Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Gerund posted:

Howard only disliked civilization because he was pro-lynching of black men and had issue with courts preventing that.

Ooof. I don't doubt you, but do you have a source for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
The hell is a Yud

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
...so, are there any good sourcebooks on Myconids or other fungus folk?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I remember this guy who was troublingly obsessed with parasitic fungi from my time on grogs.txt, I think he took down his blog of his many homebrewn fungi and the myriad ways they could murder you, tho.

A tragedy this folk art is lost to us.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Omnicrom posted:

So, is this adventure supposed to be a farce? Because so far this reads like a Ralph Bakshi fever dream. A demigoddess shagging a genetically engineered superdragonman is killing good dragons because moon magic and also the party go and help a dude in a giant dragon body/model and also there's bizarre PETA elves who give them bees to reattach a dragon's head to its body and also there's a tribe of nimrods who are queasily racist. I'm just saying if the solution to this adventure ends up being "Shoot the bad guy with a gun" I loving called it.

Well, Rick Swan did write the humor-focused Swan Song column in InQuest and then InQuest Gamer for years, so...
(he also wrote numerous D&D supplements)

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Night10194 posted:

This was demonstrated to me on Friday, when in my Myth side game (I like the Myth series and ended up doing a bunch of my own stuff with it using WHFRP) my players killed an extremely powerful ancient undead mage with a party of midway through second tier yokel mercs, in open combat. They were just trying to hold him off while their engineer planted charges to collapse a building on him, but he kept missing 90 and 70% defense rolls, they kept making saves against magic, and they rolled 5 furies over the course of the fight. His 70% WS, SB 7, TB 7, 35 Wounds, 5 Attacks, and 5 Mag did not save him from a pissed off peasant with a greatsword, a whaler, and getting dinged with a rock in the head.

Do you have more about this camoaogn written up anywhere else? I'm a huge fan of the Myth games, and would love to see what you did with it.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
What's up with Hedgecraft? The longest WHFRPG game I ever played had my poor hedge wizard staggering through horrible events next to two actual wizards, so I had always hoped those 2009 releases had given ye Olde folke Magick something interesting. I take it that's not the case?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
A planetary defense force unit unit conscripted into the proper Imperial Army and in way, way over their heads.

Ooo! Could it cover some Rogue Trader's house troops?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Rand Brittain posted:

I think the 2e devs really wanted people to get invested in Autochthonian culture and religion and not just decide that Step #1 was for them to ditch their covenant with the Great Maker forever, and having Autochthon munch on po souls rather than hun souls in his sleep was part of that. Ultimately I think it was a good idea to make that a priority, because "gently caress this" is a very natural reaction to a lot of what goes on.

Yeah, that's one of those situations that's going to make at least an energetic minority of players orient themselves towards "this needs to be fixed/this needs to be ended" in what may not be a particularly productive way if you want to do anything else with the setting. I think that 2e suffered for many details mechanical and historical that it brought forward from 1e, and I'm happy with how willing 3e has been to just change things that worked out poorly or no longer work smoothly with the game as a whole.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
My favorite one is the letter from the soldier at Hadrian's wall to his sister, because all of his fellow legionnaires are jealous of the socks she made him.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Stephenls posted:

"Hate" may be the wrong word.

"doesn't vibe with"

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Could you just share the changed mechanics for now?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I'd also like to see an Avatar cult!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Ars Magica is a really neat game, but every time I see the history of the Hermetics they really come off as enormous assholes. It's one of the things that's prevented me from running-....well...buying the game and never actually running the game for my group of tired adults.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Soulsbound made me consider the setting as a place beyond "Games Workshop IP Smashup (TM)" and made me interested in the game. Despite the obvious artificiality of the world from its unfortunate real-world inception, there's obviously been a lot of work done to make it a lived-in place usable for RPGs.

The Stormcast book just began to exhaust me. I actually like goofy sci-fantasy military orders (and I'm a huge fan of the FFG Deathwatch books and fluff), but the Stormcast book just felt like a maniacal march of superlatives. There are definitely some cool bits there (long dead ghosts recreated as Stormcast and still kinda nervous about their ultimate fates was really cool!), but I totally understand people coming out the other end soured on Stormcast and the AoS setting.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I really like The Nightmares Underneath, but its treatment of alignment bums me out a bit. I remember either the 1e book or a summary describing Evil as the provenance of people who set out to kill or destroy, even if they limit it to "worthy" targets or harness it towards good ends, but I feel like it becomes a bit too generically bad throughout the book.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Hey, I'll take a B+. I've gotten worse grades for better work.

How could you leave the lucrative world of tabletop RPGs behind?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Libertad! inspired me to pick up The Nightmares Underneath, and holy poo poo is this game rad.

