Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I mean "it's not to my taste" does not mean "it's objectively bad", I personally think "stomping around being a hero in a space that matters locally but might not change the nature of nine whole planet-sized continents" is exactly the kind of thing I'm after...when I'm after "stomping around being a hero". When I'm after "poo poo-farming reprobates get melted into putty while screaming, the sruvivors get to be called local heroes", I'll play WFRP (just kidding I'll actually play grimDARK).

What I'm not saying is that a game with too big of a scope is bad because of it's too-big scope, like I never felt like anything I did mattered on a global scale in my long-term Exalted campaign, but I still had a blast receiving accolades and solving problems that would go unsolved permanently if I'd never bothered to show up.

Indeed, the AoS wargame has a lot of contextualizing elements in its Path to Glory campaigns.

Also yeah, Spellpunk Cyberfight is nuts. Kinda digging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

mellonbread posted:

Sure it sucks to see discussion of other topics sandwiched in between walls of text,

You come here for the discussion???

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Part of the reason I'm starting to prefer AoS over WHF is because of that breadth of scale - I actually CAN tell stories in it, with wide possibilities for different kinds of stories, without bumping into Canon the same way I would with WHF. Honestly the WHF setting is so constricting to me because the setting IS so small - I can't picture the constant battles and warfare because there just isn't enough room. Furthermore, everyone's roles are so rigidly defined in WHF you can't, like...mix it up much without MASSIVELY deviating from canon.

My own WHF stuff is much more melting pot-y (along the lines of AoS proper), but I have faced down against complaints like "There wouldn't be Khemri merchants in Ubersreik!" or "Orcs are too stupid to negotiate work contracts, they'd only want to tear the walls down!" when discussing my campaigns. I wouldn't face that nearly as readily in the AoS setting.

I like that in AoS, your dudes can genuinely be Your Dudes, with a lot of room for creativity that doesn't push against the limits of possibility. I know creativity and customization have always been a part of GW stuff, but I feel like AoS is a more nuanced setting that doesn't fall on its own sword when it comes to demands for strict conformity. I know Official Events(tm) require you to only use their minis and poo poo like that, but I play Soulbound instead of the wargame so I'll pretty much never get a GW Brand Approved Official Event anyway. I like the flexibility.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

MÖRK BORG: A PRIMER
Usability and THE END

So there is some debate about whether or not the game is accessible. As I’ve highlighted previously, there are definitely places in which it is not. My biggest hope is an eventual officially-sanctioned plaintext version (there is a :filez: version floating around, but :filez:) and an audio version to match, but there’s been very little progress on that despite demand.

Wow! Downer note to start on. The real question here is: Is it usable? What have I used it for? How would I like to use it? Borg? Huh? Good God, y’all. What is it good for? Absolutely. Something? Hey hey hey.

The answer to is it usable is an emphatic yes. It’s a massively stripped down version of the classic D&D experience, where players will doubtfullyl ever go past the equivalent of first level. Millions of people play a similar game, this is more or less that in its rawest form. Small handful of stats. D20+Modifier vs. Difficulty Rating. Bolt more stuff on for flavor. Nice!

What have I used it for? Well, here’s the sad truth folks: One-shots. I have not tested it in its campaign form yet. I understand the leveling mechanics give some edge, and even can get slightly out of control? But for the most part I’ve approached it like Paranoia or Call of Cthulhu - it really shines in a low-investment story of in-and-out thrills, spills, and chills. I’m so adapted to one-shot mode that I, again shamefully, have thus far neglected to play with the Miseries either. Woe is me!

So what would I like to use it for? Well, I’ve test-driven some of my own homebrew content, but I’d love to do more with it. I also have a rough campaign arc planned that I’d love to do - the last days of Kristian Undertrycka, arch-alchemist to Nechrubel. As I have the character planned, he’s a genius inventor who’s used some very sadistic magic to create various horrible devices for Nechrubel’s army. He’s made things like the Torture Engines, war-machines powered by the suffering of the victims within, and the Executioners of Nechrubel, partially-spectral harbingers of Nechrubel’s will who go out to slaughter threats to the dark one. He’s subjected whole villages and towns to insidious experiments to advance his master’s goals…and after all this, he’s still just a feeble old man.

I’d essentially like to just theme a campaign around his stuff, building up to eventually storming his personal fortress and gutting him, basically because even if he’s just an old guy, he’s still a monster to slay. I’d probably save the final battle for Verse 6 or even the final session when 7:7 is read and the world ends.

I’d also like to introduce some Warhammer Fantasy elements to the proceedings, or even use the setting as-is to run The Old World. Use some of the firearm rules from HERETIC, use the travel rules from FERETORY, generally if not running the Old World literally, flavor the Dying World a little bit more in that shade of British black comedy.

