Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Are people ever not mad about Purple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
To be fair, the Dwarfiest Elf to ever Dwarf was Feanor... and he was a gruff rear end in a top hat.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Night10194 posted:

Didn't he cause immense problems? I've never read the Simarillion but his name sounds familiar.

Yes but that's besides the point of Feanor being elven doomguy.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Jerik posted:

I'd love to—and I have all the Ravenloft modules—but I want to finish up what I'm in the middle of, though, like I mentioned before, I may have made a poor choice for the subject of my first review (Deities & Demigods 1E) based on the amount of research required. Like I said, I have a good deal of affection for Ravenloft... but yeah, there's some pretty ridiculous stuff there that would make for entertaining reviews. My reviewing Deities & Demigods was mainly intended to lead into a reviews of Planescape materials... but I did kind of want to review Ravenloft, too, and maybe once I finally finish my Deities & Demigods review I can do some Ravenloft reviews as well. (Though of course if anyone else wants to beat me to the punch and start reviewing Ravenloft adventures, they're welcome to do so.)

I'll leave you with one of my favorite terrible excerpts from a Ravenloft adventure. Just imagine any DM actually trying to follow this advice; there's no possible way this could end up being anything but risible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FybA0SaL0nI

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I wrote an RPG. I wrote a Giant Robot focused RPG, specifically, to capture the feeling and aesthetic of 80's real robot anime an more modern video games like Gundam, Layzner, Dunbine, Dragonar, Zone of the Enders, and Armored Core. I wrote this RPG because I was unsatisfied with Lancer, which is only a big thing because of its art, but also because as a veteran of certain systems I can tell you that Silhouette and Mekton are 100% bullshit.

I'm currently formatting a .pdf of the core (Player) version of the rules, with a quick add-on for the Referee's Guide covering things like running combat, handling enemies and NPCs, and rewarding experience to players. Then I'm going to hand that to PurpleXVI to tear the gently caress apart here, because he's one of the few people I trust to not just go "Just use Lancer."

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

CitizenKeen posted:

There are strong mechanical reasons to like Lancer, not just the art. If you're unsatisfied with it, that's totally cool. But negging on Lancer isn't a good way to announce you've got a game.

You misunderstand. I like Lancer, I'm just unsatisfied with aspects of it, such as the amount of influence your pilot has on things, especially combat- It's art isn't the only reason why people like it, but its undeniable that a lot of what got people to look at it from the start was it being attached to the artist of Kill Six Billion Demons. It is definitely far better than Mekton or Silcore or Adeptus Evangelion or Battle Century G.

Additionally, I'm simply tired of people telling me "Just use Lancer, don't work on your own thing" over and over again. Its... annoying, and has turned me off of Lancer.

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 7, 2020

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I mean, this is a thing an evil god is doing, so of course its loving terrible. Also, knowing my greek myth, there's a 50/50 chance you get to stomp up to her and kick some godly rear end.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Nessus posted:

Chirico, I'm familiar with Amuro.

Chirico's luck is better and 'worse' than Teela Brown's. Yes, he won't die and his luck leads to him doing a bunch of bullshit, like killing an experimental next-gen Armored Trooper with a ricochet from his pistol.

It doesn't mean that bad stuff won't happen to him, though. It just means it won't kill him. Being Chirico Cuvie is suffering.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Nessus posted:

Right, like, my thing is that I would like a toolkit that would let you run a game of something approximately analogous to UC Gundam or a Macross series - character is important but so are the machines and the nature of the doubletalk special sauce, whatever it may be. Instead it seems like it's either systems that lean hard one way or the other. I gather Mechwarrior, the RPG, was actually pretty good at this in that there were both the places where your character could plug into a Battletech minis game, or do independent adventuring. I've heard mixed things about Battle Century G (is that right?)

I'm not a big fan of Battle Century G- Its devs, who I know, are basically on the level of Kevin S. and John Wick (of L5R) when it comes to dealing with disagreements and creative criticism.

On the other hand, the game system I'm working on does try to put an equal emphasis on player's machine and a player's character.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

VOTOMs goes a long way, but apparently past the second arc or so, which I admit is where I stopped watching, Chirico turns out to have magic powers or some such poo poo? Going entirely by word of mouth here, mind you, but yes, VOTOMs is probably the realest robotest show I can name and those two first arcs are loving great.

