarios, one for each of the tribes potentially falling. Most of them are basically "There's a bad faction that's been acting in secret for a while but they've struck and now everyone's corrupt" or "The tribe leadership makes a really dumb decision that corrupts everyone" So I'll only comment on some/most of them

Black Furies-Due to them channeling wyld energies so much they start to change in various subtle ways, and then not so subtle ways like gaining different sets of memories or becoming an entirely different person. And since they hate the Weaver so much they throw in with the Wyrm and go about trying to bring humanity back to a pre-industrial state.

Children of Gaia-So there's a major CoG character named Cernounos, who's a geneticist. And wanted to revive the Bunyip. He was able to scrounge together enough thylacine DNA to actually create shapeshifting thylacines again. But he can't 'science' up a bunyip soul and they're hilariously wyrm tainted. Cernounos e-mailed his findings to the Cog leadership shortly before he was forced to walk the spiral. The CoG leadership read his email and the entire tribe unanimously decides "Hey, we should cure the Wyrm of it's madness." So they perform a very powerful and ancient rite meant to heal the wyrm's broken soul.
And the ritemaster botches the roll and instead summons the eater of souls right there in the CoG Caern.
The eater of souls spreads a miasma of despair and suffering across all of north america and what few CoGs aren't corrupted by him are killed either by Gaian garou who don't believe them, or their former tribe-mates.

Glass Walkers-The concept of Pentex as a whole awakens into an incarnae that performs the spiritual equivalent of a corporate buyout on the Glasswalker's Totem.

Red Talons- The red talons eat humans, and get infected with a Prion disease, it doesn't affect them because werewolves, but they are carriers and end up infecting literally the entire native wolf population. Which then promptly dies. They blame humans for this and leap into the loving arms of the Wyrm.

Shadow Lords- Grandfather Thunder suggests to Gaia that he be elevated to Celestine status to combat the Red Star. Gaia agrees to do so if the Shadow Lords can accomplish a task in a years time. They obviously can't, and that was originally the entire point, to teach them and Thunder some humility. But since they threw themselves so single mindedly into this task they left their holdings mostly unguarded, so their physical and spiritual enemies are much much much stronger. Rather than admit their colossal fuckup they blamed Gaia and joined the Wyrm.

Wendigo-A Wendigo pack that objects to the fact that the us government doesn’t treat indigenous populations well hijacks a nuclear equipped submarine and nukes the gently caress out of the eastern seaboard, the book is very insistant on the fact that they have not fallen to the Wyrm at this point. The rest of the garou nation marches up to the main Wendigo sept to kindly ask them what the gently caress and interrupt their yearly ritual to keep Wendigo from falling to the wyrm! Whoops! If only those horrible Europeans had trusted the Wendigo more when they were literally nuking the entirety of New York State! Everything north of Panama is then immediately cast into eternal hell winter and the wendigo all turn into cannibal super werewolves.

Weaver Ascendant- Turns out the Weaver was the true enemy all along! A hyper advanced supercomputer awakens to spiritual sentience and merges with the Weaver before taking over a Zaibatsu which then buys out Pentex and starts wiping out the Fera in Japan and Europe. North America is marginally safer for the Fera/Garou because there’s still a lot of “Rural” out here for them to hide in. However since the Weaver is super powerful it’s nearly impossible to access the spirit world. Thus the Garou and their Fera allies proceed to hack every corporation on earth and dump their receipts onto the internet, every single TV station, and most people’s cell phones while simultaneously having Godzilla march through times square with a mage on it’s back shooting fireballs that spell out “Smash the state”, this weakens the gauntlet enough for the Fera to break through and fight their way to set loose the Weaver’s daughter (which is a backup weaver, basically) the resulting spiritual backlash of which kills the Weaver and frees the Wyrm, but also kills the Fera. And the new Weaver is kinder than the old one, and more than willing to let reality sit in peace, but sees no real need for Fera running around doing werewolf things.

