Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

I wish I had been here for your Floria review but I'm glad I made it in time for Summon Skate! It was incredible working on these games and interacting with their creators.

I don't have a ton to add at the moment unless you/someone has specific questions about the translation process or the original Japanese versions but I will add in something about Yasuda Lin, creator of Summon Skate. The guy is awesome and deserves more love and attention from the world at large. Dude has made it his life goal to develop games for a variety of uses such as for education and for involving neurodiverse players. His philosophy is to do whatever he can to bring everyone to the table, and Japan isn't exactly known for always focusing on inclusiveness so he really stands out from the crowd. In between developing new indie games he actually goes around and gives speeches at universities in Japan about using games as a teaching and development tool.

He's the nicest darn guy I've ever worked with and we're still good buddies today. I always swing by his booth at the biannual Japanese VR indie game expos and chat.

Aside from Summon Skate he has also designed a TRPG aimed at helping folks on the autistic spectrum get into TRPG gaming, UREG the Unrealistic Escape Game, a game about escaping from escape rooms that couldn't exist in reality, and his latest game is Zombie Line, a zombie base-defense TRPG with worker placement mechanics.

Feel free to poke me with any questions or comments about Floria or Summon Skate, and I hope we'll be able to talk about our next TRPG release: Sparkle Stars, the Magical Girl/Tokusatsu TRPG, soon!

Edit: I'll add some background, actually. Floria and Summon Skate were my 1 and 2 picks for what I wanted to localize when I started Silver Vine Publishing. Floria was actually the very first indie Japanese TRPG that caught my eye but, after playing Summon Skate with the creator at a indie TRPG test play fair in Japan, I decided it was just so colorful and unique it had to be our flagship title. It was an absolute nightmare to publish due to being full color and our initial Kickstarter for it flopped due to me not knowing how to set realistic goals, but in the end it was such a great project to work on and I'm really glad I made it our first project.

Also, you can't talk about Summon Skate without posting the commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjBTXFHBnwM

That's yours truly attempting to do my best '90s kids toy commercial voice'. Feel free to laugh.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Leraika posted:

Any info on Ryutubers? I wonder if it'd be a good gateway tool to get a certain number of my friends into tabletop gaming.

Current schedule is Dupli (card game) - Sparkle Stars (TRPG) - Super Secret Un-Announced Other Thing (???) - Ryutubers.

Unfortunately every project is so wildly different in how much time it takes us I can't make any projections about actual time, but there's a few things coming out before it.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Asterite34 posted:

Part 5: the X/1999 Games, Sponsored by Red Bull

I will add that the game explicitly tells you to summon healing Figures and then leave them in reserve to basically save you for game overs. It tells you to hold them back until an attack would shatter the stage or kill one of your comrades. The balance is so rocket tag that the game has a bunch of ways to save yourselves at the last minute.

It's also hard to convey exactly how co-op strategic these battles are. I think the closest experience I've had is playing Pandemic, where if you're not all working together and thinking 4-5 moves ahead and considering the worst case scenarios you have no hope of winning. Things like the Emblems really throw a wrench in things because you have to consider if your priority should be trying to take out boss body parts to limit its attacks (each attack is tied to a body part so you actually seal the boss's moves as you destroy its bits), sealing away the Emblem which is causing you all kinds of headache, or trying to patch up the rapidly-crumbling stage. It's hectic and tense and really loving fun.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Asterite34 posted:

Part 6: Hey, look, it's some kids on the ice! What's a GM to do when there's kids on the ice? Quick! Somebody call their MOOOOOOOM!

I'll talk about it more in a later part, but holy poo poo all the monster artwork in this book whips rear end.

In celebration of the success of the English version Yasuda actually did some more awesome art for a bunch of the gacha Figures. We're planning to compile them and upload them as a free add-on to the DriveThruRPG PDF pack for the game as soon as we have our hands free from the project we're stuck on right now. His monster art is far and away one of the best things about the book and one of the main reasons I would encourage people to buy the physical version. Seeing these printed in high-quality color from DriveThru is an experience.

I think one of my favorite things to translate in this whole book were the little poetic descriptions of the monsters. Yasuda's writing is extremely straightforward and unadorned through the rest of the book, so this was the one place where he got to wax artistic and I got to actually flex some translating muscles. I don't know if I pulled them all off but either way they were definitely the most fun to translate.

On the opposite end the part of the translation that made me tear my hair out a little were the pages with the main Figures. Yasuda did some deep dives into old mythology to dig up symbols and runes and stuff representing the different Figures, so I spent a lot of time researching what the proper translation for the rune names and Figure names were. But it was also fascinating because I got to learn a lot of interesting lore. Yasuda really knows his stuff. There's one attack on one of the monsters that is a reference to a specific line in one of Lovecraft's not-as-famous stories. That kind of thing just put a grin on my face as I translated it.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

t3isukone posted:

The monster designs in Summon Skate are honestly just gorgeous. Hastur is straight up breathtaking.

I'm pretty sure Yasuda paints using the color out of space.
But yeah again even just as an artbook the hardcover HQ color version is a great buy.