After the Kunmen arc, it becomes Dune. No, i'm not even kidding about this. However, Kunmen is a pretty goddamned strong arc. If you want more like the first two arcs of VOTOMS, go watch Fang of the Sun Dougram, from the same creator. The first 50 episodes are on Youtube, and I can get you the last 25.

PurpleXVI posted:

so if like, Iron Blooded Children or whatever it's called is a huge step up in quality from [checks] Gundam SEED, ha ha, what wouldn't be, then that's cool and good.

This checks out, though a large portion of the western fanbase got buttmad over it ending with the main character's in their gundams being overwhelmed and taken out by mass orbital artillery fire. Also it had Vidar, and IN THIS HOUSE WE STAN VIDAR.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I feel like Vidar only put up with Failiok because killing him wouldn't let him get revenge. But at the same time, Vidar probably wouldn't expressly go out of his way to save Iok if it didn't serve the purpose of revenge.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Joe Slowboat posted:

Still means putting up with the guy who used the apocalypse-era superweapon on unarmed civilian transports, and the boss who continued to promote said guy because it turns out said superweapon was extremely useful for killing dissidents.

Vidar is sympathetic but everyone on that side of the conflict is beyond irredeemable. That's sort of the point.

That said, It's still a better Gundam series than AGE. Iok's a failson and we're supposed to hate him; Lord Ezelcant is a genocidal crazyman and we're supposed to see him as enlightened.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Nessus posted:

In this case do you mean that these guys are standard-issue internet weirdos or are they in some kind of culture-war over robot jock cartoon RPGs?

e: I guess to clarify, "this show/style of shows sucks" vs. "feminism is ruining Gundam"

I guess I would say "Standard Issue internet Weirdoes." This is a reference that only PurpleXVI would get, but think of them as like SweetSoulsBro but with robots instead of guns, and also being kind of arrogant grognards who once gave everything in their game's movement system a max speed of "1" while making ranged weapons able to shoot longer than that while also allowing characters to move and shoot simultaneously, and didn't understand why that wasn't good.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
That's the rub though. You can either make both the pilot and the mech important, or you can make the pilot not important at all and only have the mech have stats. I don't like only the mech having Stats.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Now I doubly want to make an RPG to do better than Zak Smith, purely so I can have a voice at GenCon to publicly state that Zak Smith is a Rapist, Abuser, and poo poo his pants at GenCon in 2017.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I am going to do a "review' of Frog God Games' Book of Lost Spells. Because it gets silly. Silly in a very, very good way.

A running theme of these spells is "Necromancers are dicks and you shouldn't let any players be a Necromancer."

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I think you're supposed to have the players use the Colossus to have a GIANT ROBOT FIGHT with Kentimane.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

poo poo, I need to hurry up and finish my Albion LP so I can get in on this after I do Lancer and get sued by Fivemarks for sassing his homebrew.

Jokes on you rear end in a top hat, I'm too poor to sue anyone!

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

By popular demand posted:

What sort of brain damage makes write this gatekeeping dreck rather than just put down a character point allotment for Average, Heroic and Supernatural characters?
It would take less time than coming up with inconsistent arguments against fun and the customers will do it anyway.

The same kind of brain damage that thinks working with Zak S, or that using real life anti-LGBT pogroms in Georgia as a plot point are good ideas.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Okay now that it's done, The name Shana Applebottom just reminds me of Barkley: Shut up and Jam: Gaiden.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Bieeanshee posted:

I have similar opinions about Call of Cthulhu, but I'm told that chargen is very quick when you're familiar with it... which really doesn't help much when you're not.

Any system with TWOOO LEEEEEEGGGS is, by definition, not a good system.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Night10194 posted:

But then Dark Heresy just isn't a particularly well designed game.

Could be worse. Could be Adeptus Evangelion.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Skaven being just right when well written kinda makes me sad they aren't in 40k. But at the same time, makes me happy because 40k would find a way to ruin them.

... Admittedly, the idea of replacing the Tau with SPACE SKAVEN is hilarious.

