Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I know someone did Genius, and I think Princess and Leviathan as well got partial writeups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

LeSquide posted:

They came out with a 1.5.1 responding to people's responses to 1.5, FYI. Someday, perhaps, I'll actually try running the drat thing again.

With GimpInBlack's permission, I'd love to hear about your thoughts on both.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Josef bugman posted:

Thinking about this, could you make it paired by having the scabbard and the sword count as the paired weapon?

That and as much as I enjoy your telling about the cool kung fu set up, I still have little idea of how to resolve things in game.

e: whoops didn't see what you were asking about specifically. You totally could if you wanted to and your GM was okay with removing the type restriction on it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

The LotW writeup makes me feel so seen all of a sudden :allears:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

GimpInBlack posted:

:D I hope my feeble attempts at explaining this system helped a little!

Yes, actually! Can't wait to see you get to the individual archetype writeups.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

So, uh, to dance around the subject some, are the reasons a lot of people would be unwilling to play Ctech that aren't the extremely poor mechanical decisions still an issue? It sounds like you had some access to setting stuff.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

The cabbages guy from Avatar, only he's fuckin' pissed

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

the only problem with calling it a deerocracy is that I keep mentally swapping 'deer' with 'cheer'

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

does animorphs count as milsf

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

avoraciopoctules posted:

Nice! I'm really hyped to see where they go with this.

Hmm, I should ask the D&D crew how interested they are in playing a party of Antifa laser owls next time we are ready to learn a new system...

Dunno about them, but I'm sold on the concept.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

There are definitely a couple of problems I have with the way the authors decided to present LotW, and the Daoist Sexuality loresheet is a pretty big one. The fact that it's opt-in doesn't change the fact that it really doesn't need to be included at all.

(another one is that I really don't like the whimsical reads-as-if-literally-translated-from-Chinese names for everything - that's always a practice that seems extremely othering to me.)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah, basically. You can (and absolutely should) say gay people exist but it shouldn't be on the weird sex stuff loresheet that honestly should have been cut.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

oh no, it's the AdEva GM advice again

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Kaza42 posted:

What was wrong with the AdEva advice? I glanced over it again, and it's mostly decent. Keep players interested, scale story focus to what the players are comfortable with, don't permanently remove characters from the game lightly, offer players OOC assurance when things are looking dark that they will recover, pace the campaign so that characters whose arc is to die or go insane only do so at the end of the game. Is there something I'm missing?

Night10194 posted:

"If the players come to you with serious concerns about the direction events are taking, you should consider your options. Don't allow yourself to be bullied into a direction contrary to your plans." combined with 0 talk of safety tools or boundaries, providing a bunch of coercive mechanics, and generally focusing the advice on 'whatever you need to say to keep them playing'.

Note the bit about 'not being bullied' is in the context of 'the players have serious concerns about tone and comfort'.

I'm just going to link Night's entire post on the AdEva GM section here, since he's covered a lot more than he quoted here

What I'm specifically comparing to AdEva is the implication that your concern should be not getting your players to quit so you can keep telling your horror story, not to make sure they're, you know, having a good time.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 15, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

The latter option sounds far more interesting tbh

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I feel like 'when you accept this mission, you must complete it or die trying' and 'the guild master routinely puts up fake quests for a laugh' are not two great tastes that go great together, and that the former seems pretty bad in general if they don't really vet or take responsibility for jobs posted beyond the bare minimum (e.g. 'oh I tricked you into reviving the lich king with my innocent-sounding request, but you still gotta do it!!!').

e: also alignment is bad and dumb

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I'd only heard good things about Mausritter so I look forward to having my vague impressions crushed.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I think it's really lovely to compare a game that is not as disgusting as FATAL to FATAL just because it has a lot of tables/random rolls in it

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

It's impossible to separate your hyperbole/comedy from your legitimate complaints, and the complaints that feel like you're the most serious about are the ones that the text itself refutes (you got me to download Mausritter to check, so good job???) - like, you don't have to roll for random features or star sign or anything, the game straight up says you can choose. The light/heavy armor thing is paying less for the option that takes up a hand slot (shield + light armor) or more for the option that leaves both hands free. Etc. Etc.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Johnny Arm Guns.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Aw, I missed the chance to get my very own christsona.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Or Tenra, or Double Cross...