So what is it good for? Well, obviously the Dying World and MÖRK BORG itself. I cannot think of a more fitting game for the specific experience it wants to provide. A lot of people aren’t into that experience, but the people who are - as you can see from the fanbase - are devoted to it. If you put some corpse paint on a 0th-3rd level Dungeon from another OSR game, it could make perfect Borg fodder. And I myself would like to play around with it in other dark fantasy worlds - Warhammer Fantasy as mentioned, but also ASOIAF or my own Carrion Crows setting.

Lots of fan material has come out adapting it to other genres - the expansive (possibly even longer than the corebook!) Cthork Borg adapts the setting for classic 1920s Cthulhu Mythos investigation. Meanwhile, the upcoming Mëch Borg promises some deconstructive, giant tin can action like Escaflowne, Battletech, and Evangelion. As ever, more stuff can be found on Ex Libris MÖRK BORG.

I reckon that about wraps up my thoughts on MÖRK BORG. It’s a gritty, brutal dark fantasy game that skirts the line but never crosses good taste and isn’t written and maintained by a Jordan Peterson-loving abuse apologist and his scumfuck buddies. If that’s still not your thing, that’s cool, but if you’re looking for a real mess of a game, then everybody knows that Borg is the word.

Okay pun over, I’ll see you next time with whatever I do. Maybe MÖRK BORG CULT FERETORY + HERETIC? Putrescence Regnant? Third-party stuff? SOMETHING ELSE!? I’ll decide later but everything is as you feared - MÖRK BORG WILL RETURN.

Let's give one last round of applause for the blood-drenched skeleton. What a fabulous visual.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

By popular demand posted:

Real world merchants travelling to the other side of the world is a thing though history, why would that be controversial?
And while orcs aren't known for patiently negotiating contracts they do delegate stuff to their goblins/lackies, so no problem here (aside from the usual stuff orcs get into)

Don't ask me, I'm trying to de-grog my life.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

I'll confess all points raised thus far are valid, for and against. At my own Soulbound table I frequently default to the original names (elf, dwarf, goblin, ork, etc.) instead of trying to force myself and my players to remember that the big guy throwing rocks at them is an Orruk Megaboss or a Rockgut Troggoth, instead of just saying "the big, heavily armored orc/the huge, naked troll is wielding a giant rock, which it intends to throw at you".

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

sometimes i roll a dice and it's a good number and i go :)

but then sometimes i roll it and its a bad number and i go :(

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

[idly recalls the many, many, many times people have torn me a whole new rear end in a top hat for saying WoD is problematic]

Did you know it's the only game in the entire 90s RPG scene that had LGBT rep? This, of course, makes everything about it good and justified.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

KDL is way less edgy than the previous editions, I have zero idea what Purple is talking about. Their review is entirely in bad faith anyway - claiming that being able to call in academic resources for your academic background means "lol free nukes at chargen? game is bwoken lol"

ETA: Hell most of the content in K:DL (including some adventures) is literally just adapting stuff from 1e, which they were largely about throwing back to.

sasha_d3ath fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 20, 2022

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Hostile V posted:

[b]Let’s Read Brave New World Revolution Part 2: WIFE GONE. MISS WIFE.

It's been like a decade and I still go WHERE WIFE.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

If I'm being honest, Purple, I'm so far happy that you were soft on the GM Guide - it's pretty good - and am glad you're slaughtering these adventures because I read them when my Kickstarter package came a couple weeks ago and was originally gonna show my sister who's into the same grimdark black metal edgy poo poo as I am, and then I started getting deeper, and now I think it's under the bed.

Actually I'm a little disappointed you didn't go harder on Island, and hope you continue to go as hard on Black Madonna. Those have both sucked for ages and tbh I'm glad to see someone actually saying that, the Kult community is a bit fawning.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

You're a roachboy
And you've gone too far
Cuz you know it don't matter anyway

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Kavak posted:

AIIIIIIDS?

Could this game end with Bluebeard getting attacked by an AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPE

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

[cannibal corpse voice] FUUUUUUUUUUUCKED WITH A COOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

"The sky is green."
"Hrhglr. BNgnrk. Nhgk. Hhhh..."

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

I totally get how it would be an awesome structure for character driven one-shot horror

But jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus, this specific character driven one-shot horror.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Using Bluebeard's Bride's structure to represent an early-to-mid Sierra game where you enter a screen and either fulfill a deeply specific puzzle element or die a wryly-commented-upon death and have to reload. Every reload puts you on another screen you don't remember being at. You have to decide if the death was your fault and you'll solve the next puzzle smarter, or if you're thinking gently caress This Game and considering taking it back to Babbage's.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Everyone posted:

I want to play one round of Bluebeard's Bride with the "tell the town and get ignored/insulted" ending and then do a sequel where that bride ends up as Blackbeard's Bride and leads her new hubby into the town to plunder it and Bluebeard's castle, burning both to the ground at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7awW5nrDHk

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

[being beaten by my ghost-pirate husband] Well THAT just happened!