Edit: Especially if SPACE SKAVEN have a very "Metroid Prime Space Pirate" idea of problem solving and experimentation, what with all the logs in Metroid Prime that boil down to "gently caress it just douse it in Phazon and see what happens!"

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 11, 2020

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

MonsterEnvy posted:

Funny enough the Skaven are taking after those two to combat them in the lore.

They are also the ones that exposed the Idoneth to the world after accidently draining a sea by opening a portal tunnel under it. (And flooding Blight City in the process.)

The Skaven are just the best at being the worst.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

Skallagrim is alright AFAIK. (please tell me if he isn't)

From what I can tell: ThegnThrand and Skallagrim are good. Shadiversity, however, is very ungood.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
What i'm learning from Fatal and Friends, as well as previous experience with Lamentations and anything touched by Zak S, is that OSR is bullshit and is bad.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I'll be honest, I've given up on playing or running or making tabletop RPGs, and I keep reading Fatal & Friends in the hope that my love of it will return.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I've been on a Fantasy Craft kick lately, so I was going to do a few posts in here genning up character concepts in the system to show it off. If you've got any concepts you'd want me to try to make, go right ahead and post 'em.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
So, Fantasy Craft. I'm not sure that this is going to be a full deep dive into Fantasy Craft itself, though that would probably be a very good thing- instead, this is going to be a probable ongoing thing where people throw a concept at me, I see if it's workable or not in Fantasy Craft, and then try to make it if it is. Not too hard, but still a good way of showing off the flexibility and wide range of characters you can make in the system, which some people have called "3.x and Pathfinder done right." To be honest, I'd agree with them on that, though with the ongoing non-release of Spellbound, its in the ironic position of spellcasters not being as supported as everyone else; a fair difference from Spellcaster Edition and Spellcaster Edition with more chudness.

With all of that said, I'm going to get started with the first installment of "Five's FantasyCraft Funtimes on FATAL and Friends." Our first character is going to be something I particularly had fun playing in one session before the DM said that casters were too weak and tried to switch us to Pathfinder: A Half Orc Samurai, eager to prove themself to anyone who doubts him. That concept gives us a few things to start with making our character. They are a half orc, which means we'll need to make them a half orc. They're a samurai, which means they'll need to be able to do certain things: Fight with sword and spear, use a bow, ride a horse, and do noble and/or aristocratic stuff. Fortunately, these are all fairly easy to do.

Step 1) Attributes

With our concept set, we move on to choosing our character's attributes. There are six Attributes in FantasyCraft: Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma. Each Attribute does a thing, and Craft appears to have tried to avoid making Dexterity the godstat for martials and Intelligence the actual godstat for everything else.

Rather than roll for Attributes, Fantasycraft has all Attributes purchased by way of a 36 point pointbuy system- the lowest you can buy, 8, costs 0 while the highest you can buy, 18, costs 22 points. To me, 36 points splits the difference between feeling too powerful and starting out weak.

Spending all of our points, I went with a spread of 14, 14, 14, 12, 10, 10 before assigning them to Attributes. Now, for our Samurai, we'll need a fairly balanced array of stats: Strength for fighting in melee, Dexterity for avoiding attacks and firing a bow, Constitution for being tough, and Charisma for handling court and social situations. With Strength, Dex, and Charisma being the most important, they'll get the highest attributes, followed by Con, followed by the remainder going to Int and Wis. This gives us the following Attributes:

14 Strength
14 Dexterity
12 Constitution
10 Intelligence
10 Wisdom
14 Charisma.

Now with our attributes chosen, we move on to Step 2.

Step 2) Origin

Origin is a catchall term, this is the stage at which we choose our character's Origin Skills, Species and Speciality, and a talent if our character is human.

Origin Skills are two skills that we choose at our Origin that are always going to be Class Skills for this character. For this character, I'll pick Search and Sense Motive. Search, because one can never be too on guard for assassins, and Sense Motive because it helps to be able to read people.

Because our concept calls for us playing a Half Orc, we'll have to look at the available Species.