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

What an odd artifact of its time. Thank you for the review.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Cythereal posted:

I am so stealing this idea.

SkyeAuroline posted:

I would 100% play your game.

By popular demand posted:

You give us all a lot to aspire to.:acab::sparkles:

Their boss was basically a cross between teen movie toxic masculinity and Revolutionary Girl Utena toxic masculinity, and we stormed his creepy 1950's suburbia fairy realm and kicked his rear end for trying to love potion my changeling knight's fetch. Turns out you actually can kill a fairy if you try hard enough.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I mean, this is the thread for posting reviews and opinions about games; it's a little strange to me that something as simple as not liking age of sigmar and giving reasons for it is getting a lot of pushback.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Now now, Zweihander's creator certainly does.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Ah, the double cross problem.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Rhylociraptors! RHYLOCIRAPTORS!!!!!

I wish I didn't dislike pvp games as much as I do, because Shinobigami has some interesting ideas. The ability matrix is one (Getsuya ran a game I was in a while back that used a similar one), but some of the choices for positioning are... kinda odd. That's a personal bugbear though.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

The four elements stuff isn't really a thing in the AGE version, is it? Kinda weird that the 5e one leans so hard into it.

e: and by kinda weird I mean 'oh this hole sure is round, and my peg sure is square'

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Didn't she win a Hugo for that acceptance speech, too?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Everyone posted:

If you ever get the F&F big again, you could always port your Myth stuff from your blog. I admit that I'm kind of addicted to that story now and am hugely excited about the DCL stuff coming up.

I Flove that much like Karl, et al from Warhammer, Karoline's secret to staying sane and functional as a Fallen Lord is that she's a genuinely nice person who cares about other people.

Night's already repeatedly said he doesn't plan on picking up F&F things again and the fact that you keep on bothering him about it when he posts about completely unrelated things is probably not going to convince him to do so.

edit to actually talk about fatal and friends: How well do the humanity rules work in practice? It seems like you only barely get enough to offset your feeding/existence but if they're tying it to advancement then that's an issue.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I love how 80s mall comedy Nightlife is a concept you could totally do.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Or just above the knee.

Due to the current Baldur's Gate LP I can't read the words 'mystra' or 'midnight' without shuddering, and it looks like that instinct will serve me well through this adventure.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Just post whatever you want to post tbh; if you just want to review the one module, do it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

must be a pretty sweet gig, getting paid to write novels twice only one time they've got some funny math rocks involved

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Buck Wildman posted:

I don't like to give pathfinder a lot of credit but pharasma did kelemvor's schtick a lot better in that she had a portfolio beyond death and her death aspect was mostly benign bureaucracy and occasionally throwing a brick at the apocalypse when it got too cheeky

Pharasma also had nosoi, which are the cutest little fuckers.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

all of these npcs are amazing except the kind of racist ones

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Lord Carmichael Altham-Edevane

edit: lord is his first name

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I remember thinking the bond powers were not particularly balanced against each other in utility or narrative strength when last I looked at the system, so I'll be interested to see if that changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

spider bethlehem posted:

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement. Also if anyone is mean to this game I love very much I will cry.

We'll get to that, but they really aren't. Some of the powers are better and some of the Bonds as a whole are just better. The Mighty is one, and The Wolf has powers that are like "okay, I should have the spotlight alone for a minute and I get extra dice while I do" which both isn't great from a narrative perspective and isn't exactly balanced against "can read everything," even if they're both cool.

Yeah, that's the problem I had back at the time, too.

I might gotta make you cry, sorry in advance.