It's generally dope as hell, which makes things like the random unacceptable lust curse really irritate, like sand in the socks.
I'd still run or play it in a heartbeat, though.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Ithle01 posted:

That's about it for this adventure. These deep dives are really taking me a long time to slap together so I think I'm about done with them and I'll stop crapping up this thread now that classes are starting again.

Thanks so reviewing this adventure. I got into Spelljammer when I was a young teenager after it was basically done, and while I saw a bunch of references to the Zhodani, we never had a copy of the original adventure. Which, given what it ends up being, might've been a blessing in disguise.

One minor note I wanted to point out is that Clerics aren't entirely boned in foreign spheres (or even the evil overlord's here). There are a few deities who can grant spells anywhere (P'Tah, the Celestines), but there's a 2nd level spell called Contact Home Power which basically lets a divine magic user dial home for the good stuff. In practice, this means that higher level clerics will mostly be down a 2nd level slot instead of all their level 3+ spells...but still draws into question what the net goal of the restriction was in the first place. (I've seen suggestions that it was to prevent PCs from trying to spread the worship of gods to the "wrong" spheres, specifically so you couldn't get Faerunian gods on Oerth or Krynn, but in practice I think it mostly goes to show that Spelljammer's engagement with the other campaign settings was more of a hindrance than a reason to use the setting like TSR wanted it to be.)

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

JcDent posted:

OH BOY I BET THEY'RE CRAZY ON THE TABLET-

:effort:

What does Savagery Incarnate do?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Dallbun posted:

Well, there's "The Dreams of Ruin," which was designed to challenge not just a high-level D&D party, but the high-level D&D party of the grognards I know whose characters in a "low-level" game still have dragon companions half the time and whose AD&D 2E house rules heavily feature material from the Arduin Grimoire.

The phrase that sticks in my mind from the book is "self-replicating clusters of 9th-level spells."

I really, really wish that Dreams of Ruin wasn't quite so closely tied to 1e AD&D/Labyrinth Lord. A lot of its material is free of particular attachment to particular edition of D&D (or any game, really) and then suddenly the exact capabilities of 15th level illusionist opponents become important.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Clearly, they're armed by the Derro in a continued attempt to wage their genocidal war upon the Other through screaming, unyielding proxies.
Clearly, their weapons are all scavenged from abandoned and forgotten svirfneblin outposts, the only equipment they could understand.
Clearly, they are merely a zealous and militant order from a prosperous but xenophobic gibberling culture that largely keeps itself secreted away from the outside world.
Clearly, it's an aboleth's very long running art installation.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
It's the occasional cool bits and hints of interesting ideas that stop me from just skipping over these posts. It's not worth sifting through poo poo to find pennies, but it's still amazing it's there.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Mors Rattus posted:

...Prehistoric?

Yeah, cro magnum man.

:ghost:

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Everyone posted:

Probably my favorite D&D "edition" was Masque of the Red Death. The Thief Skills were now part of an actual Skills system so that yeah, you could play a Fighter-type who could also maybe pick a lock. There weren't any Feats that I remember and the whole setting was in Ravenloft adjacent 1880s Gothic Earth.

Except that it didn't take off because there was like the Boxed Set, one other supplement and then nothing else. I do recall that two of the adventures in the Boxed set were geared toward PCs of various level. The mid-range (5th to 9th or so) one pit the PCs against Dracula, which is pretty cool.

Spells were also really jacked up. I remember playing the cleric equivalent (...mystic?) and I think the spells were moved over a time category for casting, so nothing was faster than one full round, and things that used to be big full round spells took minutes long to cast.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Everyone posted:

I think the idea was to get into more of a Gothic "ritual magic" feel. Also, guns were very much a thing and pretty much anyone could use one so even "wizards" could empty their six-shooters into enemies instead of being stuck with the fairly useless staff/dagger/dart weapons of normal D&D.

It worked pretty well, all told!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I really enjoyed seeing a pretty good Eclipse Phase Firewall adventure. It's one of those games where I like a lot about the setting that's outside the assumed core activity, but something like Think Before Asking makes me a lot more interested in actually trying Firewall stuff.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Night10194 posted:

They usually only have one because they're so rare you have one per ship, and even then you need a good excuse to have one. It's astropaths you have a choir of.

They've gone back and forth; there are books that make it out that any warp travel is impossible without one and every ship has at least one, to chaterist ships never having them and even Free Traders feeling lucky if they do.