• Drake: Drakes are playable Dragons, balanced to not make them the center of attention. Drakes have +2 Strength or Intelligence, but -2 Dexterity. They gain a number of benefits: They count as a Large Beast, have Fire Breath, are Cold-Blooded, have Inquisitive Mind, gain Natural Attacks in the form of Bite and Claw, but the disposition of non-drakes are reduced by 10 in exchange for them having Winged Flight with a Speed of 40ft.
  • Dwarf: Dwarves are Dwarves, they're short stout people. Dwarves are Medium Bipeds, get a +4 to Constitution by a -2 to Dexterity, but have a base speed of 20 ft. Their benefits are Darkvision I, Enlightened Crafting, Improved Stability, Iron Gut, they're untrained for making Kick and Jump and Swim checks, but always have at the very least Damage Reduction 2.
  • Elf: Elves are just Elves, and unlike in AD&D, they're not the Master Race. Elves are Medium Bipeds with +4 Wisdom and -2 Constitution, along with a base speed of 40ft. Elves have Aloof, Burden of Ages, Keen Sight, Natural Elegance, and Sharp Hearing.
  • Giant: BECOME UNSTOPPABLE. No, seriously, Giants are big beefy bois(or gals). They're Large Bipeds, have a base speed of 50 Ft. They have Proficiency with Hurled Weapons, Improved Stability, Trample I as a natural attack, and Keen weapons are less effective against them.
  • Goblins: Goblins are said to be crude, rambunctions creatures notorious for curiosity and mischief. They're small biped folk, have +2 Strength and -2 Charisma, and a base speed of 20 ft. Their base Defense is increased by 1, they have the first Ambush feat, Darkvision I, Light Sensitive, and gain additional vitality with each level up.
  • Humans: Humans are, as usual, the 'bog standard' fantasy race. However, in FantasyCraft, this is represented by them having access to a number of special Talents, which give them more flexibility.
  • Ogres: Ogres are giant, nuclear powered tan- no wrong game. Ogres are "Brutish, lumbering humanoids who inspire equal measures of terror and revulsion." No, I am not making Shrek. Ogres are Large bipeds, with +2 Strength and +4 Constitution, -22 Intelligence and Charisma, and a speed of 30 ft. They've got Enlightened Athletics, No Pain, Reviled, Restriced Actions (Influence, Outmaneuver, and Tumble), and Unbreakable, which reduces any attribute damage by 1 to a minimum of 0.
  • Orcs: Orcs, in Fantasycraft Default, are basically Uruk-Hai. Orcs are Medium Bipeds, with +3 Strength and Con, and -3 Intelligence and a base speed of 30 ft. Orcs can always act during surprised round, are better at Intimidate, every time someone attacks them in melee and misses the attacker takes 2 subdual damage, they're light sensitive, and they're worse at certain skills like Calm, Decipher, and Influence.
  • Pech: Halflings and Gnomes. That's it. Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a big fan of halflings and gnomes, because of bad experiences with people thinking that being a gnome gave them free license to be a poo poo. Pech are small bipeds with +3 Dexterity and a speed of 30 ft. They're better at resolve, benefit from the first 2 food and 2 drink items they consume in a day, and have Hurled proficiency. You can play a Pech, but I won't respect you for it.
  • Rootwalker: gently caress YOU, I'M A TREE. Rootwalkers are Treants/Ents, and not in the "sexy plant girl way." No, they're walking trees. They're Large bipeds, have no ability modifiers and a speed of 30 ft. They're trees, so they suffer extra damage from fire, are immune to bleeding, only need to eat once a day, have penalties to reflex saves and get flanked easier, get natural camouflage in forests or swamps, and always have at least 2 DR.
  • Saurian: Saurians are LIZARD PEOPLE, cold blooded reptillian humanoids with fine scales and born from eggs. Saurians are medium Bipeds, with +2 to Dex, +2 to any 1 Attribute, and -2 to any 1 other Attribute, with a speed of 30 ft. They get a +1 bonus to Defense, require less food but take penalties from cold, have Darkvision I, and get the Bite and Tail Slap natural attacks.
  • UNBORN: No, you aren't Guts by taking this- You're a Golem, a robot, a Warforged. A Walking Machine. Uborn are Medium Biped Contructs, with +2 to any 1 Attribute and -4 Charisma and a speed of 20ft. They take extra damage from electricity, are better at 1 skill, have 2 fewer proficiencies, and have a -2 penalty to reflex saves and get flanked easier

In addition to these 12 races, there are Species Feats, which can be purchased using the level 1 Feat that all characters get. Species Feats are anything from "You're a drow now" to special abilities only available to a certain species. Some of these Species Feats are mutually exclusive with others.

