Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Guns were ridiculously expensive considering a longbow would generally outdo them. An actual brace of pistols (which was one of the good ways to use a gun) cost more than plate.

RPG Fantasy guns always seem ridiculously over-costed. Early arquebuses were quite cheap, and the more complicated wheelocks and flintlocks still weren't that pricey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Of course, any time they take that damage it triggers fury chances. Still, it's possible to begin with a dorf who just kinda walks through normal attacks mocking the people who thought they could hurt him.

Totally saw that go down. A game back in the day, we had a tough and heavy armoured Dwarf Pc who got ahead of the party and he solo'ed at least a dozen goblins and their chief. Just waded though them.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Jerik posted:

Also, there's a thing about how Beasts have to balance their level of Satiety, which for some reason the writer mistakenly thinks is pronounced "SAY-shi-tee", but mostly that just gets weird because the optimal strategy is to ping-pong as quickly as possible between starving and gorged, which is especially unfortunate because becoming gorged usually requires the Beast to do something especially nasty.

This may be one of those 'varies by country' things because I'd say it that way too. :britain:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

One of the afore-mentioned tie-ins Buck Rogers: Battle for the 25th Century Game is legitimately good. We played the hell out of it back in the day.

It's basically RISK, but with some interesting wrinkles. There's multiple unit types. Continents are replaced by planets, and they move at different rates around the solar system track. So planets come in and out of alignment, constantly shaking up who's adjacent to who and how far you have to go to reach your target. Plus you can do some cool stuff like sling-shotting for extra movement points, with a slight associated risk of misjudging the maneuver and ramming the planet you're attempting to accelerate yourself with.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

wiegieman posted:

What an absolute waste of a human life, to spend it all homebrewing dnd 1e.

I know right. 40 years of other RPG's, other genres, all the new and interesting (plus all the terrible) stuff that's come out.

It's all passed him by. It's genuinely a little sad.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Like, Zeb Cook wanted to replace THAC0 with ascending to-hit and AC, but they were afraid it would make Baby cry. Reading the AD&D2e Player's Handbook depresses and angers me in equal measure.

Bieeanshee posted:

I remember seeing ascending AC in a Gamma World book (4th edition?) and wondering why the gently caress they hadn't thought of doing that before.

I vividly remember my first reading through the 3rdED PHB and having that exact same reaction. Along with replacing 'Save vs Rods/Petrificaiton and Aardvarks or whatever' with dedicated stat based saves.

There is really no excuse for not having revised those by the time 2nd Ed came round.

I LOL whenever I see some OSR retro-clone and they've insisted on still using THAC0.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I quite enjoyed the Shadowrun 20A game I ran.

Tbf I just had my players pick an archetype from the book to play, abstracted Matrix stuff to "tell the off-screen NPC you hired what you want to happen" then make a roll, and generally noped out about a third of the rules. So it wasn't exactly rules as written.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So Physical Adepts have no way of duplicating high-end Wired Reflexes and getting bonus major actions then?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Incidentally, I mention it here because pretty much everyone in traditional games hangs out in this thread.

For Glorantha-philes. Six Ages. The semi-sequel to the legendary King of Dragon Pass finally got it's Steam release today.

Edit: Corrected title thanks wiegieman

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 17, 2019

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Night10194 posted:

I'm always a little leery of a direct PC superior officer after reading horror stories on FFG's old forums about what people did with the PC Commissar class in Only War ("What do you mean it's bad play to shoot my teammates for not doing what I said? It's fluff accurate!") but it would probably work out fine for most reasonable groups.

Do any of these stories end with the rest of the PC's deciding to frag the commisar? Also fluff accurate.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

What is the Dragonlance Druid situation anyway.

Do they count as divine casters and were powerless while the gods were withdrawn?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It's dumber than that.

He got addicted to benzoes.

He wanted to do a 'treatment' where you're put in a medical coma for a week or so while you detox.

No western hospital would do this because it's not actually that effective and inducing a coma like that is dangerous.

So he went to a dodgy no rules Russian clinic and, who could have guessed it, they hosed it up and gave him brain damage.

Also but unrelated: Yay! More Warhams stories.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So inspired by the writeups i'm going to run some of the more interesting plundered vaults stuff while I'm waiting on the rerelease of Death on the Reik.

Reading it and having run a lot of 4th editon recently I notice they really rebalanced the economy between editions,

Full plate costs 400 Gold Crowns, a pistol 100GC and a basic handweapon 10GC 2nd edition

Full plate costs 30GC, a pistol 8GC and a handweapon 1GC in 4th edition.

Eyeballing it, I think dividing quest rewards value of treasure by somwhere between 5 (the lower scores) to 10 (where you get massive reward) should do it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I actually quite like the (optional) 4E idea as well that between adventure arcs, after buying equipment/upgrades etc the party are assumed to blow all their cash on having a good time and begin the next adventure penniless again. Especially as I am definitely a "I can't be bothered to track this poo poo" DM when it comes to the party's day to day living expenses.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Libertad! posted:

What OSR book should I review next?

Magical Industrial Revolution: A high-magic Dickensian fantasy city where arcane magic has been repurposed to feed the engines of capitalism, and supernatural innovations bring great prosperity and misery in equal measure.

I vote for this one, it's got some really inventive ideas in it.