Back when I ran Rogue Trader a lot, I usually assumed that each ship had at least two. One was the fully working, unable to be hosed with Navigator in their working prime (IE, the PC navigator if we had one), while the other was either an apprentice or semi-retired elder, capable of navigating back towards Port Wander/Wherever was the nearest safe harbor in an emergency but otherwise unable/unwilling to put in any real labor that wasn't bothering the PC Navigator with questions/complaining/cranky old demands that hid Nav house politicking.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

SkyeAuroline posted:

For all 3 people eagerly awaiting Red Markets writeups: I know I was just on hold for a move, but I'm going to be delayed again. Ongoing RSI has rapidly worsened (probably thanks to the move & having to do a lot of lifting) and I'm having a hard time with extended typing the past couple days. There's one big chunk left before I can do smaller parts for mechanics, but it's going to be bad for my nerves to try and bang out the entire section in one go like I've been doing so far. I'm not abandoning ship and the radio silence is hopefully short term. Thanks for the patience.

I've really been enjoying it, but please take care of yourself! Don't let the zombie gig economy claim another victim!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

mellonbread posted:

For now, that'll do it for Shotgun Scenarios. They're a great resource for people who want to run Delta Green. The big downside is that there are now so many, it's hard to find one that fits whatever parameters you're looking for. 1,500 words isn't a lot to read, but multiplied by hundreds and hundreds of entries, it's a lot! I might do a followup post later if I can think of more to wrap up.

Thanks for reading!

I really loved these write-ups. Thanks for sharing them.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Sigmar's two big plays are "punch chaos" and "try to organize and build," and I kind of like that AoS carries that forward, even when it doesn't work for the guy.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

JesterOfAmerica posted:

Do you have opinions on the Half-Burned Manual or the LotW 1.5 proposed fixes?

They came out with a 1.5.1 responding to people's responses to 1.5, FYI. Someday, perhaps, I'll actually try running the drat thing again.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

That Old Tree posted:

I'm pretty sure the LotW fanfix is on 1.5.2.

Half-Burnt Manual was a one-off though, I believe.

well I'll be jabberjacked

edit: this .pdf is not searchable and it is driving me insane

LaSquida fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 7, 2021

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

MonsterEnvy posted:

scathe just means injury.

They really shoulda kept the 'e'.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Fivemarks posted:

I want to like Flying Circus. I know it's good. I know for a fact that it's good, and it's my jam. But I have personal beef with open_sketchbook, which makes me feel second thoughts about it that I know are stupid. And the beef is stupid too, because it's literally over stupid poo poo.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that for all I'll make fun of Degenesis or Lamentations of the Flame Princess, or call Flying Circus great while grumbling about people who defend Zak S, I feel like a big baby coward for not making something of my own. Or, at least, not making something of my own that's good enough to even stand up to stuff like FATAL or any OSR Heartbreaker.

Who the gently caress are you claiming defended Zak S?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

PurpleXVI posted:

Plus canonically, if too many humans transcend, odds are that we'll start on our old multiversal war crime shenanigans again.

Like, I feel that it would make a hell of a lot more sense if the Illusion in Kult was less about simple imprisonment, and more about rehabilitation. Trapping humans as brief mortals for a while so they might learn some empathy for the creatures they treated as playthings before, and that humanity as a whole isn't gonna be let out of the box until we've grown as a civilization and maybe actually repaired some of the damage we've done.

I think that'd run directly into Kult's raison d'etre of being a horror game.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Winklebottom posted:

I thought they were (sort of) self-portraits? Look at this one-eyed guy with his one-eyed shield :unsmith:

I like the idea that both these things are true.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I just want to say I've been enjoying seeing the Spheres read-through and the example characters you've made. Despite my general disinterest in 5e, it's neat to see the more interesting character options and systems 3rd parties have made and adapted for it, and the Spheres of <Blank> stuff has always been pretty cool.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

mellonbread posted:

I'm thinking about doing a readthrough of Scenic Dunnsmouth. Of the original crop of Lamentations modules, it's the only one I've read that holds up from both a gameplay and thematic perspective. But I also don't want to drive sales to Lamentations. There was a Kickstarter by the author to release the module under his own imprint as a softback, but that's over now and he didn't do a digital version.

I assume if people read the review and want to check it out, they know how to get a copy of the book without giving the publisher money, then maybe buy something else directly from the author if they want to support his work?

I think that'd totally be worth it, just as long as you include the obvious proviso that hey, Raggi fuckin' sucks and don't give him money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

NutritiousSnack posted:

PtbA isn't good for action, it's good to great at emulating at genre, mood, and storytelling. Which okay is HALF of what makes Avatar work, but the cinematic fights of Avatar or (other) kung-fu or battle manga can't be replicated or really played that way. Kids in general are going to jump in expecting the system to emulate the later and it won't.
What games/engines are good for action, in your mind?