For our Samurai, since we want to play a Half Orc, we'll have to go with Human, which means choosing a Talent. There are a lot of talents, so many that I'm not really going to list them, but trust me that they're a bunch of 'em. The Talent I went with is Industrious: It increases Constitution by 1, sets our Base Speed to 30 ft, and gives us a few benefits

• Charming: Once per Session, we may improve the Disposition of any 1 non-adversary NPC by 5.
  • Encouragement: Once per scene, you may speak to 1 of your teammates for 1 minute to grant them a +1 morale bonus with saving throws until the end of the current scene.
  • Enlightened Crafting: The maximum crafting rank for this character increases to Career Level +5.
  • Yeoman Work: We get the Yeoman's Work feat.

Onward to finishing up Origin. With our Race and Talent chosen, we move on to choosing our Specialty. Again, there are a lot of these, so I won't be listing them all. For our Samurai, I've chosen Cavalier. Cavalier helps us be better at fighting on horseback and being a noble horseman.

• Favored Gear (Mount): We get the Favored Gear Feat for a Mount
  • CRUNCH!: Strength-based damage rolls all do 1 additional damage.
  • Glory Bound: Heroic Renown costs 20 Reputation per rank for us
  • Practiced Ride: If this character spends an action die to boost a Ride check and it still fails, we gain the die back after the action is resolved
  • Triumphant Swing: We get the Triumphant Swing Trick.

Brief Sidetrack: Feats

So, Feats have come up early in this, which means now's as good of a time as any to talk about them. Feats are much as they are in 3.5 or Pathfinder, with the exception that they're all actually good, useful, and things like system Mastery aren't a thing. Let's look at the three feats we've picked up: Orc Blood, to represent this character being a Half Orc, Yeoman's Work, and Favored Gear

Orc Blood is a Blood feat, which means we can't take any more Blood style feats with it. It also has to be taken at level 1, taking up this character's level 1 feat slot. The benefits are pretty nice, though: the higher of our Strength or Constitution scores rises by 1, and we gain the Grueling Combatant quality as if we were an Orc. We also get to pick Orc only feats.

Yeoman's Work, on the other hand, is a gear feat. It does one thing, but that's important: It gives us +3 Prudence, which will be important when we get to talking about that when we finish up our character

Favored Gear is another Gear Feat. The version we got is specific to a mount, but in general, Favored Gear lets us choose 1 specific piece of Gear that we own, and lets us roll 2 Action Die whenever we spend 1 to boost a skill or attack check with it. The Item also can't be destroyed with a critical miss or a failure, and we can switch it whenever we gain a class level.

With all of that done, We have the basic skeleton of our character before we get them into a class and give them interests and equipment.

Step 3) Class

There are a number of base classes available in Fantasy Craft- for this character, who is supposed to be a Samurai, there's no real choice however. We're making our Half Orc a Lancer. A Lancer is, in the book, said to have the party role of "Combatant/Talker". They're focused on mounted combat, with an additional focus on translating their horseback abilities to social situations. Example Lancers are a Prosperous Nomad, a Chivalrous Nomad, a Samurai Warrior, a bold Tribesman, and a Wyrm Rider. Yeah, Lancer is definitely what we're going with.

So, Lancer has the following class Skills: Athletics, Impress, Intimidate, Notice, Resolve, Ride, Survival, and Tactics. It gives 4 + Intelligence Modifier skill points per level, times 4 at level 1, so we have 16 skill points to spend on those eight skills, and our two Origin Skills. Max Skill Rank at level 1 is 4, so with that? We could also, based on our Enlightened Crafting ability from Industrious, boost craft up if we wanted to make stuff.

