Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"kill puppies for satan: a Warhammer Fantasy/40k Chaos Sourcebook".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Night10194 posted:

The Minmax unit I plan to make after I finish the cooks has a tremendous power.

Every single Guardsman in it is a techpriest.

E: The innocuous sentences 'Every soldier in this Regiment counts as both an Enginseer and a Guardsman for purposes of advancement and prerequisites' and 'All have the Mechanicus Implants Talent' do so, so much work at making a Skitarii unit loving nuts.
Ah, the local union chapter of Dark Heresy Powergamer Protagonists has come to join the war.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Were I more energetically dumb person I'd make a hack of Red Markets where everyone automatically gets a lasgun-type weapon that you can always choose to default to while everything else does cool poo poo with drawbacks. Mostly because of how versatile the common handgun is in Red Markets with its upgrades making me think of the lasgun's reliability.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

There's a new Zweihander?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Huh, so it's like a pop rock Soth? Neat.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Should probably just use Reign to play Troika.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Tibalt posted:

Not that I necessarily disagree, but what do you think the One Roll Engine offers that make it particularly well-suited for Troika?
I like Reign and rolling a shitload of dice after you build your character around what the Troika random character option gives you makes the dopamine machine go.

Also the resolution mechanic of ORE would do wonders for emulating "the unpredictable nature of initiative and combat" that Troika tries to set up with its initiative system.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Even if by and large I've dropped off this project, F&F will always have a special place in my heart for helping me hone my writing voice and helping me actually learn how to dissect, critique and improve TTRPGS.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Diogenes Fluffernutter, himbo supreme and emotionally intelligent ditz.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 3, 2020

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

[chanting] RANDOM CHARTS, RANDOM CHARTS, RANDOM CHARTS, RANDOM CHARTS

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

:yikes:

Please tell me more of Mummy Game.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Orks.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Part of the issue is that a bunch of Hovecraft Povecraft Lovecraft's fans and correspondents took all of his disparate works and bound them together under one greater unified canon due to his repeated use of themes, names and visuals. In actuality they're pretty tonally disparate and trying to put them all under one roof creates something pretty incoherent that is ostensibly all in greater service of the big picture theme of Cosmic Horror, which makes it hard to find an answer when people rightfully question the created canon or how these things co-exist.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Oh no absolutely question it, letting marginalized people adapt the lens and ethos of Cosmic Horror helps create some great new works that shine a light on a genre pretty solidly dominated by cis het white dudes. The problem is just that the people who started this entire fanclub are still those cis het white dudes and a lot of their works are passed around and not questioned and when questioned the response is "don't question it, just listen to this specific interpretation" and the players/readers of the content really should work on elevating and listening to these alternate viewpoints.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

GimpInBlack posted:

Eldritch Skies was a Unisystem-based sci-fi game that started from the premise "what if the Cthulhu mythos was deeply alien and strange but not intrinsically horrific?" It's been ages since I've read it, and I have no idea how well it holds up, but I remember it being pretty much this. Humans and mi-go et al were all trying to have normalized diplomatic relations, but even before you get into mutually-exclusive political objectives it was drat hard because just getting a carbon-based ape biped and a flying mushroom-shrimp to even be able to think on similar terms was a huge challenge.
Yeah the thrust of Eldritch Skies is that Nyarly shows up in the dreams of a Black woman working on theoretical physics and rocket engines and is like "your coworkers are racist chumps, let's blow these fuckers out of the water" and coaches her on the basics of hypergeometry so she ends up building drives that move through hyperspace to shorten distances so mankind ends up making first forays into the stars in the 2030s. The game is more an emphasis on hopeful science fiction with a Lovecraftian backdrop and set dressing; Nyarly truly believes in the potential of mankind as a species so they've put us in a position where we can rise to become galactic citizens (or be destroyed in the process because either-or is what happens to species in our position) and while various other eldritch species are alien and unpleasant most can still be talked to and negotiated with. Also half of the truth of all things is recognized globally while geopolitics work on keeping certain truths at bay; being half Deep One and having the genes for a full transformation is considered a genetic condition that people can choose to have treated, certain hypergeometric practices and abilities are adapted into hyperspatial super-tech and it's known that there's a gigantic abandoned city beneath Antarctica, but summoning magic is withheld as is knowledge about the Yithians because of the panic that could cause.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Pretty much, yes.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

"stumpfuckin", oil on canvas, 14th-15th century

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

megane posted:

There are a lot of games with a great setting hobbled by terrible mechanics, but do you ever get the reverse? I can't think of any.
When we were talking about Dogs in the Vineyard this more or less came up. "The mechanics are really great but wow this setting".