Ragnarok- The spirit of the asteroid belt figures that the best way to cleanse the wyrm from Gaia is to throw an asteroid at it. The spirit of the asteroid belt is not smart. The garou undertake a very dangerous rite to move the moon out of orbit and into the path of the asteroid. This works, but severely wounds the spirit Luna and most Lunar Fera in various ways. Regardless, there’s now tons of small asteroids and pieces of moon that impact the earth’s surface and cast it into fimbulwinter. Garou and BSDs fight over the shards as they’re one of the few surefire ways to get back rage and gnosis anymore. World’s dying cloud.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I love Weaver Ascendant because Operation Full Disclosure is the craziest goddamn thing. You hack the entire internet using the supercomputer that is the brain of a Ratkin that was experimented on by Pentex while also breaking the veil all across the world simultaneously. The book even has guidelines for how to build the largest, most obvious Mokolé with which to break the veil. Also the perfect metis comes back and he's perfectly sane and super attractive and rips Zyzrryzryrk in half when she doesn't agree that he should be in charge now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I was going to say the reason they never used "Too many consonants" for anything is that she's not a character so much as a walking crime scene. She doesn't have wants or needs beyond killing things and lots of things. Her only interaction with the plot proper is that she's the avatar of the beast of war, and Her killing 3 werewolf packs before being drowned in a river of their blood is the sacrifice needed to bring him into the world.
The first sacrifice was Ravnos, an incarnation of the Eater of Souls, apparently, who was killed at the end of the Week of Nightmares by dropping several spiritually awakened nukes on him followed by having several orbital sun mirrors shined on the spot where his corpse was regenerating (Note: the only actual interaction Werewolves have with this bit of metaplot was that a pack of Garou were sent to the area to figure out what the gently caress was going on. They arrived just in time to get nuked)
The last sacrifice is the Perfect Metis, who is the sacrifice meant to bring the Defiler wyrm into the world. The less spoken about how the game means for him to be sacrificed the better, as it's meant to be a personal failure for the pack. The metaplot up until this point is supposed to have the pack not only save the perfect metis, but sort of adopt him as a team mascot because he's honestly just a normal kid who happens to be doomed to have a lot of terrible loving poo poo happen to him.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

NuWoof even encourages different tribes in a pack for a variety of Sacred Hunts.

Yeah, that's one of the better changes from first to 2nd edition. In first edition the game said that Tribes mostly hated eachother and loathed to interact while simultaneously presenting all these multi-tribe packs.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i don't know if it was canon but my high school group explained it like "woofs don't go into cities because of the wyrm, and woofs will straight clown on your average blood sucker, so the blood suckers learned to stay in cities as a natural defense against having to deal with woofs."

also it seemed like the city dwelling tribes tended to be the ones that were maybe the bad guys, or at least not as opposed to working with the wyrm, so they're traitors anyway and you're totally justified tearing them apart

Yeah, Vampire's "Lupines" as statted were ridiculous. They had max physical stats which doubled in were form, had every physical discipline at near max dots, infinite blood points, and probably some thaumaturgy. They were the scary beat stick the ST used when they wanted to get the players back in line.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 20, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Gerund posted:

Tremere had the most lore-central position because being the Wizard-like clan in a roleplaying game gave them huge appeal for writers and readers, and the 'history' (as was told to me) was that all Tremere were actually just Tzimisce that ate their way up to Saulot so all three clans get circled around.

The body-hopping part mostly feels like a way to keep the players from just offing the physical body with numberwang before going through the riddle of how to 'kill the soul'.

Also Saulot was a special snowflake holy vampire who could do no wrong and was sacred and pure and his bloodline is also sacred and pure and has magic holy powers so he's always going to show up in something plot significant.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Night10194 posted:

This seems very unusual for a vampire. I thought all the ancient ones were supposed to be bugfuck crazy abominations from beyond on some level.

Saulot's clan flaw is that they cannot feed on blood that has not been freely given. Also he's one of the few vampires who has canonically undergone Golconda, which requires you to be more human than normal humans.

At least until swedracula came in and swung his dick around, knocking over all the plates and chairs and declared that Vampires don't have souls, and they only get their soul back once they have undergone Golconda. Meaning that several of the horrifically evil vampire wraiths that were rather explicitly not on the path of humanity now have, at some point in their backstory, undergone Golconda.

This hasn't been explained and never will be probably.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It's sort of the whole "For vampire good to evil then vampire evil must exist" thing. And since Vampires are already starting from a low point, the counterpart to vampire Jesus skins babies and wears their entrails as a hat.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

It's like the opposite of oWoD metaplot! Confronting it and making it relevant to your game requires going out of your way to do so.

Whereas oWoD wrote stuff into the metaplot like "Your Clan left the Camarilla. And you over there? You're dead."