• Athletics: 1
  • Impress: 2
  • Intimidate: 3
  • Notice: 1
  • Resolve: 1
  • Ride: 4
  • Search: 1
  • Sense Motive: 1
  • Survival: 1
  • Tactics: 1

Lancer Starts with 12+ Con Modifier Vitality, meaning we've got 13 Vitality to accompany our 13 Wounds. Then starting Lancers have 6 Proficiencies. Proficiencies in Fantasy Craft can be used to gain Proficiency in a class of weapons, used to increase a Proficiency to a Forte, or spent to obtain Tricks. Having a Forte in a weapon group gives you +1 to attacks made with weapons in that group, and let you use weapons in that group that require a Forte. Tricks are special things you can do in combat or that enhance your attacks. Because our Samurai should be good at Swords and Spears and Bows, and we have six Proficiencies, I choose to spend four of my Proficiencies on getting Edged Forte and Bow Forte. The remaining two we'll spend on Tricks: Mixup twice, once for Feint, and once for Trip.

Now let's look at what Lancer gives us at Level 1 off of it's chart. It has a Base Attack Bonus of +1, A Fortitude save of +1, a Reflex Save of +0, and a Will save of +1. It has a Defense bonus of +0, a bonus to Initiative of +2, a Lifestyle bonus of +2, and a Legend of +0. The Core Ability of Lancer is Lifetime Companion, while we get the Class Ability Born In the Saddle at this level.

Lifetime Companion gives a Lancer a mount as per the Animal Partner feat. In addition to the bonuses from Animal Partner, the mount gets replaced at no cost if lost or killed. The Lancer also gets a 20% discount to buy Mounts and Mount Accessories. Animal Partner gives the person who takes it an animal NPC with an XP value equal to or less than 50 + 5x the number of permanant terrain feats you have. This NPC is a special character, meaning it doesn't die as easily. We're getting a horse.

Born in the Saddle, on the otherhand, makes us better at both riding stuff and at intimidating people. Whenever we fail an Intimidate or Ride Check and don't suffer an error, we still suceed so long as the check DC (or our opponent's check result) is equal to or less than our Class Level + 20.

With our class done, we move on, then, to our interests

Step 4) Interests

Interests are things like an Alignment, Languages, and Studies. Alignments are, rather than a set grid like in 3.x, more akin to a choice to follow a god, a code of honor, kinship with a powerful force, or whatever; in campaigns with Miracles active, Alignments are needed to get divine spells.

Languages are, well, languages. Each Language counts as 1 Interest. Studies are a bit more... Loose. A study is just something that a character takes time to learn about. When a GM and you agree that a study relates to a skill check, you get a +1 bonus with that check. When a study relates to a Knowledge Check, you get 1 additional hint. Sharing a study with an NPC gives a +1 bonus to skill checks made to improve their Disposition. Characters start out with four Interests: A language, a Study in our native culture and homeland, and 2 additional Interests.

Step 5) Finishing Up

Okay, now we're just finishing up on this character. Action Die, which are important at always in good supply, are determined at a base level based on your level. At level 1, we've got 3#d4 Action Die to play with.

Money in Fantasy Craft is handled by Coin, which is split into two basic types, both represented in general by silver pieces. There is Cash in Hand, which is the amount of money a character has acquired in the current adventure, and can be spent freely; and Stake, which is all the money put away over time for major purchases and times of need. Stake can only be used while in a city or visiting your home. At the end of adventures, you can transfer a certain amount of coin in hand into your stake; the rest gets spent automatically during Downtime. As a new character, we start with 100 Silver x our Career level, so 100.

Lifestyle is important. It determines both a character's general style, and our knack for handling money. Lifestyle itself is divided into Panache and Prudence: Panache is our style, Prudence our money handling. Lifestyle is gained from our level in our class, along with benefits from some feats and Origins. Our Samurai has a total of 5 Lifestyle: 2 from being a level 1 Lancer, and 3 Prudence from Yeoman's Work. For the sake of having money, we put our 2 Lifestyle into Panache, meaning that we have the following benefits: We have a +1 Appearance bonus, which gives a bonus per point over another character's Appearance to Charisma based skill checks, and an income of 20s per month. Our 3 Prudence means that we convert 30% of our cash in hand into stake.