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Also worth noting is that the Fulminaturge loses their magickal fuel if they ever shoot their gun. The gun is a totem of control, power and deterrence. Much in the same way Mutually-Assured Destruction had a bunch of people holding nukes to stop people from using nukes and keep the peace, the presence of the gun is meant to enforce the will of the wielder. Actually using your gun means that it has failed at its job as a totem and is now just a weapon rather than an icon. You're no longer someone who stands apart from the rabble and has a measure of power and control, now you're just some violent jerk with a gun.

Granted if it's gotten to the point where the Fulminaturge has had to shoot their gun, in for a penny in for a pound, keep shooting because you can't deplete what you no longer have fuel for.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

mellonbread posted:

The text in the quick start is as follows:
Is it possible that "lose your power if you fire your gun" is from the other school of Fulminaturgy? I don't have either of the corebooks at hand at the moment.
Ah, yeah, that's right, it's the other school. The Fulminaturge who views the gun as a fundamental tool of the enforcement of civilization has the taboo of "never shoot anyone", the one who views a gun as the key means by which one is able to push back against predatory overreach and assert individuality can't be disarmed or leave home without their gun. Both lose charges if someone else take their totem gun.

e: the "never actually shoot anyone" school is the better school by far for roleplaying, I agree.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

It's fantastic that way. Not every mechanic in the game is necessarily good, but it's one of the few games where I can pull any random rule and go "okay, so that's how it's reinforcing the core themes" and understand immediately why it's there.
:allears: Oh "No Budget, No Buy", the optional rule nobody ever wants to run with but everyone agrees is very thematically appropriate and solid for a horror game, you rascal you.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

One hop this time! One hop this time! FREEZE! Everybody clap your hands!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

The main thing I really like about the Red Markets setting is that it's this volatile transitory period between the old status quo and a weird new future and nobody has any real control or plans for how to approach the future. As a result you have things like nobody knowing how the Blight works, the medical slavery and harvesting camps, Latents with kill collars being forced to handle Casualties in DHQS settlements or when visiting/living in Enclaves, all of the various cults yelling at each other and everyone either trying to get rich and get out or get rich and stay safe. 'cuz one day this is going to just be a chapter in a history text book; someone's going to brought up on charges for crimes against humanity for the creation of Suppressin, ethics boards working with medical professionals are going to have concrete answers for healthy Latent lifestyles, people are going to treat Blight like the flu because someone figured something out. But right now it's the wild west and yeah these greater theological/philosophical questions are cool and worth considering but they're poo poo you talk about while manning the fence and popping Cs for ten hours a day because if you don't work you can't pay rent or eat in your little shantytown below a half-destroyed railroad trestle where the elites of your town live on The Tracks themselves. That poo poo is a luxury to figure out later.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Serf posted:

yeah i think this is an uncharitable reading of the material in question. the reason that palbicke gets 9 pages to himself is that gnat is his former employee and clearly thought a lot of him but it never gets into the hero worship you're talking about here. and there are even parts of this section where she dismissively talks about some of the shadier poo poo they did, like when she disclaims responsibility for exploiting contract workers because they followed the letter of the law. i can think of several sections in the book where gnat expresses admiration for groups like the police and the cia that reveal her true nature. and the second narrator, banhammer, is explicitly a fascist who works with the moths only out of convenience. gnat is not an unbiased observer here, but she is also not particularly left either. the whole setting section is about identifying the material causes of the collapse and then using that as a springboard to talk about why the blight hit as hard as it did, but gnat and the other characters depicted are still active participants in the carrion economy with no particular designs on building something better. the book has an anti-capitalist streak, but the conclusion it comes to is that the forces of capital are strong enough to adapt to the worst disaster in history without really losing too much in the process. its a bleak vision, for sure, but also a realistic one (leaving aside the magic zombies).
Yeah, also the fact is that the Moths are the Good Folks in the situation...but, well, Stokes is a Marxist and he's pretty academically read and up to date on, uh, the reality of good guys in a given situation. They're the good folks, directly compared to the DHQS and what's gone down since the Crash, but they're insurgents and incredibly biased because if they weren't bastards and were thoughts-and-prayers "let's sit at a table and discuss this" opposition, either the Casualties would've killed them all years ago or the DHQS would've. Not to excuse their behavior, just that there's a lot of bias at play because Gnat's explicitly writing this all to be her manifesto and her side of the story because the DHQS has spent years turning her into the next bin Ladin and there's generations of feral kids growing up to know her as the face of the Devil but not how to read or write.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Yeah it's in the archives but the math is...bad and the mechanics are loving unwieldy. It's one of my favorite weird dystopias because honestly I think it's better than the sum of its parts; Marshall Law is interesting for like the first issue but gets pretty samey and boring aside from having all of the art by the LXG guy and Alan Moore's Miracleman is its whole own beast but the superhero brain chambers function so much better when paired with Law's "all heroes are augmented super soldiers who've been discharged and hit the skids". That said man parts of it haven't aged great, mostly the mechanics, but a lot of the social commentary still loving stings.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Yeah it's legit great but when I say it's based on both Marshall Law and aspects of Moore's Miracleman, I mean it's shamelessly stealing large chunks of both and then adding aspects that make it the dumbest timeline. I ended up going back to them out of interest in Underground and it's actually kind of a clunky weld that makes something interesting and unique. The extra poo poo in Underground goes the extra mile in making it come together; their big book of guns and weapons is more than half epistolary setting information that takes the form of transcripts of Combat, Combat, Combat! (the reality TV show that's unedited footage of ongoing wars and skirmishes with boosted soldiers as TV personalities/improv actors), in-universe weapons catalogues, a rambling manifesto and the thoughts of a drummed-out soldier who has gone insane on account of the doctors loving up his implant surgery and instead of having chameleon skin he's permanently invisible.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