Edit: Also the guy who wrote it (and also Veinscrawl) has one of those blogs which are technically RPG related, but also everything else he's interested in and he's interested in a lot. Which is well worth a browse.

https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/search/label/feudalism

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 14, 2020

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Libertad! posted:

Coins & Scrolls is one of my more recently-discovered blogs. And in part helped bring Magical Industrial Revolution to my attention.

I'd rather not say any more in case of biasing my own polls, but I am a fan.

If you like Coins & Scrolls check out False Machine as well.

http://falsemachine.blogspot.com/

Edit: Actually we should create a thread for good RPG and other blogs of interest. I for one am doing a lot more browsing the internet at the moment for extremely obvious reasons. I don't think there's a thread for that at the moment?

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 15, 2020

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Archaon remains one of the least interesting characters...though I appreciate the latest Age of Sigmar event has him decide to give Slaanesh the universe's worst case of blue balls.

See, Slaanesh has been locked up in a pocket dimension for literal millenia thanks to the elf gods. Wrath of the Everchosen begins with Archaon receiving a vision that guides him and most loyal soldiers, the Varanguard, to said pocket dimension. Archaon fights his way through the elf defenders and is literally moments from smashing the chains that hold Slaanesh bound. Slaanesh is crowing, promising Archaon everything he could ever desire, totally jazzed to get free.

At which point Nagash decides to invade the Eightpoints, which sends a telepathic phone call to Archaon telling him that ghosts have set all his poo poo on fire and he needs to get home.

And Archaon literally just stops what he's doing, turns around and leaves. The text explicitly notes that this is the only chance he's going to get for another thousand plus years at least, because Tyrion and Teclis will move Slaanesh's prison the moment they can.

e: the event basically ends with Archaon arriving back home in time to keep Nagash from conquering the Eightpoints, but not in time to keep Nagash from taking over the Shyish gateway and setting up a fortress there.

YMMV but that sounds like awful story-telling to me. Real old skool GW "We're going to shake things up.....and oh look a damp squib". It doesn't even make sense internally. "My homebase is under attack. Shall I immediately abandon what I'm doing and got home. Or spend 30 extra seconds freeing the God-like being that is going to massively power me up to deal with the situation"

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Andy Chambers swears the Thatcher/Thraka thing isn't true.

According him the name comes from a LARP that he was part of back in the day where they'd made up some Ork language based on Tolkeins 'Black Speech'. In that language his name meant 'Metal head big ork leader' and the similar sounding name to Thatcher is pure coincidence.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

If I ever run a Deathwatch game again I'm just going to use the BASH rpg.

You're basically playing superheroes anyway, it would be trivially easy to reskin deathwatch characters as them.

Also, which was the scenario with the old and bored Dreadnought. Sounds fun, I might track it down.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The fluff as of the Ultramarines supplement was he got injured by the Swarmlord during the battle for Macragge but it's not specific about the extent of his injuries, but he gets evacced and commands the fight in space.

Meanwhile the entire 1st company gets wiped out in the polar battle in a seperate engagement as per existing fluff.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

Either way, you should probably have your party depart the ruins with the mirror fragment, having witnessed Vamargic and learned the Hombadaka Boko. The Ruins shouldn’t be fully explored on the first visit, especially if Vamargic is still alive. Though the book doesn’t have a writeup for it, the promise of finding things like Korol Kandoros’ tomb on a future visit should be more than enough reason for the adventurers to return despite the danger.

I'm always extremely wary of "Well obviously the players will see this fight is too much for them right now" expectations. I mean I think almost all DM's including myself could immediately respond with "Have you met my players?".

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I love Glorantha as a setting but I've always thought the various editions of Runequest have had a real problem with the disconnect between the quasi-mythic, bronze age-ish champions it's pitching, and the reality of it being incredibly deadly.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Which is inexplicably, somehow getting a sequel.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/w/david-weber/into-the-light.htm

Everyone posted:

I have a vague memory of one of the Rod Serling's Night Gallery episodes that dealt with something like this. Basically a unit of Nazis takes over some lord's castle and learns it's full of werewolves or vampires or something. Things go poorly for the Nazis after that.

That's also the plot of The Keep

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

wiegieman posted:

You know, David Weber is living the life he wants to and I just have to be OK with that.

Remember the almost universal rule for any 'collaboration' of BIG NAME & new guy is BIG NAME comes up with an outline and new guy actually writes at least 90% of it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So I was curious how you depicted 'body of light in armour guy' on the tabletop.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Lumineth-Realm-lords-The-Light-of-Eltharion-2020

Bit different from the picture above (for obvious reasons with a physical model) but I gotta say, it's not bad.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Some interesting takes.

https://imgur.com/t/paintingwarhammer/TxAVpcx?nc=1

https://www.reddit.com/r/ageofsigmar/comments/j50o59/my_led_lit_light_of_eltharion/

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

unfortunately the missile spreadsheet guy has got the covid

Oh dear, he's a big guy and I'm pretty sure I'd heard he already had some health issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Re:Troika and related Fighting Fantasy chat. Arion just released a remix of the classic Citadel of Chaos adapted for Advanced FF. My favourite FF adventure as a child (Mostly because you could play as a wizard and got to use magic).

It looks pretty fun. I ran The Warlock of Firetop Mountain and Crown of Kings for my group in lockdown, and they were very well received. Of course we're old enought ot have hella nolstagia for the originals so YMMV.