We also have 10 Reputation- Reputation is used ot purchase Renown, advancing along the Heroic, Military, and Noble Renown Tracks. The higher your renown is, the more people know who you are, the more Prizes (Read: Magic Items) you can have and keep, and the more favors you can get. Unfortunately, we start with 10 Reputation, which isn't enough to purchase Renown.

We do have 100 Silver, though, meaning we can afford to purchase some equipment.

Armor: Armor is expensive, because of course it is. Defenses in FantasyCraft don't follow the classic 3.5 "More armor makes you harder to hit" thing; Instead you have Defense, which is based on your Dexterity and own abilities, which enemies roll against to hit you. Then you have Damage Reduction, which is given by armor and some other effects, which reduces the damage done to you.

Weapons: Weapons are fairly self explainitory. Some need multiple hands to hold, some Siege weapons are too large for a normal sized character to wield, while the more powerful weapons require a Forte to use. Bows and crossbow are special- rather than each individual bow and crossbow do different damage, damage is determined by the arrow used, with most arrows and bolts doing 1d6 damage. Bows determine range and give additional qualities. Guns, on the other hand, have damage determined by the weapon being used, but do vastly more damage in exchange for some combination of taking time to load, having the unreliable tag, or both. A Dueling Pistol will do 3d4 damage and crit on an 18-20, but will malfunction on the roll of a 1, 2 or 3, and takes 7 handle item actions to reload.

Our Samurai has 100 Silver, which isn't much. What we can afford is a Short Bow to use on Horseback, a Cavalry Axe until they can afford/earn a Katana, and Partial Studded Leather Armor, leaving them with 5 Silver remaining.

With that, beyond fluff, our character is finished. While I know some people have problems with FC's character creation, I think it's fun.

The Last Orcish Samurai

Initiative: +4

Damage Reduction: 2
Defense: 11 (10+2(Dex)-1(Armor Defense Penalty))

Vitality: 13
Wounds: 13

Fortitude Save: 2
Reflex Save: 2
Will Save: 1

Cavalry Axe Attack: +4(2+1+1) to Hit, Crit on a 20, 1d8+3 Lethal Damage, AP 2 (ignores 2 DR), Cavalry (No Penalties when mounted)
Shortbow Attack: +4(2+1+1) To hit, Crit on a 19-20, 1d6+2 Lethal Damage, AP 2 (Ignores 2 DR) with Standard Arrows, Poisonous (Can be poisoned), Cavalry (No Penalties when Mounted) 15 Arrows.

Tricks:
  • Triumphant Swing
  • Mixup (Feint)
  • Mixup (Trip)

Attributes:
  • 15(+2) Strength
  • 14(+2) Dexterity
  • 13(+1) Constitution
  • 10(+0) Intelligence
  • 10(+0) Wisdom
  • 14(+2) Charisma.

Skills:
  • Athletics: 1+2
  • Impress: 2+2
  • Intimidate: 3+0
  • Notice: 1+0
  • Resolve: 1+1
  • Ride: 4+2
  • Search: 1+0
  • Sense Motive: 1+0
  • Survival: 1+0
  • Tactics: 1+0

Qualities:

• Charming: Once per Session, we may improve the Disposition of any 1 non-adversary NPC by 5.
  • Encouragement: Once per scene, you may speak to 1 of your teammates for 1 minute to grant them a +1 morale bonus with saving throws until the end of the current scene.
  • Enlightened Crafting: The maximum crafting rank for this character increases to Career Level +5.
  • CRUNCH!: Strength-based damage rolls all do 1 additional damage.
  • Glory Bound: Heroic Renown costs 20 Reputation per rank for us
  • Practiced Ride: If this character spends an action die to boost a Ride check and it still fails, we gain the die back after the action is resolved
  • Grueling Combatant: Every Time an enemy attacks this character in melee and misses, the enemy takes 2 Subdual Damage

Feats:
  • Orc Blood
  • Yeoman's Work
  • Favored Gear
  • Animal Partner

Lifestyle: 2 Panache(+1 Appearance Bonus, 20s), 3 Prudence (30% Money Saved/Earned)

Renown: 0

Interests: Orcish, Orkkaido Culture Study, Bushido Study, Equestrian Study.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
so, for Accursed, I have one suggestion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek6JZo7pbUM

WITH THE STRENGTH OF RA!