The time period it takes from bite to completely turning is erratically arbitrary; exposure from a Casualty takes ???? minutes/hours/days while exposure from a Vector takes seconds on average, cold strain vs. hot strain.

Hot strain infection:
Victim transforms in seconds into a Vector.
Vector runs itself to death exposing as many people as it can in a suicide burst before dying of damage or overexertion.
Strain goes from hot to cold in a dead host, the Blight dying and infesting the body with secondary nervous system made of cold Blight that allows it to puppet the body. This takes a few days on average.
Dead Vector gets up as a Casualty which carries cold Blight in its bites and exposures.

Cold strain infection:
Cold Blight gets into victim which goes from being an undead virus to a living and active virus again, causing infection symptoms in the victim as it turns hot again. This takes an unknown amount of time but doesn't take more than a few days, maximum.
Blight finally goes hot, victim turns into a Vector.
Vector goes berserk, cycle above continues.

It's both forms, which makes it really hard to crack down on the Blight. Vectors are easy to put down and their outbreaks are dangerous in the short-term, but long-term if they're not taken care of after they crash and die they become a landmine of infection that play the long game and can cause another outbreak eventually.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Nessus posted:

I may have missed this in an earlier section, but: Does the blight make the zombs unusually durable or long lasting?

You would also think that if firearms were going to be a major recipe for not being eaten by these critters, that the intermontane West would have come through it better. Utah if nothing else.
Blight is invariably toxic to all life. All life. Dogs bite Casualties, dogs die. Carrion birds pick at Casualties, birds die. Maggots? Parasites? Bacteria? All die. Once they've got enough Blight in them, they're paradoxically completely clean of anything that isn't Blight or original host matter despite being walking corpses. That and the Blight sinews literally hold the bodies together in the wake of erosion and natural damage; they lose limbs or collapse inwardly on themselves in the case of massive torso damage/spinal destruction but as long as the central cluster coordinating the sinews remains intact, it keeps going however it can when it's not in torpor.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

My favorite thing about the Bounty system is the fact that the government had to, like. Put a theoretical money value on John/Jane Doe's net worth as an American citizen for the purposes of asset-claiming. But, this is America a few years into a worse future than the one we're living in, so the metrics are profoundly skewed based on the norm; in a system where the majority of Americans are heavily in debt and barely breaking even with some billionaire whales dicking around in the recession, the government bases the worth of a single piece of Bounty to be roughly "an upper-middle class American that has a 401k, owns their own house, owns their own car, has no debt and makes like 100K a year minimum" due to how the median net worth shakes out thanks to wild inequality even though every piece of Bounty is more or less a lottery scratch-off in value. And thanks to this clueless move, this is why Takers do what they do and why Enclaves pass around Bounty. If you get enough, your dreams actually come true for once, no backsies, even if it is a permanent 9-5 grind six days a week in the recession. But if you're gonna dream, dream big and dream of Mr. JOLS.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Huh, I'm wrong. It's still free real estate.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I actually tied for first in 2018 and I'm still really surprised I did, neat to see past entries get dissected and discussed.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Part of me wants to write up a summary of the various factions of Delta Green enemies because you have a mixture of insufferable untouchable plot elements (Stephen Alzis), the interesting and kind of approachable (the Ghouls of Manhattan), the jerks you can hurt (Karotechia), the jerks you can't hurt (The Cult of Transcendence) and the really weird and kind of stupid (the narcocartel of heroin addicts who are immortal due to anal snakes, the ghouls of Louisiana who are trying to normalize vore culturally through porn).