The Stargazers and the Salubri are too powerful, You can't play them anymore. Here are rules to play them. Stop playing them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Zereth posted:

Doesn't being in torpor for an extended period of time mess up your memories, and any ancient vampire has either spent a lot of time in torpor or is somehow feeding entirely on other high-power-stat vampires exclusively?
High blood potency vampires need to feed off of other vampires. And extremely high blood potency vampires can only feed off of other high blood potency vampires. The fact that this is unsustainable is what eventually drives vampires into torpor, during which your blood potency degrades back down to 'can feed off of people' levels.
Spending time in torpor for extended periods of time messes up your memories but also Torpor does some weird magical poo poo where it will give you memories and languages that you need to survive once you wake up. You'll be slightly out of date but more "That's not how you use a touchscreen, grandpa" and less "Please stop calling it a mechanical velocipede."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Froghammer posted:

Also even though we've established in canon that under certain circumstances Werewolves can, in fact, become Vampires, we're not going to tell you how that works because then you'll want to play one and we don't want you to want that.

In first edition they stated that you could make vampires out of all the were creatures. Second edition walked that back a bit, specifically for the Sun based were-beasties. Corax self immolate in a pillar of sunlight, killing themselves and the vampire who tries to embrace them. Mokole don't work most of the time and when it does they just go into permanent frenzy in their godzilla form.

So when Kitsune were introduced late in the line they stated in no uncertain terms that no, they cannot be embraced, they literally burst into flames if you try because WHO THE gently caress KNOWS BUT STOP loving TRYING.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

LatwPIAT posted:

I think Vampire actually knew exactly what it wanted to be, which is basically late Revised oVampire without the metaplot, Elders, and unnecessary cruft. It's a very streamlined Vampire experience, which makes it a bit unremarkable compared to oVampire, but it's very clear about what it wants to be: you play a sexual assault metaphor who's part of a secret organization in conflict with other secret organizations.

Whereas nWerewolf doesn't know what it's about at all, except that it's not oWerewolf. Hanging around in war form all the time so you can be a big furry? Not allowed. Having sex in werewolf form? Not allowed. it tries to curtail the excesses of oWerewolf but it doesn't have much to replace them with, in part because it doesn't seem to have much pop-cultural material about werewolves to draw on. The WoD werewolf is a unique take, whereas the WoD vampire is refined from the ore of pop culture.

Yeah, 1st edition nWerewolf was very uncomfortable to read because in deliberately and vehimently separating themselves from oWoof it came off as very puritanical and off putting.
These are the rules of Werewolf society, if you deviate they should have you killed. Except for the sex one, in that one the mother must suffer as much as possible so your horrifying baby can kill the both of you. This is your territory, if you ever leave it another pack should kill you. If you ever interact with other werewolves you should be killed. etc.

And then they tried to bring the weird sex obsessed furries market back in with Changing Breeds for some inscrutable reason.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I would argue the reason is very scrutable

Someone had to hire Phil to write that book. Like, I know that it's a book about hypersexed furries because Phil wrote it. But someone also hired Phil to write a book about hypersexed furries in TYOOL 2007.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I guess. It's just bizarre to me with how Puritanical nWoof core/Blood of the Wolf was with regards to wolf sex and female bodily autonomy (There's roughly two full pages devoted to werewolf pregnancy and what it does to your baby: Spoiler alert-Death Rage=you just ripped your baby's soul out of it's body. good job mom) that White Wolf (because it was still WW at the time) signed off on a book with sidebars about going to Fur-cons to have crinos orgies.

Then 2e Woof and Demon came out and were amazingly sex positive and inclusive of nonbinaries.

Then Swedracula Kramer'd into W20 and tried to make things puritanical there because... edge I guess?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The only way to get a cover without stealing something from someone is to "angel-jack". Which is, steal the identity of an angel and do whatever task is required of it before going off script, you'll have a perfect cover because the god machine made it, up until you gently caress it up.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I Am Just a Box posted:

Now, if you want to use Demon: the Descent to play somebody who suddenly manifests bizarre occult physical superpowers, without necessarily knowing why, and who is then pursued, seemingly unprovoked, by unknown inhuman entities under the guise of corporate conspirators or government spooks? Well, a demon in Cover has human physiology. They are sexually compatible with ordinary humans. Their children are more human than demon, but their heritage can show through, sometimes even three or four generations deep...

Children can also retroactively become part demon, if one of their parents (or both of their parents) get soul-pacted, or a demon inherits their relationship as "parent".

Demonic heritage does not care about causality.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Hell, even Mass Effect does that from 3 onwards with its omni-weapons. Be they blades or the weirder stuff other specialists use, the weapons are almost totally invisible so the soldier's omni-tool lights it up with a holographic display just so the user can see where the drat thing is.