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

If you want my nuclear death take, what you do in Kult is the same thing you do in Call of Cthulhu. Make a hosed up lil guy, investigate some weird happenstance, get in too deep and die brutally, just that kind of a thing.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

joylessdivision posted:

All this talk about Kult has made me consider digging through my pdf library to see if I have Kult.

tbh Kult is mega unpopular around here, and even I, the local Kultpologist (I used to admin for the Discord server!!), have kind of found my peace in that I like it the way I like paperback horror or VHS trash movies, where I value more what I get out of it than what's actually visibly on the page.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Everyone posted:

Or just play Macabre Tales which does all that stuff a lot better.

A lot of games do it better? the question was what you're supposed to do in the game, not if the game should be played at all.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

"don't play V5, it's edgy poo poo made for edgelords. oWoD was never this bad, play that instead!"

oWoD: [pedophilia and bestiality in every supplement]

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Kurieg posted:

E: and people guessed that MR*H was in charge of Chechnya's chapter because he lives in Georgia(the country) and when people were complaining about it he made several long screeds about how you have to speak truth to power and whoever wrote that chapter was a very handsome and brave man who has lots of sex. And how you shouldn't punch Nazis but instead be willing to let Nazi's kill you because it will make them feel bad and other people go "hey isn't murder bad?" But once a certain Russian expressed his displeasure all those posts were deleted and replaced with "oh my God I didn't write it please stop saying I wrote it I don't want to die!"

Holy poo poo I did not know that last part lmao

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

complaining about AoS having proper noun overdose when there are two WoD games being reviewed

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Xiahou Dun posted:

Like some kind of flesh-communist.

Thread title

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Xiahou Dun posted:

The Kafkamancy blast spell is incredibly deadly, but only works on the caster's spouse.

You're thinking Burroughs.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

It was a good bit!

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

mors, what in god's name are you doing with the post subtitles, I do not understand

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

In truth we never see Sephiroth at all, because he is not physically present anywhere, merely as moving images on a screen.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Purple saying Mors just copies and pastes to make reviews is absolutely rich when Purple openly lies about the contents of books in order to make a sick slam dunk that'll make the whole thread cheer.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

PurpleXVI posted:

Well, if you could tell me what I lie about then I'd love to see it. I won't pretend I might not have missed a paragraph here and there, or perhaps have misunderstood a mechanic at times, but I've never intentionally told a lie about something I've reviewed.

If this is about Kult: Divinity Lost(other people seem to think it is and I seem to remember you were upset that I was very mean to it in the past?), then you're free to point out what I lied about. Was it the heroin poop demon that fucks you in your sleep until you can't think of anything other than the heroin poop demon? Or, you know, if you feel like I preseented it unfairly, you could make your own review where you correct my many mistakes.

The bit from the VERY beginning of the review where you say that an Academic having a military Contact gets free nukes at character creation is such a gross exaggeration that I haven't read the rest of the review because I imagine it's exactly as even-handed as that flagrant violation of the spirit and intent of the game.

Why would I write any review that has to pass the muster of someone so willfully bad faith?

EDIT: I am not going to go down as The Kult Defender, it's a poo poo game with a bunch of trash in it, but when I was a fan, reading your review of it and knowing exactly how wrong and intentionally inflammatory it was made me distrust anything else you've written, including your opinions of people like mors.

EDIT AGAIN: Also I love the way you immediately jumped to the literal worst stuff in the game and implied that's what I was defending, your ability to make everything all about you and how clever and intelligent you are is as staggering as your willingness to throw people under the bus so you can win the Writes RPG Reviews Popularity Contest.

sasha_d3ath fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 30, 2023

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

I'm not doing that for you, it's not even the point. The point is you accuse people of having contentless posts when your posts are frequently wrong behind a shield of "is just joek". You don't have a leg to stand on.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Just to make that dude mad I'm gonna do a review of something the size of like Worlds Without Number, but review each /word/ individually in its own post.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Shh, we've still got 16 more posts before we get to The, no spoilers.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Extremely lmao that his conclusion was "just make D&D again"

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

You shouldn't do it, people would Haight that.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

d e e p

h u r t i n g

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Don't forget the Thagomizer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Traveller posted:

a random serial killer and heel Contract Killer was literally named Vigo Mortensen.

"Why should I change MY name? He's the one who sucks!"