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

My notes on Mairzy Doats: I really get tired of people banging the same stupid drum when it comes to Shub. Like, fundamentally she's Lovecraft's fear of folks of Color rolled into a big squamous vantablack mom and despite being repeatedly portrayed as a force of roiling fecund chaos you keep getting the same stuff over and over. They have goat eyes, they gently caress a lot, they're really sexy, sometimes they cut their genitals off, the trees are evil, etc. People keep mashing her together with Innsmouth's revelations about heritage and it doesn't ever really go anywhere new. Naturally Mairzy Doats was initially a Shub scenario where I immediately thought "well, no, gently caress that, that's too easy and too run-of-the-mill" because sometimes I like to be a hipster gently caress about my horror and also why not shitpost a little.

So the sheep are caused by poorly understood second-hand COOKBOOK recipes instead, which I think adds more to the scenario because you get the hubris of people fooling around with something they don't understand with the overarching existentialism of cosmic forces being replaced with absurdism. I like the focus on humans causing problems in the newest edition, because while there's big silly space problems, what you can effect is local or national to make yourself feel better before you inevitably end up way out of your element and that makes the greater horror hit harder. That's why the sheep are sheep. They never poo poo, they're constantly growing and they cause psychic revulsion/devotion but they're sheep. There's no overarching plan or end-game, it's just a failure of capitalism. It's really the inevitable PVP and gunfire that carries the scenario for a lot of people who like it, I think, because it's a flexible little sandbox for mayhem and the agents inevitably loving up and having to draw guns. I also said that people with Helplessness are more resistant to their influence because I feel like, as opposed to being hardened to Violence, you really don't see a lot of perks to being hardened to Helplessness besides not losing SAN to it.

If I could change anything about it, it's the Sanity rules for being around the sheep and being drawn into picking a side because I 100% pulled them out of my rear end and they're completely untested. All in all to date I'm still surprised I tied for first, and I'm glad it made some folks smile enough to pick something off the beaten path. Also yes the pro-Skub/anti-Skub comic was an inspiration.

Out of the other scenarios, I ran a variant on Payton's BESTOW and I ran STOP REPO as-is in order to get some friends who'd never played anything but 5e to try out a different system. The summary of STOP REPO's over in the catpiss thread but it's a very solid introductory scenario to the system and helps get players a feel for the tone of the game without just throwing monsters at them. Everything I gave them in the trunks of the car was there to enable them to make bad decisions to the extent that the Cowboy cell barely made any screen time on account of the players making awful decision and getting into a highway chase with the police/each other.

BESTOW's great because A: I'm a fan of the podcast and loved both iterations of it (the playtest of it and the initial version of it in their Armitage Files campaign run by another player) and B: because it's a pretty fair puzzle. You're letting the players run around and get frustrated in a pretty safe way and giving them some weird poo poo that's not gonna kill them but it's gonna leave a lasting impression.

If you want to go through the list again for what you think are the gems, go for it, I think that'd be more interesting.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 25, 2020

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I mean clearly the problem was the Shan put all their eggs in one blind idiot god-shaped basket and didn't diversify their various forms of technology and energy. Mankind will never make that mistake!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

It is so much faster than CoC and runs so much smoother, it really is a boon how accessible they made it for new players.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Remember kids: if you can get the big fun stuff, either it's not gonna work or you're gonna pay a terrible price one way or another.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

The short version is that our neurochemistry and thought processes interests them way more and we're a temporary blip in the span of cosmic existence. They can just loot our planet whenever once we die, but they have no idea when we'll all die, and hoarding our brains is more immediate and pressing as a result. We're accidentally finding a rare isotope with a half life of days inside of a copper mine.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Night10194 posted:

They could also buy the brains! Plenty would sell. Many brains for powerful space lobsters.
They do, that's what the Compact is for. Well, specifically, they're trading worthless poo poo they have for the ability to just hunt with impunity like the space colonizers they are.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

The main flaw of a system that the Profit System has is the defaulting rules or initial lack thereof and this is something he's known for years ever since the first alpha tests. It wasn't built to have defaulting, and I get the arguments on both sides, but the one thing I do like about it is that, like. It does encourage some character growth as a whole. Initial character generation encourages building specialists who are very good at particular things because that's going to be real expensive down the line, but what's less expensive is putting a +1 in a skill that was a weak spot and got your rear end kicked last time around, or just doing that for a few skills that feel like they may be niche and never coming up, but that way when they do you at least have a +1. When it flows like that it really does feel like your character is learning from their experiences and growing a bit more along the way while still having a wheelhouse but having the ability to shore up situations in a pinch, and I really like that feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Nessus posted:

Reminds me of a short story I read which was about the alien invasion and reduction/extermination of the defiant humans which was going pretty badly for old Homo sapiens until some guy sort of just materialized on the fleetlord's bridge. Long story short, it was Dracula.

Aliens meeting humanity under the leadership of Dracula or Draculas would probably assume that's the apex form of humans, wouldn't they?
I'm pretty sure that story is by Kim Newman.