The best part about the Omni-weapons is that the engineers (AKA: The tech nerd classes) create a giant flaming disc and swing it backhand, or fabricate a bunch of micro-grenades on their fists and punch with those.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

In theory--and yes, the game lays out its setting's theories--magick is balanced by having hard limits on what it is and isn't, and what it can and can't do, unlike D&D. In practice, they ignore it all the time, and magick can do really powerful stuff anyway.

The "Analyze Device" spell in particular grinds my gears. It's less offensive than a 1st edition spell called Fix, which fixes broken things.

According to the way magick works in Shadowrun, a gadget-fixing spell or even a lockpicking spell should be impossible. Because spells manipulate energy. Magick itself isn't intelligent and doesn't know things or solve problems. It can't give you skills you don't have, or perform technical work that you don't know how to do. Now, you could maybe summon an urban spirit that knows how to do it for you, because spirits are sentient creatures.

also don't Magic and Technology Hate each other and thus a spell that fixes a mechanical device be like.. No?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

MadScientistWorking posted:

No. That's what Covok mentioned with her comment about Ziggy and Tommy who are both green rangers. Tommy is kind of a serious brooding loner who has trouble adjusting to the team. Ziggy is a comedic ranger who only became one to prevent the bad guys from winning. To give context to how much of a stark difference it is Ziggy's first lines as a Power Ranger was," Im a Power Ranger!!!! Noo.... I don't want to be a Power Ranger anymore I don't want to be a Power Ranger anymore." The closest analog to Tommy in Power Rangers RPM is Ziggy's friend the black ranger.

And then there's the blue ranger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkDhvakx2P4

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Everyone posted:

Who's the person the Blue Ranger is fighting who sounds a lot like Karen Gillan but who probably isn't Karen Gillan?

By process of elimination of her being literally the only female villain mentioned for RPM. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide_Kane

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Not so much the main 'villain' but the main 'dude you fight' in the CP2077 game is a dude who's only remaining fleshy parts are the skin over his metal skull and the brain, the rest of him is just a top spec combat robot.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Not gonna lie, I hope they make another Shadowrun game, and let HBG write it, and then repeatedly hit them with a rock whenever they try to touch the gameplay. Outsource that poo poo to some people who know what the gently caress they're doing.

I'm amused that COOL and EMPathy are two separate stats. Like the idea that you can apparently dunk on people with STYLE and COOLNESS while also being completely unable to fit a room. On the one hand it sounds stupid, because if you're trying to impress or intimidate people, you need to understand them to some extent. On the other hand it sounds hilarious, the idea that you have this SUPER BADASS STAGE PERSONA and then the moment someone actually talks to you off-stage you're a mumbling socially awkward wreck.

The way the video game plays it, the conversation options that are gated by COOL are saying/doing incredibly cringy things. So it's simultaneously "Your ability to slaughter hundreds like an unfeeling wave of death" and "Your self image is durable enough that you're willing to pose for a selfie with a K-pop group."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

Assuming I caught everything (I don't have my book on my phone, just my game notes), the skills tied to COOL in RED are Persuasion, Bribery, and Interrogation, while EMP has Conversation, Human Perception, and Play Instrument. So the RPG divides somewhat differently from how 2077 does, but not that far off I guess?

The game only has Body, Cool, Intelligence, Reflexes, and Technical Ability.
Reflexes governs bladed weapons and non-tech guns, and also increases crit chance. Cool increases your crit damage and handles most of the stealth stuff.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Fivemarks posted:

Imagine if Shadowrun was the kind of setting were writers were like "You see how poo poo things are? You can CHANGE IT. You see those dragons making things worse? You can slay them" instead of it being some of the worst of the 90's metaplot driven "no players can't do anything ever" RPGs. Like Forgotten Realms and Elminster, except Shadowrun is worse about it than Greenwood's Magical Realm.

The problem is that The Dunkelzhan's legacy thing is a loving goldmine for poo poo like that. "Oh welp you tripped some weird escape clause in the dragon president's will, here's 50 gazillion bucks to do that thing you've always wanted to do." But they've never really done that. Instead using it for just a bunch of vague references and digs at people.

Shadowrun is really bad about creating really neat ideas and then just loving squandering them. Like, technopaths were real interesting, the idea of there being a literal magic analogue within the realm of technology that people can access without a rig was neat. But shadowrun technology is *wholly* incompatible with magic, and that's a hill that they will die on. And then they just completely abandoned Technopaths or made it so the rules to run them are so orthogonal to regular gameplay that wanting to play one is seen as a sign of being a problem player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

There's just a disembodied right werewolf arm coming out of that dude's chair for some reason.