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

MonsterEnvy posted:

That is going to be talked about next time.

But it be creepy. Anything in it's light starts growing mushrooms and other fungus.

I want it to just be a giant, moon sized fungal mass. Like the Brethren Moons from Dead Space, but less "Everything in the games was for nothing and everything is hopeless, get hosed for playing these games."

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
As said elsewhere, holy poo poo this makes Ravenloft seem very much not fun, dude.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I propose we activate the "Nazi Bar" Rule in regards to this Everyone guy.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
What is this, some kind of Bone Mafia? La Cosa Skeletonostra?

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

The closest thing I can get to making the mirror doors good if you make it about their just needing to be entertained, not necessarily sexually. Maybe this door needs the players to get DRAMATIC, maybe this one likes ROMANCE(whether that's a smooch or a declaration of love between two PC's, etc.) and this other one will let the players through if they just give it a show of some good old-fashioned violence. The danger of the mirrors in the village could be that they show people a better, more interesting world than their own, and that some of them completely start losing interest in their real lives to start watching the fictional lives instead.

The Snuff Artist Rogue could just be replaced by a wannabe-rogue who has his artist henchmen do up big portraits of him being a daring villain, inflating his legend and selling them to galleries. A few merchants that he's actually tried knocking over have fallen for his false fame and surrendered their stuff rather than face him. If the players actually go after him, they realize he's just a big idiot ham who's never harmed anyone, but if they play along and let him go, they'll have a friend for life(especially if they tell everyone what a dangerous, cool badass he was).

Ugh, look, it's loving simple. How can they be so incompetent.

FLYNN RIDER!

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Bieeanshee posted:

There was a Zentraedi battlecruiser in the Lost Ships book, Gamera turtles got snuck in (which is cool, actually), the elves bred Guyvers...

I don't understand why any of this is bad.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Robindaybird posted:

I mean given in the Knightly tales you had things like Percival playing chess against himself and pitching the game into a lake for losing

What.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

NGDBSS posted:

AFAIK 5e has gone back to the 3e methods of "we'll just wing it" but more so because they're "optional" and you're choosing between them and ASIs. At least they haven't published a sourcebook's worth of feats yet.

Nope, just more and more books that are mostly "new stuff for spellcasters"

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Nessus posted:

Reminds me of a short story I read which was about the alien invasion and reduction/extermination of the defiant humans which was going pretty badly for old Homo sapiens until some guy sort of just materialized on the fleetlord's bridge. Long story short, it was Dracula.

Aliens meeting humanity under the leadership of Dracula or Draculas would probably assume that's the apex form of humans, wouldn't they?

You're thinking of David Weber's Out of the Dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Wapole Languray posted:

Yeah sorry I realised in hindsight I didn't explain what Recruit does and used the name instead of "Attendent", I've fixed that up. They are both abilities on the same path, yes. Attendent gives you an NPC Fighter companion that's as tough as a PC and has three Fighter abilities (Counter Attack lets them... counter attack enemies on a failed attack, Wild Attack does bonus damage for a bigger downside if you fail your roll, Provoke makes an enemy attack you) so they're super helpful. Attendents cost 7AP to get but stay with you until they die or you do something really lovely to betray them and make them leave. Attendents are your faithful squires, loyal retainers, student learners, etc.

Recruit is an earlier ability in the Leadership path, where for 1 AP you can point to a Commoner or Minion (Extras or Minor NPCs) and as long as they're not hostile you can order them around for the next day or until they complete whatever task you gave them. They won't do anything suicidal or stupid but otherwise it's freeform. Making it 0AP for your fans/admirers means that a Champion can do that infinitely, commanding as many NPCs they want without question as long as they think you're cool. This is really awesome because it means if you are a famous figure (Which being a Champion you are) you can basically take command of any situation as long as people have heard of you and don't hate your guts.

Fighters really combine "Deadly combatant" with "Leader of Men".

It's basically, and I hate using this comparison, the time in Avengers when Captain America starts giving orders.